PDA

View Full Version : 2012 ZHP Mafia SIGFest (East Caravan) - Williamsburg, VA - May 18th, 19th, & 20th

cakM3
01-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Hey everyone,

I thought I would start a thread for those who will be interested in joining the caravan down from New England to Dane's 2012 ZHPMafia reunion. :thumbsup

As you add yourself let us know where you will plan to meet up. I intend to drive down the I-95 corridor for the trip. If any of you have ideas be sure to post them :thumbsup

Just copy and add yourself to this list so we all can have an idea as to how big this caravan will be. Should be an awesome sight seeing lots of ZHPs coming into Dane's :)

1. cakM3 - Rhode Island

GMATT
01-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Will be leaving from Upstate NY (Rochester)................may be able to meet on 95?

Whitexi
01-11-2012, 06:12 AM
I was planing to leave around 9 am Friday to be there around 5-6.

Chad44
01-11-2012, 06:38 AM
I'm coming from Worcester, MA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad44
01-11-2012, 06:42 AM
1. cakM3 - Rhode Island
2. Chad44 - Worcester, Massachusetts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hornung418
01-11-2012, 07:41 AM
1. cakM3 - Rhode Island
2. Chad44 - Worcester, Massachusetts
3. Hornung418 - Bel Air, MD (Exit 77 on I95)

Courtesy of Gingerbread...

cakM3
01-11-2012, 08:03 AM
I would like to add that there will be several here who will be leaving at different times so it will be good to know to make groups in case times are not compatible with your schedules...

One group will be leaving New England (Bridgeport CT area) sometime around midnight on Thursday the 17th, this will be my group:

1. cakM3
2. az3579
3. Chad44

I would guess that the times may be too early for some so use this thread to set up your group as well. I think having one centralized thread to work out details and how many travelers will make planning easier for everyone.

For those traveling down from New Hampsire/Mass I will meet up with you guys at Exit 7 off of I-95 in Rhode Island at the Crackerbarrel restaurant parking lot. Then we can drive down to meet up with BP....

Those of you who desire to join us who are located closer to Dane can post best place to meet up at along the way....should make this trip more interesting :thumbsup

echo46
01-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Damn, don't think I can make that weekend as I have a triathlon planned. I am going to try to move things around.

S85FTW
01-11-2012, 08:46 AM
unfortunately there is no way I could come :crying, my bachelor party is March 29th-April 2nd, my wedding is April 14th and my honeymoon is the 16th - 23rd. 10 vacations days gone right there. See you next year guys.

jayjay_dee
01-11-2012, 09:08 AM
I wanna join the caravan too..

im close to exit 15E or 14B off NJ Turnpike, so anyone of you can holler at me once you get to I95 S....

Hornung418
01-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Let's get some talkie walkies...that way we can share info...maybe make friends with the truckers :shifty

cakM3
01-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Let's get some talkie walkies...that way we can share info...maybe make friends with the truckers :shifty

I have a set of walkie talkies that I will be bringing with me for the trip :thumbsup

az3579
01-11-2012, 12:27 PM
I have a set of walkie talkies that I will be bringing with me for the trip :thumbsup

I have a set as well... Assuming they still work.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

Hornung418
01-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Do we need the same brand? Or can we get a way with just the same frequency with the same channel?

nike001
01-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I'll be merging on to I-95 near Springfield, VA as per google maps. Maybe I'll be able to catch you guys..

Hornung418
01-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Get there a half hour early and just wait at the on ramp for the big train of e46s to come through...pop her in first and catch up ;)

Does everyone have an easy pass? Or will we need to chill out while we wait for peeps to pay with the cash?

cakM3
01-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Do we need the same brand? Or can we get a way with just the same frequency with the same channel?

They shouldn't have to be the same brand....as long as you all are on the same channel you should be able to communicate with each other.

Get there a half hour early and just wait at the on ramp for the big train of e46s to come through...pop her in first and catch up

Does everyone have an easy pass? Or will we need to chill out while we wait for peeps to pay with the cash?

I for one have E-Zpass so I won't need to slow down but will for others :thumbsup We got time now to coordinate things.... all I can say is that it would be awesome if we can get a nice sized caravan to go down to the meet in.....just remember....no racing or crazy stuff while going down...

sum1orotha
01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Might I suggest that someone in each group use Google Latitude (http://www.google.com/latitude) on their smartphone? Then those of us who want to catch the caravan driving down I-95 will have a pretty good idea of where each pack is and we can jump in.

I'm in Baltimore and won't be able to make the drive down to Williamsburg, but it might be fun to drive with you guys through Maryland.

llll1l1ll
01-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm probably going to be attending this meet so long as I'm not involved in anything super important that weekend. I live in Bethesda, which is on 495, which is part of 95. I just Google mapped it and if you guys are coming from Rhode Island, it looks like it'll take you through the city on 295. I can probably time it just right to meet you all as you hit traffic towards Springfield.

If there was only some way I could track the progress of your trips...

Hornung418
01-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Might I suggest that someone in each group use Google Latitude (http://www.google.com/latitude) on their smartphone? Then those of us who want to catch the caravan driving down I-95 will have a pretty good idea of where each pack is and we can jump in.

I'm in Baltimore and won't be able to make the drive down to Williamsburg, but it might be fun to drive with you guys through Maryland.

Great suggestion! Someone mentioned that in my GIS class yesterday. So accurate it can place the locations of two different individuals in the same house!

Why can't you make the meet? We'd love you to join us!

prowlerflyer
01-12-2012, 11:06 AM
They shouldn't have to be the same brand....as long as you all are on the same channel you should be able to communicate with each other.

