PDA

View Full Version : Expected life of stock suspension

HokieZHP
12-22-2011, 08:50 AM
So I'm just about at 130k miles and I'm pretty sure my car has the stock suspension. How long should I expect these shocks to last before needing to be replaced? I'd love to get coils but dad would chip in towards them if the stockers are on their way out haha.

As of a couple weeks ago, the stock shocks are not leaking.

gammagoblin
12-22-2011, 09:05 AM
130k? Leaking or not, they are beyond done. As in, they are holding the car up but they are not providing the damping they should be, and probably haven't for a long time.

kayger12
12-22-2011, 09:06 AM
100k max was the number I've been told.

L0veZHP
12-22-2011, 09:22 AM
yeah check out the forum on the website and this e46 forum.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1830-BMW-E46-ZHP-DIY-and-Preventative-maintenance&highlight=miles
(scroll down you'll see what Dane says about suspension.)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=595553

HokieZHP
12-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Ok I'll check in out. I'm gonna call the PO just to double check if they were replaced or not.

I'll wait to ask more questions until I find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HokieZHP
12-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Ok so it was not replaced...guess I'll start looking around for a new setup then. Debating between just some bilstein sports and coils, I'd most likely want linear coils from what I've read though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
12-22-2011, 10:25 AM

+ 1. I like this number.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

brettbimmer
12-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Anyone running Koni's on their ZHP? Not trying to hijack the thread, but curious.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Johal E32
12-22-2011, 11:27 AM
wait, so at 100k the shocks should have been changed? Because my shocks have already been done, so for me, the next step is to change out the control arm bushings right??

az3579
12-22-2011, 01:06 PM
100k is a good time to replace all suspension components that haven't been changed. In my OCD nature (if I had the money, that is) would be both control arms and bushings, tie rods, shocks, springs, strut/shock mounts, swaybar end links. There's probably a couple of small things I'm forgetting.

Luckily for you, there seems to be some time for you to decide what you want as there isn't necessarily anything 'wrong' with your suspension, per se.

Sent from my iPhone 4S with Tapatalk

johnrando
12-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Anyone running Koni's on their ZHP? Not trying to hijack the thread, but curious.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think Gary has Koni's on his Vert and he really likes them, I could have it mixed up though.

LivesNearCostco
12-24-2011, 10:02 AM
I put Koni yellows on my ZHP around August and like them, but can only compare to new rear Sachs Sport shocks and original 135,000 mile (eventually 150,000 mile) Sachs struts. However my Konis are not OTS--the fronts are the Ground Control spec'd Koni struts and the rears are Koni 30-series monotube race shocks (4 rebound settings but must disconnect to adjust) with a threaded adapter on top to make them fit the standard BMW RSM. I got these to simplify use of the GC coilover sleeves in the future but am still running stock springs right now. And GC was out of stock on their custom Koni rear top-adjustable shocks at the time.

brettbimmer
12-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Awesome, thanks for the input fellas! :cheers I had them on my E30 & currently have them on my E36, but was curious to hear about them on the ZHP as I am currently running the stock Sachs myself. The Koni swap will happen sometime in the future!

HokieZHP
01-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Ok so I've been thinking more about suspension and am pretty set on getting coilovers. I want the adjustability and performance since I will be at Virginia Tech with snow so I need to be able to raise it back up. I'm looking to keep it under $1500 or so.

I've been reading a lot about them and the popular brands but I'm thinking I'd like some linear springs and a performance oriented set. I know KW's aren't exactly known for being performance oriented so I was thinking about the Bilstein PSS9's or 10's.

What suggestions do you all have and is there really that big of a difference between linear and progressive springs?

nike001
01-05-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm assuming that mine weren't swapped out by the PO. But my suspension is still good at 115k..

GSEN820
01-05-2012, 07:21 PM
You got a lot out of your stock set up. You will notice a difference with new suspension set up. Here is my set ups on both the cars (keep in mind that my cars are really low = )

I am running H & R cup kit but swapped out the race springs for B & G springs in the red car (325ci). What has been done FCABs, Control Arms, End Links, Camber Kit, RSM Meyle HD's

In the ZHP vert I am running Bilsteins HD with B & G springs, Status Gruppe End Links.

I like the H & R set up a lot more for daily driving ( as it is more comfortable). The ZHP is a lot more fun to take on a canyon runs, as it feels more sturdy than my 325. I like comfort but if I want the handling then the ZHP takes the cake for me

HokieZHP
01-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Yeah I just crossed over 130k miles on my car and I can tell the suspension is still ok but it could definitely be better! haha

I was looking at the Bilstein HD's but I really want to lower my car some but also raise it back up for winter

GSEN820
01-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I am debating on coilovers for the ZHP (seeing that it is the girls car). I am looking at Suspension Techniques for the coilover. A friend of mine had on his car. They are KW at a bargain. Material in production is different.

They were smooth and comfortable (you know us older guys here). I thought for the money and the KW backing you cant go wrong without breaking the bank.

HokieZHP
01-05-2012, 07:59 PM
I am debating on coilovers for the ZHP (seeing that it is the girls car). I am looking at Suspension Techniques for the coilover. A friend of mine had on his car. They are KW at a bargain. Material in production is different.

They were smooth and comfortable (you know us older guys here). I thought for the money and the KW backing you cant go wrong without breaking the bank.

I haven't heard of those before. Yeah I'm 20 so I can afford to have a slightly harsher suspension for better handling haha

HokieZHP
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Anyone have any experience with Tein coils? I was looking at the SS coils.

And can someone explain the $300 difference in these and is it worth it?

http://www.tein.com/products/super_street.html

http://www.tein.com/products/super_street_with_pillowball.html

Stu
01-16-2012, 09:33 AM

Sounds about right. My rears are leaking but my fronts are fine.