PDA

View Full Version : Reputable Wheel Refinishing in DelMarVa?

sum1orotha
11-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Does anyone in the DelMarVa locale have experience using a wheel refinishing place? My wheels have a mixture of curb rash, peeling, and bubbling going on and I would like to get a quote to get them redone. I'm located in Baltimore so I'll even make a trip up to Southern PA/NJ since it's about as far of a drive as some parts of VA.

Thanks!

M3TA5IN
11-29-2011, 09:06 AM
in for answer... I would also like to know.

brettbimmer
11-29-2011, 06:21 PM
I had a good experience about a year ago with Wheel Worx in Millersville, MD. www.whlworx.com. Dad borrowed the ZHP and caught a curb at the outlet mall with one of the front rims. Scuffed up the style 135 wheel pretty badly. Bruce was very accommodating in taking care of the repair in a few days' time. Best to leave the wheel(s) with them if you can, rather then leaving the whole car with them. Shop was behind his home, due to the economic downturn. Unfortunately I don't have any photos, but they did a very good job. I intend to take some of my others in to him soon, as I have a square wheel (bent & causing a vibration at speed), and repair the damage from the last shop that put on my tires really chewed up the rims *&#$#*&#! after I specifically asked if these rims would be a problem for them. Not going back to that tire shop, but def. will be back to Wheel Worx!

brettbimmer
11-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Sorry, failed to include the link to the pricing above: http://www.whlworx.com/Wheel_Worx_FAQs.htm#Pricing

sum1orotha
12-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the reply brett, I'll definitely be contacting them to see what they can do for me.

brettbimmer
12-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the reply brett, I'll definitely be contacting them to see what they can do for me.

Sounds like a plan. If you are not in a huge hurry for the repairs, I am hoping to take my style 135's to them this week, if I can break away from work. I can post some before and after photos accordingly if you like.

sum1orotha
02-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Sounds like a plan. If you are not in a huge hurry for the repairs, I am hoping to take my style 135's to them this week, if I can break away from work. I can post some before and after photos accordingly if you like.

Wow, I really let this thread die...

Brett did you take your 135's to them for refinishing? Can you post pictures?

I'm debating whether I want to refinish my 135s now, or hold off and grab up some new rims for spring/summer coming up...

Washburn
02-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Wonder what places normally charge for refinishing a wheel that ONLY has mild curb rash/peeling etc, and NO structural damage like bent, etc.

danewilson77
02-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Prolly $100-$150?

Washburn
02-16-2012, 11:42 AM
That's for one wheel, huh? damn!
I am debating if I should get the wheels refinished or just sell as-is...

Any idea what a set of good condition (say, mild curb rash on 2 wheels) ZHP wheels can go for? Trying to decide on an asking price when the time comes...

Sorry for the slight thread-jack

sum1orotha
02-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Wonder what places normally charge for refinishing a wheel that ONLY has mild curb rash/peeling etc, and NO structural damage like bent, etc.

Pricing

Wheel Worx pricing is simple. We will repair any mainstream OEM wheel STARTING at $125.00. High-end wheels cost more. Chrome wheels are additional. Repairs to chrome wheels will be done in house but rechroming will be outsourced. If you send your wheel by UPS or another freight service, we will pay return freight. Mounting and Balancing STARTS at $20.00 per wheel for OEM wheels. Larger diameter and aftermarket wheels cost more. We use inboard weights when possible and do a two plane balance. This gives a great ride while hiding the ugly weights. We repair only one and two-piece wheels. We have stopped doing motorcycle wheels and 3 piece wheels. Sorry!

Per the website that Brett linked, they say refinishing starts at $125/wheel, so I'm guessing that's for a bare minimum of stripping and re-coating a normal sized (16") alloy wheel.

I've got a good amount of curb rash, bubbling, and chipping going on so I'm expecting $150/wheel at least if I took mine to this place.

danewilson77
02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
That's for one wheel, huh? damn!
I am debating if I should get the wheels refinished or just sell as-is...

Any idea what a set of good condition (say, mild curb rash on 2 wheels) ZHP wheels can go for? Trying to decide on an asking price when the time comes...

Sorry for the slight thread-jack

Maybe $700-$800 for the set.

The two perfect ones for maybe $300.00 each.....and maybe $100 or so for the rashed ones. It's tough to sell less than perfect wheels sometimes. It depends.

brettbimmer
02-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Pics should be up tomorrow after I take them! I spent $600 for four, but that was a couple of slightly bent wheels straightened, and repaired the dings installed by the last tire installer. :gun1 They actually blended the silver where necessary rather then respray the entire wheel, but it looks very good. They recommend a respray of the entire wheel if they are repairing a larger area as no two paint colors are ever the same. That said, if they are doing a full repaint on one wheel, they recommend painting all four so that they match. Again, trying to match the "aged" paint on the wheels with fresh paint is an art form, and very tough to do.

brettbimmer
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Repaired wheels (Please pardon the small amount of brake dust/hard water white streaks seen on a few wheels):

LR Dings repaired and blended. Area repaired has a bit more metal flake in the paint if you are really studying the wheel (picked up with the flash here):

RR Dings repaired and blended. Area repaired has a bit more metal flake in the paint if you are really studying the wheel (picked up with the flash here):

RF:

LF:

brettbimmer
02-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Thought I had posted the before shots already...anyway, here they are (cell phone camera w/ bad quality), but you can see the dings/gashes installed C/O the tire shop that I went to last time. Worst of all, I specifically asked them if these wheels were going to be a problem for them before leaving the car with them. Just be really careful who you let change tires for you!

sum1orotha
03-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Brett, wheels look great! I will definitely be taking my wheels to this place when I have the extra money to spare on getting them refurbished.

Just out of curiosity, did you just take all four wheels to this place with the tires installed, and they took care of un-mounting them and re-mounting and balancing them?

brettbimmer
03-08-2012, 05:21 AM
Yes, all four went to them with the tires installed. They removed them, did the repairs, re-mounted and balanced them. Extra charge, but worth it to not have the wheels screwed up by some clowns at another tire shop.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk