PDA

View Full Version : 2002 330xi Alpine White Purchase

johnnyrad
01-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Alright, so I'm about to buy a 2002 330xi 5 speed with 119,000 for my daily driver. I might be totally nuts for now having two 330's but oh well. My wife and I are trading in our Volvo, it's a awesome ride but we are paying way to much a month. She will get back my current dd, the pathy, and the Swede machine moves on. The xi is in real nice shape, drives fine, a little "smushy" or soft if you will but I'm used to the Z. Everything works, quiet with no noises or rattles. I was actually expecting worse. It was owned by a police officer which I kinda like :dunno..But I realize I have about $800 in immediate maintenance items to take care of such as coolant system, belts, oil, plugs, etc...Which I'm ordering the parts right now. Pics will be coming of the new family member once I get her home and settled in.

My question is what about transmission mounts, motor mounts, and guibo? Should I tackle these items or wait? Never did these items before and can't really find any diy's. So I reach out to the family.

Whitexi
01-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Make sure that with whatever you order its XI specific, anything suspension wise is xi only mounts etc but. Also parts are twice the cost of anything RWD. The mount for the trans is only one and its in the xfer case.

As for any D.I.Y your best bet if anything is out there is on E46fanatic's since they have a xi specific forum. I say don't mess with anything as far as mounts and look at the fron't cv boots. Change the fluids in the diff's, xfer case and the trans and change the cooling system if its never been done.

johnnyrad
01-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Change the fluids in the diff's, xfer case and the trans and the cooling system if its never been done.

Thanks for your input Whitexi. I'm a little confused on the type of fluid for the diff's. Do I use Redline 75w/90 and MT-90 for the tranny?

danewilson77
01-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Congrats Johnny.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Whitexi
01-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I used Redline 75-90 for the diff's and Redline MTL for the xfer case. As for the trans idk because mines an auto.

Heres a good read for the xfer case http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=801672&highlight=transfer+case+fluid

Make sure that you order new o ring seals ( there a metal type ) for the diff and xfer case drain and fill plugs.

johnnyrad
01-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Congrats Johnny.

Thanks brutha..I'm excited..I hope it snows soon!

johnnyrad
01-10-2012, 06:01 PM
I used Redline 75-90 for the diff's and Redline MTL for the xfer case. As for the trans idk because mines an auto.

Hers a good read for the xfer case http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=801672&highlight=transfer+case+fluid

Nice thanks man. Good info appreciate it.

imola red zhp
01-10-2012, 06:38 PM
We have a Diff Thread this might help if not the e46 fanatics one do,

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5728-Differential-ZHP-(E46)-Oil-Change

ryankokesh
01-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Congrats! Gonna go for the zhp of xi's?

Anyway, be vigilant about checking the CV boots. If they crack grease leaks, junk gets in, stuff breaks, it get's expensive. Also, you're gonna start looovin the snow :)

johnrando
01-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Don't know about XI's but very cool for your purchase. There is an XI section on e46f.c.

johnnyrad
01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Congrats! Gonna go for the zhp of xi's?

Thanks man. ZHP of xi's? I like it.

Anyway, be vigilant about checking the CV boots. If they crack grease leaks, junk gets in, stuff breaks, it get's expensive. Also, you're gonna start looovin the snow :)

Hmmm what is this thing you call CV boots? :)
Seriously tho, is there a diy for replacing these? Is is easy or a PITA? Expensive?

johnnyrad
01-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Just drove her home. Man it drives better then my wife's XC90 that had 46,000 miles on it! -1 for the Swede's. Only got it up to 80 mph on the highway and..smooth as silk baby and quick. Should be quick being a 330. God I love the E46 platform. Anyway here are a few fresh pics. Paid $9,300

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/bslotterbach/DSC_0415.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/bslotterbach/DSC_0416.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/bslotterbach/DSC_0417.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/bslotterbach/DSC_0418.jpg

Ordered about $500 bucks worth of parts from ECS Tuning last night so will have lots of wrenchin to do over the next few weeks. First up on Sat is oil and filter and brake bleed with ATE Super Blue. Next Saturday belts, plugs, fuel filter, and coolant overhaul. Can't wait to get in there and get dirty! Yea Haw

Edit: Not sure about the beach ball orb thingy floating over the car in the second picture. Maybe I should submit it Ghost Hunters..or maybe it's a rain drop. ha

ranger
01-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Great buy!

johnnyrad
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
^Thanks Ranger

danewilson77
01-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Looks great Johnny.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

ryankokesh
01-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks man. ZHP of xi's? I like it.

Hmmm what is this thing you call CV boots? :)
Seriously tho, is there a diy for replacing these? Is is easy or a PITA? Expensive?

Yeah, it's not a simple job. You need a hub puller, so that kind of scared me away from trying. I just paid my indy a bunch of money to do it (one side only so far...). I didn't have much of any diy experience of confidence back then though, so I'd probably give it a go now.

johnnyrad
01-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Changed the oil tonight on the xi. Also doing a brake bleed on Sat with ATE Super Blue. The big stuff will start next weekend. I'm very pleased to find that while underneath the car it appeared to be clean. No leaks and the CV boots looked original and had no tears or rips. They did however show signs of dry rot but appeared to not be comprimised...until I checked the metal bands on the outer boot. It had serious play on the passenger side and water and dirt I would think could sneak in there. So the outer boots should be changed. But other then that I give the overall condition an A- simply because the belts need changing and the ps cap gasket is smushed beyond recognition allowing ps fluid to ooze out. But all things considered they are very simple and easy fixes.

On a side note, folks that see the car can't believe I paid what I did for it. Some other's thought the car was new. Goes to show that the E46 styling was so far ahead of it's time and ahead of all other cars. Now if it would just snow already.. :)

Edit: I also found a JCL Automotive card in the glove box. +1 right there. They are a BMW indy shop in the area and that tells me the PO at least probably took the car there for service and not to Kudor's garage. Not that Kudor is a bad dude or anything but ya know.

echo46
01-14-2012, 05:29 AM
Congrats, sounds like a nice ride. Sorry I can't help with respect to the xi. Power steering refresh i.e. Resevoir replace and hose replace fairly easy. Good luck with her.

Whitexi
01-14-2012, 07:28 AM
I remove the axle nut lower control arm nut and that's it. I push the axle trough the hub and swing the hub out and that gets that part out. Then just tap the axle out the diff. I can do it on my car in about 1 hour and some change.

I also have changed the boot without any crazy tools really. I used a hammer and nicked the cv joint off the axle shaft and then that was it. I only bought a cv boot clamp pliers at napa and used an oem boot kit.

johnnyrad
01-15-2012, 05:36 AM
Well upon further inspection, My inner driver's side CV boot is ripped and spewed grease all over the top of the control arm. So that is a fail and must be replaced. I didn't see this the first time as I was only inspecting the outer CV boots. Duh. After some more research and since the other CV boots seem passable for now, I decided just to simply replace both the left and right front axles that way it's done and I don't have to worry about it probably for another 100k mile. I think I would rather just replace the whole axle then simply the boots because the amount of work appears to be the same. I got both axles from FCP Groton along with two diff output seals for about $250, which is a total win I think. I'm a tad bit intimidated with this DIY to be honest as I have yet to see any actual vids of how the shaft goes into the diff. How do you know when it's in and seated? Does it click in or do you have to use a hammer and whack it in? Idk I'll keep searching.

MrMaico
01-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Well upon further inspection, My inner driver's side CV boot is ripped and spewed grease all over the top of the control arm. So that is a fail and must be replaced. I didn't see this the first time as I was only inspecting the outer CV boots. Duh. After some more research and since the other CV boots seem passable for now, I decided just to simply replace both the left and right front axles that way it's done and I don't have to worry about it probably for another 100k mile. I think I would rather just replace the whole axle then simply the boots because the amount of work appears to be the same. I got both axles from FCP Groton along with two diff output seals for about $250, which is a total win I think. I'm a tad bit intimidated with this DIY to be honest as I have yet to see any actual vids of how the shaft goes into the diff. How do you know when it's in and seated? Does it click in or do you have to use a hammer and whack it in? Idk I'll keep searching.

Do you have a Bentley manual? They don't really say what to use to re-install, just says.......

"When pressing drive axle into front axle differential or bearing pedestal, be sure to press axle beyond resistance of spring clip. Spring clip must snap audibly into place."

About removal they just say......

"use BMW special tool 31 1 170 or equivalent pry bar, pry inboard cv joint out of front diff or bearing pedestal."

johnnyrad
01-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Do you have a Bentley manual?

