PDA

View Full Version : Full detail with mixed results

echo46
11-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Spent most of Saturday and Sunday doing a fairly complete detail.
1. Washed thoroughly.
2. Clayed.
3. Meguiars Deep Paint Cleaner-step 1
4. Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Heavy swirl remover with an orange pad and my Porter Cable.
5. Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Advanced Finishing Polish with a white pad and my Poter Cable
6. Did not wax yet, that will be tonight. Not sure what wax yet.

I must say that I was a bit disappointed with the Pinnacle products. The paint looks pretty good but the swirl remover did a very average job. Maybe I should have gone with a more aggressive cutting compound. Still looks pretty damn good though.

ryankokesh
11-14-2011, 06:53 AM
:worthless :begging

Ryans323i
11-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Pics or it didn't happen! j/k

Sounds like you put in work. I'm surprised a "heavy swirl remover" didn't cut as much as you intended.

Would like some pics though!

M0nk3y
11-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Pinnacle isn't really meant for hard CC, it's perfect for soft cars like Honda and Mitsubishi

DetailersDomain
11-14-2011, 08:52 AM
I would consider using either the Meguiar's DA Microfiber Compound D300 (https://detailersdomain.com/Meguiars-DA-Microfiber-Compound-D300_p_552.html) and Menzerna SF4000. (https://detailersdomain.com/Menzerna-SF-4000-aka-Super-Finish-PO106FA_p_134.html)

echo46
11-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys, after she is waxed I will put some pictures up. What do you guys think of the Meguiars M105 compound followed by the M205?

DetailersDomain
11-14-2011, 09:50 AM
if you have a pc I would go for the new da microfiber system products.

M0nk3y
11-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys, after she is waxed I will put some pictures up. What do you guys think of the Meguiars M105 compound followed by the M205?

That's my go-to polish right now. I follow up with PO85RD to jewel, but that's because I'm OCD and want it perfect. I'm using a rotary though, which the M105/205 was designed for.

It will work fine on a PC, just expect longer work times and about 80-90% correction.

if you have a pc I would go for the new da microfiber system products.

Doesn't that require new pads as well? I know that product is just out on the market and getting fantastic reviews, but since OP already has Orange and White LCC pads, wouldn't it be more cost effective to get sample bottles and do a couple test panels?

DetailersDomain
11-14-2011, 11:15 AM
That's my go-to polish right now. I follow up with PO85RD to jewel, but that's because I'm OCD and want it perfect. I'm using a rotary though, which the M105/205 was designed for.

It will work fine on a PC, just expect longer work times and about 80-90% correction.

Doesn't that require new pads as well? I know that product is just out on the market and getting fantastic reviews, but since OP already has Orange and White LCC pads, wouldn't it be more cost effective to get sample bottles and do a couple test panels?

yes you would but let me tell you its going to be worth it they really got it right this time.

echo46
11-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Ok I'll bite, what pads do you suggest?

M0nk3y
11-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Ok I'll bite, what pads do you suggest?

They are special MF pads designed with the system. I'll let Phil chime in with the specifics.

echo46
11-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Ok, definitely interested. How much paint correction can I expect? Swirls, scratches and to what degree? How effective will I be able to be with the PC. Really not confident to risk a rotary. I have gotten pretty good results with thePC on my e36. What wax do you recommend? I would conjecture that the referenced system has it's own wax? A friend of mine gave me a bottle of meguiars nxt tech wax 2.0 to sample. Is this any good?

DetailersDomain
11-14-2011, 08:02 PM
you can use the Meg's MF Cutting Disc (http://www.detailersdomain.com/Meguiars-5-DA-Microfiber-Cutting-Disc-2-Pack_p_553.html) and the Uber Green Pad.

echo46
11-15-2011, 04:38 AM
Thanks

echo46
11-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Well I wasn't very happy with the Pinnacle finish polish so I went back and redid the final polish using the Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish. Used a white pad with the PC. What a difference, that shit rules. As soon as it stops raining here I will post some pics. That polish combined with the wax really gives it that deep wet look. Love it. Next time I will try the Meguiars DA compound. By the way, what wax to you suggest for next time. Actually, I will be detailing wifey's 2003 Land Rover HSE and my 1995 e36. What products do you guys suggest.

In the end this detail took about ten hours and a lot of work but looks really good. I give you guys that do this for a living a lot of credit.

M0nk3y
11-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Well I wasn't very happy with the Pinnacle finish polish so I went back and redid the final polish using the Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish. Used a white pad with the PC. What a difference, that shit rules. As soon as it stops raining here I will post some pics. That polish combined with the wax really gives it that deep wet look. Love it. Next time I will try the Meguiars DA compound. By the way, what wax to you suggest for next time. Actually, I will be detailing wifey's 2003 Land Rover HSE and my 1995 e36. What products do you guys suggest.

In the end this detail took about ten hours and a lot of work but looks really good. I give you guys that do this for a living a lot of credit.

Be careful with the Megs Step 2 Polish, it contains alot of fillers. Don't be surprised if the swirls appear again after a wash or 2.

I use Dodo Juice for my wax, but I've used Poorboys Nattys Red with really good results.

echo46
11-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Damn, I knew it was too good to be true. Well I will do another full detail in the spring and try your suggestions.