PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper paint repair

HokieZHP
12-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Hey guys so I accidentally pulled too far over a parking block the other day and really scuffed the front of my bumper and now there's a 4-6" grey patch on my front bumper splitters. How would you all recommend I fix this? I was thinking of sanding it down and either spray painting it with some black matching paint, doing the doctor colorchip, or get some BMW paint and go over it.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johal E32
12-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Tell insurance company that you were hit by road debris or something and just the pay the deductible.

UdubBadger
01-01-2012, 11:26 AM
yeah but then it usually raises your premium for 3 years to have a claim on your account, at least it did with State Farm, I didn't even have a claim they just saw that my car got hit by a box that fell off a truck and there was a police report.

jeff57ax
01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Plus.........."accident" shows up on the car's CARFAX record, etc.

HokieZHP
01-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of me just painting the patch myself with some BMW paint or something. Anyone done this?

nike001
01-01-2012, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't suggest going through insurance. Deductible, premium, and carfax? Plus insurance fraud then? eh..

This spring I was planning on getting my front bumper re-sprayed. I think it's only about $200-250. I think that's easier than the other, more illegal way :)

kayger12
01-01-2012, 05:55 PM
I paid $400 to get my bumper painted, but that was at the best place around, and they did a great job. Could've gotten it done for around $250 at a cheaper place.

Either way, it's likely less than your insurance deductible and spares you the issues Nike listed.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Johal E32
01-01-2012, 06:54 PM
I have never gotten any car painted before... But I guess I'll just go to a shop and also have my bumper properly done :)

chris
01-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Plus.........."accident" shows up on the car's CARFAX record, etc.
Not true. I've owned a few cars that got hit, filed a claim, I had them repaired and they never showed up on carfax. Carfax is a joke imho.

Since it's below the splitters, I honestly would not even bother. There is a very high chance you will scrape them again. When I was looking for a ZHP I found only 1 that didn't have any scrapes there (mine).

kayger12
01-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Not true. I've owned a few cars that got hit, filed a claim, I had them repaired and they never showed up on carfax. Carfax is a joke imho.

Agreed, but it will most likely show up on AutoCheck, which more and more people are using.

HokieZHP
01-01-2012, 07:53 PM

Since it's below the splitters, I honestly would not even bother. There is a very high chance you will scrape them again. When I was looking for a ZHP I found only 1 that didn't have any scrapes there (mine).

The scrape is on the front of the splitter to clarify, so it is visible and quite annoying to me haha.

I'm thinking I may just sand it down, and re-paint it with a small dr. Colorchip bottle. It's not too big so I think it will look ok.

JHiggy
01-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Hokie,
I tried this with Dr. Colorchip when I was repairing some small nicks on front. Took a shot at the bumper as I scraped too, down to the grey/black. Two coats of Dr. Colorchip didn't cover it up all that well. I haven't tried 3 coats yet and I'm presuming it just isn't meant to result in this level of fill/cover. Might be wrong but my attempt didn't work out so hot, at least on the scrapes. Maybe others will disagree which would be nice as I'd attempt again.

danewilson77
01-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Hokie,
I tried this with Dr. Colorchip when I was repairing some small nicks on front. Took a shot at the bumper as I scraped too, down to the grey/black. Two coats of Dr. Colorchip didn't cover it up all that well. I haven't tried 3 coats yet and I'm presuming it just isn't meant to result in this level of fill/cover. Might be wrong but my attempt didn't work out so hot, at least on the scrapes. Maybe others will disagree which would be nice as I'd attempt again.

I think you are correct. It doesn't work well on linear type scratches.

It will "blend" it a bit, and make it a bit less noticeable.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Newjack
01-31-2012, 05:41 PM
I have a ton of of rock chips and scrapes on my front bumper from the PO that warrants a new bumper. In the mean time I was thinking about using a black sharpie to fill in the marks as a temp eyesore fix. Good idea or bad idea?

Not trying to thread jack but this was really relevant to my interests.

danewilson77
01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
I have a ton of of rock chips and scrapes on my front bumper from the PO that warrants a new bumper. In the mean time I was thinking about using a black sharpie to fill in the marks as a temp eyesore fix. Good idea or bad idea?

Not trying to thread jack but this was really relevant to my interests.

Bad...just get the Dr. Colorchip. IDK mang....it's up to you....

johnrando
01-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Bad...just get the Dr. Colorchip. IDK mang....it's up to you....

+1

zhp43867
02-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Dr. Color Chip on the front bumper can make a rashed one look passable, but with scraped splitters you really should just get the bumper resprayed. There is a website that also sells colored touch up spray paint and canned paint, but the problem is all of these various paints are way soft compared to OEM quality paint, so they will chip and flake away very quickly on the most vulnerable part of the car (the front).

HokieZHP
02-17-2012, 11:54 AM
So what are opinions on me just getting some CF splitters and calling it a day until I decide to respraying the front end?
Any good options besides BMWF ones that cost as much as a respray? Haha

danewilson77
02-17-2012, 12:15 PM
So what are opinions on me just getting some CF splitters and calling it a day until I decide to respraying the front end?
Any good options besides BMWF ones that cost as much as a respray? Haha

Try dtm-spec.net

HTC Thunderbolt+TT