PDA

View Full Version : High beams

Sideshow
12-10-2011, 10:10 AM
OK, I just noticed my high beam bulbs weren't working so I checked the fuse (it's good), then I replaced the bulbs with H7s. They are still not working. Can anyone help a brother out and suggest another trouble shooting step?

Hermes
12-10-2011, 10:14 AM
do you have bi-xenons? if you push the stalk forward that is your xenon high beam. pulling it is only for flash-to-pass halogen. as for why the H7's arent working I'll leave that for somebody else to answer

static667
12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Have you checked all of the wiring? Mess with all or the wires going into the harnesses and make sure the grounds are good. If you have an electrical meter, check the voltages.

This post brought to you by the miracle of modern technology and Tapatalk.

Sideshow
12-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Hermes, you are THE MAN!! I didn't know those only worked when you pulled the high beams. I re-read my book and it doesn't say that anywhere. I did notice that my Xenons worked hi and lo, but thought that the ohters would come on for hi as well. I feel like a jack-ass, thanks.

ryankokesh
12-10-2011, 12:07 PM
It's a feature you (the dealer) can enable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sideshow
12-10-2011, 01:55 PM
The dealer can enable them to be on whenever I have Hi beams on?

Hermes
12-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Hermes, you are THE MAN!! I didn't know those only worked when you pulled the high beams. I re-read my book and it doesn't say that anywhere. I did notice that my Xenons worked hi and lo, but thought that the ohters would come on for hi as well. I feel like a jack-ass, thanks.

No worries

cakM3
12-10-2011, 06:24 PM
The dealer can enable them to be on whenever I have Hi beams on?

I tried to get my dealer to enable the halogens to come on with my bi-xenon high's and they wouldn't do it. It can be done through programming and I got a friend to code this into my ZHP and ///M using his laptop.

M0nk3y
12-10-2011, 10:24 PM
I tried to get my dealer to enable the halogens to come on with my bi-xenon high's and they wouldn't do it. It can be done through programming and I got a friend to code this into my ZHP and ///M using his laptop.

I kinda wish I had halogen high-beams from time to time for flash to pass

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

ryankokesh
12-10-2011, 10:26 PM
I kinda wish I had halogen high-beams from time to time for flash to pass

Flash the xenons?

Edit: slowly flash^

M0nk3y
12-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Flash the xenons?

Edit: slowly flash^

Yea...I do that now...but I know I'm killing my bulbs. My flash to pass throws on the HIDs.

Who ever designed the Z4M headlights sucked...they made a spot for halogen highs and then did nothing with it

ryankokesh
12-10-2011, 10:55 PM
They must not have been that bright... :D

I crack myself up....

Hermes
12-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Kyle, did you try moving the stalk the other direction? Maybe the halogens will come on... :dunno

Sideshow
12-11-2011, 05:10 AM
I need to find out how to get the halogens to come on when I go to hi beams. I won't lie, when I flash to pass most people don't get it so I like to light them up like the Griswald family Christmas house. I was very disappointed this past friday as I was on my commute south on I-95 another Bimmer guy didn't get it and had no concept of cruise control; galactic jack-assery! Bimmer guys should get it and he was driving a very nice 535.

M0nk3y
12-11-2011, 06:53 AM
Kyle, did you try moving the stalk the other direction? Maybe the halogens will come on... :dunno

JP,

there is actually no highbeam bulbs in the headlights. If you look for them, all you will see is black plastic covering the projector whole....no light was ever intended to go through it

ryankokesh
12-11-2011, 07:10 AM
http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo.com/izp/bmw_z4m_roadster_2008_exterior_headlight_640x480.j pg

M0nk3y
12-11-2011, 07:35 AM
[IMG]http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo.com/izp/bmw_z4m_roadster_2008_exterior_headlight_640x480.j pg[/IMG

:rofl

I know...the inner projector is nothing...all for show.

There IS a bulb there, but it lights up the angel eye.

ryankokesh
12-11-2011, 07:49 AM
That's soooooooo weird, lol.

cakM3
12-13-2011, 05:13 AM
:rofl

I know...the inner projector is nothing...all for show.

There IS a bulb there, but it lights up the angel eye.

never knew that...I always thought that the inner projector would light up just like our 3-series.....perhaps you can make a DIY out of this and retrofit additional lighting...:)

M0nk3y
12-13-2011, 08:51 AM
never knew that...I always thought that the inner projector would light up just like our 3-series.....perhaps you can make a DIY out of this and retrofit additional lighting...:)

I wanted to throw a fx-r projector and do a retrofit...but I gotta open up sealed headlights and I don't want to touch it

Sent using satellite technology

Hermes
12-13-2011, 08:57 AM
10 min @ 200F. Just go get a set from a junked car

M0nk3y
12-13-2011, 09:15 AM
10 min @ 200F. Just go get a set from a junked car

Ours don't bake apart...you have to break them, literally to get them apart

Sent using satellite technology

Hermes
12-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Booo, why are they making so hard for us

M0nk3y
12-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Booo, why are they making so hard for us

:rofl excellent question.

rdhamill
12-25-2011, 03:31 PM
has anyone changed the "flash to pass" lights to come on with the high beam, and stay on? I'm thinking that a couple of relays should do the job.

az3579
12-25-2011, 06:44 PM
has anyone changed the "flash to pass" lights to come on with the high beam, and stay on? I'm thinking that a couple of relays should do the job.

