PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here running the VF engineering supercharger kit for 330i?

Dean
01-05-2012, 06:25 PM
I am seriously contemplating this kit. Spoke to Mike at VAC motorsport and he was extremely helpful with some questions I had. Now, does anyone else here run the kit?
Just trying to get some user feedback. I have read through a few reviews and they were good, just want to look for more.
For $3375, you cannot really go wrong. Im finding it hard to convince myself against it. This is an upgrade I have always wanted in a car and will be accompanied with a valve cover job, new vanos seals, and a cooling overhaul kit.

Go Horns!
01-05-2012, 07:22 PM
here is a thorough review on e46 fantatics: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=681877

was even a 330

Dean
01-05-2012, 07:41 PM
here is a thorough review on e46 fantatics: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=681877

was even a 330

Thanks! I think I have read that one but il give it another read. I like reassurance :)

GSEN820
01-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean
01-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's going to happen! It will be in JulyISH of this year, so everyone will have to wait in anticipation for videos, pics, and maybe a DIY for the kit due to my 6 month deployment that is allowing all of this fun to be purchased.

Already excited 6 months early...

GSEN820
01-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Awesome man I wanted that kit for my but came to the realization its was a 325ci no need to make it the power of the ZHP.

Dean
01-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Awesome man I wanted that kit for my but came to the realization its was a 325ci no need to make it the power of the ZHP.

Haha was that a joke? im sleepy and cant catch on that quick right now..but a 325ci with the vf kit still yielded 100hp + 68 ft/lb! (claimed flywheel numbers). Stomping on ZHP territory!

S85FTW
01-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Haha was that a joke? im sleepy and cant catch on that quick right now..but a 325ci with the vf kit still yielded 100hp + 68 ft/lb! (claimed flywheel numbers). Stomping on ZHP territory!

I dont think he was joking, a zhp with every bolt on imaginable can come close to those numbers 280 crank. Although I have never seen dyno results for a zhp with pulleys, full exhaust, headers, software, intake, camshafts.

Dean
01-05-2012, 09:31 PM
I dont think he was joking, a zhp with every bolt on imaginable can come close to those numbers 280 crank. Although I have never seen dyno results for a zhp with pulleys, full exhaust, headers, software, intake, camshafts.

Ahh got it.. That is true. Headers, pulleys, cams, and exhaust could infact push it CLOSE to that 280. Of course we cannot know for sure..Id say you would get 265 from all of those mods. maybe 270. I also am no expert. Lol.

:)

bullfrogs_M3
01-07-2012, 08:46 AM
I should really dyno my car one day. I am running pretty close to all those minus the headers and cams(although ZHP wouldn't really need to change cams):

ESS Software
Pulleys
CAI (GruppeM)
Full exhaust (TSE3)

Dean
01-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I should really dyno my car one day. I am running pretty close to all those minus the headers and cams(although ZHP wouldn't really need to change cams):

ESS Software
Pulleys
CAI (GruppeM)
Full exhaust (TSE3)

Hmm that would be very interesting to see! I am pretty sure Im supercharging, and like your said with a zhp cams arent really needed. I guess its just surprising that a 325 supercharged vs a max-bolt on ZHP could be close.

zhp43867
01-07-2012, 07:38 PM

ESS Software
Pulleys
CAI (GruppeM)
Full exhaust (TSE3)

The zhp cams are better than non-zhp cams, but they aren't exactly shrick cams. For proof go look at the TMS ZHP project car dynos with and without Shrick cams. Cams and headers are unfortunately two of the biggest power adders for the E46 as well... aggie46 on E46fanatics has 237whp (~275hp) with:

Shrick cams, Technik headers (better than any available right now), Shark injector, Evosport pulleys (I think), Maxbore throttle body, ATI super damper, custom intake, and a custom 3" header back exhaust. I think I forgot some stuff.

This kit has my interest peaked as well. Without an intercooler it is without a doubt a stresser, more than an AA or ESS intercooled kit for sure. However they cost more and I don't know how tangible the difference would be.

Also, VF has had more than their fair share of drama with the E46 M3 but I don't know enough to speak on the subject or its resolution (or lack thereof).

Dean
01-07-2012, 08:31 PM
The zhp cams are better than non-zhp cams, but they aren't exactly shrick cams. For proof go look at the TMS ZHP project car dynos with and without Shrick cams. Cams and headers are unfortunately two of the biggest power adders for the E46 as well... aggie46 on E46fanatics has 237whp (~275hp) with:

Shrick cams, Technik headers (better than any available right now), Shark injector, Evosport pulleys (I think), Maxbore throttle body, ATI super damper, custom intake, and a custom 3" header back exhaust. I think I forgot some stuff.

This kit has my interest peaked as well. Without an intercooler it is without a doubt a stresser, more than an AA or ESS intercooled kit for sure. However they cost more and I don't know how tangible the difference would be.

