PDA

View Full Version : Trailering tie downs

bcleaver
03-08-2012, 08:23 PM
So planning on trailering the car to further away races this year and am starting to do some research about how to secure the car to a trailer. From what I've found so far it appear one should use t-hooks in the jack-pad locations and somehow cross the straps. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this they could share and maybe even some pictures. Any knowlege share appreciated.

The how-to but not incredibly user friendly http://www.tunnellracing.com/thookTN.html

murph
03-09-2012, 05:54 AM
I think if anyone knows how, tunnell should.

The one time my car ended up on the trailer the straps went through the wheels, but I wouldn't recommend that approach. The tow hooks got plenty of use at an ice event one time, and I can verify they do their job. ;)

danewilson77
03-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Tires straps and ebrake.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

brettbimmer
03-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Dane, did you mean these?

This is close to asking how best to tie down a boat to a trailer, meaning that if you ask 10 different people, each will give you a different answer.

This thread might be somewhat helpful, though I am not sure running the straps through the interior of the car is the best idea (though good for a laugh).
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/510676-trailer-tie-down-points-early-911-a-4.html

IMHO, one key area often overlooked is to make sure that your tie down points on the trailer could take a serious amount of strain in the event of an evasive maneuver at speed while underway.

danewilson77
03-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Yup.

Johnmadd
03-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Tire straps ftw, car should not be secured by body or drivetrain other than the tow hooks, but wheels are enough.

zj96sc
03-09-2012, 11:06 AM
There is a lot of information available on this topic across google. You'll get a different answer from anyone you ask, but remember these basics:

- securing by the chassis is less desirable as it relies on the current ride height to maintain tight fit. hit a bump, suspension compresses, straps go loose. = BAD

- if securing by the chassis, cross your ties

i recommend tire straps or straps through the wheels as well.

whatever you do make sure you get high quality non-frayed straps and properly sized and fastened points on your trailer to match.

bcleaver
03-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'd really like to try the t-hook idea.

1. sounds like it's the method reccomended by bmw
2. getting the over the tire web tie down would be very difficult given my ride-height
3. strapping through the wheels has on occasion (like when hitting big bumps) been known to actually damage wheels depening on how you tie to them.

So I guess my question was pretty specific as to how to use t-hooks correctly. It's not something I feel comfortable using the old trial and error method.

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

Johnmadd
03-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Still vote the the tire strap.

danewilson77
03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'd really like to try the t-hook idea.

1. sounds like it's the method reccomended by bmw
2. getting the over the tire web tie down would be very difficult given my ride-height
3. strapping through the wheels has on occasion (like when hitting big bumps) been known to actually damage wheels depening on how you tie to them.

So I guess my question was pretty specific as to how to use t-hooks correctly. It's not something I feel comfortable using the old trial and error method.

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

I was under the impression, the tow hooks were designed for pulling.... Axial movement. Don't know how they'll hold up radially.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

brettbimmer
03-10-2012, 10:04 AM
^The towing eye(s) will bend if pulled at an angle - have a bent one if you need a pic.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

danewilson77
03-10-2012, 10:37 AM
^The towing eye(s) will bend if pulled at an angle - have a bent one if you need a pic.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

This is exactly why they aren't a good "tie down" option.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

bcleaver
03-11-2012, 01:09 PM
T-hooks, not the towing hooks. The t-hook is a special tie down attachement that goes into the frame where the jackpads are.