PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Getting a DSLR. Advice, Please?

Hochspannung
12-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Hey guys, I would like to get a DSLR in the next month or two. I've never had a digital before and I don't know what to look for. I took photography in high school, but that was with 35mm film and playing around in the dark room. I used a Cannon AV-1 SLR. Basically the end of an era I'd say. What would you guys recommend I look for as a beginner? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

az3579
12-18-2011, 08:32 AM
As Casey says, buy what feels right in your hand. Try them all out and buy according to what feels right. It's not the camera that makes the picture, it's the photographer.

Sent from my iPhone 4S with Tapatalk

edlvrt
12-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Definitely go with what feels good in your hand, but if there is not one model/brand that jumps out at you, think if you have any close friends/family that already own a DSLR. One thing that helped push me towards Nikon was the fact that my uncle was already in the Nikon system with assorted lenses and flashes that I could borrow, not to mention that he could teach me the controls. For the most part, all the different brands are fairly equal in their models and basic lenses and can all produce excellent images when used correctly. It is when you need something specialized that you need to start looking at one brand over another.

Do you still have your Canon? If so, do you have any lenses that can carry over to digital?

yura
12-18-2011, 12:20 PM
My first DSLR was/is a Canon Rebel Xs. Nice camera and fairly affordable. I'm slowly beginning to discover its limitations, but it has been a long process, and I've still got tons to learn. Bought a new lens for it a few months ago which opened up some new possibilities. Thinking a Canon 60D might be my upgrade in the next year or so.

Hochspannung
12-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Yea I still have my canon, but the lens has a big scratch on it so its useless. I just keep it on a shelf to look at. I was looking at a Nikon D5000 yesterday at Costco. I'll be looking more into what I want in a few weeks.

Hochspannung
12-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Although the Canon EOS Rebel T1i is a couple hundred dollars cheaper and comes with accessories. Sounds like a better deal to me.

az3579
12-18-2011, 02:06 PM
I have the Canon Rebel T2i, and bought it because I ha someone who used Canons to teach me how to use it. Sometimes that affects decisions as well.

So far I'm very happy with it. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S with Tapatalk

imola red zhp
12-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I was looking at the 5100 NIKON , but ended up with the Canon T2i went with feel as suggested by Casey. Go with amazon, so we get the credit I paid $665 w/18x55 lens

sent from Dennis' Droid using tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
12-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm with bp. The person who taught me how to shoot, owns a Nikon. I went with Nikon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kpro
12-18-2011, 02:19 PM
I loved my Canon Rebel xs, it was stolen. I hadn't had a camera in about a year, and recently picked up my Nikon D5100, which I love even more :) I'm not really a big fan of the stock 18-55mm VR lens that comes with it. I recommend a non-VR if you can find it...the pics are just so much clearer with other lens, and the reds are better, and low light situations aren't as crisp with the stock lens. Its slow I guess. The main reason in switching to Nikon over Canon is because my bf has Nikon and had a nice collection of lens' for our cameras. I know plenty of people that shoot Canon as well, and speak just as highly about them. Back to Nikon, the D3100 is almost just as nice at the D5100, but is on sale everywhere for $599 right now. I'm not experienced enough to give you the techincal details as to the differences between the 3100/5100, but for about $200 I decided to go with the one with the rotating screen, more MegaPixels, and better sensor.

Dennis/Botond, my friend Chris bought the T2i and LOVES it! Hope you're enjoying yours :)

Hochspann: go to the ZHPmafia Amazon store :) I picked up my camera and extra glass thru there and saved quite a bit over the stores. http://astore.amazon.com/zhpcom-20

johnrando
02-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Bump

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

KevinC
02-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Ken Rockwell has some good advice...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm