PDA

View Full Version : Six-Month Storage Suggestions

Crickett
01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
So I'm being reassigned to Las Vegas, & I've decided that the best course of action regarding my ZHP is to store it there whilst I finish up six months of training pre-move. My questions for the Family are:

Best practices for storing our cars long-term (e.g. indoor, outdoor, battery, fluids, tires concerns?)
Recommendations for storage facilities / companies (or ones to avoid)
Any LV locals willing to help out / lend local experience?

M0nk3y
01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
So I'm being reassigned to Las Vegas, & I've decided that the best course of action regarding my ZHP is to store it there whilst I finish up six months of training pre-move. My questions for the Family are:

Best practices for storing our cars long-term (e.g. indoor, outdoor, battery, fluids, tires concerns?)

I have a half of tank of gas, on a battery tender, and 40psi to avoid flat spots. In a cover inside dads garage.

That's it.

Sent using satellite technology

HokieZHP
01-05-2012, 11:20 AM
I'd say full tank of gas with an additive. Half tank means more air and air=moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

telijah
01-05-2012, 12:01 PM
If it's gonna be stored in Vegas, don't store it in a normal self-storage type place, where the inside of the unit will reach like 150 in the Vegas heat. A lot of the adhesives will certainly start to melt, and you'll have gooey stuff all over the place.

M0nk3y
01-05-2012, 12:14 PM
I'd say full tank of gas with an additive. Half tank means more air and air=moisture.

Probably a good idea. But we have our garage sitting at 55 degrees, I doubt there will be any moisture happening

WOLFN8TR
01-05-2012, 02:25 PM

Hey bro I can help ya out if needed. I live in Las Vegas, actually Henderson which is a close suburb. I do believe there are some climate controlled storage units around here. Send me a PM if you have some questions or want me to go look at some places.

Here is a climate controlled car storage. "CLICK" (http://selfstoragefacilities3008.com/)

HokieZHP
01-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Probably a good idea. But we have our garage sitting at 55 degrees, I doubt there will be any moisture happening

Yeah I was saying just in general for others.

Crickett
01-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the tips so far, guys!

Is there a consensus on a good outdoor cover? I looked on CarCoversDirect.com (http://www.carcoversdirect.com/products/car_truck_covers/4/car_cover/custom_fit/bmw/2004/330i//2/) & they have nine different options! It appears that the Block-It 380 is the same one as the official BMW outdoor cover. I'm mostly worried about sun/heat & water. Think any of those would suffice?

Crickett
01-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Any advice, guys? Surely someone has or has seen an outdoor cover they like or dislike!

danewilson77
01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
I heard Noah + 1, Noah -1. I think it was based on how it was used (weather). Thread should be around.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Crickett
02-13-2012, 10:05 AM
So after further thought & deliberation, I'm leaning toward storing it sans cover, with a solar battery tender, & a windshield sun shade. Does anyone know or have experience with how much power (watts) I should be looking for in a solar charger?

The standard (non-waterproof, plug-in) Battery Tender Plus+ is 15 watts (1.25-amp, 12-volt). Battery Tender makes solar panels in 5-, 10-, & 15-watt; I'd like to get the min power that'll suffice & save some $$.

RVAzhp
02-15-2012, 12:22 PM
storing it without a cover sounds...iffy. bird poop and any other things that land on it and sit there long enough will deteriorate the clear coat and you'll forever have spots all over your car. you never know where a bird will poop, and eventually over 6 months one is bound to happen. not to mention water spots getting baked in during hot weather...

Crickett
03-04-2012, 12:08 PM
It's done. She's out in the Nevada sun, waiting for August to roll around.

http://tcholo.net:8080/images/bmw/ZHPLV.jpg

The day before leaving her in the storage lot I took her through a Fabulous Freddy's (http://www.fabfred.com) for a quick wash & hand wax. I know automatic washes & semi-professional wax jobs are a bit sacrilegious, but I figured it was better than nothing, especially to help guard against the inevitable bird poop & blowing dust. The interior is covered by a few old blankets to help prevent UV bleaching, the OE BMW windshield sunshade is guarding the front, & the solar Deltran Battery Tender is on the back deck keeping the battery alive. Here's hoping I find a healthy, if dirty, ZHP waiting anxiously for me when we arrive in August! :fingerscrossed

WOLFN8TR
03-04-2012, 07:03 PM
I thought you were looking for an indoor storage? Man June, July and August are really hot months out here.

Crickett
03-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I thought you were looking for an indoor storage? Man June, July and August are really hot months out here.

I was initially considering it, but the affordability of outdoor storage won out. Might just need a good detailing come Sep; know anybody good? :p

WOLFN8TR
03-07-2012, 08:34 PM
How much was the indoor storage? As far as detailing goes not off hand. I usually do my rides myself.