PDA

View Full Version : Another option for bi-xenons: Magneti Marelli OEM replacements

sna77
11-30-2011, 04:49 AM
So I've been considering getting my ZKWs fixed or replaced or rebuilding them etc. Them suffer from the same burnt projector bowls that everyone else has in their ZKWs.

My friend who owns a BMW repair shop looked up the part # for the bi-xenon sedan replacement using the aftermarket parts company they use as a supplier and found these:

Magneti Marelli
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/magnetimarelli.jpg

The pair would be about $1k total and would have a 2 year warranty on them. The $1k includes bulbs, ballasts etc--everything. They are factory screw in, fully plug and play, etc.

After a bit of research, I have determined that Magneti Marelli is BMW OEM supplier "AL." These replacement headlights are indeed OEM AL bi-xenons!. The replacements are full headlight assemblies--ballasts, bulbs, housings etc. They are a direct fit and direct plug and play for your old headlights.

Jump down a few posts to see pictures of the headlights in the boxes, installed and the cutoff line.

cakM3
11-30-2011, 04:57 AM
Steve,

So this is the whole headlight assembly? It would be easier to swap out if you were willing to spend $1k rather than taking the headlight assembly completely apart to swap out projector assemblies :) Nice find Steve :thumbsup

sna77
11-30-2011, 05:00 AM
Complete headlight assembly, ballast, ignitors, bulbs included. Would take about 5 minutes to drop these in... Plus a 2 year warranty on them...

danewilson77
11-30-2011, 05:54 AM
Are they any better than the ZKW''s? Of will you be dropping $1k/2years to have SAT light output.

Would it make more sense to drop $2k on AL's that will last 10+ years?

Tis another option though. Thanks.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

sna77
11-30-2011, 06:02 AM
If they are equal to the ZKWs, I would say thats worth it. I had him order them and am going to check them out at lunch.

sna77
11-30-2011, 06:04 AM
My friend same they come up as part #

in his catalog... Which looks to be the AL part # of the bi-xenon... Wonder if this might be the OEM supplier? Anyhow, I'll report back later today:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=63_0729&hg=63&fg=05&hl=27

danewilson77
11-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Good looking out sna.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

sna77
11-30-2011, 06:06 AM
Actually, Googling around, it appears that Magneti Marelli is BMW supplier AL.

Woot-woot. Brand new AL bi-xenons for $1k with warranty. Sold.
http://www.al-lighting.com/index.php?lang=de

Will report back later today.

danewilson77
11-30-2011, 06:08 AM
Is that a hook up, through "your guy"?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

ZHPRegistry.net
11-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Slightly off topic, but apparently the E90 ZKW bi-xenon reflectors are essentially direct bolt on replacement to ours, unlike ours they are made out of metal. I have a set on its way to me, I plan to document the retrofit and post in the DIY section here as well as at the Registry.

cheers.

sna77
11-30-2011, 06:13 AM
Proof:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/AL.JPG

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/AL2.JPG

llll1l1ll
11-30-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm gonna keep my eye on this thread. My light output is okay, I mean it's not like I can't see when it's dark out, but it would be awesome if it were brighter. I'd be tempted to see this DIY retrofit that the Registry just posted. Otherwise, I'd consider the MMs. The DIY we currently have is waaaaay too involved for me.

danewilson77
11-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Slightly off topic, but apparently the E90 ZKW bi-xenon reflectors are essentially direct bolt on replacement to ours, unlike ours they are made out of metal. I have a set on its way to me, I plan to document the retrofit and post in the DIY section here as well as at the Registry.

cheers.

Excellent. What was the cost here?

Hermes
11-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Honestly I would think these are better quality than the ZKWs, Magneti Marelli is a Fiat division who provides parts for a ton of F1 teams

ZHPRegistry.net
11-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Picked up a set of projectors for 120 shipped on ebay. I am trying to not get too excited in case they don't fit :)

LivesNearCostco
11-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Subscribed.

edlvrt
11-30-2011, 10:49 AM

cheers.

I have heard of this solution as well, but I am unable to find any E90 ZKW reflectors. If you have a source, please share it. Thanks

Hornung418
11-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Just a note...when you all do this swap to the ALs, keep your ZKW lenses. They are far superior to the ALs.

zj96sc
11-30-2011, 11:08 AM

cheers.

this has been done and documented pretty well on e46f. I did it as well and documented my progress here at zhpmafia. I reorganized my photobucket though and the links are all broken. when I get some time I'll update them.

