PDA

View Full Version : Whistle, ICV, Trim, etc: Questions from a new(ish) car owner

2004_blue_zhp
11-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Guys,

I've had my ZHP 8 months now, and it's the first car I've owned. As I approach the 1y mark, I want to take care of a few things that have been bothering me, and wanted to check in before doing anything stupid or wasting money.

1) I've got the whistle described in this thread (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2594-Whistle-at-low-throttle/): I gather the solution will be to throw some new intake boots (both upper and lower) at the problem. Not so bad for $40. I am a complete mechanical novice, have no tools on hand and live in the middle of NYC (so no space to work). How much would it cost to have the existing boots checked and (if I buy the parts) replaced? I assume I should go to an Indy rather than the dealer for this. Can anyone recommend someone who knows our cars well in the area?

2) My idle is a bit "unstable". I.e. at idle, the tach will wander up or down a couple hundred RPM. Usually settles in somewhere after a minute or so...but it's annoying. Reading up, this sound like I just need to clean my ICV. But, as I said above, I'm really not comfortable DIY'ing this stuff. If I go to an Indy, how much do you think they'd charge to take care of this? Again, any recommendations in the NYC area for someone who would know what they're doing?

3) I've got a scrape on one of my trim pieces, and it's slightly bent. Would like to buy a new one and get it painted. It's part number 3 here (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=51_3686&hg=51&fg=20). I've never interacted with a body shop before. My car is Mystic Blue. I assume a good shop would have OEM BMW paint, rather than just trying to match the color, right? How much should it cost to either respray my piece or spray a new primed one. BMW charges $27 for the primed part or $81 for the painted part. Is $54 fair to pain 12 inches of plastic? Also, to install the new part will I need to order any of the accessory clips, etc? As above, any suggestions for a good shop near NYC for this?

Lastly, a general question: when I have someone address the first two things above (whistle/intake boot replacement and ICV cleaning) what else should I ask them to look for? Are there certain things that would make sense for me to ask them to look at "while they're in there"? For example, I keep seeing things about addressing DISA issues when under the hood for other issues. Similarly, anything that I should expect a less-than-awesome mechanic to recommend that is obviously nonsense?

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.

Hermes
11-26-2011, 06:19 PM
First off, mileage?

The intake boots are not the easiest job as the lower intake boot is a PITA to take off. Budget at least 2-3 hours shop labor for that

ICV should be done at the same time as they will be in the area. Add maybe another 1-2 hours labor

Trim, get Dr Colorchip

danewilson77
11-26-2011, 06:27 PM
First off, mileage?

The intake boots are not the easiest job as the lower intake boot is a PITA to take off. Budget at least 2-3 hours shop labor for that

ICV should be done at the same time as they will be in the area. Add maybe another 1-2 hours labor

Trim, get Dr Colorchip

And check disa while on there.

2004_blue_zhp
11-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Mileage hit 55k today on my drive home. The scrape on the trim is pretty bad for Dr. Colorchip, so I'll be getting the new trim piece. Can anyone weigh in on whether I should order any mounting hardware when I order the trim piece? Anyone else care to chime in about reasonable hours for a shop to charge for upper/lower intake boot replacement + DISA checkup + ICV checkup/cleaning.

danewilson77
11-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Mileage hit 55k today on my drive home. The scrape on the trim is pretty bad for Dr. Colorchip, so I'll be getting the new trim piece. Can anyone weigh in on whether I should order any mounting hardware when I order the trim piece? Anyone else care to chime in about reasonable hours for a shop to charge for upper/lower intake boot replacement + DISA checkup + ICV checkup/cleaning.

I would say 3 hours shop labor on the maintenance. Somewhere probably $350ish, parts dependant.

You should be good, as the new trim pierce should have the mounting hardware on it. As long as what's in the door is good.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

echo46
11-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Bro, where exactly are you located, it absolutely kills me to see you spending that kind of money on boot replacement, DISA check and icv clean. These are easy DIYs. If you are within a reasonable distance, I will come there and help you do these.

danewilson77
11-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Bro, where exactly are you located, it absolutely kills me to see you spending that kind of money on boot replacement, DISA check and icv clean. These are easy DIYs. If you are within a reasonable distance, I will come there and help you do these.

+1

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

2004_blue_zhp
11-27-2011, 06:17 PM
What a generous offer. I'm in NYC, but would definitely drive an hour or two for the chance to learn how to do this myself from someone who knows what they're doing. I'm just totally out of my depth on this and scared to open things up alone with no "plan B" if things went badly. Maybe PM me if that sounds like it could work out?

danewilson77
11-27-2011, 06:19 PM
BMW's are nut and bolts just like a Chevy.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

2004_blue_zhp
11-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Hah, with the background I've got (none) I'd be afraid to tackle a Chevy, too. But you have to start somewhere, I guess!

echo46
11-27-2011, 06:30 PM
If you are careful, go slow, follow directions, you can do most of the simpler things--I.e. Oil changes, coolant changes, air filters, cabin filters, VCG, brakes, diff fluid change, tranny fluid change, spark plugs, icv clean, intake boots etc.

static667
11-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Take up echo46 on his offer. We have another mafioso, L0ve_ZHP, in the city with you as well. I'm not sure his automotive experience, but you are not alone where you are. The family has great connections.

danewilson77
11-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Take up echo46 on his offer. We have another mafioso, L0ve_ZHP, in the city with you as well. I'm not sure his automotive experience, but you are not alone where you are. The family has great connections.

Don't think Camillo does a lot of DIY....I could be wrong though.