Some walkie-talkies use sub-audible tones transmitted when the PTT is pressed. It is sort of a poorman's encryption, to allow for exclusive conversations. So, only radios of that brand, and sometimes model, can communicate. Should be in your radio's documentation.

Man, I wish I could go to this...

Steve

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cakM3
01-12-2012, 11:10 AM

Now that's an awesome idea :thumbsup

Downloaded and installed in my iPhone. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

cakM3
01-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Some walkie-talkies use sub-audible tones transmitted when the PTT is pressed. It is sort of a poorman's encryption, to allow for exclusive conversations. So, only radios of that brand, and sometimes model, can communicate. Should be in your radio's documentation.

Man, I wish I could go to this...

Steve

Thanks for the heads up Steve, I was unaware of this.

prowlerflyer
01-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Unfortunately I have a dark geek side, forced on me professionally. Usually, if you key your radio and it does the multi beep, it's key matching with sub-audible tones. Ah, the things I wish I did not waste brain power on.

az3579
01-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Unfortunately I have a dark geek side, forced on me professionally. Usually, if you key your radio and it does the multi beep, it's key matching with sub-audible tones. Ah, the things I wish I did not waste brain power on.

I'm confused. So would the different brand radios still work with each other??
I haven't had problems in the past linking up my radio to the radios we used at auto-x (they have a bunch they distribute to the workers).

prowlerflyer
01-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Sorry to be confusing, but the only way to find out is to review your radio's manual to see if they use a secure TX or not. Think of it this way, if a manufacturer makes a radio with confidential/secure communications, "for your safety", now you will be forced to buy more of their products to expand your network.

Inexpensive radios are less likely to use the technology.

sum1orotha
01-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Why can't you make the meet? We'd love you to join us!

I've already got a wedding the weekend prior to this, and then Memorial Day weekend I'll be traveling to Mexico so I'm thinking I might need a break in between at home. Really though, it'll probably be a game time decision for me.

Who knows...when I jump in the caravan with you guys on 95 I might just find myself stopping in Williamsburg with all beautiful ZHPs around me. :thumbsup

Hornung418
01-13-2012, 10:19 AM
I've already got a wedding the weekend prior to this, and then Memorial Day weekend I'll be traveling to Mexico so I'm thinking I might need a break in between at home. Really though, it'll probably be a game time decision for me.

Who knows...when I jump in the caravan with you guys on 95 I might just find myself stopping in Williamsburg with all beautiful ZHPs around me. :thumbsup

Be sure to let us know!

Whitexi
01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
So its probably to early to tell from about who is to go from where at what time. I was wondering though when would everyone be stopping for gas etc. I know it may sound over paranoid but I now in the warm weather stop and fill up every half tank or just a bit under at the least. I try to keep the fuel pump as submerged as possible becasue its original and has a crap ton of miles now haha. So I just don't want to be the "inconvenience".

az3579
01-13-2012, 02:30 PM
So its probably to early to tell from about who is to go from where at what time. I was wondering though when would everyone be stopping for gas etc. I know it may sound over paranoid but I now in the warm weather stop and fill up every half tank or just a bit under at the least. I try to keep the fuel pump as submerged as possible becasue its original and has a crap ton of miles now haha. So I just don't want to be the "inconvenience".

Jersey would be THE place to stop... Less than $3.50 a gallon in parts for 93. :)

Whitexi
01-13-2012, 02:51 PM
I think I stopped a total of 3 times last time.

az3579
01-13-2012, 03:27 PM
I think I stopped a total of 3 times last time.

I can see twice, but three times? Lead foot, much? Lol

I made it on one tank. Had about 1.5 gallons left.

Whitexi
01-13-2012, 03:41 PM
I fill up every half tank in the warm/ hot weather. I have an original pump with a lot of miles so I want to keep it submerged and cool.

az3579
01-13-2012, 03:55 PM
I fill up every half tank in the warm/ hot weather. I have an original pump with a lot of miles so I want to keep it submerged and cool.

Ah, that's what you meant. Didn't click before. Lol

cakM3
01-13-2012, 08:04 PM
... I just don't want to be the "inconvenience".

No inconvenience at all...:thumbsup

I'm the same way....don't like to get too low on gas when going long distance...

Whitexi
01-15-2012, 02:16 PM
No inconvenience at all...:thumbsup

I'm the same way....don't like to get too low on gas when going long distance...

Sounds good then I figured I wasn't the only one haha.

cakM3
01-17-2012, 04:48 AM
Jersey would be THE place to stop... Less than $3.50 a gallon in parts for 93. :)

Like BP said Jersey is a good place to stop and fuel up :thumbsup

kayger12
01-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Certainly is. $3.47 for 93 octane fill up this past weekend.

llll1l1ll
01-17-2012, 06:52 AM
I'll be able to make it to Dane's on one tank, so no need to worry about filling up for me.

For those of us for sure going and participating in the caravan, we should probably exchange phone numbers beforehand should one of us have an emergency, an issue or otherwise needs to fall back for a moment. In previous caravans (in the E30 crowds), people get carried away and end up going well over the speed limit. My insurance is nice and low, and I'd like to keep it that way! So, should you guys go too fast I can just catch up later or something.

az3579
01-17-2012, 07:17 AM
I don't know about the rest of the caravan, but Charlie and I are cruising. None of that 80mph foolishness (at least I remember him agreeing to that lol). I personally plan on cruising at 70 the whole way (except in Maryland - 55 the whole way! Speed nazi's)...

Hornung418
01-17-2012, 10:18 AM
55 in MD is ridiculous...the limit is 65 mph...I drive 74 mph on I-95 and have never once been pulled over doing so. Over 80 and they'll notice you real quick.

The key to not getting pulled over is to just go with the flow and stay out of lane 1 except to pass. Guarantee you that we'll be fine doing 70 like you would be doing the whole way down.

cakM3
01-17-2012, 01:09 PM
I don't know about the rest of the caravan, but Charlie and I are cruising. None of that 80mph foolishness (at least I remember him agreeing to that lol). I personally plan on cruising at 70 the whole way (except in Maryland - 55 the whole way! Speed nazi's)...

I'm planning to keep my speedo at no more than 5 mph over posted speed limits...speed cameras all over in Maryland and DC area.... I like keeping my insurance cheap...:)

Cruising seems fine with me, especially with many ZHPs in the caravan....that alone will bring attention to the LEOs so we all need to be careful and safe :thumbsup

BP, if you stay within 5 mph in Maryland you will be okay....I do this drive from BWI to DC all the time for work. This is the speed I keep to and have never been pulled over (with ///M or ZHP)....in fact, I get passed by the LEOs when driving at 5 mph over and they don't even look :) They are looking for much more aggressive drivers....plenty there...

llll1l1ll
01-18-2012, 06:41 AM
I always thought that you can drive up to 9 over the limit and they won't getchya. It's when you start doing 10 over. But I'm glad to hear that nobody plans on driving ultra fast.

Here in MD, it seems that speed limit signs mean nothing. I usually just go with the flow on I-495 and I-95, which appears to be about 10 over the limit. I believe the LEOs are looking for people that are seriously speeding or weaving in and out.

Hornung418
01-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Pete, you're spot on.

kayger12
01-18-2012, 08:29 AM
In Jersey, they're not even looking until your going 78 in a 65, and most won't waste their time unless you're over 80.

Left lane flow on GSP and Turnpike is often 80mph.

llll1l1ll
01-18-2012, 12:43 PM
In most of these urban areas, doing less than 10 over seems to be impeding the flow of traffic, which is super unsafe and can get you a ticket.

sum1orotha
01-18-2012, 02:51 PM
I-95 in MD only has two "speed cameras" that I know of; 1) Before you get to I-695 on I-95 there's a construction zone, 2) Near the I-95 and MD-200 (ICC) construction zone. Even then, I haven't seen the mobile speed camera set-ups near those places in a good while.

Going 75mph on I-95 is completely reasonable. Usually even if I'm doing near 80mph in the passing lane and forget to get back over, someone will get on me fairly quickly. Even though the caravan might draw more attention, if you stick the cruise on at 75mph, I doubt any state trooper will bother to pull anyone over.

Still debating whether I'll be able to make the trip down. It would be nice to be amongst knowledgeable people since I need to do a vanos fix and the cooling system overhaul. I'll know if I can swing it as the date comes closer.

cakM3
01-18-2012, 03:00 PM
That is correct sir :thumbsup If you keep at the flow of traffic or slightly above (5mph) you should have no issues while driving down. Going through NYC and DC you want to stay with the flow as to not impede traffic.

Whitexi
01-19-2012, 04:33 AM
i just stay with the flow, otherwise it seems as if your in the way and will be getting clipped like I almost did last year on I95. It is I95 so its not like I was surprised.

Ryans323i
01-19-2012, 08:13 AM
So you guys are planning on getting into Williamsburg 8-9am Friday morning?

danewilson77
01-19-2012, 08:37 AM
So you guys are planning on getting into Williamsburg 8-9am Friday morning?

Should get to W'Burg no earlier than 1700 on Friday....unless a few want to show up early to help setup. Also...."Chefs" will need to be a lil early to "prep".

Ryans323i
01-19-2012, 08:49 AM
I was just curious because Charlie mentioned leaving CT at midnight Thursday. I was going to try to coordinate a major NE meets SE around 64/295 junction and we could all cruise in on 64 together. But David and I are thinking leaving Asheville ~8am Friday. So....

cakM3
01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
I was just curious because Charlie mentioned leaving CT at midnight Thursday. I was going to try to coordinate a major NE meets SE around 64/295 junction and we could all cruise in on 64 together. But David and I are thinking leaving Asheville ~8am Friday. So....

Ryan,

That's an awesome idea!!! Yeah, if anything, you can coordinate with others who are leaving later on.....I think my group will be in Dane's area much earlier on Friday to help Dane set up :)

I like this idea though :)

Ryans323i
01-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Are you planning on leaving so early for a specific reason, or would you mind waiting until later?

jayjay_dee
01-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Charlie, so what time are you gonna be at Botonds? im an hour away south from him ... Williamsburg VA is around 7 hours away from me...
im targeting to leave at 9-10 am Friday...

Ryan, sounds like a good idea, should be more fun if we can pull that...

cakM3
01-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Are you planning on leaving so early for a specific reason, or would you mind waiting until later?

Ryan,

I'm taking BP's lead on leaving that early to avoid the heavy traffic from NYC and DC. From my experience, even though I'm not a big fan of driving in the middle of the night, it is so much easier to get through NYC and DC.

az3579
01-19-2012, 02:59 PM
55 in MD is ridiculous...the limit is 65 mph...I drive 74 mph on I-95 and have never once been pulled over doing so. Over 80 and they'll notice you real quick.

The key to not getting pulled over is to just go with the flow and stay out of lane 1 except to pass. Guarantee you that we'll be fine doing 70 like you would be doing the whole way down.

I've driven the route to Dane's place a few times last year. Not once have I seen a 65mph speed limit on the routes that I took.
Travelling late at night in the dark is nerve racking because you're mostly alone, so "go with the flow" doesn't apply. They are speed nazi's in MD, so I ain't takin' any chances, especially with speed cameras.

I always thought that you can drive up to 9 over the limit and they won't getchya. It's when you start doing 10 over. But I'm glad to hear that nobody plans on driving ultra fast.

Here in MD, it seems that speed limit signs mean nothing. I usually just go with the flow on I-495 and I-95, which appears to be about 10 over the limit. I believe the LEOs are looking for people that are seriously speeding or weaving in and out.

The way I see it is this: 9 is cutting it awfully close to the limit where LEOs start to care. This really is dependent on the circumstances.

Traffic. Not going to sit through traffic, regardless of how minor it is. It's nice and quiet the whole way down if travelling during these gawd-forsaken times in the morning. It is soooooo nice, as I can tell from past experience. :)
Daylight usually brings (1) more idiotic drivers, (2) lots of traffic, (3) more police, (4) traffic, (5) traffic, (6) rush hour(s), and did I mention (7) traffic?

I also like to make it in one tank, so the highest I plan on going, unless road conditions permit (down hill, for example), is 70. I plan on keeping that needle pegged at 30mpg+ almost the entire way. :)

kayger12
01-19-2012, 03:16 PM
I've driven the route to Dane's place a few times last year. Not once have I seen a 65mph speed limit on the routes that I took.

I'm guessing you never touched I-95 then...

I-95 speed limits:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/US_speed_limits.svg/600px-US_speed_limits.svg.png

danewilson77
01-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Ryan,

I'm taking BP's lead on leaving that early to avoid the heavy traffic from NYC and DC. From my experience, even though I'm not a big fan of driving in the middle of the night, it is so much easier to get through NYC and DC.

Nothing good happens after midnight Senior Chief!!!!

Well...at least in VA.

Hornung418
01-19-2012, 04:03 PM

I-95 speed limits:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/US_speed_limits.svg/600px-US_speed_limits.svg.png

+1

BP, if you and Charlie want to leave at midnight to avoid traffic, fine by me, but I wont be joining your caravan. As long as you're through DC by 5:00pm there is nothing to worry about. I really think you're too concerned about getting there. What are you gonna do for six hours before anyone even shows up at Dane's?

danewilson77
01-19-2012, 04:06 PM
+1

BP, if you and Charlie want to leave at midnight to avoid traffic, fine by me, but I wont be joining your caravan. As long as you're through DC by 5:00pm there is nothing to worry about. I really think you're too concerned about getting there. What are you gonna do for six hours before anyone even shows up at Dane's?

Drink beer? Work on car/s? Help setup?

Like I said, it's cool if some want to show up early... I just won't because to entertain as I will be shopping and doing setup.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

cakM3
01-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Nothing good happens after midnight Senior Chief!!!!

Well...at least in VA.

I hear you sir :) !

Ryans323i
01-19-2012, 05:01 PM
I understand y'all's point for leaving early and that's0 cool with me.
Still might try to set up a connection for the NE's traveling later. Definitely wont know accurate times until we get closer to the meet. Just something for us travelers to keep in mind.

az3579
01-19-2012, 05:29 PM

I-95 speed limits:
I go on 95 almost every day. I-95 from about where Branford is in CT, all the way south down through NYC, is all 55mph. Once you hit Jersey, the speed limit goes up to 65.

I must not be on 95 on the way down to VA because the speed limit in all of Maryland on the road(s) I take when I make that trip is 55mph (except New Haven, which is about 45mph). Am I missing a 65mph speed limit sign, perhaps? Don't know, but every time I see a sign that I remember, it's 55. In some parts, it's actually 45, which truly is ridiculous. The 45 zone is where I got "my picture taken" by a dummy empty police vehicle parked on the side of the road. Darned near scared the shizzle out of me the first time I went through there, and nearly had an accident from being so startled.

danewilson77
01-19-2012, 05:43 PM
If anyone needs my address for planning purposes....just PM me....

cakM3
01-19-2012, 06:23 PM
If anyone needs my address for planning purposes....just PM me....

Dane, PM'd :)

Mtnman
01-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Ill be there about 2pm, but u know me, ill be cooking all sorts of shite, so ill need prep time when im there. Hopefully ryan and I will be coming together, so ill put her and her fiance to work setting up and prepping.....I plan to surpass last years london broils and caprese salad with utter greatness.

Don't worry keith, london broils are still part of the menu.

Of course, as long as this is all ok with dane and la familia.....

Crap. Tapatalk. Thought this was the meet post. Will repost there too

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

cakM3
01-19-2012, 07:00 PM

Ryan,

I might be leaving just a few hours later....would love to have the guys in Mass/New Hampshire/Main area to come down as well...if they do then I will go with a later time to allow the rest to form up...would like to go down in a caravan since this is a special occasion :)

danewilson77
01-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Dane, PM'd :)

Replied.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

llll1l1ll
01-20-2012, 10:20 AM
For plannings sake, is everyone planning on getting a hotel or is this like we show up, eat some food, chit chat and whatnot, and then take back off?

jayjay_dee
01-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Dane, which hotel near you can you recommend?

danewilson77
01-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Dane, which hotel near you can you recommend?

Not many hotels by where I live. I would look at Holiday Inn on Richmond Rd.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Ryans323i
01-20-2012, 11:50 AM
I'll probably check in at the hotel, freshen up, and then head to Dane's for the rest of the evening.

For those of us not camping, I think it would be nice to stay at the same hotel. We can park the cars all together and not worry about door dings. Also we can arrange designated drivers easier since we'll all be going to the same place.

Personally, I'd like to be under $150/night. Other than that, it's where ever.

llll1l1ll
01-20-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm down with this, as I do not have any camping gear.

Mtnman
01-20-2012, 01:36 PM
So who's the dd? :shifty

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Hornung418
01-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Nose goes!

Ryans323i
01-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Not it!

az3579
01-20-2012, 01:56 PM
I would be Honored to be the designated driver. I don't drink any alcohol whatsoever, so no "oops" moments from me. You all can hold me to that; if you need a ride, you've got one here.

cakM3
01-20-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm looking at the Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg only because I have enough points to cover the weekend :)

iPhone 4 + TT

Whitexi
01-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Thats why it was nice to camp out at Dane's, drink and sleep in the car/ tent/..... yard etc.

Im going to actually leave at 6am Friday morning and that would put me there around 2-3. I would like to eat there this time and maybe ill run into someone on the hwy. Last time I was way behind because I had to return the stupid rental car and then wait forever at the dealer to pick up my car.

Ryans323i
01-21-2012, 05:54 AM
I would be Honored to be the designated driver. I don't drink any alcohol whatsoever, so no "oops" moments from me. You all can hold me to that; if you need a ride, you've got one here.

Great we can fit like 12 people in a ZHP right?

danewilson77
01-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Great we can fit like 12 people in a ZHP right?

BP makes Shuttle trips.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Ryans323i
01-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Eh, I wouldn't want him to have to do that. We'll figure something out.

Ryans323i
01-21-2012, 06:07 AM
I'm looking at the Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg only because I have enough points to cover the weekend :)

iPhone 4 + TT

Prices seem right. A quick google earth shows no speed bumps in the parking lot. If we could get Dane to do a drive by, check the entrance way, and make sure lowered cars are able to get in and out, I'd say Hilton Garden Inn it is!

Mtnman
01-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Ryan, you crack me up. Thorough beyond thorough. did you count parking spaces vs rooms too to see if we can all double park somewhere in the back? lol. 10 miles from danes. 15 mins. should work.

danewilson77
01-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Eh, I wouldn't want him to have to do that. We'll figure something out.

I will check it out.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
01-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Fwiw, I stayed here last year based on reviews.

It was very nice, clean, and plenty of parking.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g58313-d630455-Reviews-Holiday_Inn_Hotel_Suites_Williamsburg_Historic_Gat eway-Williamsburg_Virginia.html

Marcus-SanDiego
01-21-2012, 07:35 AM
And if you guys book your hotels, airfare, etc., through Expedia.com (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-4193730-10515020) (<------ using the link I just posted), the site gets a commission.

I'll be using Expedia for my travel stuff. The site got $20 in commissions for the C Withers Media Group San Francisco trip.

Ryans323i
01-21-2012, 08:21 AM
And if you guys book your hotels, airfare, etc., through Expedia.com (http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-4193730-10515020) (<------ using the link I just posted), the site gets a commission.

I'll be using Expedia for my travel stuff. The site got $20 in commissions for the C Withers Media Group San Francisco trip.

Will do.

cakM3
01-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Prices seem right. A quick google earth shows no speed bumps in the parking lot. If we could get Dane to do a drive by, check the entrance way, and make sure lowered cars are able to get in and out, I'd say Hilton Garden Inn it is!

Ryan,

I looked at the satellite photos and did not see any speed bumps. I'm sure Dane will confirm for everyone...:thumbsup

Newjack
01-21-2012, 12:00 PM
I will be leaving from the Kensington Maryland area, Exit 33 on the beltway (I-495). llll1l1ll we should meet up before we head out since we are so close.

jayjay_dee
01-21-2012, 07:42 PM

Great!!! I think it would be best if we could all stay in one hotel, group rate? lol...

Ryans323i
01-22-2012, 06:58 AM
I was thinking about a group rate as well, but then Marcus mentioned the Expedia link (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?229-List-of-Affiliate-Advertisers-at-ZHP-Mafia). I don't think you'd be able to book a group rate through Expedia. The rate already isn't bad though either, $103/night for 2 double beds and free wifi.

cakM3
01-22-2012, 07:48 AM
That is a good rate :thumbsup

Ryans323i
01-22-2012, 07:52 AM
I agree Charlie. And $$ for the Mafia > a few dollars off a night.

cakM3
01-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Just got my confirmation number from Hilton for my hotel stay at Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg for the 18th - 21st :)

I am going this time :biggrin

danewilson77
01-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Just got my confirmation number from Hilton for my hotel stay at Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg for the 18th - 21st :)

I am going this time :biggrin

Excellent.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

cakM3
01-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Dane,

PM sent :thumbsup

llll1l1ll
01-23-2012, 04:57 AM
I will be leaving from the Kensington Maryland area, Exit 33 on the beltway (I-495). llll1l1ll we should meet up before we head out since we are so close.

Sure. That exit is the one I use to get on the highway (when it's not rush hour).

Au2bahn
01-23-2012, 05:09 AM
Im in for this weekend. :-)

Ryans323i
01-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Great news!

Marcus-SanDiego
01-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Im in for this weekend. :-)

:like

GMATT
01-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Holiday Inn booked 2 nights............2 doubles.

cakM3
01-25-2012, 05:01 AM
Let the reservations begin :)

balticvid
01-25-2012, 06:50 AM
I'm a maybe. Coming from southern N.J.

postitpad
01-25-2012, 07:09 AM
I plan on heading down early Friday to try to get through NYC before rush hour gets crazy, I'm also hoping it'll get me into Williamsburg early enough to catch a nap before the festivities. Are people still thinking of tracking with google latitudes? That sounds like it would be awesome.

cakM3
01-25-2012, 01:06 PM
I downloaded Google Latitudes onto my iPhone. My group will also be heading down early to beat NYC morning rush hour. Planning to be on the Jersey Turnpike no later than 6am south of NYC...

Will also be equipped with portable communications...

danewilson77
01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
So...now...after you all have this......you need to make a "Caravan circle" so you can all track each others movements?

SureShot434
01-25-2012, 04:04 PM
I have Google Latitude now...how does one use it? lol

cakM3
01-25-2012, 06:24 PM
I have Google Latitude now...how does one use it? lol

check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OHZkPsYpXk&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OHZkPsYpXk&feature=related)

cakM3
02-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Bump!

I'm figuring its now 80 days and counting before we all start our yearly migration to Dane's for the annual Mafia reunion :)

danewilson77
02-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Bump!

I'm figuring its now 80 days and counting before we all start our yearly migration to Dane's for the annual Mafia reunion :)

80 day countdown. Win.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Chad44
02-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Sweet!

Sent from Tapatalk

Chad44
03-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Getting closer! I may end up meeting the caravan closer to VA... Summer school starts on Monday the 21st, so my wife and I may head south for a couple days of vacation before the meet instead of afterward.

Sent from Tapatalk

cakM3
03-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Won't be the same cruising all the way down Chad, but I can relate. Hope you guys will have an awesome vacation while BP and I are cruising down...:p

Chad44
04-01-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm hoping to still caravan down, but will firm things up as we get closer. I was looking at the trip and talking with my parents who travel frequently(motorhome) and they suggested driving down the Delmarva peninsula which would bring us around Baltimore and D.C. While offering a very nice view... Anyone interested in exploring the idea of taking that route? It is only about an hour longer than the other route... If nothing else, I'm going to take that route on the way home.

Sent from Tapatalk

R0B
04-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I live two minutes from the I-95/395/495 mixing bowl in Springfield Virginia. Can someone give me a call when y'all are about ten minutes from the mixing bowl so I can just hop on 95? ;)

Edit: Just read about the google latitude thing. I have an iphone so that would be perfect!

R0B
04-11-2012, 07:07 PM
I'll be merging on to I-95 near Springfield, VA as per google maps. Maybe I'll be able to catch you guys..

How about we meet up, and hunt down the caravan together? ;D

cakM3
04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Rob,

When are you planning to head out? Chad, BP, and I will be on the road already. We will be through NYC sometime around 5am or so....which places us on the Jersey Turnpike before 6am.......very rough time estimate...

M3TA5IN
04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Coming from York, pa through Baltimore if anybody wants to hook up.

R0B
04-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Rob,

When are you planning to head out? Chad, BP, and I will be on the road already. We will be through NYC sometime around 5am or so....which places us on the Jersey Turnpike before 6am.......very rough time estimate...

I don't mind heading out whenever, if someone could share their location via google latitude with me that would be perfect! :)

cakM3
04-12-2012, 03:09 PM
R0B, sent PM :thumbsup

R0B
04-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Responded to PM :D

cakM3
04-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Guys and Gals.....we are almost 1 month away from the epic event :thumbsup I will be working out details with Chad and BP on times we will meet up and head down. I'm figuring that we will most likely be doing the speed limit or go at least 5mph over but planning to "cruise" on down for the event. My current guess is that Chad and I will meet up with BP sometime around 5am or so and be on the New Jersey Turnpike around 6am. Everyone who is planning to meet up with our caravan can adjust their times accordingly. We won't be speeding so you can somewhat guess how long it will take us to get to where you are at so you can join in with us if you want.

One thing I will ask of you is no "hot-dogging" and crazy stuff while heading down. The more we have in the caravan, we will attract the attention of LEOs and I myself am not too interested in getting pulled over...so let's all plan to have a good time and be safe on the road as we all head on down to Dane's.

The good part is that we will be getting down in plenty of time to partake in the BBQ Dane will be having on that day :thumbsup

Use of walki-talkies are encouraged :)

M3TA5IN
04-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Are you coming down 95 pretty much the whole way? Trying to figure out where I could meet up with you guys. If rob is picking up Justin or if I need to we can do that then meet you guys north of Baltimore some where.

cakM3
04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Right now it looks like I will be connecting with everyone on the 18th. I will be in Manassas, VA starting the 14th and will be leaving there to meet up with everyone. Just got the formal word at work this morning...

M3TA5IN
04-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Ah ok, I'm trying to decide where I am going to be too. Work tentatively has me in chantilley, VA that week as well

Ryans323i
04-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Don't you and Dane be doing any pre-Fest partying! nono

Excellent grammar on my part, btw.

cakM3
04-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Ryan,

I will wait till you get there :) I will be detailing my ZHP so she's ready for your inspection when you get there....:biggrin

Ryans323i
04-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Inspection includes a test drive, hope she's got 5-point harnesses!

Nivo
04-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Who is going down from Mass/NH/RI/CT/VT/ME?
looking for solid time, day, meeting spot.

cakM3
04-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Inspection includes a test drive, hope she's got 5-point harnesses!

you got it :thumbsup no 5-point harnesses though .... not yet :)

at next year's meet I will be bringing the ///M instead...:cool

Newjack
04-25-2012, 08:04 AM
you got it :thumbsup no 5-point harnesses though .... not yet :)

at next year's meet I will be bringing the ///M instead...:cool

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/why+_77db360a7628c4e1da290be90478e164.jpg

Ryans323i
04-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Ohhh, I'm excited! I will assure I will not drive the car as if it needed 5 point harnesses.

cakM3
04-25-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm not worried Ryan :) I am hoping to have my Michelin Pilot Super Sports mounted in time for the meet :cool

Mtnman
04-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Ryan drove my zhp....she might not have needed a 5pointer, but I coulda used one! Lol.....j/k ryan kept it under control the whole time. Who cares about how fast she drives it as long as she's got it under control.....