Yes I have one, haven't really flipped through it yet on the drive train section, I usually just run to the web. I need to see pictures and video of somebody actually doing it to feel comfortable. I found a few videos out there that are pretty good. I will just have to give a try right? Time for me to take the swimmies off and jump in the deep end of the pool. :fingerscrossed

MrMaico
01-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Yes I have one, haven't really flipped through it yet on the drive train section, I usually just run to the web. I need to see pictures and video of somebody actually doing it to feel comfortable. I found a few videos out there that are pretty good. I will just have to give a try right? Time for me to take the swimmies off and jump in the deep end of the pool. :fingerscrossed

I know exactly what you're saying. Much rather see a video or good diy. Bentley is kind of the last resort since they don't get real detailed on a lot of things.

Just go for it, figure it out as you go. :biggrin

johnnyrad
01-15-2012, 12:15 PM
^Exactly! Thanks for you insight MrMaico.

johnnyrad
01-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Well I canceled the order for the axles from FCP Groton. Found out their axles are prone to fail with a year or two. So thanks but no thanks. Instead I ordered just the inner and outer boots with diff seal just for the axle that has a ripped boot. I'll try this approach first, and since I don't have any clicking or vibration's going on maybe it's not to late to save the driver's side axle. Strange that I'm fretting over this as the car drives flawlessly. :dunno

MrMaico
01-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Well I canceled the order for the axles from FCP Groton. Found out their axles are prone to fail with a year or two. So thanks but no thanks. Instead I ordered just the inner and outer boots with diff seal just for the axle that has a ripped boot. I'll try this approach first, and since I don't have any clicking or vibration's going on maybe it's not to late to save the driver's side axle. Strange that I'm fretting over this as the car drives flawlessly. :dunno

Good call. I thought I had read that somewhere before but didn't know if I should say anything since I wasn't sure.

You sound like me. I replaced front control arms/bushings along with front struts and rear shocks when probably all I needed was FCABs. Should be good for another 100,000 though now.

johnnyrad
01-17-2012, 03:24 AM
Good call. I thought I had read that somewhere before but didn't know if I should say anything since I wasn't sure.

Thanks, yea I also read that the supplier they get their axles from are made in a certain communist country, and I would rather buy US or German parts for my ride if at all possible. I get a little over zealous and start ordering all kinds of parts to fix an issue. Sounds like you do the same also ha ha. I figure it's not like food, they don't spoil right?

Ryans323i
01-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Wow, just getting through this thread. Great pic up! I <3 Alpinweiss. And, that's a pretty neat body pinstripe, ///M colors?

Anyways, looks like you getting the maintenance handled. Should be a great dd for ya!

johnnyrad
01-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Wow, just getting through this thread. Great pic up! I <3 Alpinweiss. And, that's a pretty neat body pinstripe, ///M colors?

Anyways, looks like you getting the maintenance handled. Should be a great dd for ya!

Thanks Ryans323i. So far so good, it drives like silk and handles the twisties remarkably well for stock suspension with no sport package. You like the pinstripe? I'm not a pinstripe guy but I like it also. From what I can tell I think it's painted on, so I'm keeping it.

Just replaced the AC belt tonight cause that's the only part that came. Still waiting on a big box from ECS full of maintenance parts. Typical stuff so once I get those items taken care of I figure I should be able to go 200K + no problem. I actually like getting up for work and driving there. he he wish I had a longer commute.

Ryans323i
01-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Painted on pinstripe = :drool

johnnyrad
01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Well it's been a week and a half since I purchased the XI and I must say she's running pretty fresh right now. Here is a list of what I have done so far, and yes my lower back aches from bending over and I have removed the air box so many times I think I can now do it in about 15 seconds flat.

Bleed brakes with ATE Super Blue/change oil and filter with Mobil 1
Clean MAF
Replace AC Belt
Replace lower intake boot, replace power steering cap gasket
Replace drive belt, ac pulley, deflection pulley, water pump pulley, power steering pulley, and tensioner pulley. Replace air filter with OEM. Replace hood roundel and swap out original kidney grills with matte black grills.
Replace wiper blades
Change spark plugs (NGK Laser Platinum), change front and rear differential fluid with Redline 75x90, change transfer case fluid with Redline MTL.
Replace fuel filter and fuel lines running two and from filter
Replace upper intake boot, "F" fitting, and replace DISA