PDA

View Full Version : Winter Washing Options

kayger12
12-22-2010, 06:03 PM
So, for those who live in an area where the winter climate precludes hand washing of your baby, what is the preferred option for keeping her clean with the least amount of damage.

Brushless car wash? Neoprene auto wash?

My 325 had tons of swirl marks so I wasn't as concerned. The ZHP, however, has great looking paint and I'd like to keep it that way.

danewilson77
12-22-2010, 07:50 PM
I have done this twice this winter. Costs me 3 bux each time. I roll into a wash it yourself car wash.

1. Rinse and get car wet.
2. Then, Put it on soapy foam brush setting. Do not use the brush on the car. I just splatter soap all over the car....and put the brush away.
3. I then pull out my micro fiber rag/towel, and wash the entire car.
4. Rinse, and make sure you don't get too close with the high pressure jet, as you can actually force dirt into the wax.
5. Final rinse with the DI H2O.
6. Then take it for a spin dry...to my house....and I finish drying there.
7. If I missed any spots...I will touch up with Meguilers spray detailer.

Idk if this is best...but it works. Pretty good for me while the hoses are frozen.

kayger12
12-22-2010, 07:53 PM
I like it. Thanks.

danewilson77
12-22-2010, 07:58 PM
its what I do. No prob...lol

The other option is that waterless car wash....

Optimum No Rinse Wash (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?368-Optimum-No-Rinse).

kayger12
12-22-2010, 08:03 PM
That's why you're the man. Was just getting ready to search for that thread.

mimalmo
12-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Dane's advice is good. Also, its nice if you can find a quality touchless wash for when you're in a hurry and don't have time to do all those steps or are on your way someplace wearing nice clothes. Avoid the places that have those tracks you drive into. You'll damage your wheels or bottom out the car (or both).

kayger12
12-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Dane's advice is good. Also, its nice if you can find a quality touchless wash for when you're in a hurry and don't have time to do all those steps or are on your way someplace wearing nice clothes. Avoid the places that have those tracks you drive into. You'll damage your wheels or bottom out the car (or both).

Good stuff-- Got a touchless right around the corner. Between that and Dane's post I'll be good to go.

pyreguy
12-22-2010, 08:31 PM
I thought the touchless ones used enough water pressure to damage your doors seals and stuff... I always avoided the one right by my house.

danewilson77
12-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah...those are a last resort for me. Additionally...if my car is just a lil dusty (in the winter).....I won't wash.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-22-2010, 08:35 PM
My current BMWs have never seen anything other than a hand wash. Luckily the weather cooperates. None of that 20-degree weather here.

kayger12
12-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Ok. Thanks gents. Looks like the DW post#2 system will be in use this winter.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Dane's method, detailed in post two, looks pretty good to me.

mimalmo
12-22-2010, 08:43 PM
My current BMWs have never seen anything other than a hand wash. Luckily the weather cooperates. None of that 20-degree weather here.

The carwashes around me don't open if it's around 0 degrees or colder. You wouldn't want to anyhow. Everything freezes immediately. Luckily, that super cold stuff usually only lasts for a couple days here. The rest of the time its more like teens and twenties through winter.

Pooters
12-23-2010, 09:31 AM

I'm jealous.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Ben, you know there is room for you in SoCal.

az3579
12-24-2010, 10:51 AM
its what I do. No prob...lol

The other option is that waterless car wash....

Optimum No Rinse Wash (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?368-Optimum-No-Rinse).

For. The. Win.
Around here, where you'd be hard pressed to find a touchless wash anywhere nearby, this is the ideal method. Hell, I'm gonna go ONR the car right now.

MrMaico
12-30-2010, 02:47 PM
My car is hibernating for the winter but in the summer I usually do either a hand wash or the do it yourself coin-op pressure wash. We have so many bugs around here in the summer that it's nice to just hit the coin op to get them off everything. I never use the brush at those places though, just the wand.

I was out one night last spring for a drive down along the river and some idiot didn't know how to adjust his underground sprinkler and before i knew it I was driving through a shower of water that left white water spots all over my car so I hit up a touchless that night around midnight. That's the only time the BMW has been through one but I use them all the time for my other vehicles.....never had a problem. One nice thing about them for you guys that drive your cars all winter is I believe most of them have an underbody spray that hits the bottom side of your car as you drive (slowly) into the washbay, at least the one I use does. Might be a good idea to use one now and then to get the salt and crap off the undercarriage.

Days like today I really wish I lived farther south! Temp right now at 4pm is -1 with the wind gusting to 30mph giving a wind chill of -22! I'm just glad I'm off for the next 3 days, supposed to warm up some by Sunday. A couple of days ago it was 40 though, that sure felt nice.

Barry

pyreguy
12-30-2010, 02:51 PM
We are at 71 and the high was 74...

az3579
12-31-2010, 06:44 AM

:shifty

mimalmo
12-31-2010, 06:54 AM

I just got back from a trip to Miami. Talk about temperature swings...

Marcus-SanDiego
12-31-2010, 07:08 AM
I just got back from a trip to Miami. Talk about temperature swings...

Oh, man. I can imagine.

3ZHPGUY
12-31-2010, 12:37 PM
When I need to I do the same as Dane but I use the brush. I've been lucky this year so far and haven't resorted to that yet. The wife was driving 100 miles a day to work and back so, if it's not going to be good weather for a few days it's a wast of time and money. Today New Years Eve, I lucked out and just finished the vert and the ZHP in near 60 degree temps. That seldom happens this time of year in northern Ohio. I think this weekend was the first over freezing since Thanksgiving. Whenever it gets above 40, I will wash them at home, below 25 I just leave them or else everything freezes up.