Also, VF has had more than their fair share of drama with the E46 M3 but I don't know enough to speak on the subject or its resolution (or lack thereof).

Thats good stuff, thanks for the info!

As far as the kit goes, I don't believe intercooling should be an issue. It is only boosted for 6PSI, and I know when the stage 2 kit becomes available, they will be including an intercooler setup. I wish I was an engineer so I could calculate the amount of heat created in relation to PSI. Assuming the higher the boost, the higher the heat?

I just cannot justify spending the extra ~1625 for an intercooler and similar claims HP/Tq wise.

However, from reviews I have found people seem content with the kit. And the numbers seem like they would keep me content.

I spoke with VF engineering the other day regarding CARB woes, and the man I spoke with mentioned they are going to continue testing once they find a low milage 04-05 330i. And once they receive CARB certification, all previously purchased kits will be issued a serial number and official CARB legal.

Dean
01-09-2012, 08:30 AM
What can be taken when comparing these two dynos? first is the VF engineering supercharger kit, second is the ESS tuning twin screw kit. Analyzing them on my own, they seem very similar, even though I have been reading about twin screw power being avaliable earlier in the RPM range. Maybe someone can help explain this? I am no expert, but trying to learn.

I was just looking at 1k RPM intervals and comparing the HP and torque to RPM of each kit, and finding them fairly similar.
VF
http://www.vf-engineering.com/images/kit/bmw/e46_328-330/dyno4.gif
http://www.vf-engineering.com/images/kit/bmw/e46_328-330/dyno3.gif
ESS
http://www.esstuning.com/product_images/j/699/ts1_91_vs_93__58720_zoom.jpg

S85FTW
01-09-2012, 08:42 AM
If you look at the dyno jet results for the ESS twin screw, the Torque range starts at about 225 vs 175 for the VF centrifugal charger. If you look at their HP band its got a much more rapid incline for the twin screw vs the VF. Resulting in faster acceleration and higher top speeds.

Dean
01-09-2012, 10:47 AM
If you look at the dyno jet results for the ESS twin screw, the Torque range starts at about 225 vs 175 for the VF centrifugal charger. If you look at their HP band its got a much more rapid incline for the twin screw vs the VF. Resulting in faster acceleration and higher top speeds.

Ahh, I was confused about this. I wasnt sure if the steepness could be relative to some kind of function for time under load.

Like you said, the max (or close to max) torque is achieved at start of the run with the ESS, where the VF is a gradual slope.

Now i see there is a 50 lb/ft difference between the Dynos lower on the RPM scale, which is slowly closed slowly as the VF builds boost.

Now my question would be, is that advance in Torque achieved worth $2k extra? couldnt I achieve much better numbers by spending $2k on my own, with the possibility of a stage 2 upgrade for the kit?

S85FTW
01-09-2012, 10:56 AM
I personally would go with the the VF centrifugal, reason being is that there are many other ways you could make up for the difference in hp to justify the cost diff. Headers, Intake, full exhaust, could certainly make up that hp difference. I would also spend that $2k towards shrick cams and the results would be higher than the ESS Twin Screw on the dyno for sure.

Dean
01-09-2012, 11:17 AM
I personally would go with the the VF centrifugal, reason being is that there are many other ways you could make up for the difference in hp to justify the cost diff. Headers, Intake, full exhaust, could certainly make up that hp difference. I would also spend that $2k towards shrick cams and the results would be higher than the ESS Twin Screw on the dyno for sure.

That is what I am leaning to. And for 3375 for the kit, its EXTREMELY hard to pass up. and like you said, some Cams, and maybe and intake may make up some of that difference Im missing.

Go Horns!
01-09-2012, 09:47 PM
This guy compares the a centrifugal SS to the ESS twin screw. http://www.my330i.com/essreview3.php

He liked the twin screw more. He owned a Vortec and AA before trying the ESS.

Dean
01-09-2012, 10:11 PM
This guy compares the a centrifugal SS to the ESS twin screw. http://www.my330i.com/essreview3.php

He liked the twin screw more. He owned a Vortec and AA before trying the ESS.

Good reads, thanks for the link. It is write ups like these that make me really go back and forth between the two. I believe the ESS tuning kit is 5350 right now, putting it just about 2000 MORE than the VF kit. However, that torque and boost at low RPMS is undeniable....

s14realm3
06-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Have any of you VF sc owners installed a oil catch can?

jorbon
12-20-2014, 10:49 PM

I'm not sure that intake will do much once you boost-- that's what everyone told me when I put a dasc on my e36 318... Once that mix is being pushed in there with FI, the subtleties of a less restrictive / better shaped intake are pretty much lost. If you need more acceleration after FI/software, I'd recommend a better ratio diff, instead of all that spend on exhaust, headers, intake and whatnot... the diff swap is what the old hot rodders used to call a poor man's supercharger.