PDA

View Full Version : Using Steering Wheel Buttons to control Radio Modes

brettbimmer
12-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Has anyone had any success in setting up their steering wheel buttons (maybe one not in use, but set up for the phone controls) to be able to change the radio mode from: Radio, CD, Satellite, etc.? It seems crazy that I can change stations and volume from the wheel, but to jump between the different modes, I have to use the mode button on the headunit itself?

(Searched for this question & didn't see any threads running - apologies if I missed a discussion on this topic).

Hermes
12-08-2011, 10:10 AM
I have never seen an answer to that, but I would be interested if there is a way to do it

johnrando
12-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Ooooh, GOOD question. Never thought of that. Please let me know what you find out.

M3TA5IN
12-08-2011, 10:50 AM
My car came that way, I can probably find out what the coding is if the coding would switch from a e90 to e46. I wouldn't imagine it would be terrible hard to do.

I know it's not hard to do on a e90 because I was looking at M3 wheels and some of there buttons are different so I asked about it for that.

zj96sc
12-08-2011, 11:08 AM
I had to laugh when i first read this. My first reaction was "wow, what a first world problem...."....but then with more consideration I realized I'd like that feature.

The E90 info might not be that relevant. I'd have to find some sources but I'm pretty sure the e90 uses a totally different bus architecture than the e46 and all of those functions are transmitted by bus to the radio...makes me think there will be no good info between the two. but maybe at least worth looking into.

M3TA5IN
12-08-2011, 11:23 AM
I had to laugh when i first read this. My first reaction was "wow, what a first world problem...."....but then with more consideration I realized I'd like that feature.

The E90 info might not be that relevant. I'd have to find some sources but I'm pretty sure the e90 uses a totally different bus architecture than the e46 and all of those functions are transmitted by bus to the radio...makes me think there will be no good info between the two. but maybe at least worth looking into.

Seems like it would be as simple as changing a script command to me, but maybe not. I know that's how it was explained to me for e90 which is pretty basic stuff once you have the proper software/cable.

Never looked at how e46 script looked. Can't be to crazy though.

brettbimmer
12-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Haha, yes it is hardly a life-or-death question, but it would be nice to change everything from the wheel and not have to reach across to the mode button!

M3TA5IN
12-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Haha, yes it is hardly a life-or-death question, but it would be nice to change everything from the wheel and not have to reach across to the mode button!

I think it's a legit want, I mean if we weren't concerned about the finer things in life, we would all just drive geo metros right?

kayger12
12-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I think it's a legit want, I mean if we weren't concerned about the finer things in life, we would all just drive geo metros right?

Definitely legit.

It's a button with no current purpose, and Brett wants to give it purpose WHILE doing away with an inconvenience.

Doesn't get any more legit than that.

Hermes
12-08-2011, 01:37 PM
IMO the one I would change is the R/T button, I use the other one for answering calls

Oli77
12-08-2011, 02:02 PM
While on the subject, I thought the R/T button was for "picking up the phone" (i.e., get the tone like at home)?

Hermes
12-08-2011, 02:04 PM
No, that's the button below that looks like a phone. R/T means Radio/Telephone; your display on the radio switches to your phonebook, you can use the up/down preset control to find the number you want to call, then press the phone button to call that number

Oli77
12-08-2011, 02:12 PM
OK thanks, I don't use the BT too much, it is pretty wonky.

johnrando
12-08-2011, 02:21 PM
My B/T isn't BMW, so I use volume, etc. but not those phone keys. So yes, the R/T sounds like a good key to me.