PDA

View Full Version : I am out of my probationary period -- 90 days of shooting

Marcus-SanDiego
11-21-2011, 08:07 AM
As of yesterday, I have been shooting with my camera for 90 days. I've learned a ton of stuff, but I wanted to highlight some of the things that allowed me to get to where I am right now.

First, it's so important to understand exposure. A thorough understanding of shutter speed, ISO, and aperture (and how the three interact) is essential. I've never shot in anything other than manual mode, so it was important for me to learn this part of photography immediately. For those who are just picking up a camera, I advise you to get out of automatic mode as soon as you can. It's akin to touch typing. At first, you'll be slow. Eventually, though, you'll be ripping right along.

Second, there is no substitute for getting out there and shooting as often as you can. I rarely passed up an opportunity to use my camera. Whenever someone would invite me to shoot, I did it. Also, not only did I shoot with Casey, I had the chance to shoot with other established photographers. I jumped at the chance to watch others point their camera.

Three, find a good mentor if you have that option. A mentor has already made all of the mistakes. A mentor has already learned all of the tricks and tips. A mentor has already seen a lot of different scenarios. If you can find a photographer who is willing to impart all of their wisdom and knowledge to you, you'd be a fool to pass it up.

Four, shoot in all kinds of conditions. Don't just shoot during the golden hour (sunrise and sunset). I challenged myself to shoot at all different times. Because of that, I know what kind of issues arise during the midday sun or moonless evening. I know what happens in high contrast shots. I know what happens when light is minimal (during the evening). In the future, when I am confronted with a challenging shot (because of the time of day), I won't be an inexperienced newbie who can't handle the prevailing conditions.

Five, learn your editing software. If you use Lightroom, learn it inside and out. If you use Photoshop, master it. Your editing software can turn a really good picture into something better (Casey taught me that). On the flipside, though, software isn't going to rescue a turd from the toilet.

Six, learn how to evaluate your pictures. If you are asking for help, and want a critique, be sure to put your best stuff out there. Don't throw a bunch of photos, of varying quality, out there to be critiqued. It's not helpful to you and it won't be appreciated by those who are trying to help you.

Seven, understand that your camera is a tool. In the right hands, someone can take wonderful pictures. If the wrong hands, it's not all that helpful. To wit: I can give a carpenter a hammer and nails, which will result in a wonderful creation. Give me a hammer and nails and I may get two boards affixed to something.

I often see people try to buy their way out of lousy fundamentals. They have not mastered the fundamentals of photography, so they think that a new camera or new lenses are the answer. It's not. Often, the photographer just isn't very good. Instead of going back and learning how to take a good picture, the person will upgrade the camera body or upgrade lenses. When that doesn't work, they'll upgrade again. If you've got a boatload of money, knock yourself out, Bad Picture Guy. The rest of us, with budgets, need to learn how to master the fundamentals.

Eight, shoot as often as possible. Yes, I know. This is point two again. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to practice. You only get better when you're practicing your craft. Practice, practice, practice. Casey has a Coke can that he shoots -- a lot. I use Zippy a lot. Zippy is my Coke can. People who only shoot when they're inspired will get passed up by those who shoot all the time. My long-term goal is to take inspiring shots. My goal is not to shoot only when I am inspired.

Finally, a shout out to Casey is in order. During my earliest days, he was really patient with me. He answered any question I had about photography. He also gave me some very critical feedback. If you want to get good at photography, you should have thick thin. The best advice and feedback I got was not easy on the ears. My early stuff was cringe worthy. I look back on some of the stuff I shot in August and September and I giggle. Still, I got past it. I continued to practice and I continued to learn. I'm just lucky that I had a mentor like Casey to get me over some of the humps. So, thanks, Casey. I'm glad you had the patience to get me to where I am today: day 91.

I have an old saying. It's this: check back with me in a year. We'll see where I am then. Until then, you can find me practicing and learning.

kpro
11-21-2011, 08:29 AM
What body are you shooting with? After this weekend in Vegas, I really want to get back into it...I'm going to need something to do after I move to Jersey.

This was a really good write up Mark...and you're photos have gotten better and better as you've progressed along the last few months. I'm very impressed :)

billschusteriv
11-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Nice stuff boss. Well written.

I like the tip on just shooting. I need to stop waiting to be in the mood or inspired to shoot...

Marcus-SanDiego
11-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Forgot one more thing. Read the manual! Don't skip that.

