PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to call it...E4TSICK

Speedracer
12-11-2011, 08:44 AM
So after much debate with a buddy, I've decided to move forward with this project. Going to strip down the ZHP next year, and swap in a 6.0L LSX with, most likely twin PT62 Turbos, or maybe a single 78. T56 Magnum transmission, and Star Chassis will doing the cage inside and custom 3 link rear suspension with a solid 9" ford rear. I figured if I'm going to do it, might as well go all out. The 3 link will keep the cars good handling but the rear will have to be changed to handle the expected 1000+rwhp. I plan on running octane on demand, which means 16 injectors and 2 fuel tanks. One for 92 octane and one for 112. This way I can drive around town and to meets and still get 20+mpg, but if I put my foot in it, race fuel is delivered and I don't have to worry about detonation. Vorshlag is putting the finishing touches on the engine mounts and trans crossmember for the swap and I should have those in January. Engine and trans should be here in February. So it's parts collection for a few months, and then off to Star Chassis for some serious modification. I'm going to be using a BigStuff3 controller, and I know the can-bus is going to be a bitch, but, I'm not using the factory guages so I will just have to sort out the A/C and heater controls. I can't decide between a widebody kit, or just having the rear fenders widened to fit 11" wheels and 305 tires. I'll post pics as the parts come in and the car is torn down. If you have any advice or suggestions (other than "leave it stock!") I'll listen!

Johnmadd
12-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Sounds crazy, can't wait for pics of the build.

Hermes
12-11-2011, 03:41 PM
http://www.bucketmovies.com/images/burtwardadamwestbatmanthemovie0014.jpg

HOLY CRAP BATMAN! cant wait to see it

ryankokesh
12-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yura
12-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Pics, pics, pics and then vid!

static667
12-11-2011, 06:58 PM
This thing is gonna be dirty.

nike001
12-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Agh, I hate when people start these threads with just what they're 'going' to do rather than what they've already started.

Good luck OP

Speedracer
12-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Met with my buddy for lunch today. Spent almost 2hrs putting together a parts list and vendors to contact about different things. Emailed two big chassis shops today. I think we've decided to have that done first. No point in getting parts to put this into the BMW, if no one is willing to put in the proper rear and suspension. But I think between the two I emailed, I'll have good luck with them ;) plus, this way I can still drive the car around while I'm collecting the rest of the parts and reduce it's downtime! I'm anticipating spending a serious chunk of change on it, but...I absolutely love this car. The way it looks and handles and makes me feel. I'm just ready to return the favor with some serious power!

zj96sc
12-11-2011, 07:39 PM
my advice/suggestions:

-I'd do what I could do keep the car IRS. It will be more challenging to find a 1000whp capable IRS setup, but budget clearly isn't a major factor in what you're doing. Go solid axle and no matter what you Will destroy the car's ability to do anything but go in a straight line and along with it the whole benefit BMWs bring to the table in the first place (IFS/IRS, 50/50 wt dist, etc). If your intent is a straight line monster then that's your prerogative - but there are cheaper starting points if that's your goal.

-Also, are you actually using an LSX? A lot of folks refer to the LS_ engines using "x" as a variable. If you're actually going LSX, I'd recommend going for an aluminum block LS to keep weight down.

-I think you're fooling yourself if you think a 1000whp car on 305s will be DDable even if you're on 90something octane.

Ambitious is an understatement. I'll believe it when I see it, but this is one case where I'd absolutely love to be proved wrong.

Tuned for progress!

Speedracer
12-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Noted! Thank you!

In reply. I have a couple options for blocks. I have a guy who is holding on to a LQ4 short block for me with very expensive internals for a very good price. Only downfall of LQ4 blocks is they are only 4 bolt heads, and I'd prefer 6 bolt, but I'm going to have it machined for the larger ARP studs. Should hold 1200hp easy. As far as IRS, I've looked into the corvette and cts-v options, but the cost is outrageous. And even though I will be throwing a years salary at this thing, I'm trying to make it as durable as possible, and there aren't a lot of 1200hp IRS rears available.

Also, I don't plan on it using it as a DD. I have a toyota for that. But, with octane on demand, you have the ability to drive the car around on pump gas, 9:1 compression, and roughly 450hp. That's nothing a 305 dr can't handle. That's the beauty of octane on demand and two fuel systems. And fear not, this isn't the first 1000hp car I've built. Just the first one in a BMW.

my advice/suggestions:

-I'd do what I could do keep the car IRS. It will be more challenging to find a 1000whp capable IRS setup, but budget clearly isn't a major factor in what you're doing. Go solid axle and no matter what you Will destroy the car's ability to do anything but go in a straight line and along with it the whole benefit BMWs bring to the table in the first place (IFS/IRS, 50/50 wt dist, etc). If your intent is a straight line monster then that's your prerogative - but there are cheaper starting points if that's your goal.

-Also, are you actually using an LSX? A lot of folks refer to the LS_ engines using "x" as a variable. If you're actually going LSX, I'd recommend going for an aluminum block LS to keep weight down.

-I think you're fooling yourself if you think a 1000whp car on 305s will be DDable even if you're on 90something octane.

Ambitious is an understatement. I'll believe it when I see it, but this is one case where I'd absolutely love to be proved wrong.

Tuned for progress!

zj96sc
12-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Quick googling looks like a 1000+hp rated CTSV IRS tips in at about $5500. Considering a nicely built 9" with all the suspension work, springs, whatever else necessary will probably ring in at what....$2000? That's $3-4000 i'd be pretty willing to spend to keep IRS.

Nevertheless, your build, your call.

I guess you've settled on an iron block then? Can you even top 4 figures with an al block? I'm not that up to speed on LS capabilities.

Speedracer
12-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I know, but considering the amount of money in fab work to fit either one of them in the rear, and not tear apart the rearend...I'm already planning on a solid $8k in rear suspension and solid rearend...it does start to add up. It's still a possibility, waiting to hear back from the chassis guys at Star and Midwest.

I have an 6.0 iron short block and ls2 aluminum short block available, both with goodies inside to support 1500hp, but with a $3500 price difference. The iron block being cheaper, and generally less problematic. I'd prefer aluminum, but I think with the cost of this particular iron block, I'll start there. Once the car is complete, I'll probably build a 427 aluminum LSX engine using a RHS block http://www.racingheadservice.com/lsblock/BlockSpecs.aspx But I just want to get it going, and this short block is a cheaper investment. $3800 for a complete short block, boost ready, with $3500 of internals, vs a block that cost $4500 by itself...

Quick googling looks like a 1000+hp rated CTSV IRS tips in at about $5500. Considering a nicely built 9" with all the suspension work, springs, whatever else necessary will probably ring in at what....$2000? That's $3-4000 i'd be pretty willing to spend to keep IRS.

Nevertheless, your build, your call.

I guess you've settled on an iron block then? Can you even top 4 figures with an al block? I'm not that up to speed on LS capabilities.

HokieZHP
12-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Subscribed. Can't wait to see the progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedracer
12-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Made an appt with midwest chassis to drop off the car. They won't be able to start until march, but that's ok. said he can get my cage installed and the fab 9 rear and custom suspension inn for less than 10k. I expected at least that, so, guess I'll be stripping out the interior soon and trailer it to ill where it will be worked on until summer!

Johnmadd
12-13-2011, 08:35 PM
We will live through you vicariously, you are obviously a baller. :-)

M3Mark
12-13-2011, 09:11 PM
What an awesome project! Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Speedracer
12-13-2011, 10:10 PM
We will live through you vicariously, you are obviously a baller. :-)

Just 30, single, no kids, good job...lol