PDA

View Full Version : Angel Eyez - Aurora?

SoarinZHP
02-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Hello Everyone - Does anyone have the Aurora angel eyes? I've been looking at the Auroras, Umnitza and Weisslicht.

I read a lot of people stating the Umnitzas are too bright at night - and they do have this night controller to tone them down. If you add the cost of the controller in, the price surpasses that of the Auroras.

Weisslicht - I don't know... Doesn't do anything for me.

I've seen photos of the Auroras and the circle seems crisp and sharp. I haven't read any complaints about the Auroras being too bright. The install seems straightforward - and I'm sure they didn't invent or improve upon the wheel.

I figure since I'm doing an E90 projector retrofit, I'm gonna do AE at the same time to some bad-assery to a not-special motor driving vehicle.

Thx - Kris

Whatya thin

L0veZHP
02-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I've bought the Aurora but I have yet to install them.. I'd read a lot of reviews around other e46 forums and heard they were the best! so I bought them.. I won't be able to tell you anything about them until I install them next saturday. The material they are made out of are rock solid and looks like they are worth what you paid.

L0veZHP
02-13-2012, 06:15 PM
I installed the Auoras ima going to have Good pictures up soon! DEFF GET THEM!

SoarinZHP
02-21-2012, 01:29 PM
I skipped the E90 projector retrofit - my bowls weren't burned and once I had the headlight apart, I was intimidated by the modifications to the chrome shroud holding the lens on the headlight housing....

At any rate, I installed the Aurora angel eyes. I think it came out well!

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa475/mrkrisb/417648_10150581086968601_675143600_9173892_1039023 459_n.jpg

M0nk3y
02-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Your rings look off on the projectors.

SoarinZHP
02-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Hmmm. They look fine when they aren't on?!?!

M0nk3y
02-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Could possibly be the angle, but it looks like the clips are off when you auto-level.

SoarinZHP
02-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Well Sheeeit. One of the angel eyes came unclipped. WTF? Is this a natural phenomenon? And I have to take it apart to fix it? SUCKS.

M0nk3y
02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
You have to check clearance with your housing and the AE's. It happens sometimes, yes.

When I installed them on a E46 M3, it did it. Taking apart the headlight is the only way to solve it. Once you get use to it, it doesn't take too long to get it apart

SoarinZHP
02-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Can it be corrected without removing the headlight from the car?

M0nk3y
02-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Can it be corrected without removing the headlight from the car?

Of course. You just need to take the headlight apart.

Take your corners out, then pop off the lower red headlight trim.

After that, you will be able to take the lens off and access your AEs

SoarinZHP
02-21-2012, 06:48 PM
^^^ THANKS!!!

I would have taken the entire thing apart AGAIN... Is there a particular way they need to be set in relation to clear the housing? The instructions sent by EAS were horrible as far as visuals....

M0nk3y
02-21-2012, 07:51 PM
^^^ THANKS!!!

I would have taken the entire thing apart AGAIN... Is there a particular way they need to be set in relation to clear the housing? The instructions sent by EAS were horrible as far as visuals....

It's a guess and check.

I'd mount the rings to where you think they'll be find, then get in the car and turn on your lights (so they auto-level).

Go back out, check them again and make sure they didn't change. If it looks good, then re-assemble the headlight.

danewilson77
02-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Just make sure the clips are pushed all the way on.

SoarinZHP
02-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Geez. I thought this would be easy. I took apart the headlight in question and the auto-leveller mechanism was causing the clip to bind against the black trim piece behind the lens for the high beam halogen light. WTF? It doesn't fit any other way to gain clearance... Or I'm just not seeing what to do differently. Sooo... I just took off the angel eye for the halogen light, unplugged the high beam one on the other side (so they'd match) and just sent an email to EAS requesting new clips and guidance.

The auroras look spectacular when they're on. I never thought this would be so difficult. They're plastic rings clipped on lights. Boo. =<

Anyone else had these kinds of problems?

Thanks - Kris

M0nk3y
02-22-2012, 07:13 PM
In your sig, it looks like your High Beams are perfect.

The low-beams (projectors) look off.

Rock Nova
02-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Why not just disconnect the auto leveling? IMO it isn't a very useful feature and I have had nothing but problems out of mine anyway - which may be why I am so quick to recommend pulling the plug on them.

M0nk3y
02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Why not just disconnect the auto leveling? IMO it isn't a very useful feature and I have had nothing but problems out of mine anyway - which may be why I am so quick to recommend pulling the plug on them.

Sometimes auto-leveling is required by law to pass inspection. I'd be careful about doing that.