Kristen, I'm using a Nikon D700. It's great for low light conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C Withers Media
11-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Nice stuff boss. Well written.

I like the tip on just shooting. I need to stop waiting to be in the mood or inspired to shoot...

This kills a lot of people.

I have a theory, you can wait to be inspired or you can go out and start inspiring.

UdubBadger
11-21-2011, 10:53 AM
As of yesterday, I have been shooting with my camera for 90 days. I've learned a ton of stuff, but I wanted to highlight some of the things that allowed me to get to where I am right now.

First, it's so important to understand exposure. A thorough understanding of shutter speed, ISO, and aperture (and how the three interact) is essential. I've never shot in anything other than manual mode, so it was important for me to learn this part of photography immediately. For those who are just picking up a camera, I advise you to get out of automatic mode as soon as you can. It's akin to touch typing. At first, you'll be slow. Eventually, though, you'll be ripping right along.

Second, there is no substitute for getting out there and shooting as often as you can. I rarely passed up an opportunity to use my camera. Whenever someone would invite me to shoot, I did it. Also, not only did I shoot with Casey, I had the chance to shoot with other established photographers. I jumped at the chance to watch others point their camera.

Three, find a good mentor if you have that option. A mentor has already made all of the mistakes. A mentor has already learned all of the tricks and tips. A mentor has already seen a lot of different scenarios. If you can find a photographer who is willing to impart all of their wisdom and knowledge to you, you'd be a fool to pass it up.

Four, shoot in all kinds of conditions. Don't just shoot during the golden hour (sunrise and sunset). I challenged myself to shoot at all different times. Because of that, I know what kind of issues arise during the midday sun or moonless evening. I know what happens in high contrast shots. I know what happens when light is minimal (during the evening). In the future, when I am confronted with a challenging shot (because of the time of day), I won't be an inexperienced newbie who can't handle the prevailing conditions.

Five, learn your editing software. If you use Lightroom, learn it inside and out. If you use Photoshop, master it. Your editing software can turn a really good picture into something better (Casey taught me that). On the flipside, though, software isn't going to rescue a turd from the toilet.

Six, learn how to evaluate your pictures. If you are asking for help, and want a critique, be sure to put your best stuff out there. Don't throw a bunch of photos, of varying quality, out there to be critiqued. It's not helpful to you and it won't be appreciated by those who are trying to help you.

Seven, understand that your camera is a tool. In the right hands, someone can take wonderful pictures. If the wrong hands, it's not all that helpful. To wit: I can give a carpenter a hammer and nails, which will result in a wonderful creation. Give me a hammer and nails and I may get two boards affixed to something.

I often see people try to buy their way out of lousy fundamentals. They have not mastered the fundamentals of photography, so they think that a new camera or new lenses are the answer. It's not. Often, the photographer just isn't very good. Instead of going back and learning how to take a good picture, the person will upgrade the camera body or upgrade lenses. When that doesn't work, they'll upgrade again. If you've got a boatload of money, knock yourself out, Bad Picture Guy. The rest of us, with budgets, need to learn how to master the fundamentals.

Eight, shoot as often as possible. Yes, I know. This is point two again. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to practice. You only get better when you're practicing your craft. Practice, practice, practice. Casey has a Coke can that he shoots -- a lot. I use Zippy a lot. Zippy is my Coke can. People who only shoot when they're inspired will get passed up by those who shoot all the time. My long-term goal is to take inspiring shots. My goal is not to shoot only when I am inspired.

Finally, a shout out to Casey is in order. During my earliest days, he was really patient with me. He answered any question I had about photography. He also gave me some very critical feedback. If you want to get good at photography, you should have thick thin. The best advice and feedback I got was not easy on the ears. My early stuff was cringe worthy. I look back on some of the stuff I shot in August and September and I giggle. Still, I got past it. I continued to practice and I continued to learn. I'm just lucky that I had a mentor like Casey to get me over some of the humps. So, thanks, Casey. I'm glad you had the patience to get me to where I am today: day 91.

I have an old saying. It's this: check back with me in a year. We'll see where I am then. Until then, you can find me practicing and learning.

hella good advice right there.

imola red zhp
11-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Great write up Marcus ....keeps me inspired .....

sent from Dennis' Droid using tapatalk

mimalmo
11-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Great advice Marcus.

pleasecorrupt
11-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Also, not only did I shoot with Casey, I had the chance to shoot with other established photographers.