'direct bolt on replacement' it is not. fair amount of cutting, drilling, and rigging. the bulb retainer is the biggest gap in this solution. beam pattern is 95% or so correct.

sna77
11-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Just got back from the shop. These are indeed AL OEM headlights. I plugged one in quickly next to my ZKW bulb and the light output is significantly brighter. Huge difference. I'm just going to buy these and sell my ZKWs... Figure the net cost will be $500-$600 for brand new OEM headlights with a warranty. Done & done.

BTW, Philips HID bulb is in there....

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mm/1.JPG

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mm/2.JPG

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mm/3.JPG

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mm/4.JPG

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mm/5.JPG

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mm/6.JPG

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mm/7.JPG

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mm/8.JPG

nike001
11-30-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't understand why you're doing this when you can just fit in one of the several other lights you have

Go Horns!
11-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Where are you getting them for $1,000 for the pair? I searched online and the cheapest I'm finding is $1500 for a pair.

ZHPRegistry.net
11-30-2011, 11:53 AM
FYI, the beam pattern has been changed to a straighter line instead of that pronounced zig zag effect. Is this what you had in mind?

sna77
11-30-2011, 11:54 AM
I don't understand why you're doing this when you can just fit in one of the several other lights you have

I'd prefer something brand new, with warranty. I plan on selling the rest in the parts bin.

Where are you getting them for $1,000 for the pair? I searched online and the cheapest I'm finding is $1500 for a pair.

I went to my local body shop--that I have a good relationship with--and had them look them up. That was their cost on it. They sold them to me at their cost. They said they'd generally mark them up about 30% for customers so $1500 makes sense...

Hermes
11-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Just got back from the shop. These are indeed AL OEM headlights. I plugged one in quickly next to my ZKW bulb and the light output is significantly brighter. Huge difference.

I put an Osram bulb in one of mine and it was also brighter than the Philips bulb I has on the other side but supposedly that is just because it is brand new, it supposedly settles down a little after a while

ZHPRegistry.net
11-30-2011, 11:59 AM
I put an Osram bulb in one of mine and it was also brighter than the Philips bulb I has on the other side but supposedly that is just because it is brand new, it supposedly settles down a little after a while

XENON build degrade over time. After about 1000 hours of operation you get 70% of the original output.

zj96sc
11-30-2011, 12:02 PM
no, i'm referring to pronounced pattern differences below the cutoff. 'zigzag' assuming you mean the upper edge of the pattern with noticeable upticks is controlled by the cutoff plate/bixenon shutter which will stay oem e46 even with the E90 bowls.

This is turning into a bit of a hijack but the mods can move as they feel fit.

Driver's side, with the E90 bowl:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j234/paulkeith/cars/TIAG_ZHP/HeadlightsTrimKidneysCleanup/IMG_0435Large.jpg

Passenger side, oem ZKW E46 bowl:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j234/paulkeith/cars/TIAG_ZHP/HeadlightsTrimKidneysCleanup/IMG_0434Large.jpg

The E90 bowls are designed for D1S bulbs and not D2S bulbs so bulb retention gets a little fiddly. The beams shook noticeably over sharp bumps (lip to head up my driveway is where I always saw it) even with what I thought was a pretty well designed bulb holder.

I also do not think the depth of the arc within the reflector bowl is proper when you stick the D2S bulb into the D1S reflector, which may be driving the difference in beam pattern.

Again, like I said, it is probably a decent solution for the money, but definitely not seamless or plug and play.

sna77
11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
When I bought the ZHP I put in brand new Philips bulbs and new headlight lens covers. Cost about $200 for evertything. Helped a bit, not much.

nike001
11-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Fair enough. With selling your ZKW stuff, and all your other projectors and what not..you might be able to break even

ZHPRegistry.net
11-30-2011, 12:24 PM
I also do not think the depth of the arc within the reflector bowl is proper when you stick the D2S bulb into the D1S reflector, which may be driving the difference in beam pattern.

from what I know, the geometry of the D1S and D2S bulbs is the same. The only different is the integrated ignitor.

Also, that different in beam pattern you are showing, is the direct effect of the burns bowl (I am assuming the ZKW in that photo is burnt no?). As you go lower the reflective surface turn brown (burnt) and the light reflection disappears. The upper part of the reflector controls the light closer to the ground and the middle part of the reflector controls the light shooting straight ahead. From your photos the E90 looks pretty darn good. The issue regarding shaking is noted so I'll see if I can come up with anything interesting.

zj96sc
11-30-2011, 01:28 PM
geometry of the bulb itself yes, geometry of the bulb base and as a result the way (and depth with which) they sit in the bulb holder no. once you get the parts in your hand you'll see what i'm talking about.

The passenger oem e46 bowl pictured was in "normal" un-burned condition. this is the factory beam pattern.

danewilson77
11-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Damn...those Phillips bulbs are $200.00 a pop aren't they? How much are you hoping to get for the ZKW's?

danewilson77
11-30-2011, 01:46 PM
When the smoke settles, update your initial post with all pertinent info.

Thanks

danewilson77
11-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Moved to lighting.

SoarinZHP
11-30-2011, 02:40 PM
This is a bangin' thread. Lots of good stuff. Thanks sna!

sna77
11-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Damn...those Phillips bulbs are $200.00 a pop aren't they? How much are you hoping to get for the ZKW's?

used ZKW full assemblies generally go for about $500... I was hoping to get around that for them

sna77
11-30-2011, 05:20 PM
OK, just grabbed the car. The AL's are installed and there is a noticeable difference in light output. Plus, I'm happy that I have brand new lights in the car instead of 7 year old electronics.

I did my best to aim them, but am not a pro. Any aiming advice would be helpful...

low beams:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mm/mm2.jpg

high beams:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mm/mm1.jpg

Driver's side, new AL light installed / passenger side, old ZKW. Can't really tell from this pic the difference, but it was noticeable in person:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mm/mm3.jpg

danewilson77
11-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Looks great. Really well done and thanks for sharing the info.

There is a procedure to properly aim headlights. Hang tight.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

iZHP
01-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Looks great. Really well done and thanks for sharing the info.

There is a procedure to properly aim headlights. Hang tight.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Ever come across this? I need to re-aim.

Hornung418
01-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Its Trevor's (roverT) DIY on E46fanatics...don't have link on me.

Courtesy of Gingerbread...

sna77
06-23-2012, 05:19 PM
someone PM'd me about these so i thought I'd paste the response for everyone's use... here was my reply:

I saw your thread from a few months back where you purchase and installed a set of AL bixenon units to completely replace the OEM ZKW lights... Is this something we can purchase ourselves online? I saw you got them from a body shop, but was wondering where else to locate them. Also, completely plug n play? and are the bowls metal? Will they last?? I thought all ZHP sedans had ZKW bixenons... Where were these AL units installed? Why haven't more people gone this way?? I'm a little confused on the history of this whole ordeal...

I'm interested in this assuming it will be a forever fix... I'm on the way to going with the E90 bowl retrofit now as it seems easiest, but this would be even better, and new lenses to boot...

Thanks in advance man...

I have no idea where you can buy them other than the shop that I bought mine from--but I believe any decent shop could get them. I'd start by driving to a body shop and having them pull a price for you. Most shops will mark them up--mine did not as I give them plenty of business. In the Boston area, a company called WorldPac delivers aftermarket parts to all independent repair and body shops. Sometimes the parts they have are OEM, sometimes they aren't. In this case, they were AL branded lights. BTW, give the body shop the part #'s of the headlight units. They'll be able to look them up that way. The WorldPac computer will say something like "OE replacement"

This will be a forever fix. The AL headlights were sold on all facelifted e46 sedans, except for the ZHP. it was probably just a parts supply issue, but the lights are fully interchangeable in all facelighted e46's--except the internal components are not (ZKW parts fit ZKW headlights only--same for AL).

As I mentioned above--you take the full headlight assembly out of the box, and simply aut these in. everything is included and they are totally plug and play.

cakM3
06-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Steve,

The ZKW lens can be swapped out with the AL lens. I have the AL projector assemblies from an ///M retrofitted into my ZKW headlight assemblies. When doing so, I also swapped out the Bosh AL lens for the ZKW lens (video in my diy) for a better light output. Of course, by doing so, you tend to void any warranty that comes with the new headlight assemblies but if I went this route, this is what I would do...

danewilson77
06-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for reiterating the info.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

JupiterBMW
06-24-2012, 03:27 AM
Heh, I was that PM... (surprise surprise)... I have been doing a lot of reading about light swaps/retrofits so that I can cure my horrible light output. Anyway, thanks for your response. I inquired about this almost as a back up, incase something goes horribly wrong while trying to retrofit the E90 projectors into my light housings... Lets hope that doesn't happen hough. :shifty

sna77
06-24-2012, 04:30 AM
Heh, I was that PM... (surprise surprise)... I have been doing a lot of reading about light swaps/retrofits so that I can cure my horrible light output. Anyway, thanks for your response. I inquired about this almost as a back up, incase something goes horribly wrong while trying to retrofit the E90 projectors into my light housings... Lets hope that doesn't happen hough. :shifty

The AL part #s are :

The ZKW part #s are:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5619-Another-option-for-bi-xenons-Magneti-Marelli-OEM-replacements/page2&highlight=sna77

Give the body shop the AL part #s and see what they can pull up.

