PDA

View Full Version : Which wax for Imola Red

FullyBalanced
12-31-2010, 05:35 AM
A little elaboration first: I use a Porter Cable random orbital buffer and Sonus pads

Zymol (just the cheap $20 a bottle stuff)...looked good for about 1.5-2 months.

Liquid Crystal - awesome, can't find it any more

Liquid Glass - good stuff, holds up pretty good, gotta be something better out there

Meguiar's (regular) - looked like crap

Mother's 3 stage (clean, polish, wax) - held up well, took forever to do all three stages but made the red have a whitish tint...not pink...just like...well I don't know, I just didn't like it. It held up well beaded water well. I just hated the way it looked after spending so much time on it (about 16 hours total)

Meguiar's NXT - best stuff over all I've found. Easy on easy off. Hold up pretty well. Nice shine.

anyone got other suggestions?

danewilson77
12-31-2010, 06:50 AM
Dodo Juice hard candy after Wolfgangs 3.0 paint sealant is what I use......after correction of course.

3ZHPGUY
12-31-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm an old school guy and use nothing but carnauba. Other waxes may last longer but carnauba gives me the best shine.

I started with Mothers® California Gold® carnauba. It was a good wax and always gave my car or truck a good shine.

A few yeas ago I received this Wicked Yellow Carnauba Paste Wax as a gift and was relay, real impressed. The stuff is as hard as a bar of soap and the can lasts forever. It also puts on a great shine on the car. The only problem is, I have to order it online because of no local dealer. I've been tempted to buy it by the case and sell it and just might do that.

http://www.wickedproducts.com/wickedshop/Shiny_Paint/9_Wicked_Yellow_Carnauba_Paste_Wax.html

This year I used Meguiar's Gold Class™ Carnauba Plus Paste Wax. It was a good wax that gave me a great shine. I'll use it until the can is gone but may not go back and buy more. The wax has additives and is somewhat liquid, not what I consider past wax.

Best shine, probably Meguiar's, my favorite ,Wicked.

You can check out my post in his section that was done with Meguiar's.

FullyBalanced
12-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Dodo Juice hard candy after Wolfgangs 3.0 paint sealant is what I use......after correction of course.

...pricey... but if it works I'm willing to try it. Do you get it from Autogeek.com?

FullyBalanced
12-31-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm an old school guy and use nothing but carnauba. Other waxes may last longer but carnauba gives me the best shine.

I started with Mothers® California Gold® carnauba. It was a good wax and always gave my car or truck a good shine.

A few yeas ago I received this Wicked Yellow Carnauba Paste Wax as a gift and was relay, real impressed. The stuff is as hard as a bar of soap and the can lasts forever. It also puts on a great shine on the car. The only problem is, I have to order it online because of no local dealer. I've been tempted to buy it by the case and sell it and just might do that.

http://www.wickedproducts.com/wickedshop/Shiny_Paint/9_Wicked_Yellow_Carnauba_Paste_Wax.html

This year I used Meguiar's Gold Class™ Carnauba Plus Paste Wax. It was a good wax that gave me a great shine. I'll use it until the can is gone but may not go back and buy more. The wax has additives and is somewhat liquid, not what I consider past wax.

Best shine, probably Meguiar's, my favorite ,Wicked.

You can check out my post in his section that was done with Meguiar's.

More reasonably priced... nice, I like options!

M0nk3y
12-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Depends on what you are trying to spend?

If you're around the $15 range, please look into Poorboy Natty Waxes.

If you're more into the $50 Range, there is Chemical Guys 5050 and Pete's 53

Range of $70...look into Dodo Juice IMO

$100 +...I'd figure you wouldn't be here.

The most important thing is that wax isn't going to make the car look brand new, it will help...but 90% of the shine and depth will come from prep work/correction.

My personal opinion, invest into a high quality sealant (like Jetseal 109 or Wolfgang 3.0 Sealant). And a mediocre wax...

What do I use? My LSP is Wolfgang 3.0 Paint Sealant, Dodo Juice Hard Candy then Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub ontop of that.

FYI - This is one layer of Poorboys Red Natty Wax...but it's over 40 hours of correction done to my paint:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/vaninohio/045d718e.jpg

FullyBalanced
01-04-2011, 03:37 PM
I think I'm gong to have to do some owrk on the paint before I pretty it up.

danewilson77
01-04-2011, 03:53 PM
What do I use? My LSP is Wolfgang 3.0 Paint Sealant, Dodo Juice Hard Candy then Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub ontop of that.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb118/vaninohio/045d718e.jpg

Follow on question here....and I will leave your pic....cuz it looks good (even if it is Japanrot).

When I was correcting my car...you instructed me to seal and wax. All of the instructions I read....just said "seal"

Do you have to wax after using the Wolfgangs 3.0? That is my question.

Washburn
01-04-2011, 04:31 PM
No Love for the Klasse Twins here, huh? :)

Nomar06
01-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I recently tried the Dodo Juice sample pots and the VooDoo one worked nicely on a black car. Still haven't tried the whote one I have for my car.

Maximus57
01-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I hated the Klasse products. Too hard to remove and left some residue. Zaino Brothers is awesome. Lasts a long time, great shine. I let my neighbor use it on his 2011 Shelby Mustang, he loved it too. I have almost all of my car friends using Zaino Products. I haven't found too many people who don't like it. I really like Zainos leather care products too.

Washburn
01-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Hmmm...I have never had trouble removing Klasse...nor did it leave any residue...and it beaded water even after on my wife's Elantra..
they do advice strongly against using too much which makes it hard to remove...the Sealant Glaze is harder to remove than the AIO wax, but the AIO was very easy to remove...one of the easiest AIO products I've used...

zhpnsnv
01-08-2011, 10:00 AM
I'll throw two in that don't get mentioned much:

1. Collinite IW. This stuff is indestructable and also brings a DEEP look. http://www.google.com/search?q=Collinite+845&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=Collinite+845&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=AVy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivnsfd&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=a6UoTYqtKYKglAf1m6zCAQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CEwQrQQwAw&biw=1280&bih=575&fp=9bef8cda26d1a6ec

It's beyond easy to apply and remove, and it lasts for at least a month or two longer than a basic carnuba on a non-garage-kept car.

Sometimes I top it with:

2. Blitz wax. Great carnuba. http://www.google.com/search?q=Blitz+Wax&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=Blitz+Wax&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=AWy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=qaUoTZf0AYaKlwfhoOCLAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQrQQwAA&biw=1280&bih=575&fp=9bef8cda26d1a6ec

Lately I've been correcting with Menzerna, protecting with the IW, then topping with Menz's FMJ, which is also easy to use. I like the Klasse products when I used them. Not as easy as others, and a more "plastic" type of finish. I stopped using them when I discovered the collinite line of products, which give red a deeper look rather than just shine.

M0nk3y
01-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Follow on question here....and I will leave your pic....cuz it looks good (even if it is Japanrot).

When I was correcting my car...you instructed me to seal and wax. All of the instructions I read....just said "seal"

Do you have to wax after using the Wolfgangs 3.0? That is my question.

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation. Yes I do Dane.

Most instructions do say "seal"

But to get the best protection, and best gloss, "seal" is considered Sealant AND Wax...both can be considered LSP tough (Last Step Product).

I actually use 3 products now. I use Wolfgang 3.0 Sealant. Dodo Juice Hard Candy, and ontop of that Dodo Juice RainForest Rub.

I'd never recommended you something that I don't think is needed

danewilson77
01-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Ok...thanks, M.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

FullyBalanced
01-14-2011, 05:43 PM
OK today my Wolfgang swirl remover and paint sealant also Dodo Juice Hard Candy and Purple Haze.... I just ordered the sample sizes ($50 for sample sizes). I might be able to work on it Monday if the weather cooperates (ie it's not as cold as a witches tit). I'll post pics upon completion.

FullyBalanced
01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm in LOVE again!

Real time, I'm taking a break. This morning I got started at 8:30 (only 37deg) washed the car, then started with the Wolfgangs swirl remover, then Meguires polish, (twice of each on the hood, roof and trunk). Now I'm moving on to the Wolfgangs point sealant. Wow.... easy on, easy off. I've done the hood roof and trunk, still need to do so the sides. Looks like the directions state let "cure" for 12hours so I dont' guess I'll do the Dodo Hard Candy and Purple Haze today, but I'll tell you my car looks as good as it ever has so far. If the Dodo Juice works as good as you all say.... I just don't knnow what I'll do!

kayger12
01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Sounds great. Looking forward to pics.

M0nk3y
01-17-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm in LOVE again!

Real time, I'm taking a break. This morning I got started at 8:30 (only 37deg) washed the car, then started with the Wolfgangs swirl remover, then Meguires polish, (twice of each on the hood, roof and trunk). Now I'm moving on to the Wolfgangs point sealant. Wow.... easy on, easy off. I've done the hood roof and trunk, still need to do so the sides. Looks like the directions state let "cure" for 12hours so I dont' guess I'll do the Dodo Hard Candy and Purple Haze today, but I'll tell you my car looks as good as it ever has so far. If the Dodo Juice works as good as you all say.... I just don't knnow what I'll do!

Yep, you need to allow time for the sealant to bond to the paint. And FYI. You "should" allow dry time (I usually do about an hour) after applying.

balticvid
06-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Look up Zaino on line.
Once the car is polished to a shine I preserve it with Zaino.
It really shines and lasts a long time. Very easy to use.
Just follow the directions (also on line) and DON'T use too much.
I have used many other "waxes". Zaino is not a wax.

Regards, Walt

JHiggy
07-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Tried Meguiar's (http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-4193730-10771029) NXT Tech Wax (2.0) last night after first experience claying (highly recommend - had it washed and still picked up a lot of junk and I keep my ride I thought, quite clean). Checked many reviews which seemed overall, positive. Admittedly, I still use the old hand method for now til I purchase a polisher. For a OTC product, it went on well and came off easily and the results thus far (mind you, 3/4 of a day) look good. Really, my post is to advise that application and removal was a breeze by hand as I would presume Turtle Wax would probably shine up the ride as or almost as well as NXT. Better stuff out there I'm sure and will be interested in exploring and then selecting 1 or 2 in the future to use consistently.

danewilson77
07-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Tried Meguiar's (http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-4193730-10771029) NXT Tech Wax (2.0) last night after first experience claying (highly recommend - had it washed and still picked up a lot of junk and I keep my ride I thought, quite clean). Checked many reviews which seemed overall, positive. Admittedly, I still use the old hand method for now til I purchase a polisher. For a OTC product, it went on well and came off easily and the results thus far (mind you, 3/4 of a day) look good. Really, my post is to advise that application and removal was a breeze by hand as I would presume Turtle Wax would probably shine up the ride as or almost as well as NXT. Better stuff out there I'm sure and will be interested in exploring and then selecting 1 or 2 in the future to use consistently.

Thanks for the review and heads up......higgy

3ZHPGUY
07-14-2011, 05:22 PM
I had an interesting question ask by someone in a group of guys admiring my ZHP at coffee and cars Cincinnati, OH last weekend.

"How do you make to look so wet?" I guess that states what the finish looks like with Meguiar's Gold Class™ Carnauba Plus Paste Wax. I believe I did my last wax with the Meguir's a little over a month ago.

danewilson77
07-14-2011, 05:30 PM
I ran outta dodo juice....so that's what I am using now. Gold Class.

fricker66
07-16-2011, 08:24 AM
I've been impressed with the looks of CG JS109 topped with SV Shield on my '03.

3ZHPGUY
07-22-2011, 05:40 PM
I had an interesting question ask by someone in a group of guys admiring my ZHP at coffee and cars Cincinnati, OH last weekend.

"How do you make to look so wet?" I guess that states what the finish looks like with Meguiar's Gold Class™ Carnauba Plus Paste Wax. I believe I did my last wax with the Meguir's a little over a month ago.

You know you're a ZHP fanatic when you forget last wax you used. I did a wash tonight and decided to top off the lids with new wax. I went into my detail box and pulled out the little finger pad my son got me for Christmas then I grabbed the Meguir's. HHMM, this doesn't seam right. OH Yeh Scott bought me that Griot's carnabua wax stick Kit and that is what got the wet comment. I'll never see that guy again to tell him the right stuff. LOL

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+waxing/car+waxes+and+sealants/carnauba+wax+stick+kit.do

danewilson77
07-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Today...I used Autoglym.

Makes imola look wet. Very happy.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

3ZHPGUY
07-22-2011, 06:01 PM
There are many great waxes out there but I'm not sure where if I want to try any thing else. I am so anal with having perfect lids. I can't have any water checks, you know those things that look like shattered glass that are a total pain to get rid of and the seam to love red. It took me many hours too get rid of them and I NEVER want to see them again.

Johnmadd
07-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Brettbimmer told me he uses marine wax, its much more tolerant.

M0nk3y
07-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Brettbimmer told me he uses marine wax, its much more tolerant.

Tolerant, yes. But that's about it. You won't achieve any gloss or depth from it.

1 M Mike
05-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Looks plenty deep to me. How much deeper do you want to go? :)

UdubBadger
05-23-2013, 04:34 PM
:drool

brettbimmer
05-23-2013, 04:37 PM
^Hmmm...Mike, that car looks vaguely familiar. :D

ryankokesh
05-23-2013, 05:23 PM
I gotta polish mine... This is so :drool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 M Mike
05-23-2013, 05:25 PM
^Hmmm...Mike, that car looks vaguely familiar. :D

Ha-ha Brett. The girl may be a bit older now, but as Kyle's lead off photo on the car meet shows she still can turn heads even today. Keep up the beauty treatments on her.

UdubBadger
05-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Also using dodo juice on mine

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

ryankokesh
05-24-2013, 05:05 AM
A few coats of dodo soft then hard after a polishing is insane. In the brain.