PDA

View Full Version : Speed of the site

Marcus-SanDiego
12-23-2010, 07:16 AM
This is the fastest I've seen it around here in the morning in some time.

We've done a couple of things. One, the size of signatures has been reduced. Not sure how much of a difference that makes, but it's a start. Also, I talked about limiting the number of times you use your signature in each thread. Scratch that. My research suggests that it doesn't matter if you use if infrequently. The size of the signature is more important for what we're trying to do here (optimize speed). So, don't worry about using your signature just once per thread.

Two, yesterday we changed some of the memory parameters on the site. Some of them were too low, creating resource issues. The site has been humming along a lot faster since that tweak.

We also rebooted the container yesterday, because we were getting a MySQL error for some parts of the site.

I also changed the redirect coding on the site. Some of you may notice, from time to time, a redirect notice when you try to go to our home page. We had an older-style redirect code up until yesterday morning. We now have a more modern redirect style, which reduces the hangups you may have noticed when calling the home page. You may still see that redirect language but you'll move through to the home forum page more quickly.

Meanwhile, if you're wondering why there is a redirect notice there in the first place, that's because I have some features of the site that are still hidden. Eventually, the home page at ZHPMafia.com will have an editorial home page, where you will see articles about member rides, BMW news, etc. I conscientiously rolled out the forum first, though, because, let's face it, that's mostly what we're interested in. When the site's membership grows, I will roll out that home page.

Finally, we optimized many of the software tables. There were lots of fragments floating around. This is akin to doing a defrag on your PC every now and then.

As of this morning, I am quite pleased with the performance of the site. I typically notice slow downs on the site during the morning hours. During the evening, the site hums right along. This morning I am seeing no slowdowns at all.

So, thanks for humoring me on the signature issue. It's much appreciated.

mimalmo
12-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Seems to be much better than it was 48 hours ago.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-23-2010, 07:41 AM
I just added this to the post:

I also changed the redirect coding on the site. Some of you may notice, from time to time, a redirect notice when you try to go to our home page. We had an older-style redirect code up until yesterday morning. We now have a more modern redirect style, which reduces the hangups you may have noticed when calling the home page. You may still see that redirect language but you'll move through to the home forum page more quickly.

Meanwhile, if you're wondering why there is a redirect notice there in the first place, that's because I have some features of the site that are still hidden. Eventually, the home page at ZHPMafia.com will have an editorial home page, where you will see articles about member rides, BMW news, etc. I conscientiously rolled out the forum first, though, because, let's face it, that's mostly what we're interested in. When the site's membership grows, I will roll out that home page.

danewilson77
12-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Hey Marky....what ever happened to the Tirerack banner?

Marcus-SanDiego
12-23-2010, 07:57 AM
It's at the bottom of the site. Home page.

danewilson77
12-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Yeah...I ended up finding....thanks

Mike V
12-24-2010, 10:46 PM
I noticed it's much faster today! It was running pretty slow a couple days ago.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Mike, thanks for chiming in. Glad to hear it's moving faster for you, too. I'm happy with the performance right now.