PDA

View Full Version : Dear Marcus,

az3579
12-28-2010, 06:37 AM
I was going to write in Dear Santa, but that wouldn't be appropriate anymore...

Currently, to view unread posts in a thread, you have to first click on the first page of a thread and then click "View Unread Posts". Is there any way to add a button for that on the thread listing instead of having to click an extra page just to view those posts? There is currently a button on the thread listing to view the last post, but nothing for the first unread post.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-28-2010, 07:04 AM
BP, the best solution is to use the "New Posts" feature at the top of the site. It opens up every unread thread for you.

I don't know of anything that will allow you to skip to your first unread post -- which might be in the middle of a thread. That would be a cool feature, though. Don't think that exists.

Clarify for me if I am misunderstanding you.

az3579
12-28-2010, 07:10 AM
BP, the best solution is to use the "New Posts" feature at the top of the site. It opens up every unread thread for you.

I don't know of anything that will allow you to skip to your first unread post -- which might be in the middle of a thread. That would be a cool feature, though. Don't think that exists.

Clarify for me if I am misunderstanding you.

Dayum. It's driving me nuts... thanks anyway though. :(

Marcus-SanDiego
12-28-2010, 07:16 AM
BP, that would be a great feature though. The problem is we scroll through threads. I imagine someone would have to create a save feature, so that your every move could be remembered. The problem with that, of course, is that you'd probably have to save every thread as you exited it.

Sorry, BP. You know how much I enjoy providing solutions for you guys. This one just doesn't look achievable.

az3579
12-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Only problem is for those of use that use laptops that don't have the handy "scroll" button in between the right- and left-click buttons on the touchpad/trackpoint. My home machine has it (ThinkPad) but my work one doesn't (Dell D-series). Right now, I'm sitting here at work bored because I'm waiting on others to get their job done so I could do mine, and browsing the net with this thing is proving troublesome without a scroll button. lol

Marcus-SanDiego
12-28-2010, 07:20 AM
BP, I am doing a little reading right now. I think I may have found something. Stay tuned.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Here are the three options we have:

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.

1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
---

We are currently using option three. Most users would prefer option three. But in your case you really want option two.

Tell you what. I'm going to do a little more reading. I want to see what downside exists for option two -- especially in light of option three being most usable for the group as a whole.

Will get back to you.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-28-2010, 07:59 AM
One downside if we decided to change over to option two:

Every thread on the site would be reset to unread. Of course, I could always have everyone hit the "mark forums read" button. That's one way around it. Still, that really works for someone like me, who has read every thread on the site.

Another problem with option two: forums will be marked as unread after you've made your own new post. That sucks. You then have to go back into the thread to get the thread marked as read. I've seen that on other sites. Now I know why. They must have had option two enabled.

BP, I have more research to do. I like your suggestion. And I know it exists. I simply need to keep doing more reading.

az3579
12-28-2010, 10:08 AM
This is not quite what I was talking about. I have no problem with the way the forums are marked as read. What I'm wondering is if there is a button that will take you to the first unread post (for a particular thread) straight from thread listing as opposed to having to click into the thread, then clicking on the 'view first unread post' option. A button just like the existing button that takes you to the last post in a thread (from the thread listing page), only it would show you the first unread post as opposed to the last one, having this button in addition to the one that's already there.

I would take a screenie and upload it to show you, but I can't access photobucket from here (at work)...

Marcus-SanDiego
12-28-2010, 10:11 AM
If I was to enable option two, you would see the button you're asking for. Because I have option three enabled, there is no "view first unread post" button visible to you.

az3579
12-28-2010, 10:23 AM
If I was to enable option two, you would see the button you're asking for. Because I have option three enabled, there is no "view first unread post" button visible to you.

Ah, I get it now. Darn, those are stupid downsides; I'm surprised that these options can't be customized further to eliminate these problems...

Marcus-SanDiego
12-28-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm continuing to do my homework on the issue, though. We'll see.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-28-2010, 01:01 PM
BP, can you point me to a site that employs the method you'd like? I'd like to see how it works -- without me being the guinea pig.

Thanks, sir.

pyreguy
12-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Please don't do option one. With kids, I often have to get up from the computer while I'm reading through two pages of new posting in all the threads. On other sites that use this, sometimes by the time I come back, everything is marked as read and I have to start over. Sometimes I miss out on threads because it was marked read before I read it and I probably didn't realize I needed to track it down to read. Just sayin...

Marcus-SanDiego
12-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Option one isn't even an option. That's a joke option -- for those operating a site on shoestring budget. It's crap.

az3579
12-29-2010, 04:57 AM
The CCA forums is one example. The button becomes available once there is a new post in a thread, and the button is a down arrow immediately to the left of the thread title. The problem with that forum, however, is that to make the board automatically think you read the subforum, (from the thread you're reading) you have to go back into the subforum first, and then click on the link for the forum listing. Here, you can click directly on the link for the forum listing and have that subforum marked as read (if you already read all the other threads in the subforum). It's really annoying on the CCA site.

az3579
12-29-2010, 04:58 AM
Holy crap Marcus, I JUST NOTICED IT'S THERE! We do actually have it, only it's a tiny little arrow I could barely see. Nevermind then, we do have that feature... lol

kayger12
12-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Holy crap Marcus, I JUST NOTICED IT'S THERE! We do actually have it, only it's a tiny little arrow I could barely see. Nevermind then, we do have that feature... lol

:rofl

I never noticed it either-- hiding right there in plain sight.

Good find, BP!

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 08:27 AM
LOL. Excellent. That means that our option, option three, is the most feature-rich option. It's the most server intensive, too, but that's no biggie. We've been running option three since launch. Our site is faster than ever these days.

By the way, where is this little arrow you're referring to?

kayger12
12-29-2010, 08:35 AM
LOL. Excellent. That means that our option, option three, is the most feature-rich option. It's the most server intensive, too, but that's no biggie. We've been running option three since launch. Our site is faster than ever these days.

By the way, where is this little arrow you're referring to?

If you go into a forum and look at a thread that has a new post in it, there will be a small blue circle with a downward pointing chevron inside of it immediately to the left of the thread title.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Thank you, sir.

Just saw one. Awesome. Love that.

Thanks, BP. You da man.

az3579
12-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Keith,
"Chevron". I NEVER would have guessed that to be the word to use to describe it. lol

kayger12
12-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Keith,
"Chevron". I NEVER would have guessed that to be the word to use to describe it. lol

Lol- it's in a lot of rank insignias, that's the only reason it popped into my head when I saw it.

danewilson77
12-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Hey Marky......down at the bottom, on our front page.....can you update the legend with the various chevrons and their piurpose?

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Hey Marky......down at the bottom, on our front page.....can you update the legend with the various chevrons and their piurpose?

Easier said than done, DW. I will try.

danewilson77
12-29-2010, 02:40 PM
I know....but you're pretty good....

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 05:17 PM
I know....but you're pretty good....

That's about as well as I can get it, DW. Take a look at the icon legend on home page now.

Now I need to move it to the appropriate icon legend, which should be on the thread page (bottom).

danewilson77
12-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Naa...that looks great. Now throw the sideways chevron on there....for last post.....

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Actually, they should not be on the home page. They should be down one level. See what happens when you go into a forum -- and you are in thread view. Go to bottom of page. Those are the appropriate icons because you're at the thread level.

At home page level, you should have the appropriate icons.

Take a look now at thread view level.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 05:33 PM
The sideways chevron, though, could go on the home page icon legend, since it's viewable on home page. It can also go on thread-level page, since it can be seen there as well.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 05:35 PM
I'll probably leave the sideways chevron out of the legend. Most people are familiar with that particular button. They know what it does. That "firstnew" button, though, is necessary. Therefore, I think my job is done.

Thanks for encouraging me to tackle it, DW. I had to dig around the various templates and then write HTML code for it. Fun, fun.

danewilson77
12-29-2010, 05:35 PM
I wasnt necessarily going for page appropriate legend.......just a legend to define some of the icons on the site. Lighten up bro....

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Nah, I just wanted to make sure that the icons were found on the appropriate page. If you're at thread level, and go down to icon legend, you'll find what you need for that page.

Not useful for icons to be seen on home page if there is no use for them there on the home page.

I am very light. Helium.

I need to get a smiley that depicts my even-keeled, light nature. I sure hope no one thinks I need to lighten up. I'd be floating away, broham!

danewilson77
12-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Helium...FTW!!!! Got it.....

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 05:59 PM
How's this one?

:chillin

pyreguy
12-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Is that a bloody mary? :biggrin

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Strawberry lemonade, Lance.

pyreguy
12-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Ahhh..

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 06:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/lemonade.jpg

az3579
12-29-2010, 06:39 PM
You sir, are making me VERY thirsty. :shifty

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 06:46 PM
That does look good. Dang you, BP. Now I am thirsty.

az3579
12-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Dang me? You're the one who posted it, dumdum. :biggrin

Marcus-SanDiego
12-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Yep. I wasn't giving it much thought, though. Then you said you were very thirsty. Made me consider whether I was, too. I was. I just had a glass a milk. All better now.

az3579
12-30-2010, 05:39 AM
Milk doesn't compare to a strawberry lemonade...

pyreguy
12-30-2010, 02:18 PM
or a bloody mary....