PDA

View Full Version : Why I Don't Use Ebay

kayger12
12-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Whenever I post up that I don't like buying cheap parts off of Ebay and people ask me why, I always say that I've read horror stories-- but I never keep copies of the stories.

This time I decided to memorialize one I saw on another BMW site.

The moral of the story is, sometimes you get what you pay for...

I installed the DISA valve last night and inspected the lower boots (they look new). The car runs like it is brand new now.

About two minutes into my test drive I heard a loud thunk. I though it might have been road debris. When I got home I discovered the $18.00 plastic fan blade assembly I purchased from nana.outpost via eBay disintegrated completely destroying the radiator fan shroud and nearly tore through my hood in two placed. My car looks really classy now with dents and broken paint protruding through the hood.

I put the old BMW original fan on for the time being after closely inspecting the radiator, hoses, belts, and everything else. God only knows what else was damaged.

So, this morning everything seems to be running OK. I'm keeping a close eye on the gauges and water lever (and watching for leaks).

I'm broke now, just in time for Christmas. And January I'll have to fish out ~1200.00 for repairs (hood, fan shroud and ????).

I am not happy out this.

cakM3
12-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Whenever I post up that I don't like buying cheap parts off of Ebay and people ask me why, I always say that I've read horror stories-- but I never keep copies of the stories.

This time I decided to memorialize one I saw on another BMW site.

The moral of the story is, sometimes you get what you pay for...

I have to add that there are some things that you can get from ebay and it will be fine....such items are front lip spoilers, diffuser panels, ///M badges, and rear lip spoilers (cosmetic parts). I have gotten front lip spoilers and rear spoilers and not had any issues with them.

When getting performance oriented parts, however, unless the parts are proven, I would tend to stay with aftermarket (Dinan & Supersprint for example) or go OEM...I agree with you Keith when you say you get what you pay for...

danewilson77
12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Damn...

kayger12
12-21-2011, 10:23 AM
I have to add that there are some things that you can get from ebay and it will be fine....such items are front lip spoilers, diffuser panels, ///M badges, and rear lip spoilers (cosmetic parts). I have gotten front lip spoilers and rear spoilers and not had any issues with them.

Yeah, definitely with you on that, Charlie.

Should have clarified that I was talking about mechanical parts.

danewilson77
12-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Spot on KG....

:santa3

Johnmadd
12-21-2011, 10:38 AM
nameredactedtoprotecttheinnocent
:spit

kayger12
12-21-2011, 10:43 AM
nameredactedtoprotecttheinnocent
:spit

Hehe.

Hornung418
12-21-2011, 10:55 AM
LOL...Epic thread bump. I will only use ebay parts for used OEM parts like Lighting or wheels. Maybe even a block or head...but if you want to buy new parts from an ebay store front?? GTFO...this isn't a Honda...

A recent new member on bf.c comes to mind...happens to drive the same car as me...makes terrible decisions with his money.

telijah
12-21-2011, 10:56 AM
I go by this method only on items I would consider critical. Washer pump? Yeah, I'll take the $15 one from ebay which I seem to have to replace twice a year. Clutch kit? Yeah, I'll take a OEM kit. Wiper blades? Gimme the cheapos! Brake pads? Gimme the cheapos... I kid I kid.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I have been fortunate with eBay.

The one time that I did have an issue, it led me to start a business. Long story short, someone sent me a flat NFL football. I then had to figure out how to repair it. I figured out that Wilson (in Ohio) does ball repair. Cheap. I started buying up all of the crappy NFL balls (flat, etc.) off eBay. Then I would send them in for repair to the factory in Ohio. I would then resell the balls on eBay. At a minimum, I doubled my money. Occasionally, I tripled my money.

I eventually found a source of new NFL footballs (Super Bowl balls in particular). I bought a pallet of them and started selling those, too. Doubled my money there.

It didn't last forever, though. I eventually stopped selling footballs. It was great while it lasted, though. I had no competition.

Sockethead
12-21-2011, 02:14 PM
I have been fortunate with eBay.

The one time that I did have an issue, it led me to start a business. Long story short, someone sent me a flat NFL football. I then had to figure out how to repair it. I figured out that Wilson (in Ohio) does ball repair. Cheap. I started buying up all of the crappy NFL balls (flat, etc.) off eBay. Then I would send them in for repair to the factory in Ohio. I would then resell the balls on eBay. At a minimum, I doubled my money. Occasionally, I tripled my money.

I eventually found a source of new NFL footballs (Super Bowl balls in particular). I bought a pallet of them and started selling those, too. Doubled my money there.

It didn't last forever, though. I eventually stopped selling footballs. It was great while it lasted, though. I had no competition.

That's friggin genius!
Ebay can be a wonderful place if you can find a niche.... I know a certain girl that has done something similar with Coach purses... :biggrin

telijah
12-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Business 101: Find something people need/want that no one else has/offers.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-21-2011, 02:36 PM
^^ exactly.

ZHPMafia.com was pretty much the same thing. We were all kind of floating around there referring to the ZHP Mafia. Unfortunately (but fortunately for me), no one ever started a ZHPMafia.com forum. I understood why no one did it (because it's just an option package), but I still thought that there was demand for this forum. Turns out there was.

The rest is history.

Whitexi
12-24-2011, 02:08 PM
When I got my car I bought a ebay control arm, it let go a week later and messed up my fender.

I only buy oem parts or the parts from the oem manufacturer now. That was when I thought there was no difference and I was much under educated about these cars.

spencers
12-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Heh...

iZHP
12-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Didn't buy from ebay, but the fan assembly fiasco happened to us on the 325i. When the fan clutch went, the blades spun off in all different directions and chopped all power steering lines, cooling, radiator, underside cover was ruined, intake, and hood was all garbage.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/ianbrady/5e93d04a.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/ianbrady/b4d7f09b.jpg

danewilson77
12-29-2011, 04:55 PM
O M G

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
12-30-2011, 08:26 AM
:jawdrop