PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Cloth Seats

az3579
02-05-2012, 02:37 PM
I know a while ago someone posted a tutorial on how to clean the alcantara steering wheel on the models so equipped (I have leather steering wheel). I believe the consensus was that Mr. Clean Magic Erasure was best on the alcantara. But, what about the cloth?

My cloth/alcantara seats are showing dirty regions on the bolsters and the main center cloth section. I just noticed, and want to nab this in the butt before it comes another one of those "never cleaned" cloth seats.

Would the magic eraser be recommended for cloth as well? I know it works well on the alcantara because I've tried it, but I don't want to muck up the cloth if it's not meant for it.

danewilson77
02-05-2012, 02:46 PM
I use the Alcantara cleaner that BMW sells.

zj96sc
02-05-2012, 02:54 PM
I'd fear that you'd end up with faded spots if you took the magic eraser to the cloth. I'd try to track down someone with a steam cleaner, you can even get basic ones off of amazon for not a ton of cash. Pretty legit investment if you have cloth seats, not to mention the ability to clean your carpet very very well.

By the way, I don't know if you were joking or not, but the expression is "nip this in the bud"...if you wrote that on purpose 10-4, just don't want you to tell someone at work you want to nab something in the butt if you thought that was the expression.

Anyway, my recommendation is to steamclean. I think it is going to take moisture to really lift dirt. Lamborghini says specifically to not use a steam cleaner on alcantara.

At that point I'd follow it up with a protectant and let it bake in the sun to try and avoid mold formation from the moisture.

RVAzhp
02-05-2012, 02:56 PM
i steam cleaned the alcantara in my old integra (had type R front and rear seats) and it was fine. got everything out of it.

yura
02-05-2012, 08:16 PM
If you're going to steam clean, I'd suggest taking the seats out of the car. I've heard horror stories about steam ruining electronics and other sensitive parts of the interior.

nike001
02-05-2012, 08:35 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22261-alcantara-cleaning.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton-faqs/cleaning-alcantara-656891.html

Heres a video of a wheel cleaning, but the steps during cleaning would be the same for seats:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPL0nb0J2Sg

Steam cleaning also doesn't seem like a bad idea.

zj96sc
02-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Worse than this? :biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPP8NkjPGvk

By the way, from that autogeek thread, from Lamborghini:

Don’t rub too vigorously, and we don’t recommend using steam machines.

I will edit as appropriate.

Dane, do you have a P/N for BMW's offering that you referenced?

danewilson77
02-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Dane, do you have a P/N for BMW's offering that you referenced?

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Natural-Care-Interior-Cleaner/dp/B004QXWWWQ

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/31XiGbhLd0L__SS500_.jpg

RVAzhp
02-06-2012, 07:23 AM
If you're going to steam clean, I'd suggest taking the seats out of the car. I've heard horror stories about steam ruining electronics and other sensitive parts of the interior.
you use the hose attachment and go over your carpeting/seats like you would a vacuum. it places exactly where you need it? it doesn't steam up the entire car. i'm not sure how this would effect the electronics. I have always done this outside with the doors open (as if i were vacuuming my car). i've done this on three different vehicles carpeting and never had any issues.

if it's not recommended as said above, then i guess i would stay away from steam cleaning the alcantara.

az3579
02-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Charlie had his interior steam cleaned and there have been no issues with his car. My deal will be finding a place nearby that will do it. Another problem will be getting those seats out of the car; they are extremely heavy, and I don't see an easy way of taking them out with that door pillar in place without scratching or destroying some part of my interior... I'll have to look up some youtube tutorials or something for tricks. I definitely need to take the seats out though because I never can fit a vacuum hose in between the seats so it's quite nasty.

Thanks for the steam cleaning suggestions. I definitely would like to try this route. Was hoping there's be a product that I could use, and I think I might try Dane's suggestion first.

DW,
Is that supposed to be good for cloth as well as alcantara?

By the way, I don't know if you were joking or not, but the expression is "nip this in the bud"...if you wrote that on purpose 10-4, just don't want you to tell someone at work you want to nab something in the butt if you thought that was the expression.

