PDA

View Full Version : Car Keyed, need body shop... Worcester, MA area

Chad44
03-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Well, my car got vandalized today and I'm looking to find a good paint shop locally. I have heard good reviews for years on sansossio's, but also some not so good... I've never had major paint work done, and want my Imola Red ZHP to look perfect when it's done... it will probably need 75-100% respray since it was keyed on almost every panel. and they stomped the hood and broke my mirror...

What I'm hoping to do: get a check from the insurance company, buy some of the parts myself(upgrade to m3 mirrors, and maybe an m3 bulge hood?) then have the body shop take care of the rest and make the car perfect... I don't want to see any over spray, runs, transitions, etc... this is my baby and I have put $6k in parts into it in the last 9 months, only to have this happen to it...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated... I don't mind driving a little ways for a great shop that understands my needs and wants...

Hermes
03-09-2012, 01:58 PM
A few things...

#1 - good luck with this, I'm sure your car will look amazing once resprayed. High quality before and after pics or ban...

#2 - M3 hood is designed for a pre-facelift vehicle, there are slight mods necessary. Ask Kris (SH330Ci) what he had to do, he has one on his car

#3 - mirrors require a different mod depending on which version you buy, ask Charlie (cakM3), he'll tell you what you need to do

#4 - I honestly hope the guy messed with your bumper so you can get that resprayed nice and fresh, did he?

#5 - what is your opinion on a Shadowline roof? I think it would look amazing on your car. Also, you could just paint it Imola then vinyl wrap it in Shadowline

cakM3
03-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I got the text from Chad about this....I'm really mad that people do this to other's car. It would be nice if they left finger prints on the car for the police to get...

Hope these slimes get nailed....

Chad, when you are ready to do the ///M3 side mirrors let me know. I'll be happy to help you out :thumbsup

Tapatalk + iPhone4

Chad44
03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
I had never looked into the hood before a few minutes ago, but had seen them on prefacelift... Now that I see there is no ready made aftermarket hood, I'll just stick with oem... I'm not looking to go crazy, just thought if it was easy; i'd upgrade...

I'm looking up the info on the mirrors, but will text charlie as well.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the bumper, but honestly didn't look at it... will check in a few minutes.

I do have the shadowline trim, and have thought of wrapping the hood in black vinyl in the past... I may very well do this as part of the transformation process...

Also, whether it's covered by insurance or not, I'm going to have the bumper fixed and resprayed, then doing a clear bra on the whole front end...

Chad44
03-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm glad you mentioned the bumper... I hadn't even noticed, but it looks like they stepped on the lower section of the bumper to step onto the hood or something... my brand new lower grille is smashed and the lip is kind of distorted... i don;t know it it can be fixed or if they will need to replace the bumper.

Nomar06
03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Sucks to hear about the car. Hopefully everything goes well.

ryankokesh
03-09-2012, 02:50 PM
my gawd that's awful....

cakM3
03-09-2012, 03:36 PM
there should be justice for jerks like that......baseball bat justice comes to mind, Chicago style :)

danewilson77
03-09-2012, 03:39 PM
there should be justice for jerks like that......baseball bat justice comes to mind, Chicago style :)

How about Submarine Style... Back in Shaft Alley?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Chad44
03-09-2012, 04:02 PM
I've been doing research on a bunch of fronts, and have just come to find out that I do not have the bmw performance insurance that I thought I had... When I went to liberty mutual, I specifically asked about it and after a little searching the person said okay, and it was all set... but now I find out that it's not possible to have it for residents of Massachusetts and Washington... Now I'm going to get stuck with bullshit aftermarket parts... WTF!!!!!
I hope to insurance company doesn't try to fvck me over... man, my blood is boiling again already...

Hermes
03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Chad, is it possible to do it if you pay the difference between aftermarket and OE(M)?

cakM3
03-09-2012, 04:17 PM
How about Submarine Style... Back in Shaft Alley?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Exactly DW, I have a hard time grasping why people have to be this stupid and do something like this? Wouldn't it be nice if these people got caught in mid act?

Johnmadd
03-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Can you post some pics of the damage?

Chad44
03-09-2012, 06:00 PM
I will take photos tomorrow, my camera battery was dead and I just wanted to deal with all the insurance crap first... I already ordered m3 mirrors off ebay($292 shipped, manual fold, heated, memory), so that's a start... My problem isn't with the non oem parts, because yes I will pay the difference to get them... my problem will be that I have to pay the difference to have oem parts replaced with oem parts... If it comes to that, I'll be ordering all my own parts and their body shop will not be making a penny on the parts... but who knows if they'll give me crap over that... I'm going to try to stop thinking about it until i get it appraised, otherwise I may be stressing myself out over nothing.

