PDA

View Full Version : clutch bleeding

rikdee
01-18-2012, 05:34 AM
Anyone care to share their method?

Hermes
01-18-2012, 05:42 AM
You don't even want to hear my recent experience with the 2002...

danewilson77
01-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Same as bleeding brakes?

Depends on if you manually bleed or use a bleeder and where your tap in point to the system is. At any rate, bleed should occur from furthest bleed point to closest. Last time I did it... I had Walker Texas Ranger press on brake pedal.... While I bled rear right, rear left, front right, to front left. Bleed was accomplished at calipers.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
01-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Two person method:

1) One person in car, one person under car.

2) connect drain line to clutch bleeder (so you don't wear the fluid). Clear hose works best.

3) Have person in car pump clutch three times and hold clutch all the way down.

4) Loosen bleed screw and bleed until no bubbles appear.

5) Tighten bleed screw

6) Take foot off clutch.

7) Check/top off brake fluid

I repeated steps 3-6 a few times just to make sure I was good. Make sure you're not low on brake fluid-- sucking some air in from the top will ruin your day.

You'll need a thin, long 6mm wrench to get to the bleed screw. It's kind of a pita as there's not a lot of room to work.

MrMaico
01-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Anyone care to share their method?

Are you doing a fluid flush or just bleeding after a CDV delete? When I did my CDV delete I just did a gravity bleed. Hook a hose up to it so it doesn't make a mess and just open the valve a bit so there is fluid dripping. I can't remember how long I left it open but just use your own judgement till you think it's good and close the valve. Worked great, clutch felt fine. Since then I've gotten a vacuum bleeder and did a fluid flush with that last fall.

llll1l1ll
01-27-2012, 04:32 AM
Out of pure curiosity, would a pressure bleeder used for the brakes also take care of bleeding out the clutch system, as well?

MrMaico
01-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Out of pure curiosity, would a pressure bleeder used for the brakes also take care of bleeding out the clutch system, as well?

Sure, same thing except you're bleeding a clutch slave cylinder rather than a wheel slave cylinder.

llll1l1ll
01-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Gotchya.

Luigi
09-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Hello. I have a Motive Power Bleeder and it's a great tool -- $60 or so and worth it. I bleed the brakes first -- rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver, as Dane detailed -- then bleed the clutch. I don't find it as difficult as others might to get my box end wrench and water bottle and drain hose up in there.

1. Remove the plastic cover from the bleed nipple.

2. Place 12 point box end wrench on bleed nipple. (7 mm I believe; brake bleed nipples take 9 mm)

3. Push clear drain hose onto bleed nipple (a drain hose was included with my power bleeder). Insert other end of drain hose into water bottle. I leave the plastic cap on the water bottle and poke a hole in the cap no larger than the diameter of the drain hose so that when you insert the drain hose into the cap you get a tight fit. You’ll know you’ve done it right if your drain hose/water bottle setup dangles from the bleed nipple and the cap/water bottle doesn’t slide off the drain hose.

4. Open bleed nipple no more than half a turn and tighten once no bubbles appear and the new fluid begins to flow into your water bottle.

It's really satisfying to bleed your brakes and clutch and you'll notice the improvement within a minute of your test drive.

echo46
09-14-2012, 03:36 AM
+ 1. Not difficult.

mcaden
09-27-2012, 10:07 AM
You should always bleed the clutch whenever you are bleeding the brakes. Same method - made easier with a motive bleeder. It will take you only a minute or two longer to do the clutch. BMW recommends doing your brake fluid every two years.