Charlie is talking about swapping lenses from one set of headlights to another (the belief is that the ZKW lenses are better than the AL ones--personally, I cant tell the difference)--that's great, and it works and is another solution, its just not what I wanted to do. I simply wanted to buy a brand new, complete assembly (with warranty) and drop it into my car in 10 minutes and be done with it...

danewilson77
06-24-2012, 05:56 AM
The AL part #s are :

The ZKW part #s are:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5619-Another-option-for-bi-xenons-Magneti-Marelli-OEM-replacements/page2&highlight=sna77

Give the body shop the AL part #s and see what they can pull up.

Charlie is talking about swapping lenses from one set of headlights to another (the belief is that the ZKW lenses are better than the AL ones--personally, I cant tell the difference)--that's great, and it works and is another solution, its just not what I wanted to do. I simply wanted to buy a brand new, complete assembly (with warranty) and drop it into my car in 10 minutes and be done with it...

And what was your cost again?

sna77
06-24-2012, 08:26 AM
And what was your cost again?

$1k for the pair

nike001
06-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Steve,

The ZKW lens can be swapped out with the AL lens. I have the AL projector assemblies from an ///M retrofitted into my ZKW headlight assemblies. When doing so, I also swapped out the Bosh AL lens for the ZKW lens (video in my diy) for a better light output. Of course, by doing so, you tend to void any warranty that comes with the new headlight assemblies but if I went this route, this is what I would do...

Meh, you don't get better light output from the ZKWs VS the AL's. Most people just like to swap them for a sharper cutoff.. and that usually goes hand in hand with modifying the cutoff shield.

danewilson77
06-24-2012, 10:52 AM
$1k for the pair

That's not too bad....

JupiterBMW
06-24-2012, 05:13 PM
That's not too bad....

Honestly, given the ease of the swap and the warranty involved, I completely agree. Much thanks to sna77 for the info and the legwork in this. I have the E90 drivers side light in my possession, so I'm going to work on swapping the bowl from that first. If I jack up my OEM ZKW in the process, I'll be going this route.

Thanks again... :thumbsup

nike001
06-24-2012, 05:49 PM
That's not too bad....

lol whut?

I'd never pay that much for lights. My AL's were $400 and I swapped those in and called it a day. Perfectly fine OEM set-up. The other option is just getting a pair of FX-R's (or mostly any other projector.. because most now are better than AL's & ZKW's) and ship em out and get them retrofitted for ~$250-300 (or DIY.) So said and done for retrofitting would be ~$500 with projectors that would blow away our OEM-ers. That's actually what I'm hoping to get around to because I already have a set of FX-R's sitting in my closet waiting.

danewilson77
06-25-2012, 01:53 AM
^Didn't Terra have to help quite a bit. Wasn't there a pita factor?

sna77
06-25-2012, 03:48 AM
lol whut?

I'd never pay that much for lights. My AL's were $400 and I swapped those in and called it a day. Perfectly fine OEM set-up. The other option is just getting a pair of FX-R's (or mostly any other projector.. because most now are better than AL's & ZKW's) and ship em out and get them retrofitted for ~$250-300 (or DIY.) So said and done for retrofitting would be ~$500 with projectors that would blow away our OEM-ers. That's actually what I'm hoping to get around to because I already have a set of FX-R's sitting in my closet waiting.

Well if you can sell your old ZKWs wqith burnt bowls for $400 (as I did--with full disclosure on condition), arent these headlights a no-brainer for $600? I have better things to do with my Saturday than perform surgery on a set of headlights. LOL

danewilson77
06-25-2012, 04:43 AM
Well if you can sell your old ZKWs wqith burnt bowls for $400 (as I did--with full disclosure on condition), arent these headlights a no-brainer for $600? I have better things to do with my Saturday than perform surgery on a set of headlights. LOL

+1

I just don't have the time.

JupiterBMW
06-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Yeah, I agree with sna and DW 100%... Hmm, before I start my own surgery, I might have to source some prices myself.

nike001
06-25-2012, 06:32 AM
^Didn't Terra have to help quite a bit. Wasn't there a pita factor?

Yeah, but our original plan was to transplant the AL projectors into the ZKW housings. We ended up figuring out that you can just swap the whole light along with a piece that mounts between the light and the frame. I have never seen/heard of anyone else doing that, and I think Terra hasn't really either.. so we were somewhat clearing that path since there guides for us to follow.

The main thing that we ended up doing was taking apart the lights anyways to swap the ZKW lenses over.. that was the big thing. If we didn't do that then the swap wouldn't have been bad at all. >>take ZKW lights out w/ mount >> add AL mount >> mount AL lights.

How and where did you do this?

sna77
06-25-2012, 06:57 AM
How and where did you do this?

Charlie ended up buying them... I assume to chop them up. LOL
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=889191

Although I had multiple offers for them, saved them for Charlie of course.

cakM3
06-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Charlie ended up buying them... I assume to chop them up. LOL
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=889191

Although I had multiple offers for them, saved them for Charlie of course.

Saving these so I can do the headlight washer delete and swap out the internals from my original ZKW housings into these. Not chopping them up....

sna77
06-25-2012, 08:44 AM
headlight washer delete? That sounds brilliant! I effing hate those things. Tell me more. :)

cakM3
06-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Steve,

I have headlight washers on my ///M as well and find them more of a nuisance than they are helpful. When driving at speeds, they only seem to help the washer fluid to go onto the hood rather than clean up the headlights. When I get some time I plan to swap out my headlight assemblies and permanently delete the headlight washer and do some recoding (if necessary). At least one of my bimmers won't have this "feature" when I get done...:)

sna77
06-25-2012, 10:00 AM
I was just telling someone the other day that I was almost looking for a car w/o cold weather package, just to avoid these dumb things.

cakM3
06-25-2012, 10:27 AM
One advantage of the cold weather package are the heated seats....since I'm getting older, I'm finding that the heated seats help make any drive easier. :)

sna77
06-25-2012, 10:49 AM
One advantage of the cold weather package are the heated seats....since I'm getting older, I'm finding that the heated seats help make any drive easier. :)

That's the only thing I care about from CW package... If I were building the car from scratch, I'd line item order the heated seats only.

cakM3
06-25-2012, 10:56 AM
That's the only thing I care about from CW package... If I were building the car from scratch, I'd line item order the heated seats only.

Totally agree here Steve :thumbsup

titaniumair
06-26-2012, 06:45 AM
There are a few places online where you can get the AL lights. They are marketed here in the states by Magneti Marrelli of which AL is one of their subsidiaries. The cheapest place I found was partsgeek.com Here: http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/1016-01075783.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_content=YN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&utm_term=2001-2005+BMW+330i+Headlight+Assembly+Magneti+Marelli+W 0133-1819791+Right+01-05+BMW+Headlight+Assembly+2002+2004&fp=pp&gbm=a

danewilson77
06-26-2012, 09:04 AM
That price is pretty nice.....comparitively speaking.

terraphantm
06-29-2012, 09:47 PM
I'll have to keep this in mind. Right now my headlights are okay. But if I end up going through another ballast and igniter, I think it might be worth just replacing the whole thing (keeping my bulbs of course since the CBIs are much better than the OEM bulbs)

Rovert
06-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Here yah go:

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4266/hidalignmentdiy.jpg

JupiterBMW
06-30-2012, 02:27 AM
Trevor, thanks for posting... I knew I had to find your DIY at some point, but you just saved me from searching... :biggrin

NorCalZman
06-30-2012, 06:59 AM
So it's normal for our headlights to "step" up like that. My headlights do that and I was freaking out about it. Even took a picture the other night to post and ask about it

das boots
07-03-2012, 05:31 AM
Trevor, thanks for posting... I knew I had to find your DIY at some point, but you just saved me from searching... :biggrin

+1.

Edit: Trevor.....Could you or anybody explain the two turning knobs on each lighting assembly on which ones adjusts the height or direction?

JupiterBMW
07-03-2012, 02:45 PM
The inner knob adjusts the up and down alignment ('height' of beam as seen on a wall) and the outer one adjusts the left and right adjustment. Clockwise turning on the vertical adjustment adjusts the lights down and clockwise on the horizontal adjustment turns the lights to the right.

das boots
07-03-2012, 07:32 PM
I'll try to remember this.......

