PDA

View Full Version : Installing amp and sub

HokieZHP
11-22-2011, 03:32 PM
How hard is it to wire in an amp and sub into the stock stereo? Can I tap into the rear subs? I have a amp and sub from my moms old car that she isn't using and wanted to install it. Is there a how-to for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oli77
11-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Depending on where you take the signal from (as an input into the amplifier), you have to worry about input sensitivity of the amplifier.

As you know, our console stereo is a preamp so could take this signal (line level - before it enters our amplifier in the trunk), or you could tap into the post-amp subwoofer line (speaker level).

Kinda depends on your mom's amp. Google it and see the input it has.

UdubBadger
11-22-2011, 03:54 PM
yeah not TOO hard if you get the right info before hand.

and BTW... awesome that your mom had subs :)

HokieZHP
11-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Here's the amp and inputs. Does that help. I know a little about stereos but not so much as to where I should install everything.

UdubBadger
11-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Google the model info and get the specs

HokieZHP
11-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Found this... http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?item_id=112089

Can anyone help tell me what all that means and what I need to do haha?

yura
11-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Honestly man, having done the whole sub thing in two previous cars, my suggestion is to not do it. You'll spend hours setting it up (make that days if you do any custom fabrication for a clean install), lose trunk space (or other practicality), and the bass will get old after a few weeks. The stock Harmon Kardon audio system with stock subs produces plenty of bass for my liking - in fact, I have bass turned down because it's usually too much.

The only sub setup I'd consider in my ZHP is a 10" square sub in the ski pass-through, as some other people have done. Even then, this would be more for the fun of doing it, rather than the bass.

HokieZHP
11-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Well I'm using a single 10" truck sub so it's very low profile cause I still need to fit my golf bag and such in there. Since it was already in another car, I have all the wiring, boxes, etc so I am hoping it's just plug and play. I'm really critical of my music so I'm not getting a sub for the boom effect, more so I can get a deeper bass than the stock system can provide.

However if it still looks like a very long process, I most likely won't do it.

iZHP
11-22-2011, 05:30 PM
I have 2 12's in my trunk and the only annoying thing is the vibrating rear deck. However it takes the bass out of the door speakers so you get a crisper sound out of them. I love the HK sound system and kept it as stock as possible; just added subs. There's an RCA converter that goes from the sub amp to the Rear speakers.
Amp power connects to + terminal on the battery. I'll look at the converter tomorrow and get more info on it.

Oli77
11-22-2011, 05:31 PM
I think it will work, because the specs of your mom's amp state low level input.

I am pretty sure that is the same as the output of out head unit preamp.

Also see BSW website. They sell a similar amp (same manufacturer) whose specs are labelled similarly to those seen on your mom's amp. See here (http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/507/196/bmw-e46-subwoofer-system-e46-convertible-m3-3-series/)

You would splice into one of the input rear speakers (L or R don't matter) before it enters your current amp (BMW amp), and use that as the input to your mom's amp, hooked to the subwoofer.

You could try is without messing anything up.

Hermes
11-22-2011, 06:17 PM
I have 2 12's in my trunk and the only annoying thing is the vibrating rear deck. However it takes the bass out of the door speakers so you get a crisper sound out of them. I love the HK sound system and kept it as stock as possible; just added subs. There's an RCA converter that goes from the sub amp to the Rear speakers.
Amp power connects to + terminal on the battery. I'll look at the converter tomorrow and get more info on it.

we have solutions for that...

@Hokie - I would build a box something like this for your speaker and just replace the HK setup. This way you can still use your trunk.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/images/fullsize/488_fs.jpg

HokieZHP
11-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know if our cars have a remote feed?

How much would a box like that cost?

Oli77
11-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Double ? right back at you buddy.

HokieZHP
11-22-2011, 06:55 PM
So I found an article on the BSW site that helped me a lot. Does anyone know if I need to disconnect the battery for this and where I can find the instructions for disconnecting and re-connecting the battery safely?

UdubBadger
11-22-2011, 07:05 PM
yeah that BSW set up is nice but damn pricey

Oli77
11-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Remove the negative pole from the battery. Done.

iZHP
11-22-2011, 07:27 PM
how do you fix that? Fill it with padding?

HokieZHP
11-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Oh that's it? I thought there was a "proper" way to do it. Guess not. Thanks for all the help guys! Will post up when it's done

HokieZHP
12-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Ok so i'm in the trunk now and have the amp out and am looking at the wiring harness. This is the source I'm using for all of this but none of the wires it says to use as the inputs are in the harness. http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/knowledgemanager/questions/50/How+do+I+connect+an+aftermarket+subwoofer+amplifie r+to+my+factory+system%3F

Does anyone know which wires to tap into?

It looks like I almost have 2 amps?

Johnmadd
12-22-2011, 07:35 PM
I am just guessing and trying to remember my teenage friends setup was just the output from the stereo spliced before the speaker into the converter to the amp out to the speaker.

HokieZHP
12-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Got it! Just gotta clean up the wires tomorrow. Sounds awesome too!

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq109/maxx919/0cd6baf6.jpg

Oli77
12-23-2011, 03:22 AM
Wiiiiiin!