PDA

View Full Version : Bedding-in Brakes doityourself

az3579
12-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Here is a little DIY video I made while going out tonight to bed my brakes. I was pleasantly surprised at the video quality of my phone... but without further ado:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRVoNYhvJuE

The time is 21:57; please allow some time for YouTube to process the video. This is hot off the press!

P.S. - Yes, I know; I lost count and actually did 10 stops.

cakM3
12-18-2011, 07:04 PM
nice to see you finding a good use for your iPhone4S :)

Nice DIY BP :thumbsup

Hermes
12-18-2011, 08:48 PM
nice video. there are a few places I can think of to bed some brakes near my house, but definitely not on the freeway

derbo
12-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I love how you did it on the freeway haha. I did it deserted 2lane road.

You aren't suppose to hit ABS though! I had to rebleed my front calipers again after bedding. Perhaps there was still air when I installed it. I bled it with a pressure bleeder at work.

Rovert
12-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Obviously you had great luck on the highway...LOL. People must have been WTF, why is he stopping. Hahaha

I found a back industrial road at night where there is no traffic on it the merges onto the highway. The industrial roads are big enough that you can get up to speed, high the brakes hard and keep doing it within a small area while you U turn so you never stop. :) The only thing is an industrial road you break the speed limit, on the highway you don't....lol. The things us enthusiasts have to do!

az3579
12-19-2011, 02:44 AM
The highway's not a bad place for it as long as nobody's around. Normally I would wait until midnight or so, but I had to be in bed for work the next morning so I had to do it at 20:30. Oh well!

I did hit the ABS... I'm going to do a second run tonight and will try my hardest not to hit ABS. It's freezing cold out; definitely didn't boil the fluid. I will not be rebleeding; too cold.

Sent from my iPhone 4S with Tapatalk

llll1l1ll
12-19-2011, 06:57 AM
For what it's worth, I did not bed in my brakes with 60-0 stops. I only did 30-0 stops. There's still a blueish tint on my rotors and I haven't noticed any strange noises or squeaking. Granted, this was for the rear brakes. My car doesn't see much high speed, anyway.

For the fronts, though, I'll definitely do the more aggressive approach as shown in this DIY.

Nice DIY, btw!

derbo
12-19-2011, 11:51 PM
The highway's not a bad place for it as long as nobody's around. Normally I would wait until midnight or so, but I had to be in bed for work the next morning so I had to do it at 20:30. Oh well!

I did hit the ABS... I'm going to do a second run tonight and will try my hardest not to hit ABS. It's freezing cold out; definitely didn't boil the fluid. I will not be rebleeding; too cold.

Sent from my iPhone 4S with Tapatalk

Hopefully it feels better now! I noticed a dramatic difference with the 135i brakes once they were bedded in to the performance rotors. i love the video. Never would've filmed one for bedding in brakes and I thank you for doing so haha

Rovert
12-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Any in car BMW video no matter what it is, is fun!

MrMaico
12-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Nice job BP! Is your exhaust stock? Sounds nice.....seemed like it was a little louder than mine.

Barry

az3579
12-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Nice job BP! Is your exhaust stock? Sounds nice.....seemed like it was a little louder than mine.

Barry

Fully stock exhaust, sir. It really is quiet, just the phone being ultra sensitive to sound.
Soon to have resonator delete. I do not believe there is a bedding in procedure for this so I should be good to go.

MrMaico
12-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Fully stock exhaust, sir. It really is quiet, just the phone being ultra sensitive to sound.
Soon to have resonator delete. I do not believe there is a bedding in procedure for this so I should be good to go.

LOL....just don't forget the BMW branded muffler bearing grease though.

Ya, must just be the phone. I've noticed if someone calls me and their radio is turned up a ways the cell phone really picks it up. Looking forward to hearing what that sounds like. I've been tempted to do the same.

Barry

orange260z
09-06-2014, 04:42 AM
Hey BP, props... I watched your video before I did my own last week! Except I think I cooked my fluid, the pedal went all mushy. I changed out the fluid last night and now it feels better...

az3579
09-06-2014, 04:51 AM
Hey BP, props... I watched your video before I did my own last week! Except I think I cooked my fluid, the pedal went all mushy. I changed out the fluid last night and now it feels better...

:thumbsup

The pedal doesn't usually feel much better until the next day when it cools off in my cases.