PDA

View Full Version : Code P0128 fix

khouseal
12-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Received the Temp Too Low...P0128 SES code. So, am replacing thermostat housing. As I have 78K on the car was thinking I may want to do the water pump while in there. Can someone tell me if the 06 ZHP has the newer composite impellers or are they the older plastic type that were known to be a weak point. If I replace it I'll go with the metal bladed type. Live in AZ. Thanks.

kayger12
12-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Received the Temp Too Low...P0128 SES code. So, am replacing thermostat housing. As I have 78K on the car was thinking I may want to do the water pump while in there. Can someone tell me if the 06 ZHP has the newer composite impellers or are they the older plastic type that were known to be a weak point. If I replace it I'll go with the metal bladed type. Live in AZ. Thanks.

They all fail, just different ways.

Plastic and composite both suffer impeller failures.

The metal suffer bearing failures.

Only realistic options are to buy a Stewart or plan on replacing every 60k.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Smolck
12-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Just buy a Graf pump and you will be good for 60-70k miles or more. If you have deeper pockets, the Stewart pump is the best option.

kayger12
12-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Just buy a Graf pump and you will be good for 60-70k miles or more.

No advantage to the Graf over the oem that I've seen.

BCS_ZHP
12-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Bimmerworld has the complete cooling system overhaul kit, including a Behr radiator, at $430 with the Graf w/p and a $130 upgrade for the Stewart w/p. From my limited surfing on this area of maintenance, they appear to be decent prices.

khouseal
12-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the advice. Appreciate your responses.

Smolck
12-27-2011, 04:12 PM
No advantage to the Graf over the oem that I've seen.

Depends on which OEM one you are talking about. The plastic impellar has failed on me twice.

kayger12
12-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Depends on which OEM one you are talking about. The plastic impellar has failed on me twice.

I bought the Saleri from AutohausAZ.com (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-4193730-10701773) which is a composite impeller.

I wasn't aware that there was still a plastic oem made.

What brand were yours and what mileage did they fail at?

Smolck
12-28-2011, 05:07 PM
I bought the Saleri from AutohausAZ.com (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-4193730-10701773) which is a composite impeller.

I wasn't aware that there was still a plastic oem made.

What brand were yours and what mileage did they fail at?

I didn't think they did either, but I called the dealer once about 6 months ago because I needed one in a pinch. They said "we have 13 in stock". I asked "are they composite impellar units?" He checked and said "no, we still use all plastic".

First one failed after 6 months (couldn't tell you the mileage), the other one went about 30k miles.

Note the pics, the impellar busted loose from the inner plastic. FAIL!

kayger12
12-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Wow-- that is unreal.

Thanks for the info.

khouseal
12-29-2011, 08:06 AM
That's exactly what happened to my Braun (German) condensation dryer in the house. That's what made me think to ask the original question re: plastic. Thanks for confirming with the pics.

LivesNearCostco
12-31-2011, 10:05 PM
I see a Geba box in the pic. Were the failed pumps Geba or BMW? I ask because I have a NIB Geba pump in the garage (from ECS Tuning refresh kit) and I think it has a metal impeller.

I didn't think they did either, but I called the dealer once about 6 months ago because I needed one in a pinch. They said "we have 13 in stock". I asked "are they composite impellar units?" He checked and said "no, we still use all plastic".

First one failed after 6 months (couldn't tell you the mileage), the other one went about 30k miles.

Note the pics, the impellar busted loose from the inner plastic. FAIL!