Said it on purpose. Thanks for looking out though. :)

zj96sc
02-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Baha, roger. That was one of those situations where if I had been wrong I would've definitely wanted someone to call me on it before I put my foot in my mouth somewhere more important than the netterwebs.

I had a coworker buy a steam cleaner off of amazon for like $120, she said it works way better than she expected. Has a hand attachement too to do car carpets and stuff. Like I said, I'd consider the investment regardless, especially if I had cloth seats.

az3579
02-06-2012, 05:31 PM
I had a coworker buy a steam cleaner off of amazon for like $120, she said it works way better than she expected. Has a hand attachement too to do car carpets and stuff. Like I said, I'd consider the investment regardless, especially if I had cloth seats.

As much as I'd love new toys, I have nowhere to put it. I have to store EVERYTHING I own in my tiny little bedroom. My jack rests its handle near my head next to my bed. Hell, I share a room with a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires mounted on Kosei K1 wheels. That's how bad the storage situation is...:(

cakM3
02-06-2012, 05:39 PM
BP, I hear you about storage :)

danewilson77
02-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Have pulled my seats several times (what? Gotta vacuum under them) and have never damaged them. Go slow is key...

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

zj96sc
02-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Stuff like that I try to throw sheets or blankets over the rest of the trim while I work. Just makes life easier.

derbo
02-06-2012, 09:55 PM
just remember the passenger seat has a seat occupancy sensor underneath the cloth. I accidentally had spilled water go on the middle section and it damaged the sensor. That new sensor is not cheap and not easy to reinstall. :(

danewilson77
02-07-2012, 05:18 AM
just remember the passenger seat has a seat occupancy sensor underneath the cloth. I accidentally had spilled water go on the middle section and it damaged the sensor. That new sensor is not cheap and not easy to reinstall. :(

You did the install yourself?

ryankokesh
02-07-2012, 05:58 AM
Has anyone scothguarded the cloth and/or alcantara?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derbo
02-10-2012, 10:24 AM
You did the install yourself?

I had help with my CPO tech to install it. Hog clips are a pain :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

zj96sc
02-10-2012, 10:32 AM
They're OK.....if you have the right tools and once you get the hang of them. I reskinned some parts of my E30 sport seats, removed and later re-used all the hog rings with needle nose and channel locks. With a bin of new hog rings and hog ring pliers I would've been cruising....and had a lot less blood blisters.

LivesNearCostco
02-10-2012, 01:51 PM
I thought "nab something in the butt" was a type of customs enforcement catch at the border. Or my alcantara seat bolsters are "nappy from my butt."

Said it on purpose. Thanks for looking out though. :)

BADCLOWN
04-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Bringing this back from the dead: the cloth centers on my seats need a little work. I'm going to use a bissel spot cleaner used for carpets but has a handheld attachment that I believe steams. Will share results pre and post cleaning

ELCID86
04-02-2017, 04:41 PM
^I've used my hand held cleaner attachment with good results. It uses whatever temperature water it's filled with.

BADCLOWN
04-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Just finished 1 full round of cleaning the cloth centers with the bissel unit, 1 round of sonax using a white microfiber and brush on 90% of the interior, and then a second round of doing the centers on the front seats. Letting it dry now, took about 45 mins. as I wasn't overly detailed/wanted to see what an hours worth of work would do. The front centers were the worst and the alcantara wasn't too bad over all. My white microfiber turned light brown/showed dirt on nearly all of it.

I know guys have used (idk what it's exactly called) a tool that's battery operated to go over their steering wheels that "shaves" the balled up fibers off. Anyone recommend this for the seats, specifically on the seat (ass part) bolsters for the front seats?

Edit: I watched the Bugatti Pur Blanc cleaning video. Went off that the best I could

ELCID86
04-09-2017, 02:20 PM
I know guys have used (idk what it's exactly called) a tool that's battery operated to go over their steering wheels that "shaves" the balled up fibers off. Anyone recommend this for the seats, specifically on the seat (ass part) bolsters for the front seats?

Sweater shaver. May not be needed unless you have lots of pilling.

BADCLOWN
04-09-2017, 02:36 PM
I don't have a ton. It's not so much pilling as it is just longer/worn out fibers. It's only on the driver seat

Used the sweater shaver and it worked rather well. I'll update my project thread with pics this week