SoarinZHP
02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
I called EAS and explained the 411 to them. They are sending me new clips and have also asked I send pictures. I told them I am NOT taking the light apart until I am going to reinstall the ring - it's becoming a drag.

Which plug is for the auto-leveler? Is it required for inspection? My wife's (ahem) minivan has xenons but with a manual leveling system. It may as well not have one because no one uses it...

Rock Nova
02-24-2012, 05:53 AM
Sometimes auto-leveling is required by law to pass inspection. I'd be careful about doing that.

It must differ by location because it is of no concern here in TN. (We only have to pass emissions in my county) Besides 90-95% of cars on the road do not have any kind of auto leveling anyway.

Which plug is for the auto-leveler? Is it required for inspection? My wife's (ahem) minivan has xenons but with a manual leveling system. It may as well not have one because no one uses it...

It is the smaller plug between the high and low beams. The passenger side is easier to get to. The driver side is still easy, it just takes a little more work because of the airbox gets in your way a little.

RVAzhp
02-24-2012, 07:48 AM
where did you guys get the aurora and price?

SoarinZHP
02-24-2012, 08:00 AM
I only know of one place to get the Aurora angel eye - EAS. They are 200.00

Here (http://www.europeanautosource.com/product/eas-aurora-60led-angel-eye-kit-e46-3-series-m3)

I think they're expensive and I think they have a crisp clean tight look....

RVAzhp
02-24-2012, 08:49 AM
i like how they look, a lot. good choice.

SoarinZHP
02-24-2012, 03:46 PM
I did a TON of research online... It was either the Aurora's or the Umnitza Predator Orion. For me, the Umnitza's were too bright and hazy looking - they do have a night feature you can purchase on top of the regular predators. The predators with the opaque feature might look more like the auroras. I do think the Umnitza's have better clips. However, if you add all these other features to the Predators, they end up costing more than the Auroras.'

What I've discovered (like everything else) is that there is a trade-off. I went for looks of the auroras. Funny thing is, I put these on my car and I can't see them. It's more for everyone else to see something 'not-special' as I cruze on by.

GreenFrog
03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I have the auroras too and the fitment sucks on these. The clips don't stay on permanently and don't clip tightly. Also, there are severe fitment issues where after installing the AEs, you can't fit the black bezel piece back into the headlights because the AEs block the clearance where the bezel clips clip in.

I ended up sticking double-sided tape that you use to mount posters on walls to keep them in place. It's a very ghetto solution and I've noticed that they're falling loose again.

I also have the Umnitza opaques but haven't gotten around to installing them just yet.

It's a shame because the auroras have a very OEM look, whereas the umnitzas have a blueish tint that make them look very aftermarket and kind of cheap, to be honest. I guess that's why I haven't motivated myself to install the umnitzas.

johnrando
03-06-2012, 07:41 AM
My Umnitza's 4300K are a more pure white and I like them a lot. The 6000K have a blueish tint... I like that too on certain colored cars, but I like the white better. PS They look yellow-ish in the sig, but they are more white.

GreenFrog
03-06-2012, 06:37 PM
My Umnitza's 4300K are a more pure white and I like them a lot. The 6000K have a blueish tint... I like that too on certain colored cars, but I like the white better. PS They look yellow-ish in the sig, but they are more white.

Yeah. I agree. I have the umnitza opaques, though, and those only come in 6000K. I don't understand why they won't offer it in 4300K. The only difference is the plastic housing material, I presume.

SoarinZHP
03-10-2012, 03:38 PM
I have the auroras too and the fitment sucks on these. The clips don't stay on permanently and don't clip tightly. Also, there are severe fitment issues where after installing the AEs, you can't fit the black bezel piece back into the headlights because the AEs block the clearance where the bezel clips clip in.

I gotta say the fitment is absolute bullshit and the look as fantastic. I ended up cutting part of the black bezel to get them to fit. I didn't see any need for the one part to be there. It is now gone and everything works perfectly. Blasphemy.

GreenFrog
03-14-2012, 09:24 PM
I gotta say the fitment is absolute bullshit and the look as fantastic. I ended up cutting part of the black bezel to get them to fit. I didn't see any need for the one part to be there. It is now gone and everything works perfectly. Blasphemy.

Yeah.. I mean, I can't believe they could release a product with such fitment issues. It won't fit a SINGLE facelift model. It's a shame because it's probably the best AE brand in terms of looks.

Meric
03-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Not sure about other products but my friend bought his from eBay. They are LEDs Same size for projector. They look nice to be honest. They are bright and colour is pure white.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3311/img1197k.jpg

tripod06
03-23-2012, 09:34 AM
i love those ^^^ they look really good in the picture!