PDA

View Full Version : Complete Cooling System Overhaul (Request Chicago area assistance)

acontzhp
01-18-2012, 03:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone in the Chicago area has experience doing the the cooling system overhaul and if they'd have time available in the near future to help a fellow member out. I've gone through plenty of DIY threads and i feel sort of confident i can do it myself but not enough, i'd rather have someone there that's done it before to assist so it can be done in a timely manner and in case something doesn't go according to plan. If any fellow member can help i will accommodate to your location,schedule and i will provide any and all food and beverage your heart may desire.

Thanks

ryankokesh
01-18-2012, 07:11 PM
I'd be willing to help, but in the interest of full disclosure I've never done a cooling system overhaul. Had mine done back in my pre-diy days by my indy...

So not sure how beneficial I'd be :)

BCS_ZHP
01-18-2012, 08:07 PM
I had never done one before this weekend either, but with Smolck's step by step directions and photos, Dane's belt diagram, and lots of encouragement from the family, I did it this past weekend. 5-1/2 hours total time, taking my time and double and triple checking the steps, plus trips inside to thaw out. Mine included new radiator, water pump, thermostat housing and thermostat, expansion tank, upper and lower radiator hose, expansion tank toheater hose. My belts were only 4 months old, so reused those. The one part I needed, and was not included in my kit which I will stress you need, a new coolant temp sensor. It fits into the lower radiator hose and has an o-ring which shrinks over time, the cost is minor so replace it and save yourself another trip to get the part.

You can do it, the family will support you. The final deciding factor for me - one Indy said 10 hrs of labor @ $85/hr and another said 6 hrs @ $110/hr - the family's encouragement saved me more than enough to buy my new brakes and some other parts.

BustedBoat
01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
How much did you spend on parts?

UdubBadger
01-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Hey boys, I need to do mine too, ordering parts this weekend for it from my buddy Evan from GetBMWparts.com. I'm taking my car to A&L in Palatine (IND Distribution) where I'm friends w/ the owner. He's all about BMW's and is VERY good to locals. Let me know if you guys want in, I can probably get you a small discount on the service and anything else you might need. Even if you don't want it, feel free to come by and ask him about the process for a DIY job.

acontzhp
01-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Hey boys, I need to do mine too, ordering parts this weekend for it from my buddy Evan from GetBMWparts.com. I'm taking my car to A&L in Palatine (IND Distribution) where I'm friends w/ the owner. He's all about BMW's and is VERY good to locals. Let me know if you guys want in, I can probably get you a small discount on the service and anything else you might need. Even if you don't want it, feel free to come by and ask him about the process for a DIY job.

Badger could you pm me a quote for the parts? I'm definitely interested

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

acontzhp
01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
I'd be willing to help, but in the interest of full disclosure I've never done a cooling system overhaul. Had mine done back in my pre-diy days by my indy...

So not sure how beneficial I'd be :)

Thanks man. Two heads are better than one. I'll take all the help I can get

BCS_ZHP
01-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Parts from Bimmerworld, the kit was $560 (andincluded the radiator ECS's doesn't include radiator for stage 2). The coolant temp sensor was another $25 from the dealer. Deliver was next day for the radiator And 2 day for the remainder of parts.

acontzhp
01-18-2012, 08:47 PM
I had never done one before this weekend either, but with Smolck's step by step directions and photos, Dane's belt diagram, and lots of encouragement from the family, I did it this past weekend. 5-1/2 hours total time, taking my time and double and triple checking the steps, plus trips inside to thaw out. Mine included new radiator, water pump, thermostat housing and thermostat, expansion tank, upper and lower radiator hose, expansion tank toheater hose. My belts were only 4 months old, so reused those. The one part I needed, and was not included in my kit which I will stress you need, a new coolant temp sensor. It fits into the lower radiator hose and has an o-ring which shrinks over time, the cost is minor so replace it and save yourself another trip to get the part.

You can do it, the family will support you. The final deciding factor for me - one Indy said 10 hrs of labor @ $85/hr and another said 6 hrs @ $110/hr - the family's encouragement saved me more than enough to buy my new brakes and some other parts.

Thanks for the tips. Your experience ref Takes the edge off. I'm gonna get all the parts together and get on it

UdubBadger
01-18-2012, 09:13 PM
here, don't mind going public with it:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=774527&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462

sounds like maybe it's missing a few items?

acontzhp
01-18-2012, 09:41 PM
here, don't mind going public with it:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=774527&siteid =214672&catalogid=4462

sounds like maybe it's missing a few items?

Yes, that coolant temp sensor for one. And the radiator

UdubBadger
01-18-2012, 09:51 PM
got part #'s by any chance?

acontzhp
01-18-2012, 10:07 PM
got part #'s by any chance?

No sir. Not at the moment

UdubBadger
01-18-2012, 10:39 PM
k if you find them I can give them to my guy for a price

static667
01-19-2012, 03:42 AM
I'm fairly experienced when it comes to mechanic work. The BMW system is one of the easiest to work on. It took me about three hours to do mine and I was taking my time with it.

UdubBadger
01-19-2012, 06:41 AM
good to know thanks

danewilson77
01-19-2012, 07:28 AM
I got the Behr radiator. Is that what your after?

P/N for radiator = 17119071518

P/N for temp sensor = 13621433077

aurelius
01-19-2012, 07:48 AM
As implied above, ECS Tuning is a really good resource for the parts and the part numbers. Their kits are HERE (http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Engine/Cooling/), most of which are shipped free. To see individual cooling system parts (with part numbers), scroll all the way down and click "next page."

If you know your car has had nothing done in the way of cooling system rehab plus belts & pulleys AND has over 90k miles, go with the Level 3 kit.

Pay attn to transmission type and build date of your car when choosing kits and or buying individual parts. For example, on E46 with automatic transmission, the fan clutch and transmission coolant temp sensor add significantly to cost of parts.

UdubBadger
01-19-2012, 08:54 AM
thanks, trying to get my discount with BMW though so I don't want to buy from ECS if I don't have to. the BMW kit doesn't have all of those components though.

hmmmmm...

BCS_ZHP
01-19-2012, 10:12 AM
And you want to consider upgrading to the Stewart water pump with it's metal vs plastic/composite impeller. Someone in the family used the OEM water pump and had to replace it a year later. The water pump upgrade was another $100-150, the radiator should be in that same price range.

acontzhp
01-19-2012, 10:41 AM
hmmmm the cost went up quite a bit from what i was anticipating if i go with a stage 3 kit $1060 almost 3 times as much . my car is approaching 90k and i don't know much about the maintenance history prior to my acquisition of the car. i suppose its probably best i spend the a little more money now than a lot more in a long run for some repair i might not be able to do myself

UdubBadger
01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
how did you get $1060?

UdubBadger
01-19-2012, 10:44 AM
nevermind, you probably have an AT

acontzhp
01-19-2012, 10:44 AM
correct

UdubBadger
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
hmmmm ok well maybe I'll make a checklist and see what I need to order individually from ECS

Crickett
01-19-2012, 12:58 PM
hmmmm ok well maybe I'll make a checklist and see what I need to order individually from ECS

Check TheBMWPartStore.com; their prices were surprisingly lower than most other dealers'. I split my order between them & TMS.

UdubBadger
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
i get a solid discount elsewhere so I'll stick with them but thanks. Just need the stuff BMW doesn't sell in their kit.

aurelius
01-20-2012, 08:58 AM
And you want to consider upgrading to the Stewart water pump with it's metal vs plastic/composite impeller. Someone in the family used the OEM water pump and had to replace it a year later. The water pump upgrade was another $100-150.....

I was all about the Stewart water pump until I started seeing they're failing frequently (or at least leak). IIRC, a member here is on his 3rd. Plus, the lowest price I've seen for that is $160, and that's only if you qualify and register for BMP Design's BMWCCA discount.

Plenty of after market pumps have metal impellers. According to my mechanic, the Geba brand pump is preferred and that is what ECS includes in their kits.

aurelius
01-20-2012, 09:01 AM
hmmmm the cost went up quite a bit from what i was anticipating if i go with a stage 3 kit $1060 almost 3 times as much...

Consider their after market parts kit for your car. If I'm looking at the right info, it's $350 less and uses high quality OEM parts.

kayger12
01-20-2012, 09:24 AM
I was all about the Stewart water pump until I started seeing they're failing frequently (or at least leak). IIRC, a member here is on his 3rd. Plus, the lowest price I've seen for that is $160, and that's only if you qualify and register for BMP Design's BMWCCA discount.

Plenty of after market pumps have metal impellers. According to my mechanic, the Geba brand pump is preferred and that is what ECS includes in their kits.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on the Stewart. Maybe in another 60K when I'm ready for the next one.
I went with the Saleri with the composite impeller.

acontzhp
01-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Consider their after market parts kit for your car. If I'm looking at the right info, it's $350 less and uses high quality OEM parts.

I'll consider it thanks.

Kudos
01-20-2012, 06:18 PM
you need help i'm game. right now it's pretty cold out, but i've done it myself on the e36 and process is exactly the same on the e46. from A&L autobody in palatine i was quoted like 5 hours and came out at around 250 for the job, so it wasn't so bad. i just don't have the space to do it myself. let me know if you need some help.

acontzhp
01-20-2012, 07:45 PM
you need help i'm game. right now it's pretty cold out, but i've done it myself on the e36 and process is exactly the same on the e46. from A&L autobody in palatine i was quoted like 5 hours and came out at around 250 for the job, so it wasn't so bad. i just don't have the space to do it myself. let me know if you need some help.

Thanks man. Well it pretty cold out right now. I would really appreciate the help. I have the room and can get the garage heated if necessary but I know I'm pretty far from many of you as I'm located in Joliet. As I said before I will accommodate the best I can to others location and schedule

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
01-20-2012, 08:06 PM
If I knew what I was doing I'd help but Anthony is my crutch.

Kudos
01-20-2012, 08:07 PM
when you get the parts let me know, we can probably get it done within a few hours in an afternoon on the weekend. just make sure you have all the parts, i have most of the tools except the large clutch removal tool. i think it's a 32 mm wrench.

acontzhp
01-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Sweet. Thanks. You two have been very helpful. If you guys ever need anything welded or anything minor fabricated I'm your guy.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
01-20-2012, 10:08 PM
nice

Kudos
01-21-2012, 10:10 PM
oh wow, speak of the devil, i do have some welding work to be done. i'll pm you.

acontzhp
01-21-2012, 10:40 PM
I'll be glad to help

acontzhp
01-26-2012, 09:46 AM
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/catalog/item/4237238/9170244.htm

just bought it. price is good and includes everything i can think of

acontzhp
01-30-2012, 09:52 PM
I think my new expansion tank is defective. I have no where to put the blue drain plug back in. I know this sounds wired but everything is lined up correctly and attached. When i look into the whole where the blue plug goes, there is already molded plastic in the hole. I poured about half a gallon of coolant in the expansion tank and there was no leak at the bottom. Wtf? Now I'm, at work searching the web and wondering what's going on. I managed to a stage 3 cooling system on my own and then I run into this issue at the end when everything has been replaced and ready to go. All I had left was adding coolant and bleeding. I couldn't figure it out and time dan out I had to come to work.

I found a few people on other forums complaining that they had no blue plug under their expansion tank that was ready installed on their car and were not able to drain it. I suppose I probably got one of these tanks.

Anyone ever hear of this?

danewilson77
01-31-2012, 04:25 AM
ing at the two pictures below..where are you trying to put the drain plug?

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/IMAG1057.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/IMAG1049.jpg

acontzhp
01-31-2012, 10:05 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/4257648b-2daa-45f0.jpgThis plug doesn't fit anymore. The hole at the bottom seams permanently sealed on the new expansion tank.

acontzhp
01-31-2012, 10:15 AM
This is a picture of the new tank already installed. As you can see the drain hole on the bottom is sealed

danewilson77
01-31-2012, 10:47 AM
That hole is on bottom of radiator? Not tank.

acontzhp
01-31-2012, 12:14 PM
That hole is on bottom of radiator? Not tank.

Oops my bad. I Feel dumb. Would know why it's like that? Did I miss something?

danewilson77
01-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Oops my bad. I Feel dumb. Would know why it's like that? Did I miss something?

It's probably just there after the manufacturing process. Had I not just replaced my radiator (and tried to put a drain plug in that spot), I would have had no idea what you were talking about. :)

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

acontzhp
01-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the replies dane. Everything seems to be running fine. No leaks that I can see..... But now I have code p2185 it came on after the cooling overhaul. I think it's the thermostat on the lower radiator hose.

danewilson77
01-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the replies dane. Everything seems to be running fine. No leaks that I can see..... But now I have code p2185 it came on after the cooling overhaul. I think it's the thermostat on the lower radiator hose.

Temp sensor? You didn't replace that? It's plugged in, right?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

acontzhp
01-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Yes I bought and replaced sensors as well. I just unplugged all the connectors then reconnected them and drove around for a bit. Code cleared on its own. One must have been loose.

danewilson77
01-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Sweet. Win. Well done.