PDA

View Full Version : Difference in Window Regulators

danewilson77
02-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Getting ready to purchase, front/left window regulator. I noticed other than MTC (Crap), and URO (???), there are two thers listed.

One is a "BMW" manufacturer and the other is OES (Original Equipment Supplier).

My question is: What is the difference between the BMW and OES regulators? The OES regulator is $25.00 more.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51337020659/

Could it be better? Could it be made as an improvement to the standard BMW one that has issues (By issues...I just mean the clip ends up breaking)?

Please weigh in.

Additionally, when I do this replacement (My regulator currently has zip-tie fix), I promise to take close up pictures of the issue and the repair.

danewilson77
02-14-2012, 02:23 PM
OK. Got it. I will buy the "OES" one to see if it is better than the "BMW" one.

RVAzhp
02-14-2012, 02:25 PM
I just did the "zip ties" and bought a 20 dollar motor from Rock Auto...

danewilson77
02-14-2012, 02:51 PM
OK.....Mine is zip tied, and motor works great. I just wanna make it proper.

derbo
02-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Report back when they are installed!

danewilson77
02-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Yeah... I figured I would see if the extra money was worth it... In the build.

It will be to me, if it lasts life of car.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

RVAzhp
02-14-2012, 06:27 PM
yeah one day when i get rich i'll replace the window regulators on both sides...one day...

ryankokesh
02-15-2012, 08:52 AM
So the MTC isn't worth it? I know nothing about these things...except that I need them. :(

danewilson77
02-15-2012, 08:53 AM
So the MTC isn't worth it? I know nothing about these things...except that I need them. :(

I heard they're crap... But I think it does come with 2 year warranty.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

ryankokesh
02-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Hmm, maybe I'll give it a shot and see. Perhaps with some zip-tie reinforcements it'll be okay... :dunno

aurelius
02-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Dorman is the brand amazon sells. Lifetime warranty. I just checked the box and their proper name is Dorman OE Solutions.

ryankokesh
02-15-2012, 10:10 AM
I checked on those, and it people were saying they don't even fit... The price was definitely right though.

aurelius
02-15-2012, 10:48 AM
I used a Dorman to replace my rear right regulator and it fit quite well.

On a related note I came across an e46 driver last weekend whose right rear had obviously failed. Said she had recently spent $500 having one of the fronts replaced. Which is ridiculously expensive. I have records from a family member's e46 showing the PO paid $350 per window at what is generally considered the priciest indie shop in town.

Word to the wise: Do this replacement in warm weather. If that's not an option, be sure you have a hair dryer and an extension cord. You'll need it for the adhesive on the moisture barrier under the interior door panel.

You'll prob also need a spare door panel clip or 6. The ones that attach the panel to the door and the ones into which the trim pieces fit.

ryankokesh
02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the advice - I might go for the dorman with the free shipping from amazon. The one I saw on Amazon with the bad reviews was the DAP variety.

danewilson77
02-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Yup....copy all. My thing about the lifetime guarentee is not the price. I mean...the money isn't really what bugs me. It's having to rip the door apart each time.

I am hoping I see some visible improvement made to this area, in the OES. If not....I am thinking of applying a "skim" of JB Weld....to ensure the cable never comes loose.

Anyone think this might be detrimental?

ryankokesh
02-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Hmm, that's an interesting idea.... I haven't actually opened up the door yet, so I don't think my opinion means a lot, but it seems like a great idea to me! :)

RVAzhp
02-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Yup....copy all. My thing about the lifetime guarentee is not the price. I mean...the money isn't really what bugs me. It's having to rip the door apart each time.

I am hoping I see some visible improvement made to this area, in the OES. If not....I am thinking of applying a "skim" of JB Weld....to ensure the cable never comes loose.

Anyone think this might be detrimental?

doubt it. I've taken my door apart...one too many times. biggest issue is the old clips breaking here/there and believe me, if you don't think you need a clip..you do or else when playing music your door rattles constantly like the speaker blew. i have like 4 zip ties in there. i can't imagine putting a bit of JB weld would be that terrible of an idea. hell maybe even put some zip ties in there too or carefully wrap some wire around to reinforce it. i've had the window snap zip ties and had to replace them.

danewilson77
02-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Data point: The OES window regulator is the same window regulator that's in my car now (that is zip tied) . Pics to follow.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

danewilson77
02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
So.....as previously stated...I had no difference in window regulators. Therefore....I am expecting the best (Most $$$) window from ECS (Which is the OES branded window regulator) to last around 120k miles.....depending on use.

Same regulators......verified. brose 8196037.....and it carriers the BMW roundel.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/WindowRegulator2.jpg

Design is a touch different...so maybe they improved the design.....who knows?

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/WindowRegulator1.jpg

To ease the burden of explaining zip tie fix. You can see how the "swag lock" type fitting, on the cable has become....unbound to its mating point in the plastic. I found the broken piece of plastic in the bottom of door. The zip tie, is what is designed to "keep" the fitting in its plastic mating point, after the plastic has broken. Zip tie was purposely cut, upon removal, in the below photo.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/WindowRegulatorZipTieFixFail.jpg

RVAzhp
02-27-2012, 09:01 AM
good looks. what is the cost of the one from ECS?

danewilson77
02-27-2012, 05:43 PM
good looks. what is the cost of the one from ECS?

$125. 00 for the OES. The BMW one is actually cheaper.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT