PDA

View Full Version : Clear Corners

das boots
11-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Which specific E46 facelift model came with clear corners? Someone mentioned they came either with silver or black trims. Real stock oems. Most I've seen are DEPOs. Thanks.

nike001
11-13-2011, 07:41 PM
The coupes only came with clears from the factory in the US.

As per your silver/black trims.. it seems that sport package cars came with the black trim around the corners and the others had the silver w/ the black option. I could be wrong though.. that is based purely on what I've seen.

das boots
11-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Any specific year(s)? Same as all facelift years? Which Sport Package E46?

nike001
11-13-2011, 08:29 PM
This is how I think it is..

Facelift Coupes W/ sports package got the clears
NO Facelift Sedans got clears.

And I think all sports package e46's got the black trim & inner headlight bezels

az3579
11-14-2011, 03:55 PM
This is how I think it is..

Facelift Coupes W/ sports package got the clears
NO Facelift Sedans got clears.

And I think all sports package e46's got the black trim & inner headlight bezels

European sedans did get clears.

HokieZHP
11-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Where can you get euro tails for facelift sedans?

nike001
11-14-2011, 05:34 PM
European sedans did get clears.
I took the liberty of assuming that he meant US-Spec only :)

Where can you get euro tails for facelift sedans?

Turner has OEM ones
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-904-e46-facelift-sedan-2002-2005-euro-clear-lens-package.aspx

You can get DEPO ones for ~$125 for rears from other sites like Khoalty.

Or you can scour the FS sections for a used pair.

das boots
11-14-2011, 06:45 PM
I should have seen this before I purchased the EE and DEPO lights. With just a few bucks more, I could have the real thing......But that front clear corner black trim lights sure look real purdy........And it was on a blue sedan too......Thanks for the reference with Turner....now, I can just drool. But on the other hand, they did not specify if they are OE stock from BMW.....just wondering?

nike001
11-14-2011, 08:01 PM
OEM are worth it. Though I try to get everyone OEM for my car.

As far as saying if they're OEM or not.. they have a part number listed. That pretty much tells you that they're OEM

das boots
11-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Is it also possible that the P/N that they listed is for their own? Since they do a package sale. Playing the devil's advocate here......BTW, I also sent them an email asking if the products are OEM. We shall see of their response. Don't know how long it will take tho.... Also, what is an "inner headlight bezels"?

Edit: Follow-up. I got a reply from Turner's. I was just inquiring for the front corners. Anybody ever heard of manufacturer ULO? Also, after going through their website, their lights are all OEMs.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1137-e46-sedan-2002-05-clear-front-turn-signals-pair.aspx

KHOALTY
11-16-2011, 10:47 PM
If you are buying OEM, go to tischer bmw (getbmwparts.com) they are a bmw dealership that doesn't due alot of mark up, no point going to other sources on OEM BMW parts when you can go to the source and cut all middle men out. There is also United BMW, ask for Dan.

das boots
11-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Roger that. But could not find the correct P/Ns from RealOEM. So, I shelf that project for now......BTW, where have you been? We missed you on the last month's lunch get together with the group with Allen Reyes, Patrick Sarne, Steven Tom & Mark Radelow and the rest????

KHOALTY
11-17-2011, 08:27 AM
I would email the guys to get the quote.

Just been working alot and getting ready for the christmas season to ensure backorders will be far and few. I don't want to be the person who screwed up someone's christmas, so I have to ensure inventory is up to par to handle the coming traffic.

das boots
11-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Hope you make the next one....

HokieZHP
11-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Does anyone know what the rep's name at tischer is who is on e46f? He always tells us to email him for even better pricing and such.

das boots
11-17-2011, 12:02 PM
I just communicated with Mike Kent of thebmwpartsstore.com. He will get back to me when he gets results. gethelp@getbmwparts.com. It's either Evan or Jason.

nike001
11-17-2011, 01:46 PM
OP, I'm not sure what you're trying to figure out.

The BMW lights from turner are OE. They are not some cheap replica rip off.