Mtnman
03-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Damn chad. I am really feeling your pain. that sucks so bad. i hope you get this worked out. i would be so pissed right now. the damage is one thing, but the insurance issue on top of that is just salt in the wound. i hope it all works out for you.

iZHP
03-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about this; is all I can say.

Chad44
03-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Well, so far I will say that liberty mutual is handling the claim very well, I went to talk with their closest "preferred" auto body company, precision auto body in Marlborough ma, and will say that the manager or owner or whatever that I spoke with made me very comfortable with bringing my car there.
Looks like they will be painting everything but the roof and trunk at this point.

Tomorrow, I'll be bidding on a 92' e30 318i convertible, that I can drive while my car is in the shop... I've always wanted an e30!

Sent from Tapatalk

Johnmadd
03-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Cool on the e30, let us know how that goes. I would see how much more to do the trunk and roof, if they're already 9doing 90% of the car I would definitely ask.

cakM3
03-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Chad,

That's great news, thanks for texting me earlier today :thumbsup

I hope you will be getting the E30 :)

Chad44
03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101251472935703528827/Vandalism?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMO1l5611bDFeg&feat=directlink

Hornung418
03-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Wow dude. That's horrible!

Meric
03-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Oh god. I can't imagine what I would do if I catch them in action.

yura
03-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Wow, that's not just "getting keyed" - someone put serious effort into damaging as much of your car as possible. Brutal. I'd very likely end up behind bars if I ever caught someone doing that to my car.

Best of luck with the repairs!

cakM3
03-14-2012, 01:33 AM
Chad,

I'm sorry to see that you had to go through this. I would have gone postal on those idiots if I caught them in the act....probably would have ended up in jail as a result....its amazing just how unreal people can get from being jealous.....:facepalm

Good part is that your ZHP will come out from this "refreshed" and looking good :thumbsup

zhp43867
03-14-2012, 02:02 AM
It looks like it's going to be almost entirely re-sprayed from the pictures... though I don't know if any parts besides your kidney and lower grill need to be replaced.

That's terrible. Good luck!

static667
03-14-2012, 02:41 AM
I know my car isn't exactly perfect, but if I were to catch someone doing that to it, I wouldn't be seeing the light of day as a free man ever again. Sorry this happened, Chad. If nothing else, karma will come around and get this guy for you.

pfr
03-14-2012, 03:00 AM
Terrible, Chad!
Hope the bodyshop is as good as it seems and you'll have a nice "new" car again.

- Peter

danewilson77
03-14-2012, 03:30 AM
Damn. They went to town on your car. Smh. No ideas on who did it huh?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Jon D
03-14-2012, 03:48 AM
Bummer

It does look like a total paint job needed.. with a good shop you'll end up with a car that looks better than new... hopefully you filed a police report.. if you find who did it - i.e. a stupid facebook posting.. it could be a real charge against them due to cost of repair..

Good luck

Pip
03-14-2012, 04:04 AM
the pictures made me want to cry. good luck.

nk_zhp
03-14-2012, 05:15 AM
Hey Chad, long time no see... Those pics make me ache. Hope it all works out. I have been a long time customer of Dick's Autobody in Somerville. These guy do outstanding work. The downside, is that they take their time but if you ask me, if you are going to keep the car for a while longer then it's worth it. Ask for Jeff in the office and tell them Norik sent you (if he doesn't recall, you can tell him they recently painted an evo spoiler for an white E30 M3).

Let me know how it goes. Hope to see back on the runways soon.

Chad44
03-14-2012, 05:38 AM
If I had caught someone in the act I would be in trouble because i would have killed them; but now I'm looking at it as I'm getting all my paint imperfections corrected for $300 (my deductible). My hood and front bumper needed paint badly, they are planning to fix the hood and will look at the bumper when they take the car on the 26th.
My m3 mirrors are shipped and will be here any day, now I need to order glossy shadow line kidneys and I'll be all set.

Sent from Tapatalk

Chad44
03-14-2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the info Norik, I ended up scheduling with an auto body shop that was approved through my insurance company just to make the process a bit more seamless.

Sent from Tapatalk

nk_zhp
03-14-2012, 05:52 AM
Good luck man. That's right, you are going to have a brand new looking ride for 300 bucks... I'd take that :)

onepercent
03-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Good attitude. Good luck with everything!

johnnyrad
03-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101251472935703528827/Vandalism?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMO1l5611bDFeg&feat=directlink

Wow! That is a disgrace that a human being would do that.

WOLFN8TR
03-15-2012, 04:04 PM
WOW! :eyetwitch

Dude those photos made me sick. Why is it people can not respect a persons property. I can only imagine how you felt. Wouldn't it be soooo sweet to catch the Azzholes in actiion.