This can be enabled through coding with NCS Expert.

Sent from my iPhone 4S with Tapatalk

cakM3
12-25-2011, 07:20 PM
I call it, instant daylight mode :) Looks awesome when driving on the back roads at night...:biggrin

Meric
12-28-2011, 07:52 PM
I call it, instant daylight mode :) Looks awesome when driving on the back roads at night...:biggrin

+1 agree. It lights up better. I don't like Xenon high beams.

Sideshow
01-06-2012, 06:42 AM
I spoke with the guy at the BMW dealership (Great guy, he has always done right be me) and he said he never heard of being able to have the halogen flash to pass lights come on with hi-beams. If someone knows how to code that, what tools/computer I need and what I need to do; I would love to hear it.

az3579
01-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I spoke with the guy at the BMW dealership (Great guy, he has always done right be me) and he said he never heard of being able to have the halogen flash to pass lights come on with hi-beams. If someone knows how to code that, what tools/computer I need and what I need to do; I would love to hear it.

He's never heard about it because it's beyond a dealer's capability. It's a factory-level functionality.

There is a thread here with a title similar to "how to build a BMW diagnostic computer". I can't link you to it at the moment but if you paste that into the search at the top of this site, you'll find it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

spoonerDee
01-09-2012, 04:23 AM
My DIY with the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 can allow you to do this as well.
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5110-BMW-Scanner-1.4.0-Diagnostic-plus-coding-features-to-your-car.

He's never heard about it because it's beyond a dealer's capability. It's a factory-level functionality.

There is a thread here with a title similar to "how to build a BMW diagnostic computer". I can't link you to it at the moment but if you paste that into the search at the top of this site, you'll find it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

iZHP
02-04-2012, 11:32 AM
It's a huge help to have halogens + xenon highs + fogs on too.

zj96sc
02-04-2012, 02:15 PM
I was in BMW Scanner earlier this week and did not see an option on the LCM page to enable halogen inners with bixenon high. I did get the dimmed halogen DRLs working though.

To do this you need the proper INPA capable OBDII->USB ($100) or Serial ($30) cable, a couple fancy usb to serial drivers, the EDIABAS/INPA/NCS Expert software suite, a profile for NCS Expert that allows parameter/field manipulation, a 12v power supply to keep your car voltage adequately high, and an assload of time and research on your part. This is nitty gritty hex parameter code manipulation of each module in the car and you can and will brick the entire car if you don't know what you're doing, or if your voltage dips while writing to modules.

In the end of the day it becomes as simple as editing some text in notepad, but you need to do your due diligence before you get there. Like I said, this is downright dangerous stuff with little to no safety net if you misclick a few times. I am VERY new to this process so I'm going to preemptively say to totally ignore the rest of my post and treat is as misinformation.

Once you have your FSW_PSW.TRC pulled down from the ALSZ, locate the following parameters:

FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ
aktiv

PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON
wert_02

and change them to

FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ
nicht_aktiv

PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON
wert_01

First un-abbreviates to "fernlicht und nebelscheinwerfer nicht gleichzietig," which translates to "high beams and fog lights not at the same time," therefore setting to "not active" keeps your fogs on with high beams.

Second un-abbreviates to pulse width modulation word 2 fernlicht bixenon (nothing earth shattering there...), again fernlicht is high beam, so for whatever reason here wert_01 (word 1) keeps halogens on with bixenon, wert_02 does not.

If you prefer your bixenon shutters to activate with flash to pass, you want:

bixenon_ein_bei_lichthupe
aktiv

Save that .TRC as your FSW_PSW.MAN and code it to your ALSZ. Should do the trick.

I haven't gotten my cable to work yet, been fighting two cables for two weeks. Have a third on the way. These are the changes that I want to make, along with enabling city lights and a few other odds and ends.

rdhamill
04-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Sounds like a relay with a n/c and a n/c contact will be easier. the n/c contact will let the factory DRL work. The n/o contact could be used to supply 12v to the inner lamps. The coil would be triggered by the high beams.

zj96sc
04-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Or....you could keep your wiring 100% OEM, and do it with NCS Expert. Takes....5 minutes. Sounds pretty intense when you first read it but after you do it a couple times it makes way more sense and gets pretty straightforward.

GT172I
04-23-2012, 04:20 AM
Or....you could keep your wiring 100% OEM, and do it with NCS Expert. Takes....5 minutes. Sounds pretty intense when you first read it but after you do it a couple times it makes way more sense and gets pretty straightforward.

+1

I love having it (xenon highs, FTP, and fogs) especially out in the burbs at night. Fiancée calls it God mode, "Let there be light!!"

zj96sc
04-23-2012, 05:06 AM
Just as a fair warning....a fiance is a dude, and a fiancee is a chick.

Just sayin. :D

Meric
04-24-2012, 09:08 PM
My DIY with the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 can allow you to do this as well.
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5110-BMW-Scanner-1.4.0-Diagnostic-plus-coding-features-to-your-car.

It does? Where how? I have it too. Can you make a DIY with it? Please?

GT172I
04-25-2012, 09:52 AM
It does? Where how? I have it too. Can you make a DIY with it? Please?

I've got it too and had to do it with NCS Expert per zj96sc's instructions. BMW Scanner 1.4 will do the DRL part but not FTP with High's or Fogs with Highs or Xenon high with FTP