PDA

View Full Version : DIY: OEM Underseat First Aid Compartment doityourself

derbo
02-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Got around to getting this installed. Took less than 10 minutes to finish up!

Difficulty: 1/10

I ordered the first aid underseat compartment from the dealership. Your prices may vary. Here are the part numbers not including the first aid kit contents:

First Aid compartment 52 10 7 044 958
First Aid compartment Bracket 52 10 7 045 018
First Aid compartment T30 Screw 07 14 9 169 302 (M6X12 T30) (need two min for the front. There are 3 holes)

These screws are short enough and will allow sport bolsters to be adjusted without getting caught on the screws.

https://img.skitch.com/20120208-qxtedrck7upneaga6d74hkuafx.png

Underneath the seat, you can visually see 3 holes that line up perfectly with the bracket. Install the bracket first, and then slide the first aid box in. You're done and fill it up with goodies!

https://img.skitch.com/20120208-mh3whbrau9ghyjq8wfi37wct4f.png

https://img.skitch.com/20120208-xdggss2pai6uqj2far37a56t18.png

https://img.skitch.com/20120208-cgmc3yxeqyywdc2f5yinqnytwm.png

iZHP
02-08-2012, 03:26 PM
That's pretty cool. I'm thinking about doing this. Extra storage never hurt right?

trancenation
02-08-2012, 04:29 PM
This is a great modification and write-up. This is added to my to-do list haha.

danewilson77
02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks Derbo. Lookin good.

Johnmadd
02-08-2012, 04:54 PM
This is not standard? I keep a couple microfiber cloths for the occasional dusting of the dash in my first aid box. :)

danewilson77
02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Not standard....

trancenation
02-08-2012, 05:28 PM
This is not standard? I keep a couple microfiber cloths for the occasional dusting of the dash in my first aid box. :)

Another mod to add to your sig! :D

Johnmadd
02-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Another mod to add to your sig! :D

Haha, that's what I was thinking. I need to update sig with the mods I have done in the past year.:shifty

jayjay_dee
02-08-2012, 07:59 PM
good job with the write up Derbo...

I installed mine under the driver seat, more accessible... im thinking of adding another one on the passenger seat...

spencers
02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Looks perfect for concealed carry driving!

derbo
02-08-2012, 09:55 PM

This is standard on cars that went through the European Delivery process. The triangle and first aid kits are mandatory for german driving I believe.

derbo
02-08-2012, 09:55 PM
good job with the write up Derbo...

I installed mine under the driver seat, more accessible... im thinking of adding another one on the passenger seat...

Good note that this can be installed under either front seat!

Cabrio330
02-10-2012, 07:16 AM
I installed two - one under each front seat. However, I didn't get the Torx screws and so had a difficult time getting the right screws and thus my install isn't great. Thanks to this DIY, I am picking up six (6) of the T30 screws today and re-doing the install the correct way tomorrow! The extra storage is handy - I have an umbrella and my phone charging cord under my seat, and a shop towel and wipes under the passenger seat. Still plenty of room left in each for more stuff!

Hermes
02-10-2012, 07:32 AM
I might have to do this for the stealth storage use, my dad has these under seat trays in his Benz and they're great.

derbo
02-10-2012, 07:54 AM
I installed two - one under each front seat. However, I didn't get the Torx screws and so had a difficult time getting the right screws and thus my install isn't great. Thanks to this DIY, I am picking up six (6) of the T30 screws today and re-doing the install the correct way tomorrow! The extra storage is handy - I have an umbrella and my phone charging cord under my seat, and a shop towel and wipes under the passenger seat. Still plenty of room left in each for more stuff!

Yea I figured that was the harder part. Finding the screws. A little research with the ECE catalog and I found out the screws were available from the dealership :)

M6X12 T30 is the specs on the screw.

Washburn
02-12-2012, 10:19 AM
you need a special screw driver for that screw right?

iZHP
02-12-2012, 10:22 AM
you need a special screw driver for that screw right?

Yes. Get a torx screwdriver set (very handy)

I got all the torx ends for my ratchet set.

Washburn
02-12-2012, 10:30 AM
do you need the regular torx or secure (tamper-proof, with hole in middle) type?
Thanks

EDIT: looks like regular

derbo
02-12-2012, 08:24 PM
It is a regular torx T30.

M0nk3y
02-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Looks perfect for concealed carry driving!

This is what I'm thinking.

Approx how deep does the unit extend? Just trying to get dimensional data here. I know they offer the same units for my car

derbo
02-14-2012, 11:31 AM
This is what I'm thinking.