A few months ago I had all the door dings removed from my ZHP. Tuesday I come out from work and some POS 4 door Ford Explorer was parked pretty close to my car. Well he opened both doors and hit my passenger side, two nice door dings! And apparently set something on my hood while getting out of his POS Explorer and scratched the crap out of my hood. Although not nearly as bad as your car I do feel your pain. I felt like keying the shit out of his car but I (unlike most people) respect another persons property. So I just poured 10-40 motor oil all over the windows. Made me feel alot better.

Good Luck with your repairs. :thumbsup

cakM3
03-15-2012, 04:06 PM
WOW! :eyetwitch

Dude those photos made me sick. Why is it people can not respect a persons property. I can only imagine how you felt. Wouldn't it be soooo sweet to catch the Azzholes in actiion.

A few months ago I had all the door dings removed from my ZHP. Tuesday I come out from work and some POS 4 door Ford Explorer was parked pretty close to my car. Well he opened both doors and hit my passenger side, two nice door dings! And apparently set something on my hood while getting out of his POS Explorer and scratched the crap out of my hood. Although not nearly as bad as your car I do feel your pain. I felt like keying the shit out of his car but I (unlike most people) respect another persons property. So I just poured 10-40 motor oil all over the windows. Made me feel alot better.

Good Luck with your repairs. :thumbsup

As bad as this sounds.... I would have done the same thing.....

WOLFN8TR
03-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Ya I know but at least he can clean the oil off.

:waldo

Chad44
03-18-2012, 08:44 PM
I had a guy do that to my truck. Slammed his door into my truck so hard it set my alarm off, I had a 2-way and was alerted, left the restaurant, took photos and waited for him to come out... Then had his insurance company pay for the repairs... Had he left a note I would have went about my business and buffed it out myself and lived with the ding... But he walked away so I made his insurance pay for his misdoings.

Sent from Tapatalk

danewilson77
03-19-2012, 04:51 AM
I had a guy do that to my truck. Slammed his door into my truck so hard it set my alarm off, I had a 2-way and was alerted, left the restaurant, took photos and waited for him to come out... Then had his insurance company pay for the repairs... Had he left a note I would have went about my business and buffed it out myself and lived with the ding... But he walked away so I made his insurance pay for his misdoings.

Sent from Tapatalk

Like a Boss.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

cakM3
03-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Chad,

After looking at my freshly painted Imola parts, I can only imagine just how awesome your ZHP will be after being resprayed. It will look awesome :)

Can't wait to see pics of it when it is done :thumbsup

Chad44
03-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Chad,

After looking at my freshly painted Imola parts, I can only imagine just how awesome your ZHP will be after being resprayed. It will look awesome :)

Can't wait to see pics of it when it is done :thumbsup

+1,000,000,000,000

Sent from Tapatalk

Chad44
04-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Some updates! I think I lucked out with the body shop- they have been great so far. Visited it today, hood and rear bumper are repaired, new front bumper is ready for paint, they will be starting on the sides of the car tomorrow... Will have the car by next weekend they say.

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c165-8470-a61d.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c165-8484-4487.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c165-8494-234c.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c165-84a3-dbd9.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c165-84b7-23ef.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

cakM3
04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Chad,

Nice to see progress is being made to your ZHP! :thumbsup Thanks for the text updates :)

Chad44
04-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Some photos sent to me from the body shop, it's still there- hoping to get it back end of day tomorrow, but could be after that. http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-arQS5hpEj7A/T5b__RqYUJI/AAAAAAAAFE0/ALkDvcdPodI/s1024/IMAGE_3B0FA0EE-ED9C-4928-B1E4-64ED3D842EBA.JPG
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lnNsLhZ-aeI/T5cACy5xEdI/AAAAAAAAFFE/kiNI-LOeGRM/s1024/IMAGE_09D6D698-71AE-4C84-BA03-B45237765F7A.JPG
http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7SJi_zTL-ZA/T5cAKko4u0I/AAAAAAAAFFk/wOVjHVMxtPY/s1024/IMAGE_1B6DDBA7-49D3-4B5A-ACB9-FB2E00201948.JPG

Sent from Tapatalk

carsontl
04-24-2012, 11:43 AM
i love seeing the steps/process of a car getting paint!

Sorry it happened but atleast you came out the other side for $300. I'm doing it myself currently and I'm in it about $1250 so far.

cakM3
04-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Are you having all your M3 side mirrors painted Imola, including base plates?

Chad44
04-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Charlie, I noticed the same thing when I looked at that photo, but if you zoom in you can see that the base plates are taped up... I would have expected them to take the shells off to paint them, but they're the paint pros...

Sent from Tapatalk

cakM3
04-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Chad,

I expected the same thing but I'm guessing this is easier for them to tape rather than taking the shells apart to paint. When I painted my mirrors, I took them apart and had the shells separately painted.

Nivo
04-25-2012, 06:06 AM
looking good Chad

Ryans323i
04-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Lookin' good. Can't wait for you to get her back!