PDA

View Full Version : Shark Injector??? How do I Tell???

kayger12
01-01-2011, 06:47 PM
I got an informative PM the other day from another member who test drove my car a few weeks before I bought it.

His opinion is that my car might have had either the Shark injector or some other kind of software update as he had driven several different ZHPs over the last few months and this one stood out as noticeably faster than the others.

So my question is this-- is there any way to determine if some type of upgrade like Shark has been done?

Alphatek45
01-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Wonder if the software recognizes and maybe registers the vin? Would prevent multiple uses. May contact the manufacturer?

AAZHP
01-01-2011, 06:59 PM
I got an informative PM the other day from another member who test drove my car a few weeks before I bought it.

His opinion is that my car might have had either the Shark injector or some other kind of software update as he had driven several different ZHPs over the last few months and this one stood out as noticeably faster than the others.

So my question is this-- is there any way to determine if some type of upgrade like Shark has been done?

The Shark Injector Tune usually come with some sort or handle device that is plugged into the vehicle's OBDII Port and loaded. I have a custom tune on my ZHP from Active Autowerke and a way I can instant tell if a vehicle has been tuned is by the throttle response. The factory file has just a sluggish response one the throttle is flipped. Let me know if that helps.

kayger12
01-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Wonder if the software recognizes and maybe registers the vin? Would prevent multiple uses. May contact the manufacturer?

Good thought. Can definitely give that a try. Thanks

The Shark Injector Tune usually come with some sort or handle device that is plugged into the vehicle's OBDII Port and loaded. I have a custom tune on my ZHP from Active Autowerke and a way I can instant tell if a vehicle has been tuned is by the throttle response. The factory file has just a sluggish response one the throttle is flipped. Let me know if that helps.

I'll pay careful attention to the throttle response tomorrow. Might have to wait until I hook up with another ZHP for comparison purposes before I can really tell.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-01-2011, 07:17 PM
I imagine you can also get a dealer, or indy, to check to see if your software has been altered. The person checking should be able to tell whether the ECU has been modified.

kayger12
01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Good thought-- wonder how that would affect the CPO Warranty that I'm still under...

AAZHP
01-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Having it checked at the Dealership is kinda tricky to do since you have CPO Warranty Remaining. Because the Dealer will charge you minimum 1.0 Hour for Diagnostic Fee and may or may not void your remaining warranty all depending on the tech and shop foreman that is working on your car.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-01-2011, 07:29 PM
I didn't realize you were still under CPO. Find a buddy at an indy shop. See if they can check for you.

That said, I had a Shark on my first BMW ever. Car was under warranty. Used to take it to the dealer all the time. Jim Conforti seems to have had a good relationship with BMW. Never had any issues.

Do you have a tech you work with at the dealer, Keith?

kayger12
01-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Yeah-- under CPO until September 2011.

Have never set foot in a dealer for a repair. Did everything on the 325i myself.

Was planning on taking it into the local dealer soon to start the battle over the vanos rattle. It's slight, but it's there. If it wasn't under CPO I would just do the Vanos seals/rattle myself, but if I can get a new unit dropped in under warranty, might as well.

Figure I'll have to go through a few cycles of the, "we don't hear anything, can't reproduce it" garbage.

AAZHP
01-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I didn't realize you were still under CPO. Find a buddy at an indy shop. See if they can check for you.

That said, I had a Shark on my first BMW ever. Car was under warranty. Used to take it to the dealer all the time. Jim Conforti seems to have had a good relationship with BMW. Never had any issues.

Do you have a tech you work with at the dealer, Keith?

Funny that you mentioned aftermarket companies working with the Dealership. Actually couple of my friends from my local BMW Dealership was telling me Dealerships are starting to removing Dinan Products. Which makes sense since they want to increase to Market on the "BMW Performance Group" Products. The Active Autowerke Performance Software is undetectable to the Dealership unless you physically tell the Dealership "Hey I have Performance Software in my car" at that point the Dealership will be more than glad to void your warranty and charge you a Arm and Leg for any basic service.

Yeah-- under CPO until September 2011.

Have never set foot in a dealer for a repair. Did everything on the 325i myself.

Was planning on taking it into the local dealer soon to start the battle over the vanos rattle. It's slight, but it's there. If it wasn't under CPO I would just do the Vanos seals/rattle myself, but if I can get a new unit dropped in under warranty, might as well.

Figure I'll have to go through a few cycles of the, "we don't hear anything, can't reproduce it" garbage.

I would recommend recording a video of the cold start vanos rattle and then take it into the dealership and get that done before the warranty expires. If they don't do anything about it make sure you have them put it writing and send it off the BMW NA.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Funny that mentioned aftermarket companies working with the Dealership. Actually couple of my friends from my local BMW Dealership was telling me Dealerships are starting to removing Dinan Products. Which makes sense since they want to increase to Market on the "BMW Performance Group" Products. The Active Autowerke Performance Software is undetectable to the Dealership unless you physically tell the Dealership "Hey I have Performance Software in my car" at that point the Dealership will be more than glad to void your warranty and charge you a Arm and Leg for any basic service.

I live about 15 miles from a dealership that is a Dinan dealer. It's great being able to bring my car in under warranty, realizing that I won't have any trouble at all. It's one of the reasons I went with Dinan. The dealer supports the line; makes life easy.

kayger12
01-01-2011, 08:09 PM
I would recommend recording a video of the cold start vanos rattle and then take it into the dealership and get that done before the warranty expires. If they don't do anything about it make sure you have them put it writing and send it off the BMW NA.

Will do. Good advice. Appreciate that.

Tampa330i
01-01-2011, 10:00 PM
The shark is plugged into the connector under the gas pedal, and then a small controller wire is connected to the shark. I was just watching a video of the install for the shark, though I don't have one yet myself. One more thing to add to the wish list.

Tampa330i
01-02-2011, 05:36 AM
My bad on the above, I was watching the sprint booster video, not shark. I haven't looked into the shark yet.

ZSP-Mafia
01-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Easiest way to check would be to see if you can rev past 6800? I can't remember what the stock ZHP rev limit is.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Rev limit is 6800 on ZHP.

pyreguy
01-03-2011, 06:04 PM
It's 7000 with the Shark Injector. If you do have the programming, its a shame you don't have the little computer thing that plugs into your OBD port. That's where your stock programming would live now.

kayger12
01-03-2011, 06:27 PM
It's 7000 with the Shark Injector. If you do have the programming, its a shame you don't have the little computer thing that plugs into your OBD port. That's where your stock programming would live now.

Was just reading up on that. Gonna just have to get on her one of these days and see if I run up against the limiter at 68...

az3579
01-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Was just reading up on that. Gonna just have to get on her one of these days and see if I run up against the limiter at 68...

Tested mine today. Very limited at 6800...

AAZHP
01-04-2011, 08:38 PM
I live about 15 miles from a dealership that is a Dinan dealer. It's great being able to bring my car in under warranty, realizing that I won't have any trouble at all. It's one of the reasons I went with Dinan. The dealer supports the line; makes life easy.

Dealerships in California tend to be more Dinan Friendly oppose to Dealerships on the East Coast. I completely agree in warranty stand point as for pricing... "No Comment" ;)

Will do. Good advice. Appreciate that.

Anytime Captain :)

The shark is plugged into the connector under the gas pedal, and then a small controller wire is connected to the shark. I was just watching a video of the install for the shark, though I don't have one yet myself. One more thing to add to the wish list.

Under the gas pedal is most likely a Sprint Booster which increases the throttle response. BMW has programmed in the factory DME to restrict throttle settings to reduce "wheel spin" when full throttle is engaged. For Example: When 100% throttle is engaged the computer reads out only ~70%.

Yes, the Shark Injector has the ability of raise the Rev Limiter to 7K but honestly it does not provide all of the benefits of having a "Performance Tune". With the Active Autowerke Performance Tune I have on my ZHP it is tuned the Performance Bolt On Modifications I have on the vehicle which include my Gruppe M CAI, Performance Headers & Performance Exhaust System. Also my Software tune is configured to the 93 Octane that we have available here in Florida providing efficient consumption of gasoline, along with off-road options such as CEL Delete (For Performance Headers) and Removal of Top Speed Governor to cross the 155+MPH BMW has equipped.

Those of you looking for Performance Software Please feel free to reply or PM me with any questions and I will be more than glad to help out the ZHP community. :hi

Kudos
01-07-2011, 01:38 PM
So even if mash the gas pedal, I only get 70 percent of the available power at the wheels? What a jip. Anyone know what the power is at the wheels for our car stock?

Marcus-SanDiego
01-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I always figure we have parasitic loss of 15% with manual. Maybe 18-20% with auto. 235x0.85=199.75 hp at the wheels with 15% loss.

pyreguy
01-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Yes, the Shark Injector has the ability of raise the Rev Limiter to 7K but honestly it does not provide all of the benefits of having a "Performance Tune". With the Active Autowerke Performance Tune I have on my ZHP it is tuned the Performance Bolt On Modifications I have on the vehicle which include my Gruppe M CAI, Performance Headers & Performance Exhaust System. Also my Software tune is configured to the 93 Octane that we have available here in Florida providing efficient consumption of gasoline, along with off-road options such as CEL Delete (For Performance Headers) and Removal of Top Speed Governor to cross the 155+MPH BMW has equipped.

Those of you looking for Performance Software Please feel free to reply or PM me with any questions and I will be more than glad to help out the ZHP community. :hi

I'm not a salesperson, but the Shark Injector is a performance tune that uses 93 octane fuel and removes the factory governor.

az3579
01-07-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm not a salesperson, but the Shark Injector is a performance tune that uses 93 octane fuel and removes the factory governor.

And sharpens up throttle response. By how much is arguable.

pyreguy
01-07-2011, 03:55 PM
I noticed a difference in acceleration, but the biggest thing was that it smoothed out the torque curve dramatically. I'm happy with it. It increased my smiles-per-gallon.

az3579
01-07-2011, 04:02 PM
I noticed a difference in acceleration, but the biggest thing was that it smoothed out the torque curve dramatically. I'm happy with it. It increased my smiles-per-gallon.

Did it get rid of the annoying jerking while accelerating slowly in first gear? :shifty
I drive as smoothly as I can, so I know it's not me...

danewilson77
01-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Did it get rid of the annoying jerking while accelerating slowly in first gear? :shifty

Gawd I hate this. Really!

kayger12
01-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Well, mine doesn't do this. Another clue perhaps?

Larry Driver
01-10-2011, 09:36 PM
I have a shark on my m3. It does give quicker throtle response and a lot better feel . Don't know about hp but a lot more fun to drive. Also better gas mileage, have Sean 29 mpg on long trips @ 2800 rpm.

kayger12
06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Well-- time to resurrect this puppy.

Being down around the Sharked ZHPs in Williamsburg had me thinking that I really need to know if mine has the Shark installed or not.

I decided to shoot the fine folks over at Shark an email and see if there's any easy way to tell if my car has the shark installed-- maybe a record of VINs, for example.

Here's what I got back:

There is a possibility it has a Shark Injector on it, however there is no
way for me to tell you yes or no on that. We don't ask for a VIN at any
time during the process, so I have no idea there.

The only real way to find out is to see where the rev limiter is. The Shark
Injector raises the limiter to 7000rpm. You need to hold it on the limiter
for a few seconds to allow the tach to catch up. It is kind of crude, but
that is the only way to detect the use of aftermarket software.

Thanks,
Justin

So, as much as its gonna give me agida, it looks like I'm gonna have to bounce her off the limiter...

danewilson77
06-14-2011, 03:44 PM
LOL.....sounds like fun

Marcus-SanDiego
06-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Have fun bouncing it off the limiter. Interested to see what you find.

johnrando
06-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Can't wait!

kayger12
06-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Looks like tomorrow will be the day to find out.

Car hasn't been started since she got home from Williamsburg.

She misses everyone as well.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

az3579
06-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Looks like tomorrow will be the day to find out.

Car hasn't been started since she got home from Williamsburg.

She misses everyone as well.

Blasphemy!

kayger12
06-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Blasphemy!

Hehe.

BCS_ZHP
06-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Keith,
I was too new to what the Shark could really do when I test drove your beast last Oct, but I believe I bounced against the limiter. And when you get up that high be ready, I stayed in it and couldn't hardly row the gears fast enough, the acceleration response was fantastic. Have not experienced that in any other ZHP I've driven, and I've driven more than a dozen different ones. Enjoy!
B

kayger12
06-15-2011, 02:12 AM
Keith,
I was too new to what the Shark could really do when I test drove your beast last Oct, but I believe I bounced against the limiter. And when you get up that high be ready, I stayed in it and couldn't hardly row the gears fast enough, the acceleration response was fantastic. Have not experienced that in any other ZHP I've driven, and I've driven more than a dozen different ones. Enjoy!
B

Those are beautiful words, Bruce.