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

cakM3
04-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Sounds like it will be a blast :thumbsup

Bring it Ryan! :)

Ryans323i
04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Ryan drove my zhp....she might not have needed a 5pointer, but I coulda used one! Lol.....j/k ryan kept it under control the whole time. Who cares about how fast she drives it as long as she's got it under control.....

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Don't listen to this guy. I didn't drive his ZHP fast at all. I got on it a few times, but he didn't even need the "oh sh*t" handle!

cakM3
04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
sounds like you are going to have lots of fun Ryan :biggrin I will tell you that its not the same driving our ZHPs when you have driven a ZHP with ESS TS2 :drool

You gotta see if Jon will allow you to test drive his TS2 :drool

Hornung418
04-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks for stepping up to the plate everyone! Much appreciated :thumbsup

I'm on the moon.

danewilson77
04-25-2012, 03:35 PM
sounds like you are going to have lots of fun Ryan :biggrin I will tell you that its not the same driving our ZHPs when you have driven a ZHP with ESS TS2 :drool

You gotta see if Jon will allow you to test drive his TS2 :drool

Let her drive the ///M:biggrin

Sent from SIGFest 2012

cakM3
04-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Let her drive the ///M:biggrin

Sent from SIGFest 2012

At next year's meet I will let you and her take the ///M out...:biggrin

Ryans323i
04-26-2012, 07:20 AM
We may never return. We'll meet Justin on the moon!

danewilson77
04-26-2012, 07:40 AM
We may never return. We'll meet Justin on the moon!

LMAO!

cakM3
04-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Exactly Dane...:)

Chad44
04-28-2012, 01:46 PM
I will officially be forgoing most of the caravan as well... The wife and I will be getting into Williamsburg early Thursday AM, and spending the time leading up to the festivities by exploring the area. I do believe that we may be going to Richmond on Friday and would likely meet the caravan as it passes through, as I would really like to join some part of a caravan!

cakM3
04-28-2012, 01:49 PM
You should Chad :)

jayjay_dee
05-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Only 9 days to go....

so, who got Google Latitude on their phones?

Should be fun to see where members are....

iZHP
05-09-2012, 05:07 PM
I just downloaded it but have never used it before.
Ever use Find Friends for iPhone?

I'm assuming this works with android as well.

GMATT
05-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Have it!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Whitexi
05-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Hello guys and gals, so I'm not sure as to who's going what and where at what time anymore. I actually may try and pull an all nighter. My gf was wanting to go sight seeing in the am on Friday so I thought it sounded good. We're grabbing an extra day at the hotel for early check in Friday morning. So if you see me running around I95 I've got my roof rack on can't miss it.

danewilson77
05-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Rack.....:drool

cakM3
05-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Only 9 days to go....

so, who got Google Latitude on their phones?

Should be fun to see where members are....

jayjay,

I have this on my iPhone but will be heading out from Manassas, VA instead of New England on Friday. I am planning to wait until BP (and anyone traveling with him) comes by where I am on I-495S. I will hook up with BP's group from there and drive on down...:) I also have my walki-talki so if you guys have yours let me know what channel you guys will be on so when I'm in range I can squawk out to you guys...:thumbsup

Newjack
05-10-2012, 04:46 PM
jayjay,

I have this on my iPhone but will be heading out from Manassas, VA instead of New England on Friday. I am planning to wait until BP (and anyone traveling with him) comes by where I am on I-495S. I will hook up with BP's group from there and drive on down...:) I also have my walki-talki so if you guys have yours let me know what channel you guys will be on so when I'm in range I can squawk out to you guys...:thumbsup

Let me know when you guys plan to be heading out. I'm right next to the connectivut avenue entrance to the beltway. (Don't remember which exit number it is) But I plan to just merge on in when you guys roll through. I have google latitude as well as walkie talkies.

cakM3
05-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Rob,

I'll text you when I leave Manassas

jayjay_dee
05-10-2012, 06:36 PM
to those who got Latitude, let me know your email address' so i can add you on my friend's list... lets go!!!

cakM3
05-10-2012, 06:39 PM
jayjay,

sent you PM :thumbsup

Nivo
05-11-2012, 06:34 AM
jayjay,

I think we will be with BP riding down too.

cakM3
05-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Okay guys! Any one of you going down with your walkie talkies tell me what channel you will be on? We are coming down to the wire here.....got to get organized so we are all ready :thumbsup

Nivo
05-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Okay guys! Any one of you going down with your walkie talkies tell me what channel you will be on? We are coming down to the wire here.....got to get organized so we are all ready :thumbsup
I will have to pick some up!

Still wondering who all else is heading down midnight from NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, VT?

cakM3
05-16-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm already down in Manassas, VA for business this week but will meet up with you guys when you are on the DC Beltway (I-495 South) when you get to the Front Royal exit (I-66 West). This is why I am asking to see if you guys will have your walki talki so I can check with you guys when you are in range. Having an estimate of when you should arrive will also help with the meet up. :thumbsup

Man!!! Can't believe in two days we will all be together for this epic meet :biggrin

R0B
05-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Which channel? lol, I say channel 2, sub-channel 3?

I would also like to know when to expect yall to be near the mixing bowl in Springfield, VA. I'll use latitude to watch where Charlie is :stalkermodengaged:

az3579
05-17-2012, 02:21 AM
I forgot to plug in my stupid communicators so I'll have to do that when I get home. No idea if they still work!

I guess we'll find out.

cakM3
05-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Which channel? lol, I say channel 2, sub-channel 3?

