PDA

View Full Version : CEL caused by ambient temp sensor... Interesting find.

Chad44
03-08-2012, 09:25 PM
So, I had a messed up Maff Air Flow sensor on my car because a PO decided to cut away the plastic mesh for some reason.

A month or so ago I got a CEL saying "mass air system", and I assumes that the MAF had finally had an effect on he car, so I replaced it, cleared the codes, and the code came back 20 mins later... Wtf.

As part of another messed up story, my driver lower fender liner had been broken and ripped off by a branch in a snow storm, and my temp sensor had nowhere to mount. I hung it up inside he bumper and went about my business. One day it fell down while driving, and dragged on the ground. It weould give all kinds of random temps on the dash, super cold when the sensor was wet and 122 when dry, and randomly in the middle.

One day I noticed the sensor was working correctly, and later in that same drive, my check engine light went off, then the the temp went all screwy the next time I started the car, the CEL came back on.

Today I replaced the fender liner and temp sensor, I will update if the CEL comes back again... But I don't think it will.

Sent from Tapatalk

danewilson77
03-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Great stuff. It's the odd, random, unthinkable idea's and solutions, on this forum.....that keep the family cars in tip top shape. Thanks for sharing.

Chad44
03-10-2012, 11:19 AM
So far, so good... no more CEL.

So, if you are getting a check engine light, take a glance at your temperature through the instrument cluster display and take note if it seems off... it just might save you the cost of parts or troubleshooting... the sensor is like $20, a new MAF is $350, and a used one is $100+... just add this to the "odd problems you never would have thought of" vault...