PDA

View Full Version : Photography Lights?

SoloEuro
11-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Hey guys, first off...I'd like to purchase a couple lights/stands. I'm thinking about getting 2 AlienBee 800s. Would you suggest those and what stands would you guys suggest? Also, I'm new to the whole off-camera lighting, so what else would I need to go with 2 stands/lights?

Thanks in advance guys! :thumbsup

C Withers Media
11-28-2011, 12:23 AM
People have varying opinions about AB's, but I believe for the price, the warranty, the durability, and the portability they are by far the best bang for your buck. Stands really aren't that big of a deal, but keep in mind that the larger the footprint (wingspan), the less likely you are going to have a blow over or a light falling over.

In addition to the bees you will need two stands, a portable power source ( I recommend the vagabond 2 mini ), and some sort of trigger/receiver system. I use the cyber syncs also by Paul C. Buff.. Then you will need diffusers, something to soften or control the light. The type of diffuser will vary based on the types of things you shoot and the look you want to achieve. I typically shoot with a large softbox and one light bare for rim light.

UdubBadger
11-28-2011, 09:24 AM
^ same

SoloEuro
11-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the input and recommendation guys! This info really helped me out! :thumbsup

btw, 1 more question regarding the actually capturing of images. I see people post pics and say "shot in RAW." What is this exactly?

Marcus-SanDiego
11-28-2011, 07:10 PM
A good primer on RAW (along with comparison to jpeg): http://www.digital-photography-school.com/raw-vs-jpeg