Appreciate the heads up and the info as always.

aurelius
06-15-2011, 06:50 AM

Gawd I hate this. Really!

az & dane: would be interested to hear if either of you guys know with certainty whether your cars still have the CDV (clutch delay valve). Or at least whether you did when posting the quotes above...

NOTE: not all manual E46 models had a CDV installed on the clutch hydraulic line. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which ones did. Neither of my E46 sedans had a CDV from factory.

danewilson77
06-15-2011, 07:25 AM
I took my CDV out....so I know it's not there.

johnrando
06-15-2011, 08:35 AM
I took my CDV out....so I know it's not there.

Maybe somebody snuck in and put it back. Might be worth checking... :dunno

:-)

Hornung418
06-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Aurelius, I don't have a CDV...and I also have the judder in 1st. I believe we need to change the Flex Disk and Center Mount to fix.

Keith, what's the status on the DME? Shark or no Shark?

bimmeryota
06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I would say that the throttle response is going to be the key difference in telling if it has something.
My car has the Dinan performance software which I believe in many ways is the same as the shark injector except I know that Dinan keeps a record of which car has their software. Mine is way out of warranty so it's not really a concern to me but if it somehow gets wiped I can always go back and have it reinstalled. Next to the UUC shifter, it's my favorite modification since it seems to bring the car alive at low speeds. I don't feel any difference in midrange and higher RPMs.

kayger12
06-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Keith, what's the status on the DME? Shark or no Shark?

Didn't get a chance to check it out yet.

Most likely not until tomorrow.

I'll post up as soon as I know.

kayger12
06-15-2011, 05:36 PM
It's official boys and girls... I'm Sharked!!

Just got back from a drive. Bounced it off the limiter at 7 grand.

Gotta be either the Shark Injector or some other kind of software on there.

Kudos to Bruce for hitting that nail on the head on his original test drive of this car.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread over the past few months.

It was a fun mystery.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Nice to know, KG. Good work bouncing it off the limiter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/sharked.jpg

kayger12
06-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Thank you, sir!

Hornung418
06-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Haha...Couldn't wait, could you ;) Bet it feels good to know what you have now!

kayger12
06-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Haha...Couldn't wait, could you ;) Bet it feels good to know what you have now!

Lol, nope.

Yeah, definitely happy to put this one to bed.

One less thing that I have to buy.

johnrando
06-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Great news. Glad that's done for you.

BCS_ZHP
06-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Keith,
Glad to hear you have confirmation. I knew it had to have the Shark, it was just too fast. Now that you have the intake & the Shark, time to complete the trifecta with a better flowing exhaust. Think about it.
Bruce

BCS_ZHP
06-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Keith,
Glad to hear you got confirmation. Now that you have the intake and Shark, time to think about an exhaust to complete the trifecta. Know of one that's subdued for us older guys and it made a big difference on one of my earlier E46s.
Bruce

kayger12
06-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Keith,
Glad to hear you have confirmation. I knew it had to have the Shark, it was just too fast. Now that you have the intake & the Shark, time to complete the trifecta with a better flowing exhaust. Think about it.
Bruce

Appreciate the advice, Bruce. Any recommendations?

I don't know too much about exhaust mods- new territory for me. I'll certainly start reading up, though.

Hornung418
06-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Start with headers and a Euro2 DME flash. Shark will still be present after the Tune, I believe.

BCS_ZHP
06-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Keith,
I did an HKS exhaust, cats back, on an '00 323ci. Cats are in the exhaust manifolds on an E46, so if you don't touch the exhaust manifolds you don' have to worry about adding cats to pass emissions testing.

For aftermarket exhaust, you have to decide on back pressure and the sound you want. The HKS is two pipes with two separate resonators, converging into one larger pipe to increase back pressure but eliminate two resonators, then the muffler and two exhaust tips. Its a pleasant burble, not too loud until you rev it, and no annoying drone at highway speeds of 3K-3.5K rpms. The fitup/installation was perfect, uses all of the stock hangers/attachment points, its all stainless, and the exhaust tips are blued -- very pretty and professional.

No one carries the HKS for our cars anymore. I know one guy who has two systems left, I want one and he owes me right now, its about $800-900 for the system. Want me to try to work him to see what I can get the last two systems for -- one for each of us?
Bruce

kayger12
06-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Appreciate the info and the offer, Bruce.

I'm gonna do some reading up on everything.

I'll let you know.

BCS_ZHP
06-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Keith,
For comparison, the HKS is not nearly as loud as UUC, more around the Borla sound but even a bit more mellow but definitely a sweeter sound than our stock exhaust.

The guy owes me for a brake parts screw up here recently, he sent me two wrong Brembo rotors and I had to buy some non-Brembos locally to finish the job on the coupe the day after my Williamsburg trip. He's told me he's going to give me dispensation for their mix up, currently investigating why I ended up with the wrong rotors, so I'm thinking if he'll sell me both HKSs for $1K, I'll eat the extra $200 I spent in rotors -- basically $600 each for a whole system and you can hardly buy just an upgraded muffer for that. And if you don't want one, great, and if not, no harm no foul, I know of a couple of another guy who is interested.

BCS_ZHP
06-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Just re-read that, meant if you want it great, and if not, no problem. Up in Wisconsin on business, did a company dinner and extended happy hour, the typing fingers aren't connected very well to the brain housing group.

kayger12
06-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Looks like a great deal, Bruce.

Leaning towards pulling the hook on it.

Gonna do some reading tomorrow.

I'll shoot you a pm by tomorrow night.

Thanks again.

Johnmadd
06-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Sounds like win to me, 600$ stainless steel is a little less than my ie e30 catback, and I love it.

kayger12
06-17-2011, 12:53 PM
PM headed your way, Bruce.

zhpnsnv
06-17-2011, 12:59 PM
So what do we know about the Shark? What exactly does it do to timing/fuel mixture/etc... in order to increase power? Also, does it increase power, or does it increase throttle response (or both)?

Marcus-SanDiego
06-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Marc, I think this was an informative threads on the Shark. http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?867-Shark-Injector-Installed

zhpnsnv
06-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Read the thread and any FAQs I could find. Still a mystery as to how the power is found. Maybe I'm the minority, but I'm interested in the "how" as much as the "what" of these gains.

Hornung418
06-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Simplest terms: the AFR is lowered and the VANOS timing is adjusted. Typically, a production car is let off the line with an AFR of about 14.7:1. The Shark Injector leans that ratio out so more air is in the chamber at the time of combustion. It is adaptable to mods and if you add a CAI or something to that nature, it will run even leaner for a bit till it finds the balance of the new setting. I'm not sure what that ratio is, however. The VANOS is a whole other mystery. VANOS is variable to +/- 6 degrees of advancement or retardation of the Camshafts; JC's Shark Injector somehow alters the stock setting so that with the 500/200 rpm increase, the engine can make the most of what it's got. With the DBW throttle, I'm sure there is a slight increase of response to that as well.

Hope I was of help :)

zhpnsnv
06-17-2011, 01:58 PM
So let's say I like to drive on the track - is leaning out the mixture a safe thing to do?

kayger12
06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
From some digging I was doing:

It has been dyno-tested to provide a safe increase in power by altering fuel enrichment, cam timing and ignition timing specifically for use with premium gasoline. Not only is part-throttle fuel and spark re-mapped, other areas of chips other tuners don't touch are re-mapped - such as acceleration enrichment, transition fueling, how the car responds to rapid change in pedal, and VANOS control as needed to optimize the vehicle for operation on premium fuel

spencers
06-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Start with headers and a Euro2 DME flash. Shark will still be present after the Tune, I believe.
No, it'll overwrite the shark.

Hornung418
06-17-2011, 03:45 PM
No, it'll overwrite the shark.

Unfortunate for Keith :(

Spencer, are you aware if the same is true for the opposite?

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.

Crickett
06-17-2011, 03:50 PM
So let's say I like to drive on the track - is leaning out the mixture a safe thing to do?

I wouldn't see why not; as long as you're running high enough octane (92+), leaning shouldn't hurt.

spencers
06-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Unfortunate for Keith :(

Spencer, are you aware if the same is true for the opposite?

Yes, it holds true either way. DME code is DME code is DME code. It's all overwritten anytime you write to it. You cannot add to it.

Hornung418
06-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes, it holds true either way. DME code is DME code is DME code. It's all overwritten anytime you write to it. You cannot add to it.

So would you agree that an AA tune is the only way to keep the headers 'leagally' (and I mean that in the loosest of terms) and get the performance upgrade?

RootedDROIDXstatus. Come at me, bro.