Inner (Vert) Knob -
Turn right (CW) - Down
Turn left (CCW) - Up

Outer (Horiz) Knob -
Turn right (CW) - Right
Turn left (CCW) - Left

JimN9NE
12-09-2012, 11:46 AM
sna77 where did you get these?

sna77
12-09-2012, 05:21 PM
sna77 where did you get these?

any shop that has access to parts through Woldpac can order them. My local indy shop in Boston ordered them from WorldPac for me. They showed up next day.

http://www.worldpac.com/contactus.html

titaniumair
12-10-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm always on the lookout for these lights and the current cheapest price I could find is $608.19 shipped from CarPartsWharehouse.com using coupon code A7H4T5 for 5% off. Here's the link: http://www.carpartswarehouse.com/parts/16-00095_ON.html# It says they are Bosch headlights but they are indeed the AL (Magneti Marelli) units. You can see the "AL" engraved on the lense.

JimN9NE
12-10-2012, 04:55 PM
nice find, but says it only fits 2001-2002 models.

titaniumair
12-10-2012, 07:37 PM
nice find, but says it only fits 2001-2002 models.

Not sure why it says that but it is for facelift ('02-'05) sedans. You can easily tell by the shape of the lense.

JimN9NE
12-10-2012, 09:16 PM
ya for sure, i agree. But the website looks pretty suspect, have you ever ordered from them?

titaniumair
12-10-2012, 10:16 PM
ya for sure, i agree. But the website looks pretty suspect, have you ever ordered from them?

Nope, never have. They seem to have really good ratings/reviews though: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Car_Parts_Warehouse

Avetiso
12-10-2012, 10:22 PM
I just bought AL lights, and mine look exactly the same, stickers and all. Expect my lights were originally titanium, but my bezel is painted black. The trim in between flash to pass and the projector is still titanium. I picked up my headlights for $500 used. Toss on a new pair of lenses, and I still think that is a great alternative as well.

quikryptonite
12-11-2012, 10:17 AM
My MM bi-xenon headlight showed up yesterday. FYI, the bi-xenon headlight assembly comes with a mounting bracket installed. At least mine did. So, now I need to return the bracket I bought back to ECS.

JimN9NE
12-11-2012, 02:01 PM
quikryptonite where did you get yours?

quikryptonite
12-12-2012, 12:02 PM
@ FCPEuro They had a 10% off anything black Friday sale. I'm hoping to install this weekend.

MM Bi-Xenon (http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-headlight-assembly-xenon-right-325i-325xi-330i-330xi-63127165780)

quikryptonite
12-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Just finished putting my AL bi-xenons in. Wow, so much brighter. I really need to do the driver's side as well now. Thanks so much to you guys for your knowledge, suggestions and helping me get this project taken care of. Definitely saved me some serious moolah.

So, I finally got around to doing this last Saturday. It only took me about 40 minutes start to finish. It helped that I had taken my headlight assembly out before. Seriously, if you have burnt out bowls and want to replace them yourself, it is about a 2 out of 10 on the DIY scale.

So, my new assembly from FCPEuro came with a mounting bracket installed. Here you can see the difference between the two. AL is on the left. ZKW on the right.
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x428/dcrider48/ZKW%20replacement/ALBracket_zps14d8e825.jpg

Here is my car with everything out. You can see that the mounting brackets attach to the two white squares in the picture.
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x428/dcrider48/ZKW%20replacement/Al5_zpsc378734f.jpg

Here is the original driver side ZKW:
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x428/dcrider48/ZKW%20replacement/AL1_zps635ba92b.jpg

Here is the new passenger side AL (63127165780)
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x428/dcrider48/ZKW%20replacement/AL2_zpsc43f0551.jpg

I was also able to mount the new assembly using all four screws. I solved the problem of the super deep screw by taking some loctite puddy that you use to hang photos on your wall. I put just a very small amount around the head of the nut. I squished it into the socket and then simply pulled the socket off after tightening the nut into place. It worked out great.

Now, I just need to do the other side.

quikryptonite
04-03-2014, 09:43 AM
So, I just noticed a few weeks ago that the AL headlight assemblies I installed have a faint, baby Angel Eye around the outer edge of the xenon light. Has anyone else with AL's noticed this?

Did the ZKW's do this?

I like it, it's really subtle, but unique as well.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x428/dcrider48/BMW%20330i%20ZHP/20140402_230459_zps460c02f3.jpg

Hornung418
04-03-2014, 09:49 AM
I will look at mine and confirm. Thats interesting. Maybe the projector is tightened down pushing the shroud forward emitting the light from the gap. There are two bushings on the top and bottom with a locator hole on the inside bottom screw. Could be the case.

Sent from my GS3.

328ioc
04-03-2014, 10:15 AM
I will look at mine and confirm. Thats interesting. Maybe the projector is tightened down pushing the shroud forward emitting the light from the gap. There are two bushings on the top and bottom with a locator hole on the inside bottom screw. Could be the case.

Sent from my GS3.

I would bet this as well.

I have never noticed this before.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

terraphantm
04-03-2014, 09:42 PM
All of my AL headlights (have had several sets) exhibited the same effect

Avetiso
04-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Mine do that, too.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

PirateZHP
04-04-2014, 07:51 AM
As do mine

strz0001
07-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Another data point... Decided to order a replacement set of AL lights after spending far too much time and money on the ZKW set that came with the car (bowls not very burnt, but reflective coating was deteriorated).

After scouring for the lowest cost option, I ended up ordering from RockAuto who was listing a HELLA part#010052011 and 010052021 for 629.79 each and 9.05 for shipping. They just arrived... 2 Magneti Marelli boxes. The assemblies include the mounting brackets and I swapped my washer component out and mounted up one side to test the fit. Works great and will tackle the other side later today.

DARXIDE
07-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Another data point... Decided to order a replacement set of AL lights after spending far too much time and money on the ZKW set that came with the car (bowls not very burnt, but reflective coating was deteriorated).

After scouring for the lowest cost option, I ended up ordering from RockAuto who was listing a HELLA part#010052011 and 010052021 for 629.79 each and 9.05 for shipping. They just arrived... 2 Magneti Marelli boxes. The assemblies include the mounting brackets and I swapped my washer component out and mounted up one side to test the fit. Works great and will tackle the other side later today.

How'd these work out for you?

DARXIDE
07-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Here's what may be a common sense question, but I've got zero experience with headlights after 1990...lol. I am assuming there only a few reasons for replacing headlights as a unit (cost prohibitve). What I've read so far had to do with burnt reflector bowls, bad leveling systems, etc.

My situation: Filed insurance claim for sand damage and they included replacing headlamps in the estimate. Still in process, BUT today as I was observing the reflection of my lights on the bumper of the car ahead, I noticed one was dimmer and even at times blinked out. Later, I turned on the lights while pointed at a wall and the dims both came on, the same one less bright and then it again went out. Switched to brights and got nothing on that same side.

SO...for the interim until I can get money from my insurance to replace these, does this sound like bulbs, or something else? Any troubleshooting wisdom? I know there is an igniter and ballasts are involved. I'm assuming, once I locate them, that they are interchangeable?

strz0001
07-18-2014, 06:17 AM
How'd these work out for you?

They are great. Only regret is waiting too long and messing about with half fixes.

OrientBlauZHP
07-22-2020, 07:17 AM
Anybody have any pics of the MM light assembly prior to install? If not, I’ll take some before I install mine. Should be here tomorrow. Since there’s the question of weather or not it’s plastic like the ZKWs. I have a picture of my ZKW assembly I can also add for comparison.

I think this thread is pretty relevant - especially with the aging of our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpark
07-22-2020, 09:41 PM
I just bought a right side MM assembly on ebay because it was only $429, and now on the hunt for the left side.

Does anyone know if you can mix/match ZKW and AL headlights? Would love to install the MM headlight in one side and do a before/after comparison to the original ZKWs

az3579
07-23-2020, 04:02 AM
Physically plug and play possibly with the exception of the bracket that attaches to the bottom of the assembly. It may require a small section to be cut out. Very easy with a Dremel tool.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OrientBlauZHP
07-23-2020, 05:00 AM
I just bought a right side MM assembly on ebay because it was only $429, and now on the hunt for the left side.

Does anyone know if you can mix/match ZKW and AL headlights? Would love to install the MM headlight in one side and do a before/after comparison to the original ZKWs

Yes you can.

Physically plug and play possibly with the exception of the bracket that attaches to the bottom of the assembly. It may require a small section to be cut out. Very easy with a Dremel tool.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I think he meant using a ZKW assembly on one side and a AL on the other. I could be wrong....wouldn't be the first time.

edlvrt
07-24-2020, 10:19 AM

dpark, did you buy them from seller "partscontainer"? If so, when you get the light, could you let me know if it came with the necessary bulbs, ballast, etc? I had sent the seller a message, and the response was that it is only the headlight assembly. I'm hoping he misunderstood my question. Thanks

OrientBlauZHP
07-24-2020, 05:09 PM
dpark, did you buy them from seller "partscontainer"? If so, when you get the light, could you let me know if it came with the necessary bulbs, ballast, etc? I had sent the seller a message, and the response was that it is only the headlight assembly. I'm hoping he misunderstood my question. Thanks

My guess it will be the whole assembly minus bulbs. Bulbs are pretty cheap. I’m putting in some Osrams for less than $100. The Philips bulbs are a little more. I bought mine from Amazon.

EDIT

Just got my assembly in and it had bulbs. There's a google drive link in the other thread

dpark
07-27-2020, 02:35 PM

Yes I did, and yes I will.

dpark
07-27-2020, 02:36 PM
Yes you can.

I think he meant using a ZKW assembly on one side and a AL on the other. I could be wrong....wouldn't be the first time.

Yes I did :)

dpark
08-06-2020, 07:41 PM
So the headlight arrived today. It was the second shipment. The first box was so damaged in transit I didn’t even accept the package.

Pics below. It is the AL headlight and it does come with a bulb. The back of the headlight is different looking. But I am sure all the connectors are the same. Will be installing this weekend.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200807/a136d158c383938dcfafd5d34fdfedfb.jpg

dpark
08-06-2020, 07:41 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200807/b5ea31dced07c036d6e5f76ec1fa2240.jpg

dpark
08-06-2020, 07:42 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200807/a23616c09f6bd1f55675c78ecded2459.jpg

dpark
08-06-2020, 07:46 PM
Sorry for the multiple posts. Tapatalk would not allow me to post with more than one pic at a time (don’t remember that limitation in the past)

Will try to take as many before / after photos as I can. I also have an Osram bulb to install as well, so will see how much brighter it is than a brand new stock D2S bulb.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200807/3ef1ccd500e47e4d4ec78fd00a033143.jpg

OrientBlauZHP
08-21-2020, 07:31 PM
Sorry for the multiple posts. Tapatalk would not allow me to post with more than one pic at a time (don’t remember that limitation in the past)

Will try to take as many before / after photos as I can. I also have an Osram bulb to install as well, so will see how much brighter it is than a brand new stock D2S bulb.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200807/3ef1ccd500e47e4d4ec78fd00a033143.jpg

Using the same bulbs. I had to have my lights aimed after I installed my new headlight assembly. Well worth the $30 it cost me.

dpark
08-22-2020, 11:04 PM
Install is done. Not quite plug and play.

Thread here: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?23233-Replacing-ZKW-bi-xenon-with-Magneti-Marelli-(aka-AL)-headlight-assembly

I did not have to have headlights adjusted at all. Once I got them to fit, the self levelers worked like a charm

Nightbreakers are awesome.

OrientBlauZHP
08-27-2020, 08:52 AM

Thread here: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?23233-Replacing-ZKW-bi-xenon-with-Magneti-Marelli-(aka-AL)-headlight-assembly

I did not have to have headlights adjusted at all. Once I got them to fit, the self levelers worked like a charm

The levelers don’t aim the headlights. So, if they’re aimed to high, having the self levelers isn’t going to help. I have the same headlights you do. And, mine were aimed to high. That’s why even self leveling headlights have adjustment screws.

OrientBlauZHP
08-27-2020, 08:56 AM

And, from looking at your install I’d say the passenger side isn’t even installed correctly. The turn signal should slide right in, no gap. I’m not sure what you cut out. But, the MM lights come with the bracket pre installed. I didn’t know this either. I learned the hard way myself. My drivers side wasn’t right so I had to pull everything back out and reinstall using the new bracket that I removed before install. Was much easier and everything lined up perfectly.

dpark
08-28-2020, 11:55 AM
And, from looking at your install I’d say the passenger side isn’t even installed correctly. The turn signal should slide right in, no gap. I’m not sure what you cut out. But, the MM lights come with the bracket pre installed. I didn’t know this either. I learned the hard way myself. My drivers side wasn’t right so I had to pull everything back out and reinstall using the new bracket that I removed before install. Was much easier and everything lined up perfectly.

Well, dunno what to say. Everything fits, didn't push or shove anything in and yet there is a gap. I found other threads where other folks also dremeled out material and there was no mention of a gap when they were done.