PDA

View Full Version : Dinan 20% Off Sale on all Performance Software

3ZHPGUY
12-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Dinan has extended the 20% Off Sale on all Performance Software until 3/04/2011.

http://www.dinancars.com/webresources/images/logo_dinan.png

20% Off Software Sale Continues (http://www.dinancars.com/specials/When-Dinan-Wins-You-Win-20-Off-Software-Sale-Continues.aspx)

danewilson77
02-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Expired.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Sale back on.

danewilson77
02-17-2011, 07:00 PM
oh....ok

Rovert
02-19-2011, 01:28 PM
I got a chance to meet Steve Dinan and personally chat with him. His company is very meticulous in how it operates and creates a product. Some of you wonder why it costs so much and I can tell you a lot of resources go into the Research and Development of his products. People have complained about why his stuff only creates modest gains and nothing as crazy as other companies at the same price point. The reason is they have done their research to create the best longevity of the engine/part as possible. He'd rather have something modest that lasts 200,000 miles versus something that is highly tuned and only lasts 100,000 miles. That's why they are one of the only companies that carry warranty which BMW honours. He went on about his test facilities on how he gets his numbers and how it's strictly controlled so that any given day, the exact same number can be put onto paper without much deviation with the same test. That way they can give the end user controlled statistics on various modifications and be confident with the marketing accuracy. Pretty solid company if you ask me.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-19-2011, 01:41 PM
I went with Dinan on my 335. Felt like a safe option. More importantly, I don't have to yank stuff off my car every time I take my car into the dealership for work.

I'm very pleased with my stage II software.

I won't be tuning my 330, though. Keeping it stock.

danewilson77
02-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Keeping it stock.

:rofl

az3579
02-21-2011, 02:40 AM
I won't be tuning my 330, though. Keeping it stock.

Pfft, a little late for that one, don'tcha think? :rolleyes
:biggrin

Marcus-SanDiego
02-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Pfft, a little late for that one, don'tcha think? :rolleyes
:biggrin

The only thing I've done is put the BMW Performance intake on the car (which replaced the aFe intake that the previous owner had on the car). No tuning, right? :biggrin

danewilson77
02-21-2011, 10:26 AM
The only thing I've done is put the BMW Performance intake on the car (which replaced the aFe intake that the previous owner had on the car). No tuning, right? :biggrin

And.......

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
02-21-2011, 10:51 AM
And.......

Just the intake. No other engine mods.

Cadeez
03-10-2011, 12:01 PM
I took advantage of the Dinan sale and got the Stage 1 software installed for $300 last week at my local authorized dealer. Honestly I can't say that I notice much (if any) difference. No noticable performance increase, the driveability/throttle response might be a little better but it's hard to say. The acceleration is silky smooth all the way through, no blips between 3-4k rpm, but there still is really no bottom end at all...which is frustrating. Coming from an E36 M3 I'm used to that power on demand, in any gear, at any rpm...BOOM it was just there and you were OUT! The two cars are opposites, M3 was all bottom end hp/tq, but above 5k it flattened out (unless you did the M50 manifold conversion which took away from the bottom end). The ZHP is more like an S2000, not much right away, but when the revs get up it gets moving...at least in 2nd & 3rd. I will say the overall driveability of the ZHP is much better, handling, smoothness, etc...but for how fast/mean/freakin sweet this thing looks it just doesn't bring the noise, if you will. Does anyone know of any way to bring up the bottom end torque numbers?

Rovert
03-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I've heard getting new VANOS seals helps a lot if you haven't done that yet.

kayger12
03-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Definitely look to do vanos seals if you are anywhere near 100k.

Felt like I put a new motor in my 325 when I did them.

Returned a ton of power on the bottom end.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Cadeez
03-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Well then I should definitely try that! Car just turned 80k so they'll probably need it soon. Just OEM replacements or is there some special upgraded ones that are better? Off hand is there a good/cheap site to get them? I peruse a ton of sites so I suppose I could find them pretty easily, just wondering if you had a good place to start?

danewilson77
03-10-2011, 02:44 PM
You need the seal upgrade for double vanos.

www.beisansystems.com

kayger12
03-10-2011, 03:01 PM
^^^
What he said.

Conventional wisdom is that the vanos seals begin to go bad as early as 20k miles.

Yours are most certainly performing poorly at 80k.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Cadeez
03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
On that site it shows the cost as $60 for the double Vanos seals. But in the DIY provided below it lists a mess of other parts, do I need all that biz? Valve cover gaskets and grommets, etc. It does list them as "optional parts" but I don't wanna get my rig apart and not have all the necessary goodies.

