PDA

View Full Version : 3 days...what can i do?

Mtnman
12-23-2010, 05:11 PM
So, i have chosen to stay in asheville for xms, which means i have three days of just me and the dogs. Is ther something i can do with my time to my car that would only involve locally available parts? I thought Bout a brake fluid change, but reading more about it it appears as though i need a pressure sys that i dont have. Anybody have any good ideas of maintenance things i can do while i have this time on my hands, and with parts that would be available at local auto stores? (i dont need an oil change...)
David

danewilson77
12-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Do the steering fluid swap with M1 Synthetic ATF. Available at Advance Auto Parts.

Pull all 4 tires and inspect brakes. Take rotor wear measurements and compare to spec stamped on rotor hat.

Boredom can sometimes get you into trouble too, though.

mimalmo
12-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Diff fluid change, interior detail.

Mtnman
12-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Haha. Thnaks dane. I was banking on something from you. Brakes are ok. Rears have new rotors and pads about 500miles ago. Ill look up the diy on the steering fluid. Anything else?

Mtnman
12-23-2010, 05:19 PM
I got the diff fluid changed when i did tranny fluid change (i have auto tranny) about 4000 miles ago... Is that an easy diy though. Interior will get some love though....good idea eli!

mimalmo
12-23-2010, 05:23 PM
It's tedious to do but I love a freshly detailed interior.

danewilson77
12-23-2010, 05:55 PM
I got the diff fluid changed when i did tranny fluid change (i have auto tranny) about 4000 miles ago... Is that an easy diy though. Interior will get some love though....good idea eli!

If you had it done 4k miles ago...dont bother. Diff diy is easy. Tranny diy on an auto is somewhat a PITA....cause you have to drop the pan....

Mtnman
12-23-2010, 06:07 PM
If you had it done 4k miles ago...dont bother. Diff diy is easy. Tranny diy on an auto is somewhat a PITA....cause you have to drop the pan....

Yeah, and your supposed to heat the new fluid to a certain temp prior to install, which my indy shop did....but yeah. That is one for the professionals..

danewilson77
12-23-2010, 07:31 PM
I have never heard of the heating requirement and did not dhu this on my 325i ZSP. What purpose would that even serve?

Mtnman
12-23-2010, 07:58 PM
no idea. i just know my indy shop is anal, and hard core oem (which is good and bad) but they only work on bmw porsche and mercedes. he told me all that was involved with the tranny fluid change, and that was one of the components.
wish i had sweet indy shops like marcus does out in cali, that know all and also like aftermarket stuff too.....

mimalmo
12-23-2010, 08:57 PM
None of the BMW shops by you do any racing? That's kinda surprising.

MrMaico
01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
None of the BMW shops by you do any racing? That's kinda surprising.

Hi Eli, do you have any info on what kind of work that Imola Motorsports does? Good, bad, expensive? The Cities is where I'll end up if or when I ever run into something that I can't or won't want to handle myself. I was looking at their website and it looks like a pretty nice place. Just curious I guess.

I've been to JBEurotech once and definitely don't have any complaints with the work or price there but their customer lounge isn't anything to get excited about and I hate not being able to take a stroll back into the shop once in a while to see how things are going on my car. I realize it's that way most places now days but it's just that up to this point everywhere I've taken my vehicles around here it's not a problem.

I take my Blazer to the local Mopar dealer for oil changes because a friend works there and I always go in the shop and bullshit with him while he does it and it's nice to be able to snoop around on the vehicle while it's up on a hoist. I even supply my own oil and filter and it only costs $9 for oil change and chassis lube, can't beat that price! But even if it cost twice that I'd still have him do it.

Barry

Kudos
01-05-2011, 01:17 PM
You can clean your icv, TB, DISA, MAF, and check out your intake hoses. If u want a challenge, VCG and vanos rebuild :).

jjcools
01-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Does anyone have a link to the diff DIY. I had one but now I can't find it...

kayger12
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/diff_fluid.htm

You might not need the seal rings. Mine had o-ring built in. Torque was a little less I think as well. I'll check the Bentley and get back.

jjcools
01-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks kayger

kayger12
01-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Sure thing.

According to the Bentley, torque for both fill and drain plugs is 48 ft-lb with the sealing washer, and 44 ft-lb with the o-ring.

Again, mine had a green o-ring, no washer.

MrMaico
01-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Here's a link to another one from a site that no longer exists (some pics may not work anymore).....

http://web.archive.org/web/20071223064855/www.bmw325i.net/maint_rear_diff_fluid.shtml

Complete site......

http://web.archive.org/web/20071223064335/www.bmw325i.net/index.shtml

You might notice some discrepancies from one diy to the next but it still helps just to have as much info as possible sometimes. This one mentions 52 ft-lbs but I think 48 is plenty.

I never knew a web archive like this existed (until I found out about this:)) for sometimes finding things that aren't on the web anymore.....

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Barry

p.s. JJ and Kayger, check your messages.

mimalmo
01-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi Eli, do you have any info on what kind of work that Imola Motorsports does? Good, bad, expensive? The Cities is where I'll end up if or when I ever run into something that I can't or won't want to handle myself. I was looking at their website and it looks like a pretty nice place. Just curious I guess.

I've been to JBEurotech once and definitely don't have any complaints with the work or price there but their customer lounge isn't anything to get excited about and I hate not being able to take a stroll back into the shop once in a while to see how things are going on my car. I realize it's that way most places now days but it's just that up to this point everywhere I've taken my vehicles around here it's not a problem.

I take my Blazer to the local Mopar dealer for oil changes because a friend works there and I always go in the shop and bullshit with him while he does it and it's nice to be able to snoop around on the vehicle while it's up on a hoist. I even supply my own oil and filter and it only costs $9 for oil change and chassis lube, can't beat that price! But even if it cost twice that I'd still have him do it.

Barry

Sorry Barry, just noticed your comments today.

Some of my friends have had work done at Imola. Everything from Audi's, BMW's, Porsche and Maserati. Kevin (the owner) is a great guy and an enthusiast himself (his M5 is sick). I have nothing but good stuff to say about them.

The other option is Orr in Eden Prairie. The Orr brothers have done a lot of BMW racing/built BMW race cars over the years. They rolled my fenders for me when I first put on the VMR wheels and they also did the corner balance on the car when I put on the coilovers. http://www.orrautosport.com/

JB Eurotech is more like an old school shop but they definitely know their stuff better than anyone else. If you want to check on your car, just ask Seth or Ben and they will take you back there.

MrMaico
01-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks Eli, I'll probably just stick with JBE.