PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Review

Stu
01-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Because I haven't seen many reviews of this online, I thought I'd give my experiences with it. So far, I've put about 87 miles on the tire. Not a lot, but enough for me to talk about how they are. This is coming from the viewpoint of your average driver, occasionally I'll take the off-ramp fast but that's about it. If you're looking for a spirited review, Car and Driver has you covered. (http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/bridgestone-potenza-re760-sport-page-8) Though, I feel like they were way too demanding of all the tires in their review and got a bit too nit-picky.

I used to have some RE040 RFTs on my car. The fronts were fine, the rears were shot. They handled very well, and response was sharp and direct. But they were loud and really harsh. If you've ever wanted to feel every single tiny bump in the road, then get the RE040s. Something about them just seemed like they were simply not designed for the E46. I did not feel very confident with them in the rain, even last year when the rears still had some life on them. In fact, I hadn't been driving with them in the rain period for about a month or so while I was saving for tires.

I ditched those and put on the RE760s, and what a world of difference. Dead-silent. I cannot hear any tread noise whatsoever. Even going through a puddle, I could not hear the splash. That is how good they are. When driving, the bumps are significantly less harsh, and the ride is extremely smooth. I have not noticed much difference in steering response, if any at all. Full confidence in wet weather driving, too. Big, wide tread design keeps the water out and away, and semi-slick shoulder blocks really help with the handling.

The sidewall is not as aggressive looking as the RE040s, but they still look great. One of the biggest things I noticed is just how smooth it is. The second I drove down the road, I was brought right back to my dad's old E60. I remembered how smooth it was, even with runflats (because the car was designed for them). Driving at 50 mph felt like driving at 35 mph. I got that exact same feeling in my ZHP, which has much harder suspension than my dad's non-sport comfort-built 5-series. As I drove down the road, I felt like I was going a lot slower than I really was. I felt like I was finally driving my car in the way that it was designed to be driven. I said to myself, "Huh. So THIS is what a BMW supposed to feel like!"

Moral of the story: don't get RFTs. You have a spare in the trunk anyway. Our cars' suspension was simply not designed for them, and your ride quality will suffer greatly as a result. They are safer, but with a spare already, why bother?

So, if you are looking for a safe summer tire with a treadwear rating of 340, superb handling, excellent hydroplaning resistance, unbelievably smooth ride, and at a relatively affordable price, this is it. I feel like I'm driving on $1500 tires for half the price. I'd expect this quality from my ultra-expensive RE040s, not from the 760s!

danewilson77
01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the excellent writeup Zell.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
01-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Good read. Thanks for the info.

CERF04ZHP
01-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Nice write-up, thanks... I have been researching on Tire Rack of what to replace my tires with next year, and these were in the top 5... Maybe now top 3... ;)

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

derbo
01-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Nice writeup!

I went through these tires and I must say they are pretty good for the price!

The tires seem to take bumps much better than my michelin pilot sports. They feel less harsh and the bumps feel softer. They handle in the rain quite well! The road noise is very minimal with these tires. After about half the tread is gone, the road noise started to get a little louder upon braking.

I must have gotten about 20K miles on the rears before they started to reach the wear bar. I got rid of all 4 RE760s for Michelin Pilot Sports due to getting them for a steal. When these pilots are over, the RE760 is definitely a major contender for a all around daily tire. The price is definitely right and it will be a major debate against the Michelin Pilot Super Sports....

quikryptonite
03-11-2012, 06:57 PM
I've got these on my car from April - November. I really like them. For the price, they perform very well and also provide a comfortable ride. I would never buy them if I was going to track my car though, even for an autocross. You'd want to get something that sticks to the road a little bit better. I haven't had to deal with too much rain, so I can't speak to how they perform on really wet roads.

They are definitely in the running of my top three replacements when my current set needs to be replaced.

jayjay_dee
03-15-2012, 06:25 PM
thanks for your review Zell...

looks like I will be ordering 2 rears of Potenza RE760... reviews are good and they are priced well...

i read an article on Roundel, Getting Tired by Satch, and he reviewed his cross country trip on RE11 and i was sold...
but after spending more time comparing RE760 and RE11, i have to stick with RE760 (which is what i currently have on my ZHP)...

when i need a complete set, then maybe ill try RE11s as my next set...

zhp43867
03-15-2012, 07:33 PM
I also have had them on my zhp. They handle rain well in general while moving (no hydroplaning problems), but they are not very good at hooking up. Taking off from a stop in wet weather and on gravel is where they kick the DSC on and definitely leave a little to be desired. I do find that they are comfortable and quiet, and have very respectable grip. They are very similar to the Continental DW overall, with (subjectively) worse wet grip, approximately the same dry grip give or take, and a little bit better steering feel.

They don't really like to be pushed though, dry or wet, and if you drive very aggressively I'd recommend you buy something more along the lines of Bridgestone S-04s or Pilot Super Sports.

JohnnyGraphic
03-17-2012, 07:49 AM
The OEM tires I had were RE040's, but not run flats. RFT's are horrible, but they're getting better-lighter and more compliant and responsive. I never liked those RE040's. Stepped up to PS2's as soon as I could. Probably the best overall tire I've had on my ZHP since I got it.

I had the RE760's on my rears and put about 20k miles before they were getting down to the wear bars. I had Yokohama S-Drives on the front which lasted a REAL long time! About 43k miles on those. Not a fan of those though of the Yokohama's-greasy and not very confidence inspiring. The RE760's were suggested to me by the guy at Wheel Works. They were (relatively) inexpensive, gripped decently well and were quiet. All around, no complaints and I was pretty happy with the mileage I got from them. The DSC did kick on fairly easily and as long as I didn't push it too hard, they were o.k. Nice and comfortable too.

I just purchased a set of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports-All 4 corners for an All 4 Corners price!! OUCH! Anyway's, so far they have been very good. They are a bit more twitchy on the freeways, but they handle wet weather fairly well. Even with the heavy rains the Bay Area recently received (No California), not horrible when you hit standing water. Not great either. Overall grip is VERY good in the dry. If you have smooth pavement, these tires excel. I wouldn't suggest them if you drive a lot of rutted/rough freeways though as it takes a bit more concentration. I don't track my car so, I know it's like a waste of great tires, but I've never been let down by Michelin's and these got great reviews in the mags I've seen.

Next time around, I may head back to PS2's or not. I need a little more time with my Pilot Super Sports. I only have 3k miles and mostly commuting, not much aggressive driving. They are both priced in the same ball park. Or, maybe the RE760's at all 4 corners since I only had them on the rears. Who knows??? It will probably depend on my wallet situation at the time. :)

Johnny