PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed ....

elric
03-06-2012, 12:54 PM
I am beginning to make plans for replacing my stock suspension, and need some advice. I'm currently looking at either getting the H&R Sport Cup Kit or the Bilstein Sports with H&R Sport springs. Mine is a 2003 sedan with 119K miles. It is mainly a DD with some AutoX time.

Thoughts?

:conversation

johnrando
03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
I chose H&R Sport Cup Kit (race springs) and purposely did not go with the Bilsteins due to failure. They are guaranteed for life, but I've heard that too many of the rears have failed and so having to replace them would be a pita for me as I don't do my own suspension work. IIRC, they might have even been replacing them with non-Bilsteins. So, you'd be taking a chance but when they don't fail, people swear by them.

I know many would say just go coilovers (especially if you do some AutoX, but that was overkill for me, as I don't).

The cup is a lot cheaper. I absolutely love my kit, the handling and ride is greatly improved. That's my recommendation but I don't have experience with others so I couldn't tell you for sure. I know Koni FSD's seem to be popular too.

brettbimmer
03-06-2012, 03:57 PM
I ran H&R Sport springs with Koni yellows on an E30, and it was a nice setup DD & HPDE Track. Also have an E36 running stock springs and Koni yellows, which is a very comfortable ride. If you are tracking, you may try the Sport Cup setup if you want a little bit firmer ride, though I have never been in an E46 with that setup. Coilovers are nice but the good ones are $$$$$$$$!

elric
03-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Coilovers are nice but the good ones are $$$$$$$$!

Yeah, I know. I ran Bilstein PSS9 coilovers on my previous E36. I want to lower the ZHP but not too much.

Mtnman
03-06-2012, 06:24 PM
I have h and r cup kit with sport springs (not race) lower front by. 75 and rear by. 25. Perfect for me. And I dd 20k per year city, and ride quality is similar to stock. (Maybe 20% harsher)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

cakM3
03-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I went with BC Racing "BR series" coilovers for my ///M and have been running on them over a year now. Love the ride and they have performed very well on the occasional "spirited" driving. Solid footing and excellent adjustability. When its time for me to update my ZHP's suspension, I'll be going with these :thumbsup

Pricing was at $1k for these :)

I have some friends who have tracked with these and they told me that they had no problems on the track. I have close to 15k on them and so far they have been awesome...