Approx how deep does the unit extend? Just trying to get dimensional data here. I know they offer the same units for my car

I don't have real dimensions but its about iphone4 deep, and 75% iphone tall. LOL

brettbimmer
02-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Odd, purchased my '04 from the original owner who took Euro. delivery on her. I do have the first aid box and kit, but no triangle in the trunk. However the triangle bracket has been put to good use holding onto my 2D Mag Lite. :dunno

johnrando
02-14-2012, 01:09 PM
I'll measure mine if you'd like.

derbo
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Odd, purchased my '04 from the original owner who took Euro. delivery on her. I do have the first aid box and kit, but no triangle in the trunk. However the triangle bracket has been put to good use holding onto my 2D Mag Lite. :dunno

The triangle I don't believe stays with the car quite often. I never seen a car with the actual triangle still intact upon trade. They usually just have the trunk bracket

alexandre
09-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Bump - looking into this as I need additional storage. I read that the holes are not threaded on cars that didn't have the option off the factory - is this true or did most people that did this just not find the proper screws ?

derbo
09-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Bump - looking into this as I need additional storage. I read that the holes are not threaded on cars that didn't have the option off the factory - is this true or did most people that did this just not find the proper screws ?

Alex,

It's is not threaded at all. However the screws part number I mentioned in my first post are EXACTLY the screws that wont go too far into the seat and is the correct size. The only caveat is that they are torx bit. Since most E46 bolts are torx anyways, I don't see this being an issue.

ELCID86
09-20-2013, 02:53 PM
OK, so I'm missing something. What do the screw screw into if the "holes are not threaded"? Are you saying the holes on the bracket are not, but the ones in the seat bottom are? Also, it seem like it would be tricky manipulating a screwdriver (torxdriver), but I guess on a socket wrench it would work fine.

330i ZHP
09-20-2013, 06:11 PM
the seat isn't threaded - installing this takes no time at all - you might even spend more time lifting the seat with the power buttons (if so equipped) than attaching the two screws...exaggeration

alexandre
09-20-2013, 11:22 PM
the seat isn't threaded - installing this takes no time at all - you might even spend more time lifting the seat with the power buttons (if so equipped) than attaching the two screws...exaggeration

OK - so the bolt PN that Derek gave is self threading?

Stewbie
09-21-2013, 08:51 AM
I ordered the first aid underseat compartment from the dealership. Your prices may vary. Here are the part numbers not including the first aid kit contents:

First Aid compartment 52 10 7 044 958
First Aid compartment Bracket 52 10 7 045 018
First Aid compartment T30 Screw 07 14 9 169 302 (M6X12 T30) (need two min for the front. There are 3 holes)

Looked these up on Pelican parts.

$11 for the bracket
$25 for the box
$ 1 per screw

Our cars are lacking in concealed storage, so this is a pretty cheap solution.

Is the box big enough to hold a CD case?

JupiterBMW
09-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Ugh, this is another mod that I need to get my hands on. I've been slacking on this, so easy, yet so nice to have...

Stewbie- You still have CDs? I haven't owned any in years!

Stewbie
09-21-2013, 10:17 AM

Yeah, I know. Pretty old school. I have a huge collection and never bothered to convert it to digital. It would take too long.

Previous owner put an auxiliary jack in, so I can (and occasionally do) plug in my smartphone, and I have PowerAmp (which is a kick ass all format player for Android - FLAC anyone?), but I just don't find it as convenient as CD's. The CD is already in the deck when I get in the car and I can control it from the steering wheel. Whereas the smartphone has to come out of my pocket and get plugged in everytime. If I want to change tracks, I have to fidget with the phone while I'm driving, which is plain dangerous and in any event we have some serious distracted driving laws here in BC. If you touch your phone while you are driving, BOOM you get a ticket. It doesn't matter if you're on the highway or stopped at a red light. Touch the phone, get a ticket.

danewilson77
09-21-2013, 10:30 AM

Yeah, I know. Pretty old school. I have a huge collection and never bothered to convert it to digital. It would take too long.

Previous owner put an auxiliary jack in, so I can (and occasionally do) plug in my smartphone, and I have PowerAmp (which is a kick ass all format player for Android - FLAC anyone?), but I just don't find it as convenient as CD's. The CD is already in the deck when I get in the car and I can control it from the steering wheel. Whereas the smartphone has to come out of my pocket and get plugged in everytime. If I want to change tracks, I have to fidget with the phone while I'm driving, which is plain dangerous and in any event we have some serious distracted driving laws here in BC. If you touch your phone while you are driving, BOOM you get a ticket. It doesn't matter if you're on the highway or stopped at a red light. Touch the phone, get a ticket.

