PDA

View Full Version : SD BMW CCA "Spring Fling Autocross" : Sat 3/31 & Sun 4/1

Hermes
03-08-2012, 03:11 PM
http://www.sdbmwcca.com/nav_images/logoblock.gif

Spring Fling 2012 Autocross

Two full days of tire-twisting fun await on March 31-April 1

This will be the only two-day autocross weekend this year, celebrating Spring Fling again 28 years since the first one! Sunday includes continuous laps! We’re also hosting the teen Street Survival program nearby on Sunday, so you’ll have an audience of impressionable young drivers.

Saturday’s format is the usual: morning practice, timed runs by class in the afternoon and trophies for top finishers.

On Sunday, drivers who register online for both days may return with ANY make of car and get a spot, a chance to try out your other 4-wheeled toy. Sunday is a fun day with no timing, but as much driving as we can fit into continuous 4-lap sessions. Saturday drivers returning in the same car won’t need to Tech again and won’t need Instructors (though some will be available for first-timers). We’ll still run in color groups, and please keep your wrist band and car numbers from Saturday. You may participate on Sunday only, but BMW drivers who also signed up for Saturday get priority.

Three sign-up options are available: Saturday only ($65), Sunday only ($65), or both days ($120, all X-cars welcome Sunday for this option).

You can register between March 10th and 27th. Online Registration will be open from March 10-27 at http://sdbmwcca.motorsportreg.com. Don’t wait until the last minute because it’s still first-come, first-served (with no online waiting list) and we only have 100 spots each day. We’ll still offer registration on-site if any openings are left for either day.

FAQ for SD chapter autocross: http://www.sdbmwcca.com/docs/autocross-FAQ.html

M0nk3y
03-08-2012, 03:31 PM
You should see a E36 M in Boston green there with Ohio Plates...

That is if he is actually going to do it like he said.

Sent using mental telepathy

LivesNearCostco
03-13-2012, 07:12 PM
I would love to go and test out my coilovers, but pretty much all my Saturdays are taken up through May 12. Maybe I can go Sunday only. I just did a Sunday Autox with the Los Angeles chapter and had to leave before the timed runs, but in theory my practice run times would have been good enough for 1st or 2nd place in the "6 mod" category (assuming I drove the same didn't hit any cones). The best "M-stock" drivers were still 5 or 6 seconds faster than me, pulling 67s and 68s compared to my 73s and 74s. I believe the CCA 6-mod category in San Diego is more competitive than in Los Angeles.

Here are my last two practice laps. Any advice or critique would be welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wzLKUH_bAY

Hermes
03-15-2012, 11:14 AM
I would love to go and test out my coilovers, but pretty much all my Saturdays are taken up through May 12. Maybe I can go Sunday only. I just did a Sunday Autox with the Los Angeles chapter and had to leave before the timed runs, but in theory my practice run times would have been good enough for 1st or 2nd place in the "6 mod" category (assuming I drove the same didn't hit any cones). The best "M-stock" drivers were still 5 or 6 seconds faster than me, pulling 67s and 68s compared to my 73s and 74s. I believe the CCA 6-mod category in San Diego is more competitive than in Los Angeles.

FYI, Sunday will not have timing. Saturday is the day for timed runs, Sunday is just for free runs on the course and to show the kids who will be at the teen Street Survival school how performance driving is done.

LivesNearCostco
03-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Oh that's a tough one then... I want to practice but also want timing to compare myself against the other 6-stock/6-mod cars so I can see if I'm improving, and if these coilovers let me drive faster. Next Los Angeles CCA chapter AutoX is not until May 20th.

Hermes
03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Are you going to Chuckwalla this weekend for HPDE?

LivesNearCostco
03-15-2012, 07:52 PM
No, I spent too much money on track days, tires, gas and coilover conversion kit while my family was out of town. It was like 5 track days and 1 AutoX in 5 weeks, plus new rear brake pads for the BMW and new front brake pads for the minivan. The cost of all the gas didn't register until I got my credit card bill. And I'm looking at buying a used M3 strut bar ($200) and maybe two new coilover springs ($118 + shipping & tax). However, I am expecting a tax refund, so hopefully at least one track day in April.

Will you be at Chuckwalla? I have never driven that track.

I've done many of the San Diego CCA AutoXes but never the two-day event. So if I go Sunday, is there no timing at all? Or just no official timing and no trophies, but still timing lights and a time display?

LivesNearCostco
03-26-2012, 12:52 PM
I plan to be there Sunday as a volunteer for the Street Survival School. I won't be teaching them how to drive but I might be flagging a start gate or moving around cones or something. Will be interesting to see how good, or bad, the teenage driving is. My own daughter will be a candidate for this school in about... 9 years.

Unless they tell me tonight they don't need another volunteer, then I will register to run on Sunday and test out my new coilover springs.

Hermes
03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
No, I spent too much money on track days, tires, gas and coilover conversion kit while my family was out of town. It was like 5 track days and 1 AutoX in 5 weeks, plus new rear brake pads for the BMW and new front brake pads for the minivan. The cost of all the gas didn't register until I got my credit card bill. And I'm looking at buying a used M3 strut bar ($200) and maybe two new coilover springs ($118 + shipping & tax). However, I am expecting a tax refund, so hopefully at least one track day in April.

Will you be at Chuckwalla? I have never driven that track.

I've done many of the San Diego CCA AutoXes but never the two-day event. So if I go Sunday, is there no timing at all? Or just no official timing and no trophies, but still timing lights and a time display?

sorry, didn't see this until now. I didn't go to Chuckwalla and after seeing the dustbowl pictures from that day I'm glad I didn't

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/486594_3117035719193_1063495210_32524965_121567888 3_n.jpg

From what I understand there won't be any timing at all on Sunday. I'm not sure if there will be unofficial timing on that day.

I plan to be there Sunday as a volunteer for the Street Survival School. I won't be teaching them how to drive but I might be flagging a start gate or moving around cones or something. Will be interesting to see how good, or bad, the teenage driving is. My own daughter will be a candidate for this school in about... 9 years.

Unless they tell me tonight they don't need another volunteer, then I will register to run on Sunday and test out my new coilover springs.

Cool, I'm sure you'll have a good time as a volunteer. I just hope my new rotors and pads come in this week so I can go this weekend.

LivesNearCostco
03-27-2012, 09:10 AM
For your E30 or ZHP? I think today is the last day to register online. If you can't get your car done and want to drive on Sunday, you can drive my car. Just pay for the gas and promise not to hit any light posts or corner workers. Then you can tell me if my new spring rates are too harsh.

M0nk3y
03-27-2012, 09:11 AM
You should see a E36 M in Boston green there with Ohio Plates...

That is if he is actually going to do it like he said.

Sent using mental telepathy

Jp, my friend will be there as he said. Look out for him if you could and show him the ropes if he needs anything. It would be appreciated, as always

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Hermes
03-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Sounds good, let him know I have a feeling we will be in the east lot so I doubt he will get out of third if they set it up the way they did last time