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm

danewilson77
03-10-2011, 04:08 PM
It should cost you around $120.00.

$60 for the seals.
$60.00 for the VCG (which includes spark plug gaskets), 15 grommets, non hardening permatex, spare vanos piston bolt.

It's up to you if you want to get all that is listed. The above, imho, is the minimum.

Cadeez
03-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Gotcha, however I don't see that on the Beisan site?

kayger12
03-10-2011, 04:38 PM
I would go the $60 and do the anti-rattle kit while you're in there as well.

Beisan only sells the Vanos seals and anti-rattle.

The other stuff you have to order elsewhere.

Don't forget the Vanos gasket as well.

danewilson77
03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Gotcha, however I don't see that on the Beisan site?

All other parts, other than the seals can be picked up at ecstuning...or another aftermarket vendor.

danewilson77
03-10-2011, 04:46 PM
I would go the $60 and do the anti-rattle kit while you're in there as well.

Beisan only sells the Vanos seals and anti-rattle.

The other stuff you have to order elsewhere.

Don't forget the Vanos gasket as well.

If you do the anti rattle kit you will need soft jaw vice liners, and a pneumatic socket setup to get the vanos piston apart. Cost here will be over $200...

Cadeez
03-10-2011, 04:47 PM
But is the anti rattle kit "necessary"? Price isn't a huge issue since the total would only be ~$200, but if it doesn't rattle now, do I really need it. Or is it more of a since you're already in there sort of preventitave maint type of thing? The kit doesn't come with the Vanos gasket?? Man I think I have Vanos overload, it all seemed so simple in the beginning... :blink

danewilson77
03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Keith is correct. It is more of a preventative maintenance thing....kiinda like plugs.

Cadeez
03-10-2011, 04:52 PM
If you do the anti rattle kit you will need soft jaw vice liners, and a pneumatic socket setup to get the vanos piston apart. Cost here will be over $200...

Crap, this is becoming pretty technical, I think I'm gonna pass on the anti rattle kit. Thanks for all the info as always guys, I can't tell you how much this site has helped me out. Sucks being a rookie, but it's very nice to have patient and knowledgeable "advisors" at my beck and call. :rockon

kayger12
03-10-2011, 04:55 PM
But is the anti rattle kit "necessary"? Price isn't a huge issue since the total would only be ~$200, but if it doesn't rattle now, do I really need it. Or is it more of a since you're already in there sort of preventitave maint type of thing? The kit doesn't come with the Vanos gasket?? Man I think I have Vanos overload, it all seemed so simple in the beginning... :blink

Anti-rattle is a dice roll. If you don't do it and it doesn't develop a rattle--win.

If you don't do it and it DOES develop a rattle, you're gonna want to kick yourself for not doing it while you were in there.

That being said, the rattle is more of an annoyance and doesn't do any damage to the Vanos or the motor-- and if yours hasn't developed one by now, you could very well be fine. Mine was already rattling when I bought it with 45k on it.

Cadeez
03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Mine purrs like a kitten... I'm surprised every day I get in it how nice and mechanically sound it really is, and how well taken care of it must have been it's entire life. This was a monumental score. Battery died today though, wah waaah...

Kudos
03-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Another option not mentioned is the route i'll take is to just buy a vanos unit with replaced seals from dr vanos. When you takes yours apart you just send your core unit. The cost is about 100 bucks more but you don't have to take the thing apart or need as many tools. Much easier job, but more moneyzzz. Any1 have first hand experience with the dr vanos and if it's replaced with stock seals or upgraded ones?

adb1028
03-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Has anyone actually done the rattle kit? Whats involved?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

kayger12
03-11-2011, 03:44 PM
It is definitely a good option, Kudos.

Dr. Vanos units contain upgraded seals and modified anti-rattle bearings.

I've never read anything bad about them.

danewilson77
03-11-2011, 07:47 PM
It is definitely a good option, Kudos.

Dr. Vanos units contain upgraded seals and modified anti-rattle bearings.

I've never read anything bad about them.

Me and BP were a stones throw from doing the anti rattle kit but you really have to have the soft jaw vice liners recommended by the site and a pneumatic ratchet gun. I will have both before we have the meet.

az3579
03-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Me and BP were a stones throw from doing the anti rattle kit but you really have to have the soft jaw vice liners recommended by the site and a pneumatic ratchet gun. I will have both before we have the meet.

I've had it done before on the other car and it really wasn't difficult, it just requires extra tools...

Sent from my DROIDX