I would also like to know when to expect yall to be near the mixing bowl in Springfield, VA. I'll use latitude to watch where Charlie is :stalkermodengaged:

Channel 2, sub channel 3 it is :thumbsup

Rob,

It looks like early morning sometime around 6am if BP arrives to the DC area around 5 as he texted me.....all depends on how the traffic scheme is going on the beltway...

Newjack
05-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Channel 2, sub channel 3 it is :thumbsup

Rob,

It looks like early morning sometime around 6am if BP arrives to the DC area around 5 as he texted me.....all depends on how the traffic scheme is going on the beltway...

I didn't think it would be that early. Are you planning on just staying at the hotel for a while? I had originally thought you guys would be driving by around noonish or a little after.

cakM3
05-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Going to be a busy day...:thumbsup

Ryans323i
05-17-2012, 10:24 AM
To the East caravaners staying at the Hilton. Check in is at 3pm, and that's about the time me and the SE caravan will be arriving. Right now, that's just me and Chris (Hokie), although Jeff and Heather (Elric & wife) may join us if the timing is right. Chris isn't staying at the Hilton, so I'm not sure where he'll break off or if he'll follow me to the hotel.

My plans are to check in, clean the car up, clean myself up, and then head to Dane's ~4:30-4:45, hopefully with those staying at the Hilton.

I will be using Google latitude on my trip (Give you one guess as to my user name!), and my cell # is in the Member info thread if anyone need to communicated with me.

Everyone drive safe, take your time, and I'll see you tomorrow!

jayjay_dee
05-17-2012, 11:06 AM
I will be using Google latitude on my trip (Give you one guess as to my user name!).

Friend request sent...

kayger12
05-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Evening boys and girls. Just wanted to let all of the east coasters know that Mrs. Kayger and I will be going the coastal route down via the Cape May-Lewes Ferry.

Should anyone be traveling the coastal route, PM me and I'll give you my cell in case you run into trouble or need anything.

Safe travels everyone. Looking forward to seeing you all.

cakM3
05-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Safe travels to you and the Mrs....Keith :thumbsup Looking forward to tomorrow :)

kayger12
05-17-2012, 03:15 PM
^ Thanks, Charlie. Me too, buddy.

zhpnsnv
05-17-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm going down delaware via 1 and 13 to bridge tunnel. Will leave jackson nj 9am ish. Text me if you wanna meet up if it's possible.

kayger12
05-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Gonna be a bit ahead of you. Catching the 0730 ferry. I'll check in with you mid-morning.

zhpnsnv
05-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Roger that.

R0B
05-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Dang! 6am D: I gotta get to sleep! See ya'll in a few hours

cakM3
05-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Okay....its 4:30 got to get showered and then packed. Getting ready to head out in a bit so I can meet up with BP :)

R0B
05-18-2012, 01:56 AM
I just finished eating breakfast, should be ready by 6:20. Don't know whats up with google latitude.

Whitexi
05-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Weathers perfect, see everyone at 5.

cakM3
05-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Drive safe everyone!!! :thumbsup

cakM3
05-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Okay, just wanted to say that it was really nice to meet up with NIVO, BP, and Rob on the way down. It was kinda crazy trying to sync our times but we all ended up getting together and drove down (4 cars). Unfortunately, we were not able to meet up with R0B, who ended up meeting us at the hotel shortly afterwards. Would have been awesome if we could have been a much bigger pack but I was just as happy cruising with these guys/gals. It was a real pleasure and at one point everyone spit up on a 3-lane highway and we formed an "arrow" formation while driving down. When I saw everyone splitting into this formation I was like "ROCK ON!!!!!" it was an awesome sight seeing everyone go into formation. Really made for a very fun trip down. :thumbsup I can't wait till we all can get together again, hopefully this summer. Until then, I hope everyone will have an awesome spring/summer! :)

... until the next time ;)

Nivo
05-23-2012, 09:40 AM
It was awesome Charlie and my first true BMW event.

cakM3
05-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Nivo,

I've been to other BMW events but nothing that comes close to what I experienced over this past weekend. To me, this was so much more like a family event. It was awesome :thumbsup

Ryans323i
05-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Nivo,

I've been to other BMW events but nothing that comes close to what I experienced over this past weekend. To me, this was so much more like a family event. It was awesome :thumbsup

+1000

I really enjoy my BMWCCA meets, but they're nothing like this past weekend.

jayjay_dee
05-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Nivo,

+1000

I really enjoy my BMWCCA meets, but they're nothing like this past weekend.

+2000.... even my wife who doesnt really like cars had fun...

kayger12
05-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Exactly. Same with my wife.

I wish this was sent with a Galaxy S3

elric
05-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Same here .... it has been the only 'car' event that she gone with me, and plans to go again.

Ryans323i
05-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Well it is her ZHP! :biggrin

elric
05-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Well it is her ZHP! :biggrin

You funny lady!!!!! :rofl

cakM3
05-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Same here .... it has been the only 'car' event that she gone with me, and plans to go again.

That's okay Jeff...:) Next year you will see my ///M and have a reason to get another BMW.....possibly an ///M to accompany Heather's ZHP :biggrin

danewilson77
05-23-2012, 05:43 PM
You already said you like the ZHP moar than your ///M. Why should he not just get a low mileage, Alpine white, NB, sunroof delete ZHP? :)

elric
05-23-2012, 05:48 PM
You already said you like the ZHP moar than your ///M. Why should he not just get a low mileage, Alpine white, NB, sunroof delete ZHP? :)

Just call me 'Ahab'

Ryans323i
05-24-2012, 06:42 AM

Just call me 'Ahab'

:rofl!!!!