PDA

View Full Version : BMW E46 Washer pump

jjcools
12-30-2010, 03:02 PM
My windshield washers do not work, it has fluid in there. Do you think the little pump could be bad?? Where is it located and how do I change that sucker? I have never had a problem like this.

kayger12
12-30-2010, 03:55 PM
My winshield washers do not work, it has fluid in there. Do you think the little pump could be bad?? Where is it located and how do I change that sucker? I have never had a problem like this.

Out and about, but I'll check the Bentley for you when I get home.

Don't forget to check the fuse as well.

jjcools
12-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Good call on the fuse. I will try and check that tonight when I get home.

jjcools
12-30-2010, 04:03 PM
This may be stupid but how do I know which fuse it is?

danewilson77
12-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Could just be clogged....but check fuse first....49, 52, 59....

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/E46FuseDiagram-1.jpg

Mtnman
12-30-2010, 04:16 PM
if you have to replace it, it is super easy. no sweat. also, no expensive (for once) Ive done it....sure others have too

3ZHPGUY
12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Be careful messing with the fuses. I had the same problem on the wives 325CIc and put a fuse in the wrong slot. All the brake lights came on and I ended up taking it in. I usually check fuses with my test light. I connect the clamp to some metal object loke the door hinge. Then I touch the point to the both sides of the top of the the fuse. The light will come on on both sides if the fuse is good and the ignition is on or in the second position. There is a very small opening in the fuses that you can get the test light in. This time I was to lazy to stand up and walk over to my tool box and grab the test light. I saw the cool little fuse puller and thought ahh this el work, NOT, OH SHIT. god I hate when that happens.

I think the pumps are attached to the washer box.

jjcools
12-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks Dane, I will try those tonight. Now I am nervous, 3zhp killed the should be easy thought.

mimalmo
12-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Try all the basics like the above mentioned fuses and stuff first before buying a new pump. Mine was blocked by some sand one day. Do you have headlight washers too?

jjcools
12-31-2010, 09:22 AM
No headlight washer. I will try the fuses first cause I cannot hear it trying to work at all.

shadowpuck
12-31-2010, 09:41 AM
if the fuse is good, also might be worth checking the wiring at the pump for power/etc......

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 04:33 PM
I wonder if this ever got fixed :scratchead

jjcools
09-15-2011, 04:50 PM
I was not the fuse but I have not fixed it yet. Too lazy I guess.

Newjack
09-15-2011, 04:59 PM
I was not the fuse but I have not fixed it yet. Too lazy I guess.

I'm in the same boat as you. My washer fluid leaks out so the light is always on my dash. Soon buying a new pump/grommet.

Hermes
09-15-2011, 05:17 PM
On a kinda related note, does anybody know how to align the spouts? One of mine shoots a little too high

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 05:29 PM
On a kinda related note, does anybody know how to align the spouts? One of mine shoots a little too high

Bavauto actually has a lil alignment tool you can pick up. I see it in their magazine each month.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
09-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Bavauto actually has a lil alignment tool you can pick up. I see it in their magazine each month.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Knew I saw that somewhere.

Was trying to find it for him.

Good looking out.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Hermes
09-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Cool! I don't really look that hard when it shows up, I just kinda skim through. Guess I should pay more attention from now on

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Cool! I don't really look that hard when it shows up, I just kinda skim through. Guess I should pay more attention from now on

Shoot....I read everything in that mag. They got some good stuff. Thinking about going with that high performance coil set.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

telijah
09-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Dont bother buying the tool. Just get a paper clip or similar. Actually a push-tac would be best as you'll likely bend the paper clip if the nozzle is really stuck in it's current position.

To the OP, just get a new pump after making sure the connection is good. They're cheap enough to not have to worry about build quality. I put on a pump from Autozone two years ago, and it lasted me until last month, and I just put a new one in last week.

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Dont bother buying the tool. Just get a paper clip or similar. Actually a push-tac would be best as you'll likely bend the paper clip if the nozzle is really stuck in it's current position.

To the OP, just get a new pump after making sure the connection is good. They're cheap enough to not have to worry about build quality. I put on a pump from Autozone two years ago, and it lasted me until last month, and I just put a new one in last week.

Need instructions for proper alignment method with thumb tack please.....

MrMaico
09-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Check to make sure you have the adjustable ones before ordering a tool or trying to adjust them with a paperclip. Some, like mine, are not adjustable....

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Misc/IMG0385/745482064_xG6Su-L.jpg

atl2pdx
09-25-2011, 09:58 PM
The pump and grommet are very easy to replace. Just had to do it this week to mine. Came out one morning and there was pretty good-sized puddle of washer fluid under the car- took three days to drain out completely. I ordered replacement pump and grommet over ebay. Several options available including VDO, which is the brand of original pump. you can get it shipped for less than $40. All in all a pretty easy repair. If you have headlight washers, there will be two pumps; you;re after the one at the back of the reservoir. Just be patient as you work the old pump out of it housing. Hope this helps-

zj96sc
09-26-2011, 04:42 AM
Keep in mind that at low speeds your washer spray may be "high" but at 80mph that pattern may be dead on.

I drove one of those Fiat 500s in europe for a while and had a good chuckle at stupid Fiat quality control when the washer spray almost came in the sunroof sitting at a stop light. Then going 110mph later that day the spray was dead center in the windshield and I had a little "ah ha" moment of humility.

Just keep it in mind.