Headlight bezels these:
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo37/bsktsk8ter9/af1eac40.jpg

das boots
11-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Comparing prices....Now I know what's a bezel. Thanks for the pic.

KHOALTY
11-18-2011, 04:48 PM
OP, I'm not sure what you're trying to figure out.

The BMW lights from turner are OE. They are not some cheap replica rip off.

Not to be a jerk, but some of the lighting is OE, some are from taiwan, not all of the lighting they carry is OE. LED taillights are eagle eyes, made in Taiwan, a replication of the OE coupe tails. The smoked taillights that are in LED are also made in Taiwan, replica as well. There are varies of replicas out there, the only lighting that is popular and reliable is DEPO and Eagle Eyes.

The pricing turner charges for OE is almost the same pricing as if you buy from tischer bmw if not a little more.

Everyone has different degrees on how deep their pockets can go, people can pay 95 dollars for pair of OE corners or pay 35 for a pair of Depo corners, its all preference, just bc it is cheaper doesn't mean it junk. Countries all have wages so that also takes in turn of what the price of retail should be.

nike001
11-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Not to be a jerk, but some of the lighting is OE, some are from taiwan, not all of the lighting they carry is OE. LED taillights are eagle eyes, made in Taiwan, a replication of the OE coupe tails. The smoked taillights that are in LED are also made in Taiwan, replica as well. There are varies of replicas out there, the only lighting that is popular and reliable is DEPO and Eagle Eyes.

The pricing turner charges for OE is almost the same pricing as if you buy from tischer bmw if not a little more.

Everyone has different degrees on how deep their pockets can go, people can pay 95 dollars for pair of OE corners or pay 35 for a pair of Depo corners, its all preference, just bc it is cheaper doesn't mean it junk. Countries all have wages so that also takes in turn of what the price of retail should be.

I didn't mean ALL of their lights are OE. I meant that the set that I linked earlier in the thread are OE.

sna77
11-19-2011, 05:19 PM
ULO is the OEM manufacturer of the sedan non-headlights. Turners kit is indeed OEM. USA dealers cannot sell the European lights because they are not DOT approved.

You can either buy the lights at TMS or have someone in the EU buy them for you and ship them to the states.

nike001
11-19-2011, 05:27 PM
ULO is the OEM manufacturer of the sedan non-headlights. Turners kit is indeed OEM. USA dealers cannot sell the European lights because they are not DOT approved.

You can either buy the lights at TMS or have someone in the EU buy them for you and ship them to the states.

I wonder why they're not DOT approved..

sna77
11-20-2011, 04:32 AM
Has to do with amber reflectors. Before the latest generation of cars, BMW made 2 sets of lights, ambers for the US and clears for the rest of the world. BMW put the amber reflector in the headlight itself. At some point they must have realized that it was cheaper to make 2 sets of bumpers--one with reflectors for the US market and one without for the rest of the world. In order to be DOT compliant, you’d need amber reflectors in your front bumper. BMW went this way on the facelifted coupes. The headlights are clear, but the US bumpers have the horrible reflector…

sna77
11-20-2011, 04:37 AM
Facelifted coupe example. Just one set of headlights for the world, 2 bumpers:

Euro bumper:

US Bumper:
http://cardekh.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/BMW-330Ci-cars-wallpapers.jpg

das boots
11-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Has to do with amber reflectors. Before the latest generation of cars, BMW made 2 sets of lights, ambers for the US and clears for the rest of the world. BMW put the amber reflector in the headlight itself. At some point they must have realized that it was cheaper to make 2 sets of bumpers--one with reflectors for the US market and one without for the rest of the world. In order to be DOT compliant, you’d need amber reflectors in your front bumper. BMW went this way on the facelifted coupes. The headlights are clear, but the US bumpers have the horrible reflector…

I get it...While the Sedans do not have the amber reflectors, they do have the amber corners. Anything amber in front just to be DOT compliant.

sna77
11-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Yep.. BMW used to make amber stickers for the e36 bumpers to make them DOT compliant with clears. I havent seen them in ages though--probably becasue they never sold one ever. :)

das boots
11-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks. Great information.

imola red zhp
11-24-2011, 12:08 PM
is this a good price??

