PDA

View Full Version : Finally got the 135s back from the painter

adb1028
12-23-2010, 01:14 PM
All I can say is.....wow. They came out even better than I was expecting. I think they're going to look awesome when I get them on in the Spring. Big thanks to az3579 for giving me the idea, Tampa330i for photo shopping, and Dane for encouraging me to go darker.

Here's a little teaser :)

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6026/img1647copy.jpg

You see a few more HERE (http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/adb1028/2003%20330i%20ZHP/)

Too bad I can't put them on until the end of April. I have to drive on a gravel road for 0.6 of a mile to get to the back parking lot at my school. So the winters are staying on till then :facepalm.

Along with the new wheels, I putting on 15mm spacers front and rear, painting the calipers black, and doing a brake overhaul with one of Ray's packages at BrakeYourself.

adb1028
12-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Btw, thats just some dust on the wheels from the shop.

And they are darker in real life, some of the pics make them look a lot lighter then they actually are

Marcus-SanDiego
12-23-2010, 01:18 PM
That looks great. I like that a lot. If this is how Jon's are, then I see why you guys are so pleased

Jon D
12-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Surprise -- I like the color.. looks darker than what I did by a bit. Will look great against the silver.

Took a closer look at the pics yours have more blue than mine I think. Mine seem more grey.

Mtnman
12-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I really really like these. I just might have to do this to the beyerns... get rid of the reflective dish.... Dang. like i needed something else to spend money on that isnt really broken. Great job. Props for taking the risk and just doing it.

adb1028
12-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Surprise -- I like the color.. looks darker than what I did by a bit. Will look great against the silver.

Took a closer look at the pics yours have more blue than mine I think. Mine seem more grey.

I don't see the the blue you speak of, maybe it's just the picture? :dunno

danewilson77
12-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Bro...that offset is insane..........lol

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/adb1028/2003%20330i%20ZHP/IMG_1650.jpg

Those things are gonna make your car look so damn aggressive.....

Jon D
12-23-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't see the the blue you speak of, maybe it's just the picture? :dunno

If you take the closeup of your wheels and mine and look at them side by side it seemed that the paint in yours was more of a blue grey just a slightly different tint. But I think against the silver I like what they did, adds a nice contrast.

And Dane is right look at that offset.

kayger12
12-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Looks great. Really like the contrast against the car color.

adb1028
12-23-2010, 03:58 PM
And Dane is right look at that offset.

Ha! It's super-hella flush.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Ha! It's super-hella flush.

Hella flush. :pimp

pyreguy
12-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Hell yeah man! Those look great!

Tampa330i
12-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Lookin good! Can't wait to see em on the car.

az3579
12-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Those look a little more blue than mine, but around the same shade. Camera differences will skew how it really looks in reality.

Nomar06
12-24-2010, 07:15 PM
They look great....I call that Mexi-Poke Flushness, lol

adb1028
12-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Those look a little more blue than mine, but around the same shade. Camera differences will skew how it really looks in reality.

I agree, the colors change from picture to picture depending on the lighting, I can see the "blue" you and Jon see the more I look at the pictures.

adb1028
12-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Those things are gonna make your car look so damn aggressive.....

I think the cops are going to feel the same way :eeps

Are they as dark as you wanted 'em? They are pretty damn close to the picture I brought in

kayger12
12-24-2010, 09:15 PM

Damn cops...

danewilson77
12-24-2010, 10:10 PM

Are they as dark as you wanted 'em? They are pretty damn close to the picture I brought in

Yeah...that's pretty much the exact shade I was lookin for. Great job reading my mind.

adb1028
12-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Damn cops...

I guess the sarcasm means you are a cop? lol

If you are, then what's your view, from a police officer perspective, on a 17 year kid driving a modded bmw? I feel like its only a matter of time before I getted slammed with multiple tickets. Not because of my driving habits, but because of the car, and the fact that I'm 17.

Sorry for going off topic lol

adb1028
12-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Great job reading my mind.

Not the first time I've heard that :rofl

zhpnsnv
12-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Where'd you have them painted? Did you also have imperfections repaired? My 135s need some TLC this winter.

adb1028
12-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Where'd you have them painted? Did you also have imperfections repaired? My 135s need some TLC this winter.

I had them done at Lee's Garage on Broadway in West Long Branch. They fixed all of the curbing and can't even notice it was there. They did an excelent job with the paint, but instead of taking out the little M badges on the wheels, the painter taped around them. So if you look closely, you can see a tiny bit of silver around the edges. Other than that, they're perfect.

My family has used them before and they have always done a great job. They are certified by Mercedes, BMW, and a few other manufacturers for paint work. The shop is always filled with busted up audis, bmw's, porsches ect.

As a reference, it cost me a total of $400 for the set ($100 a wheel). We started at $150 per, but he came down quite a bit. Paul (the owner) is a great guy and really knows his stuff.

SC4ME
12-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Looks nice. Cant wait to see them on the car.

kayger12
12-27-2010, 06:18 AM
I guess the sarcasm means you are a cop? lol

If you are, then what's your view, from a police officer perspective, on a 17 year kid driving a modded bmw? I feel like its only a matter of time before I getted slammed with multiple tickets. Not because of my driving habits, but because of the car, and the fact that I'm 17.

Sorry for going off topic lol

:threadjack
Yep-- I always start off these answers with the same caveat: There are appleholes in every profession.

Mind you I've been off the road for about 6 years now and haven't written a ticket in that long, but I never stopped a car based on any of the myths out there-- you know, because the car was red, or the car was an expensive sports car driven by a young kid. And working the Rt 72 corridor with summer traffic headed to LBI, you see plenty of young kids driving nice cars...

99.9% of cops stop cars because there's a violation-- that simple. Do the occasional 1 in a million appleholes target certain cars-- maybe, but with video being in most cars these days and statistical analysis of stop data, it's damn hard to survive and keep your job if you're going to work that way.

Now-- Once you get stopped (especially if it's for speeding or driving like a knucklehead) are you more likely to get a ticket because you are 17? Yep, I think so. Reason is that most cops know that the leading cause of death for your age group is motor vehicle accidents. Most 17 year old kids drive too fast, follow too closely, and take unnecessary risks when driving-- we know this because a lot of the accidents we go to involve 17 year olds-- but more importantly, we also know this because we were once 17 year olds who drove too fast, followed too closely, and took unnecessary risks-- I know I did.

I think the general feeling among cops is that if you stop a 17 year old for speeding and let him/her off with a warning, you reinforce the idea that it's ok to speed because you'll probably just get off with a warning. If, however, you issue a speeding ticket, the hope is that he/she is much more likely to suffer some consequences and hopefully slow down.

Getting, "slammed with multiple tickets" won't happen (or really shouldn't anyway) unless you are at fault in an accident, drive drunk, drive recklessly, or talk yourself into them by being disrespectful (even though that last one shouldn't matter constitutionally speaking).

Uncle Keith's recipe for avoiding tickets: Honesty, responsibility, respect.

Say you get stopped for driving 80 on the Parkway:

Wrong approach:

Officer: Do you know why I stopped you?

You: Uh, no.

Officer: You were going 80 mph in a 65 mph zone.

You: (Insert any of the following lame statements that the cop hears 20 times a day)

- I didn't think I was going that fast
- I swear officer, I had the cruise control set at 70
- my speedometer said I was going 70
- I was just going with the traffic
- I'm sure I wasn't going that fast

Right Approach:

Officer: Do you know why I stopped you?

You: Yes, sir. I'm an idiot and I was driving too fast. Completely my fault. I apologize.

(First time a guy said that exact thing to me, I actually chuckled-- it was funny how the guy just came out and called himself an idiot, but he admitted he did it, took responsibility, and apologized-- and he drove away without a ticket)
-------------------------------

Remember, cops are used to having their intelligence insulted and being lied to all day long. If you just come out and are honest and respectful, you'll probably be the first person that day to do so and are more likely to catch a break... at least in my experience.

Sorry for the threadjack, we now return you to your previously scheduled Style 135 program.

danewilson77
12-27-2010, 08:01 AM
^Liked

Marcus-SanDiego
12-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Same here.

Except, from a criminal procedure standpoint, I would recommend that the person not make a party-opponent admission. That "Yes, sir. I'm an idiot and I was driving too fast. Completely my fault. I apologize" comment is admissible against you in a court of law.

I would be completely professional to the police officer but I would not go as far as admitting and acknowledging that you were speeding. Let the people prove that.

My two cents.

Jon D
12-27-2010, 08:32 AM
^ liked all the above.

kayger12
12-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Valid point, Mark.

danewilson77
12-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Valid.....however........You wont get out of too many tickets this way. If you are fine with the ticket.....just smile....dont admit guilt and walk away. Thats what I did last time. I was guilty and just paid the fine.

Kayger was saying, is that if you go over the top, and beat yourself up, the cop might let you out of the ticket. Its a gamble that might be worth it in some cases. In other cases admitting your guilt might not be the best recourse.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Absolutely, Dane. You have to pick your spots -- and your strategy.

Different strokes for different folks.

Anyhow, if anyone would like to continue this discussion, feel free to start a new thread.

zhp43867
12-27-2010, 11:33 AM
adb1208- Even if it were true that they pulled over modified BMWs; your car is not really "modified" even with the wheels. IE nothing would really be that noticeable about your car as opposed to a truly "modified" car (scraping the ground, 5% tint, totally smoked lights, etc.).

Now-- Once you get stopped (especially if it's for speeding or driving like a knucklehead) are you more likely to get a ticket because you are 17? Yep, I think so. Reason is that most cops know that the leading cause of death for your age group is motor vehicle accidents. Most 17 year old kids drive too fast, follow too closely, and take unnecessary risks when driving-- we know this because a lot of the accidents we go to involve 17 year olds-- but more importantly, we also know this because we were once 17 year olds who drove too fast, followed too closely, and took unnecessary risks-- I know I did.

I don't like this. I know you don't give tickets anymore, but think of this scenario another way. If you give a high school kid an 80 in a 65 or 75 in a 65 ticket, their insurance rates will go so high they will probably not be able to drive for a few years. The increase in cost is simply not affordable to the kid or his parents.

Are you teaching a lesson? I guess, but you wouldn't be teaching the lesson that you set out to.

I think the kid would take away something more like- and I'm going to be brutally honest; I'm going to take this hit, and when I can afford to drive again I'm going to get a radar detector and laser jammers, I don't like cops.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Guys, I have no problem with this discussion. However, we're deviating from the thread's subject matter. Feel free to take this to a new thread -- Off Topic forum.

pyreguy
12-27-2010, 01:51 PM
I wanna see another picture of the darker wheels.

az3579
12-27-2010, 04:00 PM
I wanna see another picture of the darker wheels.

On the car.

pyreguy
12-27-2010, 05:17 PM
:word

az3579
12-27-2010, 05:31 PM
:word

What version?

Marcus-SanDiego
12-27-2010, 05:37 PM
3.1. hehe.

pyreguy
12-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Nice :)

Yeah the eyebrows on the word icon makes it look a bit less agreeable than what I would intend when using the word icon. Dig?

az3579
12-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Nice :)

Yeah the eyebrows on the word icon makes it look a bit less agreeable than what I would intend when using the word icon. Dig?

Don't agree.
But, I fear we're getting off topic again.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Lots of OT in this thread. It happens. No worries, guys.