It's ok. Bruce modded his ZHP with an 8 track player.

ELCID86
09-21-2013, 11:29 AM
It's ok. Bruce modded his ZHP with an 8 track player.
Like!

ELCID86
09-21-2013, 11:31 AM
$ 1 per screw

Our cars are lacking in concealed storage, so this is a pretty cheap solution.

Is the box big enough to hold a CD case?

Hard to believe the screws are a buck a piece. Perhaps they are magic b/c I still can't figure out what they attach to! I went ahead and ordered the whole set up from ECS as a had a credit.

I still have CDs too...

az3579
09-21-2013, 12:13 PM

There is a solution to this problem. What I do is I have a dedicated iPod in the car, out of sight, hooked up to my iPod integration kit. You'd never know it was there, and I never have to unplug it or pick it up because I can control everything from the steering wheel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

johnrando
09-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Best way to convert the CDs is one at a time. I know, I know.... but I had (still have) around 100 albums and I digitized all of them, 1 at a time. Just do 1, 2, whatever every day or so, eventually you'll get there (that is if you really WANT to do it). Otherwise, yes, too daunting and it would feel like it takes forever. And definitely get the setup where you can control your ipod from the radio/steering wheel so you can go handsfree.

JupiterBMW
09-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Why do I feel like these parts are a lot cheaper than they used to be? Bracket and first aid box are like $30 combined...? I feel like I looked before and they were much more expensive...? Anyone?

derbo
09-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Why do I feel like these parts are a lot cheaper than they used to be? Bracket and first aid box are like $30 combined...? I feel like I looked before and they were much more expensive...? Anyone?

Joop,

It's always been around that price. That's what I paid awhile back.

Sent by Mobile

JupiterBMW
09-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Sweet.

derbo
09-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Also, I don't think it will fit CDs into it. It's more like two microfibers rolled up and its already full. But its better than nothing.

JupiterBMW
09-22-2013, 11:13 AM
CDs are antique technology... No need for them. :biggrin

derbo
09-25-2013, 01:09 PM
CDs are antique technology... No need for them. :biggrin

I keep glass microfibers and a heavy ply microfiber and a glass cleaner in there.

Sent by Mobile

Lanister
09-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Hard to believe the screws are a buck a piece. Perhaps they are magic b/c I still can't figure out what they attach to! I went ahead and ordered the whole set up from ECS as a had a credit.

I still have CDs too...

I ordered the items from getbmwparts.com the screws were $0.56 each. WIN :) :happyspidey

derbo
09-25-2013, 04:23 PM
I ordered the items from getbmwparts.com the screws were $0.56 each. WIN :) :happyspidey

How much was shipping :X

Lanister
09-25-2013, 06:44 PM
How much was shipping :X

I bought the first aid kit parts, euro tray, and a black rubber trunk mat. The shipping came up to $12. Really nice to have not have to pay tax while buying out of state. California sales tax of 9% is a killer.

johnrando
09-25-2013, 08:38 PM
How far back do these sit? I feel like mine is a little close to the front of the seat to be as hidden as I'd like. Maybe I should re-install or is do they sit right with the front of the seat? I should take a pic, but my phone is dead.

Lanister
09-25-2013, 09:05 PM
How far back do these sit? I feel like mine is a little close to the front of the seat to be as hidden as I'd like. Maybe I should re-install or is do they sit right with the front of the seat? I should take a pic, but my phone is dead.

Just pull the bolster out and you'll be "covered" :)

ELCID86
09-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Mine shipped from ECS today. They are not real prompt in that regard.

derbo
09-26-2013, 10:37 PM
https://img.skitch.com/20120208-xdggss2pai6uqj2far37a56t18.png

I mean, thats not too far in..

johnrando
09-26-2013, 11:04 PM
I don't really want the bolster out (thought of that). To me the car looks better with the bolster in. I'd like my kit more hidden than that pic.

ELCID86
09-27-2013, 03:06 AM
Looks fine to me. Can it be more hidden?

derbo
09-27-2013, 07:13 AM
I don't really want the bolster out (thought of that). To me the car looks better with the bolster in. I'd like my kit more hidden than that pic.

I think the problem is the bracket it attaches to.

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/110530_x800.jpg

The two holes it mounts to, is fixed on the seat itself. You could slot the bracket to move it a few centimeters..