PDA

View Full Version : Need help, Im about to order FX-R projectors but have a dilema.

Whitexi
12-23-2011, 04:46 PM
EDIT:

So here's what I ordered.

* 1 x Bi-xenon: FX-R 1.1
o Country Spec: LHD (North American Standard)
$135.00

* 1 x AMP > D2S Ballast Adapters $15.00

* 1 x D2S: Philips 85122+
o Model: Philips 85122+ (4300K)
$95.00

* 1 x E46 Option: Value $15.00

I decided to use the Hella hid ballasts from my OEM fog light kit but grabbed a set of the AMP>D2S adapters just to have. I also found they had a Holiday code for 15% off so instead of the $274.86 shipped I got it all for $235.86 shipped :headbang

So since I basically go to work in the dark and leave work in the dark im quite disappointing with my P46's

I was doing some searching and decided I want the FX-R projectors and have actually talked this over with BP a bit. I know the FX-R's need to be fitted, modded etc in too the headlight but thats not my concern. What i was trying to figure out was if I would...

1. Use my current after market ballasts with the AMP>D2S adapters which just converts the aftermarket ballasts to run the D2S bulb. I was gonna get the Philips 85122+ D2S bulbs also.

2. Just buy the whole FX-R stage III kit with the harness, new ballasts, Philips 85122+

3. Like option 1 but just choose the 3five Morimoto D2S bulbs

4. Like option 2 but with the Morimoto bulbs

Cost.

1. $245
2. $365
3. $200
4. $320

The main issue is idk what watt my current ballast is actually, I never looked but taking Umnitzas word :shifty there supposed to be 50w. Im going to go take a look now and will see if I find anything. EDIT: Turns out I got the shaft, it states 35w on the side and of course its my own negligence for checking two years later. Live and Learn.

Using the Philips 85122+ it says safe with a digital ballast, not sure what that is lol.

Im thinking option 3 or 4 but finding my ballasts are actually 35w I may do option 1. I like options so I made sure there were a few :headbang

Smolck
12-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Just curious, what about the P46 is so bad? Light output?

Whitexi
12-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Yea from Halogen to P46 is like dam but from P46 to say FX-R is like Dayummm. Light out put, and cut off are far better than P46.

I actually never installed the oem HID fog light kit and realized that I have a nice set of OEM Hella Ballasts, It dosen't state the wattage but I checked the bulb that was with the kit and it says OSRAM Xenarc 35w 66040 so idk if thats the stock xenon bulb but I would say that theses ballasts are 35w then since obviously thats the wattage of the bulb from the OEM retrofit kit.

nike001
12-23-2011, 07:13 PM
I recently got Morimoto 5k bulbs and they're definitely dimmer than my old Phillips 85122+. So much so that I changed back, but that was only one of the reasons I changed back. Another reason was that I'm sort of blaming them for killing a ballast. So I'll be getting new 85122+'s soon.

I'm also going to be doing the FX-R retrofit soon. Probably sometime next week whenever my and terra's schedules are both open

Whitexi
12-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Will this be on the weekend that your doing this? If so could I drive up and watch?

As for the bulbs being dimmer could hat be your zkw bowls being burnt mainly? I'm gonna try and find info about them.

nike001
12-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Will this be on the weekend that your doing this? If so could I drive up and watch?

As for the bulbs being dimmer could hat be your zkw bowls being burnt mainly? I'm gonna try and find info about them.

Yeah I can probably wait until next weekend. Why don't you bring yours as well?

And no its not because of the projectors. If you remember, I fitted AL's in last year around this time... but I"m looking for more light even still :)

Whitexi
12-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Yeah I can probably wait until next weekend. Why don't you bring yours as well?

And no its not because of the projectors. If you remember, I fitted AL's in last year around this time... but I"m looking for more light even still :)

If you guys have a day set during the week don't change it for me. I just figured if you were doing it next weekend I'd like to join. I'm going to order mine tomorrow so I should have them by Thursday. I also forgot you put on AL projectors so yea I switched to the Philips lol.

nike001
12-23-2011, 08:22 PM
If you guys have a day set during the week don't change it for me. I just figured if you were doing it next weekend I'd like to join. I'm going to order mine tomorrow so I should have them by Thursday. I also forgot you put on AL projectors so yea I switched to the Philips lol.

Nope we didn't have a set date at all! I'll ask terra tomorrow what day next weekend is good for him. It'll probably be the best since I have work Mon, Tues, & Thurs anyways

Whitexi
12-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Ok sounds good I'm gonna think I'm off sat since that's new years weekend. Sunday definitely off. I was messaging Hyder before asking about info on the ballasts etc. Shoot me a pm if he lets you know.