PDA

View Full Version : Angel Eye Problem

nike001
12-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Well, I've been posting earlier this week about a ballast going out..and I've got that under control now but rigging up my old ZKW ballast for the time being. Now my passenger side intermittently flickers before start up.

Now, the icing on the cake is my angel eye problem. They come on with the interior lights, but when I start the car and the interior lights go out, the angel eyes do as well. So the problem is that they aren't on with the car (unless I turn the interior lights on)

I've opened the ECU box to chase down that white wire that you're supposed to tap. Unhooked the wire, and still have the same problem. So that must be it... What can I do to re-try this without hurting the OE wire? I'm not sure if taking off that blue tap thing and re-locating it will hurt anything or not. Or maybe I blew a fuse that is somehow related to the OE wire in the ECU box?

imola red zhp
12-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Well, I've been posting earlier this week about a ballast going out..and I've got that under control now but rigging up my old ZKW ballast for the time being. Now my passenger side intermittently flickers before start up.

Now, the icing on the cake is my angel eye problem. They come on with the interior lights, but when I start the car and the interior lights go out, the angel eyes do as well. So the problem is that they aren't on with the car (unless I turn the interior lights on)

I've opened the ECU box to chase down that white wire that you're supposed to tap. Unhooked the wire, and still have the same problem. So that must be it... What can I do to re-try this without hurting the OE wire? I'm not sure if taking off that blue tap thing and re-locating it will hurt anything or not. Or maybe I blew a fuse that is somehow related to the OE wire in the ECU box?

nike I don't know what AE you have but this is for on all the time like DRL's on w/ Ignition pos. 2 and off when interior lights go off after shut down
http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes_orionv2.html
Locate the red wire with white stripe and yellow/gold tracers. Install your blue wire tap using your pliers. Make sure you center the wire tap, then squeeze down using your pliers. Do not sever the wire, DO NOT cut any wires, and DO NOT yank on any other wires. Be careful. :)

http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes/angeleyes31.jpg
http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes/angeleyes32.jpg

Check if your second trigger wire is exposed

nike001
12-17-2011, 12:46 PM
I have Weisslicht ones.. which I've had for well over a year now, So I'm not just not installing them. They've been on my car since about August of 2010 with no problems since then

EDIT: I just relocated the wire tap higher up on the OE red w/ white stripe wire and I'm still getting nothing.

Oli77
12-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Perhaps the problem is the relay switch (the one that is closer to the positive post where you grabbed the power).

From that switch, one wire went to the ECU (the one you just retaped), and the other went into the passenger's foot well (for the fading with the cabin light).

Try to follow that connection. Heck, unhook it, see if that does the trick.

nike001
12-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, I feel dumb. It was the fuse.

Oli77
12-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Not dumb at all. You fixed it didn't you?

imola red zhp
12-17-2011, 01:38 PM
nice easy fix.....

nike001
12-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Not dumb at all. You fixed it didn't you?

Lol yep. I was thinking it was the ECU or something. Happy that it's only a fuse.

nice easy fix.....

Yes, lol thank god. Like I need any more hard, expensive fixes :P

cakM3
12-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Nike,

glad to hear you found the problem....sometimes it is right before your eyes and you don't notice it....all good :thumbsup