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-904-e46-facelift-sedan-2002-2005-euro-clear-lens-package.aspx

danewilson77
11-24-2011, 12:32 PM
is this a good price??

Spose that is oem stuff. Probably compared to dealer it might be. Individually price it out at Tischer.

I got my clears from Khoa for about 1/3 of that.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

sna77
11-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Again, you can't buy those parts at Tischer or any USA dealer. The Turner Motor Sports is the best price for OEM clears.

/thread.

:)

nike001
11-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Again, you can't buy those parts at Tischer or any USA dealer. The Turner Motor Sports is the best price for OEM clears.

/thread.

:)

/thread.:thumbup

Crickett
01-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Damnit, clears & RCR (LED) tails are really starting to grow on me . . . I may soon be defecting from the Amber Army! :facepalm

danewilson77
01-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Damnit, clears & RCR (LED) tails are really starting to grow on me . . . I may soon be defecting from the Amber Army! :facepalm

It's only a matter of time.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

nike001
01-16-2012, 12:42 PM

I was unsure at first about my (our) color with clears. The front definitely improved with them..and I was unsure about the rears. The car can definitely pull off amber rears, but I've grown to love the rear clears
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo37/bsktsk8ter9/DSC_0896.jpg

Newjack
01-16-2012, 04:20 PM
I was unsure at first about my (our) color with clears. The front definitely improved with them..and I was unsure about the rears. The car can definitely pull off amber rears, but I've grown to love the rear clears
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo37/bsktsk8ter9/DSC_0896.jpg

RCR tails on your car are the only ones I would go with. The clear tail fades into the silver for a really nice mouthwatering effect. :thumbsup

nike001
01-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Sometimes I think about smoking them. Kmoy has an awesome DIY for his car..and they came out near perfect. I probably would have went a littttle lighter, but still awesome nonetheless.
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/50/img1360g.jpg

danewilson77
01-16-2012, 06:32 PM
I think it looks great.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Johal E32
01-16-2012, 07:15 PM
OEM clears all around are definitely on my list of things to do.. I think they look damn good, and they are different from seeing all the other e46 sedan's with ambers..

nike001
01-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Johal, I'd jump on these:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897340

das boots
01-17-2012, 09:10 AM
R/C/Rs are not LEDs, right? What makes them so different aside from replacing the ambers with clear?

Crickett
01-17-2012, 09:17 AM
R/C/Rs are not LEDs, right? What makes them so different aside from replacing the ambers with clear?

Nothing; some (e.g. me) just prefer sedan-style R/C/R to coupe-style C/R.

nike001
01-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Nothing; some (e.g. me) just prefer sedan-style R/C/R to coupe-style C/R.

+1. Coupe style LEDs on sedans bug the sh!t out of me. They look out of place.

das boots
01-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Oh well. Too late. I purchased the C/R LEDs when I was told that LEDs are tops and new to the ZHP scene. Thinking there were only two types of rears. LEDs & stock. Stuck with what I got. Live and learn...

yura
01-17-2012, 02:00 PM
My '05 Canadian ZHP coupe came w/ clear front corners - it's even in the options list!

nike001
01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
My '05 Canadian ZHP coupe came w/ clear front corners - it's even in the options list!

Coupes w/ the sports package came with clears from the factory IIRC. Sedans never did.

Newjack
01-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Oh well. Too late. I purchased the C/R LEDs when I was told that LEDs are tops and new to the ZHP scene. Thinking there were only two types of rears. LEDs & stock. Stuck with what I got. Live and learn...

I got Smoked/Red LEDs on my sedan. They look great and I have no complaints about them (So far). It's all about what you like. Not everyone has the same taste in aesthetics, this is why cars come in more than one color.

Johal E32
01-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Johal, I'd jump on these:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897340

wow, good deal. If that other member falls through I may get them.. I was thinking of checking ebay.de for a set or rcr's.