Without context, this can sound hurtful towered Casey haha. Anyways, although I agree whole heartedly with everything you've said, but I feel that there is not always a need to shoot in manual, shooting in aperture priority or shutter speed controls can give you sufficient control of the camera so I'd suggest shooting in those and learning how the camera automatically selects an appropriate aperture or shutter speed according to conditions and then shooting in full manual when you know exactly what they do and you know what you want the camera to do.

Also like how Marcus was opposed to getting into photography less than a year ago because of the obvious costs that would make him poor:P

Marcus-SanDiego
11-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Without context, this can sound hurtful towered Casey haha. Anyways, although I agree whole heartedly with everything you've said, but I feel that there is not always a need to shoot in manual, shooting in aperture priority or shutter speed controls can give you sufficient control of the camera so I'd suggest shooting in those and learning how the camera automatically selects an appropriate aperture or shutter speed according to conditions and then shooting in full manual when you know exactly what they do and you know what you want the camera to do.

Also like how Marcus was opposed to getting into photography less than a year ago because of the obvious costs that would make him poor:P

Yeah. But I did say "other" established photographers, which implies that Casey is established, too. :biggrin

I recommend that people get out of auto mode as soon as they can. I am sure that shooting in AP is fine but if you want full control of your camera, work toward getting to manual mode.

Regarding my comment about being reluctant to enter the photography market -- because of the costs -- that comment still stands. This is an expensive habit. Still, I'm glad I decided to join you guys. It's a great hobby.

C Withers Media
11-21-2011, 01:30 PM
If I had an outline that described a C Withers Media training course, all of these items would be present.

C Withers Media
11-21-2011, 01:37 PM

Why would I take that hurtfully without context? I know where I stand in this industry and a chance to shoot with great people is an opportunity to learn.

I also agree that there are situations where aperture and shutter priority can be helpful, even beneficial, however Marcus has only been shooting for 3 months and is sticking to fundamentally basic situations. He is accomplishing these tasks by not letting the camera guess for him. If I take him out to do rolling shot or we on the sidelines of the Holiday Bowl, he will learn the benefits of shutter priority. If I were to shoot with him in a situation that was low and constant changing light he may see value in aperture priority. For right now, he is handling all of the tasks he has put in front of himself in manual and he is handling it well with full control of his camera.

SoarinZHP
11-21-2011, 01:41 PM
I agree with everything said.

It's amazing what kind of crap for photos people will buy.

I have a friend who is considers herself to be a 'professional' photographer.

All her pictures are under exposed... They're hideous. Yet, people spend their hard earned money....

Um, I think I should take my medication today.... I'm not being very family oriented. Sorry.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-21-2011, 02:58 PM
I am with you.

I have seen people who call themselves professional. Just because someone pays you to take a picture does not make you a pro. Some of these guys are just plain hacks. I know others who do not call themselves professional. Yet they take pro-quality pictures.

I've had people offer to buy my files, so that they can make a print of my pictures. Am I a pro if someone buys those files? Please. Get out of town. I'm just a hobbyist who managed to sell a file. I'm not a professional.

In San Diego I know several people who run around calling themselves professional. Many of them do not get paid for their work but, on occasion, they do get paid something for their time. As far as I can tell, they're no more professional than I am. They just go around telling everyone that they're pros. If that makes them feel good, so be it. Have fun. Knock yourself out.

When you can consistently sell your work, and you take consistently excellent pictures, you might be a professional. Until then, you're probably just a weekend warrior hobbyist.

yura
11-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Good thread. I've recently taken a photography workshop which helped me understand the relationships between ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Got to take a lot of shots at a wedding this weekend and have to say I'm disappointed with how most photos turned out. I can do pretty good shots of stationary objects, but I'm not getting good results with anything that's moving around and changing. Need a lot more practice!

johnrando
11-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Great food for thought Marcus.

jreyes19
11-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks Marcus, awesome information :)

Marcus-SanDiego
11-23-2011, 11:33 AM
I help where I can. Glad you enjoyed the read.

danewilson77
11-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Very good read. I'm about half way through it.

M0nk3y
11-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Awesome thread. Solid Advice.

I got my camera in my hands now and I'm walking around the house to take some pics. You inspire me.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Nice work, Kyle. That's what it's all about. Collaboration -- not competition.

Go get 'em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk