PDA

View Full Version : Headlights

shadowpuck
01-02-2011, 04:55 PM
just curious.....

those of you that didn't get factory xenons - have you upgraded?

i've got halogens on my zhp, and i'm considering the idea of xenons. i put them in my
e34 and have them in my e36 - they're amazing.

in reading around the various forums, it looks like the choices are aftermarket or OEM.

any thoughts?

i'm normally biased against most aftermarket stuff, however; i've had some pretty good success with aftermarket xenon retrofits....

Marcus-SanDiego
01-02-2011, 05:01 PM
I also have halogen lights. The PO did not opt for xenons. I've already yelled at him for that. Ha!

I'm in the same boat as you. I will be upgrading to an aftermarket xenon unit. It's not on my priority list at the moment, so I have not got serious about the decision. I'm told that DDM has some good options.

There is also this, though: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?521-Lighting&p=8227#post8227

shadowpuck
01-02-2011, 05:14 PM
great link - thank you for posting that.......

*laughs*

that thread pretty much summarizes my research.
a fellow ZHP owner here in the area (i've told him about this awesome forum) had the projector bowl burn out issue on his ZHP and opted for the lightwerkz upgrade. it was amazing, the difference.

i've purchased from DDM before - the lights on my e36 came from them. for the price, hard to beat, but i did have to resolder some wiring before they worked..... so, you get what you pay for.....

I also don't really want angel eyes - just don't think its necessary. so, that generally rules out aftermarket since they almost always come with AE.

OEM makes sense, but it seems like its a crapshoot as to the quality of the item you are buying since its used, and in some instances, possibly stolen.
Obviously, new OEM just doesn't make sense financially.

If I could find an OEM set at the right price I'd probably go with a lightwerkz upgrade and call it good.......

Marcus-SanDiego
01-02-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm leaning toward Lightwerkz as well.

danewilson77
01-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Just dont get ZKW's....

kayger12
01-02-2011, 06:31 PM
I thank God every time I open my hood and see that AL symbol there...

shadowpuck
01-02-2011, 06:35 PM
agreed.....although, if they were the right price (ie, cheap and complete) I'd consider buying a set of ZKW's with the idea to have a lightwerkz retrofit done immediately...

az3579
01-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Definitely getting an FX-35 retrofit, and I already have the Xenons (ZKW) -- what does that tell you? lol

You can't go wrong with the Lightwerkz setup.

jjcools
01-03-2011, 09:41 AM
There was another thread on this on Fanatics I think and there is another light company out of the Bay Area that does somthing similar to lightwerkz. I will try and find the name for you.

jjcools
01-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Sorry, it was bf.c.

The place is Umnitza
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1544152&highlight=zkw&page=3

adb1028
01-03-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm confused here, do you already have projectors with halogen bulbs? Or do you have the crappy reflective halogen bowls like the ones on my car?

Marcus-SanDiego
01-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm lucky. I have the projectors with halogen bulbs.

az3579
01-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I thought that if you had projectors, you have Xenons? How could you have projectors without Xenons in them?
Or is this a coupe vs. sedan difference? In the sedan, I haven't seen a single one with projectors that didn't have Xenons...

Marcus-SanDiego
01-03-2011, 01:47 PM
I thought that if you had projectors, you have Xenons? How could you have projectors without Xenons in them?
Or is this a coupe vs. sedan difference? In the sedan, I haven't seen a single one with projectors that didn't have Xenons...

Not sure of the answer, BP. Xenons were an option.

Projectors did come with this particular coupe. Not sure if they were standard. Guessing they were.

danewilson77
01-03-2011, 01:51 PM
You are mis-understanding him, Boss...

Marcus-SanDiego
01-03-2011, 01:57 PM
I can't speak to the sedan. Apparently the coupe did come with projectors and no xenons, though.

danewilson77
01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
lol...................I have always equated projectors TO Xenons......

Marcus-SanDiego
01-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Heck, me too, DW. I couldn't believe there were projectors on this car and that halogens were the light source.

az3579
01-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Heck, me too, DW. I couldn't believe there were projectors on this car and that halogens were the light source.

This has to be a sedan vs. coupe difference then. All sedans I've seen so far that had projectors were Xenon-equipped. I've never seen a coupe that looked like it had Halogens, so they all must have projectors regardless of whether it's Xenon or not.

Just when you thought you knew it all, you learn something new... lol

Marcus-SanDiego
01-03-2011, 02:15 PM
BP, exactly. I'm always learning something new on this site. I'm putting xenons on this car soon.

shadowpuck
01-04-2011, 06:56 AM
yes, it appears that coupes received projectors.....
however, sedans it appears were optional - at least at parts of the production run. i believe, but haven't confirmed, that at some point in the sedans the ZHP package forced inclusion of Xenons.

i've already harassed my car's PO (and good friend) about cheaping out on the xenons.....:)

at least i haven't driven the e36 for a while (has DDM Xenons in it); that'll make me immediately consider swapping the halogens in the ZHP.

i'm comfortable with the swap, and can handle any computer/wiring that might need to be done - should be minimal - now it's just a matter of getting lucky on the right set of OEM lights so they can get the FX-R swap......

az3579
01-04-2011, 06:59 AM
i'm comfortable with the swap, and can handle any computer/wiring that might need to be done - should be minimal - now it's just a matter of getting lucky on the right set of OEM lights so they can get the FX-R swap......

It would be interesting to see if they can modify the stock halogen housing for it. They're changing the projectors anyway and it has to be modified regardless, so it would be worth asking them if they could modify your housing to make them fit.

shadowpuck
01-04-2011, 07:02 AM
that's something i've been thinking about as well. i don't know if they could source/supply the igniters, etc......but, that's a great idea and a good question to pose to them. my current lights are fine, other than the lenses need to be replaced. i've polished them and they are ok, but that'd be the perfect time to replace them.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-04-2011, 07:12 AM
i've already harassed my car's PO (and good friend) about cheaping out on the xenons.....:)

Me, too. Jeff is a good sport about it. Fact is, Jeff paid cash for this car when it was new. Ain't like he didn't have the scratch to kick in for an additional $700. He simply thought that the xenons were not worth it.

Most of my cars have had xenon, so I find it tough to live without them.

shadowpuck
01-04-2011, 07:17 AM
understood. i think there was a period in time where xenons (like other technologies) were considered just a pricey upgrade without much benefit......

jjcools
01-04-2011, 07:24 AM
SOB! I noticed one of my headlights was dimmer than the other but never checked it after that, so last night I went our to check and baaammmm. Al on one side and zkw on the other.

My only guess is the PO had one side replace under the CPO. Add another $$$$ to the list of needs.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-04-2011, 07:25 AM
SOB! I noticed one of my headlights was dimmer than the other but never checked it after that, so last night I went our to check and baaammmm. Al on one side and zkw on the other.

My only guess is the PO had one side replace under the CPO. Add another $$$$ to the list of needs.

Now that fricken sucks. When I swap stuff like that, they both get changed at the same time. Now you see why.

az3579
01-04-2011, 07:26 AM
I don't see that headlight having been replaced under warranty. The dealer wouldn't make that mistake of putting in an entirely different and incompatible brand. How would they have not noticed that it's different from what's already there? Isn't the AL incompatible with a ZKW wiring/ballast setup?

shadowpuck
01-04-2011, 07:35 AM
i think, note *think*, you can use either without regard to wiring.....not 100% certain on that, though.

i do agree, though, i doubt it would be a dealer situation. any chance the vehicle has had any body work or anything?

danewilson77
01-04-2011, 07:57 AM

That is quite the dorky solution. My bet is PO did not know there were 2 different manufacturers...

nk_zhp
01-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Folks, I wanted to add a word or two regarding an alternate lighting type in case some readers might find it interesting. For my E30 M3 I wanted to upgrade the lighting but leave it halogen based because I like keeping it old school. After looking at some options I finally decided to go with Philips X-treme Vision bulbs. The best thing about these is that they are standard wattage bulbs and will not fry your electric system over time. These bulbs are not sold in US however powerbulbs.com ships them here for free. They do come in correct left hand drive configuration. The light output of these is pretty awesome. Those of you that want to stick with halogens but upgrade the output this might be a good option.

shadowpuck
01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
interesting - thank you for the info.....

i've bookmarked that information.....

Alphatek45
01-04-2011, 03:46 PM
I think this is the direction I'm going. My clears came in from Khoalty, and I need to put the whole exterior lighting thing to bed already.

DEPO P46 Sedan, 02-05, Raptor 35W, 5K, Ultra HD
Bulb Color: 5000K
Angel Eyes: DDE Ultra HD (+$119.95)
HID Manufacturer: Raptor 35W
Model: 02+ Facelifted Sedan (+$50.00)

DDM Tuning $460 shipped

Opinions welcomed.

danewilson77
01-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Are you sure you wanna go 5k?

jjcools
01-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Why not 5K?

I am interested in the opinions cause I am going to have to do something also. I would like to go depo but have heard rumors of poor output.

Alphatek45
01-04-2011, 03:54 PM
5K , according to the chart, was a clean white light. Kinda what I'm going for, but not dead set on. Why?

danewilson77
01-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I just thought 6k...was better...thats all.

shadowpuck
01-04-2011, 03:55 PM
my only concerns with aftermarket are poor output and fitment.

in terms of output, i had no problems with lights from Umnitza in my e34, or DDM in my e36. don't know how that translates to the e46 world. so, that's an unanswered question for me, which is why i've been staying close to the OEM plan.

as to fitment, my e36 lights took some adjusting to get them to fit. it wasn't totally plug and play, but also wasn't impossible. the e34 was pretty good as well.
in both instances, i could tell they weren't OEM.

as to temperature choice - my preference is to go lower than 5k - around 4300 is where i went on the e36 and was very happy with it. the wife wanted 6k on the e34, it was fine, but i prefer the temperature on my e36 setup.......

as i recall, i think most OEM lighting is around 3400-4300 as well.....

Alphatek45
01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x356/Alphatek45/hid-color-chart-projector.jpg?t=1294185344

pyreguy
01-04-2011, 03:56 PM
I got to ride in Mtnman's car at night and saw the Depos. They are Xenon and did just fine at night. Plenty bright, I was actually impressed.

pyreguy
01-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Looking at that picture, I think 5k would be where I would wanna be.

danewilson77
01-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Hook it up. Thats what I say....then I may follow suit.

Signed,

Another ZKW victim

jjcools
01-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Ditto, I may be shortly behind you guys so let me know.

zhp43867
01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
You guys overblow the zkw issue. Yeah it sucks, but keep in mind that at 0 miles zkw>AL as far as output by a good shot.

Ddm is good for E36s but stat away from their E46 headlights, especially the facelift coupe ones.

az3579
01-05-2011, 03:02 AM
You guys overblow the zkw issue. Yeah it sucks, but keep in mind that at 0 miles zkw>AL as far as output by a good shot.

Ddm is good for E36s but stat away from their E46 headlights, especially the facelift coupe ones.

Yet 0 miles ZKW lights cost a lot of money, making it a poor purchase decision considering they'll crap out on you soon enough.

danewilson77
01-05-2011, 03:44 AM
This^

zhp43867
01-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Yet 0 miles ZKW lights cost a lot of money, making it a poor purchase decision considering they'll crap out on you soon enough.

This^

I'm not saying that you should buy zkw's... I'm just saying that the "god help us" type statements are a bit much.

Also saying that if you have zkw's or halogens go with AL or a retrofit (Lightwerkz), not a full depo headlight setup. The P46 doesn't get much love.

az3579
01-05-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm not saying that you should buy zkw's... I'm just saying that the "god help us" type statements are a bit much.

Well, considering it is a very common problem and is a rather safety-related issue that BMW refuses to admit is a problem (like they did with the HPFP issues in the N54-equipped cars 'till they finally broke down and admitted it), it isn't really blown out of proportion at all. It's all fun and games 'till you hit something that you didn't see as a result of poor lighting.

The AL retrofit is an option, but if I'm going to spend money on a retrofit, it's going to be an FX-35 kit. Those light up the road better than even the AL's based on the pics I've seen.

danewilson77
01-05-2011, 06:59 PM

Also saying that if you have zkw's or halogens go with AL or a retrofit (Lightwerkz), not a full depo headlight setup. The P46 doesn't get much love.

Thats because its not OEM, and has a higher failure rate...

danewilson77
01-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Well, considering it is a very common problem and is a rather safety-related issue that BMW refuses to admit is a problem (like they did with the HPFP issues in the N54-equipped cars 'till they finally broke down and admitted it), it isn't really blown out of proportion at all. It's all fun and games 'till you hit something that you didn't see as a result of poor lighting.

The AL retrofit is an option, but if I'm going to spend money on a retrofit, it's going to be an FX-35 kit. Those light up the road better than even the AL's based on the pics I've seen.

FX-35 FTW!

zhp43867
01-06-2011, 01:39 PM

I doubt it's anywhere near as common as the HPFP. Also it takes effect with a good amount of age on the cars (5+ years), I doubt BMW ever will admit their fault or do anything about it.

Cars that had zkw xenons? Probably 40% of facelift E46 sedans, maybe less. (Seems most zhps have zkws, I haven't seen many zkw non zhp facelifts)

Yes they do indeed. I have the FX-R retrofit (used to have zkw) and we've had multiple E46s with AL Xenon's.

Thats because its not OEM, and has a higher failure rate...

Yeah I know that... I know a bunch of people who've had them, then uninstalled them and have them just lying around because they don't like them.

As you may know, I made a teaser thread that no one understood here a few days ago about headlights. I have a 2004 facelift 330 with the alternative supplier OEM zkw xenon headlights. While these headlights were actually far better than Bosch/AL Xenons from most BMWs when new. They quickly showed a fatal flaw. The back projector bowl burns out and becomes translucent or worse. This is documented here:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524781&page=5

Anyway I got a lighting retrofit done by Lightwerkz in Clifton, New Jersey and the new lights are amazing! They used brighter FX-35 projectors modified with a crystal clear xenon lense, and the results are outstanding. Look em' up on google. Big props goes out to Caesar of Lightwerkz as I threw him for a loop because of my financial situation. These I believe are better than any xenons available stock on any vehicle sold now. These are 35 watt who-knows-how-old bulbs for those of you wondering. Here are some after pictures:

The headlights have not been aimed yet. :P

There is a hill on the left side of my driveway. Low beam
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5985/p1040088m.jpg

High Beam:
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7803/p1040089l.jpg

Low Beam:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4352/p1040092r.jpg

High Beam:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3782/p1040094b.jpg

Here are some before pictures. These headlights were so bad I didn't drive the car at night. They only cast an eerie glow on the road for a short distance. The fog lights put out about 2x as much light as this.

High Beam:

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5357/p1040060.jpg

And here are some before and after pictures of the look of the headlights :excited:

Lights on Before:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8170/p1040054tt.jpg

After:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1734/p1040096yi.jpg

And some shots of the new lights, full review coming soon in the lighting forum.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/5750/p1040076l.jpg

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3829/p1040077h.jpg

I think I was one of the first to do the Lightwerkz retrofit for the zhp.

You don't need to learn me any knowledge. :)

az3579
01-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Yes they do indeed. I have the FX-R retrofit (used to have zkw) and we've had multiple E46s with AL Xenon's.

So, in your opinion, was it worth the cost? (Just looking at pics I'd say yes but I'd like a firsthand answer)
After all was said and done, how much was spent?

Mtnman
01-07-2011, 07:28 PM
My experience.... I had zkw and replaced with p46 depos from ddm tuning almost exaclty a year ago. I got the 6k bulbs and am happy with the lights. Barely purple over white, which i wanted. I got standard angel eyes (no upgrade) because i wanted the orangeish tint to them like the old 5 series had, and that is what they look like. I have some minor complaints, but at 330 shipped to my door, i got my monies worth, and i got the look i want. If you want a pic showing colors let me know and ill set it up.

danewilson77
01-07-2011, 07:40 PM
.........................I have some minor complaints, but at 330 shipped to my door, i got my monies worth, and i got the look i want. If you want a pic showing colors let me know and ill set it up.

Splain pls.

Mtnman
01-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Well, one of my lenses has some spiderwebbing already. It isnt cracked all the way through nor does it seem to alter light output, but i see it every time i look at my lights. I also think the pattern of light output is not as good as factory. Not output in general, but the actual focusing of light. I could have opted for the 55w bulbs instead of the 35w and that may override the focus vs output issue by adding mass wattage. I didnt like having to mount the ballasts with double sided tape to the inside of my bumper. Neither one has moved in a year...and i bought the best 3m tape i could find, but i liked the original mount that was incorporated innthe actual housing. Eventually, i am banking on losing one of those ballasts.... But it might be 4 years.
Maybe that rambling makes some sense to some of you. Either way, if it werent for my fog lights, i would not have been able to see at all at night with the zkw's......so i did not have the option of doing nothing.
Ramble over.
David

danewilson77
01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Sounds good. Nice post. Appreciate it.

az3579
01-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Either way, if it werent for my fog lights, i would not have been able to see at all at night with the zkw's......so i did not have the option of doing nothing.
Ramble over.
David

Here's the sad thing.
Fog lights do not help light up the road beyond maybe 10 feet of the car. What's worse is that without the fog lights, you can't see anything.
Now that is pathetic. ZKW FTL. (Damn, maybe that should've been my custom plate lol)

zhp43867
01-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Yes Lightwerkz is worth the cost. I recently got around to aiming them correctly and it made them that much better. I would have done the 55W upgrade on reflection.

It is expensive. I don't remember my total price, I got a discount and then payed for priority service. Anyway my pricing is not what the pricing is now, and he doesn't want me to disclose it when I post about my lights.

I have thought about trying my hand at DIYing a projector retrofit, and writing a DIY for you guys. The FX can be done DIY but it is a large projector and not that easy to work with, the retrofit source has some other projectors I would use (slightly less output, easier to install). If I can find a cheap used set of busted ZKWs I will do that for y'all.

Linh
01-08-2011, 08:15 AM
I believe all coupes that came with Xenon were AL's. And sedans had a mixture of ZKW's and AL's.

Fortunately my 03 build came with AL's and true, cutoff isn't as sharp as the ZKW's in their prime.

Anyway Lightwerkz is having a group buy on the FXR's, $480 plus return shipping for the setup.

Its either this or just retrofit a different lense into the AL's.

Tampa330i
01-08-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm having this exact same problem, but I have ALs. Without my fogs on, I doubt I could drive at night. When I first turned the high beams on, there's so little output I couldn't tell they were on.

Linh
01-08-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm having this exact same problem, but I have ALs. Without my fogs on, I doubt I could drive at night. When I first turned the high beams on, there's so little output I couldn't tell they were on.

You are actually the first I've heard having light problems with the AL's. Are you sure your's are 100% AL's and not one with retrofited ZKW parts with AL's lenses/caps?

Tampa330i
01-08-2011, 08:43 AM
I haven't had to take them out yet, but the covers say AL.

zhp43867
01-08-2011, 09:02 AM

Take a picture of the xenon projector. I'm guessing you have AL covers on ZKW lights.

az3579
01-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Anyway Lightwerkz is having a group buy on the FXR's, $480 plus return shipping for the setup.

Damn it. Of course after I spent money on something else.:mad

danewilson77
01-08-2011, 10:00 AM
You are actually the first I've heard from having light problems with the AL's. Are you sure your's are 100% AL's and not one with retrofited ZKW parts with AL's lenses/caps?

Maybe they just need to be aimed appropriately?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Linh
01-08-2011, 10:04 AM

A way you could check to see if you actually have the AL projectors, is in the projector itself. Look at the lense, if you see a line going across it, you have AL's/Bosch's.

If its a clear lense, then ZKW's.

danewilson77
01-08-2011, 10:07 AM
You sure about dat?

Linh
01-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Pretty sure. . . Bosch/AL lense have a line going across the projector.

ZKW's don't and have the clear lense, which should explain the crisp cutoff's.

Mtnman
01-08-2011, 10:16 AM
If someone just changed his lenses, then the sticker on the light housing stself should still say zkw. That would be where I would start....

Tampa330i
01-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Does anyone have a link to some pics on removing headlight housings? I'll take it out far enough to see the top so I can know once and for all which kind I have. I'd really like to be able to see at night when driving :)

danewilson77
01-09-2011, 06:51 AM
Just posted real quick. I didn't read it though....

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/lighting-diys/15484-e46-headlight-removal.html

az3579
01-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Just posted real quick. I didn't read it though....

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/lighting-diys/15484-e46-headlight-removal.html

That's for a facelift coupe.

danewilson77
01-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Damn it....

danewilson77
01-09-2011, 07:12 AM
This should help out.

http://www.impee.co.uk/bmw_headlight_removal.htm

kayger12
01-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Damn it....

Helpful for me, though. Bookmarked- thanks!

Tampa330i
01-09-2011, 07:49 AM
This should help out.

http://www.impee.co.uk/bmw_headlight_removal.htm

Thanks! I think I need to see one step further. I need to get to the top of the assembly to see the label.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-09-2011, 08:03 AM
I believe all coupes that came with Xenon were AL's. And sedans had a mixture of ZKW's and AL's.

Fortunately my 03 build came with AL's and true, cutoff isn't as sharp as the ZKW's in their prime.

Its either this or just retrofit a different lense into the AL's.

Linh, do you have a link for the group buy?

zhp43867
01-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Marcus- I believe that he can still do the retrofit for facelift coupes but something he said hinted at it being more difficult for him. Just FYI. Maybe it had to do with retrofitting facelift coupes that already had xenons...

Marcus-SanDiego
01-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks, sir.

Linh
01-09-2011, 09:39 AM
It was thru email comfirmation, so no link.

Maybe post up the email?

Marcus-SanDiego
01-09-2011, 10:16 AM
It was thru email comfirmation, so no link.

Maybe post up the email?

Send me the email if you'd like or feel free to post. Either way works.

danewilson77
01-09-2011, 07:24 PM
New retrofit available. Gotta give this guy props. I read it fast....but someone needs to spend time investigating this.

This is hot off the presses.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1585551

Linh
01-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Yes, that post uses AL's lenses. If you check out the lense, you will notice a line going across the projector.

Here is the copy/paste of the email Caesar sent me:

Hi Linh

We have a group buy rate of $480 plus return shipping on the FXR conversion which is the main conversion we offer on the e36/46/39
Turn around is two business days on our end.
Let me know if you have any other questions, we are ready to begin asap.

jjcools
01-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Who is Caesar? Lightwerkz?

Marcus-SanDiego
01-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Caesar Rowinski works at Lightwerkz.

Linh
01-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Caesar Rowinski works at Lightwerkz.

+1

zhp43867
01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Dane, I wouldn't go to that effort to retrofit Bosch projectors. I'd at least like an upgrade with all that work.

danewilson77
01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
okay......

az3579
01-11-2011, 02:57 AM
Dane, I wouldn't go to that effort to retrofit Bosch projectors. I'd at least like an upgrade with all that work.

This. Doesn't make sense to put work into it that doesn't really make it worthwhile.

danewilson77
01-11-2011, 05:11 AM
Roger....so...the diy just puts in another bad set. I didn't read much of it.

aidan530
01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Roger....so...the diy just puts in another bad set. I didn't read much of it.

Well its not that they are bad, there just not as good as it could be. I did the fxr retrofit and I will say it was not as easy as I thought it would be. I got it done and am very happy I didn't go depo or just use al lights. Though putting the whole al frame in would probably be easier just to modify it then it would be to cut and dremel your existing frames to fit something that was not meant to fit in such a small space.
Edit: I just saw the group buy from lightwerkz, I spent 150 on projectors and 25 on shrouds (the old ones as soon as I touched it the chrome smeared off and when I tried to make it fit over the projector the vibration from the dremel made the rest fall off). I would gladly pay the difference to have it done professionally.

Linh
01-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Yes, AL lights aren't bad but their performance compared to the FXR projectors is midocre at best. So if your thinking about opening up your headlights for a retrofit, might as well do it once and do it right.

BTW, I think the group buy price is very reasonable. I just wish I didn't want to do so much to the zhp right now: maintenance, tires, suspension. . . retros. It's almost never ending. Hah.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Yes, AL lights aren't bad but their performance compared to the FXR projectors is midocre at best. So if your thinking about opening up your headlights for a retrofit, might as well do it once and do it right.

BTW, I think the group buy price is very reasonable. I just wish I didn't want to do so much to the zhp right now: maintenance, tires, suspension. . . retros. It's almost never ending. Hah.

Once you catch the mod bug, it's tough to shake.

Linh
01-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Yep, it's pretty much addicting

Btw Marcus, your E92 is gorgeous. Tastefully done.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Yep, it's pretty much addicting

Btw Marcus, your E92 is gorgeous. Tastefully done.

Thank you, sir.

danewilson77
01-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Well its not that they are bad, there just not as good as it could be. I did the fxr retrofit and I will say it was not as easy as I thought it would be. I got it done and am very happy I didn't go depo or just use al lights. Though putting the whole al frame in would probably be easier just to modify it then it would be to cut and dremel your existing frames to fit something that was not meant to fit in such a small space.
Edit: I just saw the group buy from lightwerkz, I spent 150 on projectors and 25 on shrouds (the old ones as soon as I touched it the chrome smeared off and when I tried to make it fit over the projector the vibration from the dremel made the rest fall off). I would gladly pay the difference to have it done professionally.

How long did the fxr retro-fit take you?

aidan530
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
How long did the fxr retro-fit take you?

All total it took me about 10 hours on the first and about 3 on the second. There was a serious learning curve on the first one. I will say it is a good thing I don't have to drive it because in cutting the first frame I cut out a little bit to much before I figured out how I was going to mount them, so I had to get a new frame. Which luckily found on ebay for $15 plus shipping that was I think $4. If I had to do it again I could do it in a lot less time. And I may using a different projector/lens setup.

danewilson77
01-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Damn..I would need to be able to get that done in about a day...

az3579
01-11-2011, 03:33 PM

In theory it's possible, but you have to have a veeeeery detail writeup, patience, and some know-how to get it done. Not to mention a full day to dedicate to it.

aidan530
01-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Well I have another idea for you. Maybe say you found one of the frames that holds the projector, do your dremeling and mount the projector and then all you would need to do is take your headlight apart, take the old frame out and put the new frame in with the new projector mounted in it. BMW E46 ZKW Xenon Headlight Reflector frame OEM (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574947307&toolid=10001&campid=5336776893&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2F02-05-BMW-E46-ZKW-Xenon-Headlight-Reflector-frame-OEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5190c79d39QQitemZ35032 1351993QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries)

This is the person that I got mine from. They only have the one right now, but I have been watching for a year now and I have seen them come and go.

Now don't get me wrong there are some things you would need to worry about: like how the projector sits in the frame in relation to the shroud, height, and rotational alignment. If you are serious and would like to try this I have got a pair of old shrouds that are just sitting in the garage you could use to mock up on the new frame. The chrome has fallen off and they look bad but you could paint them black and use them or just use your existing ones. Or you could just get replica ones like I did. The chrome looks better and is much sturdier.

I say rotational alignment is the hardest thing to get right, but like I did mine I can still adjust that if I wanted to. I did not use jb weld.

danewilson77
01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Let me srsly think about this before I commit. Thanks for the offer.

aidan530
01-11-2011, 04:21 PM
No problem, and I can always answer questions for you if needed while you are doing it.

az3579
01-11-2011, 07:22 PM
It seems like a lot of work and is outside my technical knowledge. Darn; was thinking *maybe* it would be a DIY project for me...
You're saying there are issues with alignment and getting the projector to sit right. I'm not creative enough to do that. lol

zhp43867
01-11-2011, 07:59 PM
It seems like a lot of work and is outside my technical knowledge. Darn; was thinking *maybe* it would be a DIY project for me...
You're saying there are issues with alignment and getting the projector to sit right. I'm not creative enough to do that. lol

In talks with Matt at TRS racking his brain about any options that would be more bolt in than the FX-R.

aidan530
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
There are smaller and easier to mount projectors that they have but the light output and spread is not going to compare to the fxr. The fxr is actually a pretty good fit for our frames.

Tampa330i
01-18-2011, 11:51 AM
I just confirmed the badge of shame on my headlights. Someone replaced both covers with AL, but the headlights are in fact zkw. This explains the extremely poor light output. Now, what to do about it...

kayger12
01-18-2011, 11:55 AM
That sucks. And an incredibly pre-meditated douche bag move on the part of whoever did it.

shadowpuck
01-18-2011, 12:01 PM
I just confirmed the badge of shame on my headlights. Someone replaced both covers with AL, but the headlights are in fact zkw. This explains the extremely poor light output. Now, what to do about it...

if the problem is due to the projector bowls "burning out," and that's most likely the problem. the best option seems to be a projector retrofit from a place like lightwerkz. a fellow ZHP owner, and good friend, had this same problem on his '04 ZHP.

sent his lights to lightwerkz and had the upgrade performed - very happy with the service and results. I can't believe how nice his lights are now.

I'm now contemplating something similar to upgrade my stock halogens.

Tampa330i
01-18-2011, 12:24 PM
I'd love to, but I need these headlights on my car on a daily basis. I also had trouble getting them out. I need the entire housing to come out, and I see 2 8mm bolts on the top, but there's something holding it on underneath that I can't get to. How do you get the housing out?

aidan530
01-18-2011, 04:59 PM
The lenses are interchangeable, but for some reason the zkw ones are more expensive. ?????

aidan530
01-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I'd love to, but I need these headlights on my car on a daily basis. I also had trouble getting them out. I need the entire housing to come out, and I see 2 8mm bolts on the top, but there's something holding it on underneath that I can't get to. How do you get the housing out?

There is 2 more bolts underneath. You can get to them with a long extension, and a flashlight to find them, but you need a magnetic one so you don't drop the bolt down to the deep, dark, depths, of the splash shield.

Mtnman
01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Ha. Do not drop the screws! I spent 30 minutes with a magnet at the end of a stick to fish out one that i lost doing this. The lower screws are by far the hardest part. Just because you have to be careful, not because it is knuckle breaking. When i did the depo install, it took about 2 or 2.5 hours to do the whole thing, out ond in.

Tampa330i
01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Depo are not bi-xenon, correct?

Mtnman
01-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Correct. They are xenon, but do not have the shutter function to create the high beams from the xenon bulbs.

Tampa330i
01-18-2011, 07:12 PM
How do your high beams work? Did you have to do any reprogramming or just not use high beams? Also, whats the wiring like, plug and play? Do the angel eyes come wired?

Mtnman
01-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Push stalk forward and nothing happens. If u pull it back towaards you, the halogens light up (called flash to pass). That still works fine. If I need a high beam, I just hold the stalk back.

Tampa330i
01-22-2011, 10:44 AM
So I'm shopping around for headlights, looking at umnitza right now, http://umnitza.com/index.php . Did anyone know these guys sell depo headlights with the possibility of a retrofit built into them + angel eyes and whatnot all pre-wired? Here's what I built, although I can't afford it at the moment:
Projector46 Premium Sedan 2002-2005 Facelifted with Orion
- Car Type Sedan
- Xenon FX-R Retrofit with Adapter
- Pre-Installed FX-R Retrofit
- Car Model 2002-2005 3-series Sedans
- Clear Film Protection No Thank You
- Bulbs No Thank You
- Angel Eyes Predator Orion V2
- Xenon Fogs No, I do not wish to have Xenon fogs with my order
Sub-Total: $654.98
2) Bulbs - When ordering bulbs for non-Xenon optioned headlights, you will need 2 sets. If you are ordering Xenons, we include the bulbs free.

How much would it cost to have this done to your current headlights via lightwerkz? If the only problem with depo is the projector... can choose whatever one you want here. Seems like a decent price for the housing, fx-r projectors & orion v2s. $40 shipping, so $700 total and only downtime is installation.

bimmer848
01-22-2011, 11:26 AM
So I'm shopping around for headlights, looking at umnitza right now, http://umnitza.com/index.php . Did anyone know these guys sell depo headlights with the possibility of a retrofit built into them + angel eyes and whatnot all pre-wired? Here's what I built, although I can't afford it at the moment:
Projector46 Premium Sedan 2002-2005 Facelifted with Orion
- Car Type Sedan
- Xenon FX-R Retrofit with Adapter
- Pre-Installed FX-R Retrofit
- Car Model 2002-2005 3-series Sedans
- Clear Film Protection No Thank You
- Bulbs No Thank You
- Angel Eyes Predator Orion V2
- Xenon Fogs No, I do not wish to have Xenon fogs with my order
Sub-Total: $654.98
2) Bulbs - When ordering bulbs for non-Xenon optioned headlights, you will need 2 sets. If you are ordering Xenons, we include the bulbs free.

How much would it cost to have this done to your current headlights via lightwerkz? If the only problem with depo is the projector... can choose whatever one you want here. Seems like a decent price for the housing, fx-r projectors & orion v2s. $40 shipping, so $700 total and only downtime is installation.

i did this menu type order when i bought my depo's for my e36. i used www.understeer.com i dont know how their prices compare but i have had mine for 3 years and they are just great! i think they are a little less $$ than umnitza which i why i used them iirc?

Tampa330i
01-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Only difference there is you can't change the projector type, which from what I understand, doesn't compare to the fx-r.

Tampa330i
01-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Here's a guide I was looking for, a complete removal and reinstall of the headlight assembly: http://www.umnitza.com/gallery/album49

shadowpuck
01-22-2011, 11:16 PM
high beams can be fixed in software, if needed.

personal preference for me is i don't want angel eyes; seems like all the aftermarket lights come with angel eyes.

i also have a tough time convincing myself to spend that kind of money on depos. once again, just my own personal opinion.
i did buy a set of lights from umnitza for our e34 - worked great, no issues.

understeer - at least in the past, sold DDM Tuning lights.
i have a set of those in the e36. i'm happy with them, although they didn't arrive plug and play; i had to redo some wiring on the passenger side light (not on the car side, that was all fine) as it was DOA in the box. found bad solder joints and fixed it in about 5 minutes.

i've heard nothing but positive about lightwerkz.

still haven't made a final decision on mine. was pretty strongly considering OEM, now considering OEM with a projector retrofit - may do it myself or have lightwerkz do it.

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 12:04 AM
I'd prefer to get my own lights retrofitted, but the downtime is far too long. Shipping my lights to cali and back would either take forever or cost a fortune. Even overnighting them both ways, I'd still have gaping holes in the front of the car for a few days. Is the depo housing all that different from the zkw or AL housing? Would the fx-r projector in the depo housing not be as good as an fx-r projector in the zkw housing?

shadowpuck
01-23-2011, 12:12 AM
well, lightwerkz is on the east coast; but can certainly understand not being able to have the downtime.

i think the depos with a retrofit would be fine - most anything will be an improvement from where you are.
i have no personal experience with retrofitted projectors in depos - so i don't know what (if any) issues would arise.
i'm somewhat concerned about fitment - the lights on my e36 haven't ever fit quite right. now, the e34 was totally fine.....

i'll also admit to having a perfection problem when it comes to this kind of stuff......:)

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 12:55 AM
I thought they were in cali, looks like they're in NJ. Still, I'd expect at least 3 days of downtime even with overnight shipping both ways. I think this is the only retrofitted depo i've seen thus far - it's only offered on the 'premium' depo version on umnitza. Mtn has depos, maybe he can comment on the fitment. From what I've read, the p46 should have no fitment problems. Some way or another I need new projectors, as of now I'd be better off holding a flashlight out the window pointing forward. I'm leaning towards these umnitzas unless I find something better by the time I can afford it.

Mtnman
01-23-2011, 07:23 AM
fitment of the p46 depos was fine. I had no problems whatsoever, and did not have to modify anything. obviously, this could vary from light to light, but i had no problems.
For the record. Unless something has changed very recently, the high beam/low beam issue on the p46 depos (not the fxr retrofit ones) can NOT be fixed by flashing your ecu. If you are going from bi-xenon to xenon it is considered a "backwards" flash ie, your trying to tell your car it is older than it is...and this is not possible. trust me. I was told by the people who sold me the light that i could do this, and after being told i could not at the dealer, dug a lot deeper into the issue and found out that the dealer was right (i know, amazing...) just FYI. The reflashing that works for people is going from halogen to xenon. not bi-xenon to xenon.

If the Fxr's are bixenons (i think they are) it may be plug and play for you, with no software upgrade needed as you are going from bi-xenons to bi-xenons. I dont know that fore sure, so check it out.

I dont think the depo lights have quite as good of a reflective pattern as our original lights do. That being said, it is not unbearable but just not as good. If you can get the fxr's into your zkw housings, i thing you will have the best of both worlds.

If i were you id ask some of my good friends/family if anyone is going out of town on vacation or anything any time soon. maybe you could borrow their car while they are gone for a few days?

If i had my choice, i would do the fxr into the zkw's to retain the bi-xenon capability. just my 2 cents.
David

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Does the reflector bowl around the projector housing really do anything? I thought the projector itself properly focuses the beam. Looks like all the work is being done inside the projector:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Headlight_projector_schematic.png
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/dad06b0a7ac60e5267c1cac998f3f3d62631eddd82a4bd29c8 b98f32fb7e16cb6g.jpg

Then again, that's my zkw putting out probably 1/4 of the light it should be.

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 07:59 AM
I think your light problem can be fixed, Mtn. NCSExpert is way more powerful a tool than any dealer has. You should be able to change the light patterns so that your halogens come on in addition to the xenons. I've been reading you can keep your foglights on when highbeaming as well.

Some research is still needed, but I know this stuff is all in there. Such as:
BI_XENON
nicht_aktiv

shadowpuck
01-23-2011, 08:54 AM
good point on bi-xenon. i agree, if at all possible - it's a good idea to retain that feature if you can.

also, totally understand you don't/can't have your car down if it's your daily driver.....

thanks for reminding me that tampa currently has xenons; for some reason, i keep forgetting that!
yes, with the standard configuration of the modules, after a certain build date you cannot "go backward" so to speak on an option like bi-xenon.
however, i do believe with NCS that you would have the ability to adjust that.....off top of head, i don't know the exact values required, but i know how to find out.....

what i can tell you is i was completely stunned by the improvement on my friend's ZHP when he did a lightwerkz retrofit. he had the zkw issue, and this upgrade was amazing.

keep us updated with what you do and the results......
whenever i finally make my decision, i'll post up the details.....

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Well I'm definitely going with the fx-r projector. The cutoff looks awesome. Once I get up the dough, I'll call umnitza and find out some details on how easy it is to make their headlights work specific to my car. They are bi-xenon, hopefully a simple swap. If I do buy them, I might even consider buying an fx-r retrofit kit they also sell. I can take my time and retrofit my zkws after they're out as a side project and sell them for whatever it costs me to put them together. The retrofit kit is only $150. I've seen guides out there on how to do it, I've gotta read up more though.

Mtnman
01-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Tampa, good luck. Also, keep me posted on the high beam issue. It seems like it would be simple to make the halogens fire when the stalk is pushed forward, and also fire pulled back like they do now. If you can figure that out, it would make my day!
David

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 10:50 AM
I may be able to, do you have a sedan or coupe?

Mtnman
01-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Sedan.

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 12:02 PM
I'll look into it, I can try it on mine. We have the same year. It may take some time.

pyreguy
01-23-2011, 12:06 PM
I would like to have it to where my fogs stay on when the brights are on or even if I flash to pass.

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 05:54 PM
I think this can be done, but from what I understand not legal to have more than 4 forward facing lights on at once. That's FL, anyway.

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 11:12 PM
I would like to have it to where my fogs stay on when the brights are on or even if I flash to pass.

I think this is a 1-liner:
FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ : high beam & fog lights not on together

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Tampa, good luck. Also, keep me posted on the high beam issue. It seems like it would be simple to make the halogens fire when the stalk is pushed forward, and also fire pulled back like they do now. If you can figure that out, it would make my day!
David

Preliminary investigation of rondo of bf.c's translation file shows:

PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON :
wert_02=default
wert_01=bixenons&halogen together

Also,
BIXENON_EIN_BEI_LICHTHUPE : flash to pass is bixexon & halogen together

I'll probably start a thread for this on bf.c before I modify anything. I don't need to be breaking things I don't yet fully understand :)

From bf.c post, "Only one I can think of adding is "bi_xenon" when set to nicht_aktiv seems to make them function like the xenons from the pre-02 E46s, as long as the other bixenon options are also disabled. Could be useful for people who had their cars coded for xenons after installing P46s."

pyreguy
01-24-2011, 05:55 PM
I think this is a 1-liner:
FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ : high beam & fog lights not on together

So this is possible then?

MsRN
01-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Out of curiosity, at what point did you notice problems with your headlights (e.g. mileage, age of car)? How--and how quickly--did your lights deteriorate? I have the dreaded ZKWs, too, so I'd like to stay ahead of the problem...

As for the Lightwerkz retrofit/upgrade, it sounds like the best way to go, overall. Does it result in a loss of auto-leveling, or in any deficiencies in the beam patterns?

Tampa330i
01-25-2011, 02:20 AM
So this is possible then?

I'm pretty sure I saw a post somewhere with it working. I still don't know it well enough. It may require more than 1 change, but it should be possible. You can control pretty much anything that turns on and off or has a range of values.

Tampa330i
01-25-2011, 02:24 AM
Out of curiosity, at what point did you notice problems with your headlights (e.g. mileage, age of car)? How--and how quickly--did your lights deteriorate? I have the dreaded ZKWs, too, so I'd like to stay ahead of the problem...

As for the Lightwerkz retrofit/upgrade, it sounds like the best way to go, overall. Does it result in a loss of auto-leveling, or in any deficiencies in the beam patterns?

They were like this when I got the car at 69k. Not knowing what they should look like and never having a xenon headlight setup, I just thought they were crappy, not broken. Who knows how long they've been like that, the dealer sure didn't mention it.

pyreguy
01-25-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw a post somewhere with it working. I still don't know it well enough. It may require more than 1 change, but it should be possible. You can control pretty much anything that turns on and off or has a range of values.

If you figure this out, I may have to take another road trip.

Tampa330i
01-25-2011, 06:10 PM

Looks like someone already figured this out. I'll test it on mine tomorrow to confirm if it works for us. These bf.c guys know their stuff: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19533201&postcount=8 I'm pretty sure this can't be done in DIS, so I doubt a dealer can do this. Luckily we've got NCSExpert.

Actually this whole thread is pretty useful. And it was done on an 04 330ci: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19533201

zhp43867
01-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Obioban on M3 forum and a guy who does coding on E46fanatics both have the halogen high beams working with the regular high beams and/or fog lights. I think it may be a matter of adding a relay of some sort, don't remember.

Tampa330i
01-25-2011, 09:24 PM
I emailed umnitza about the p46s with fx-r:

"To: Umnitza, Inc.
Subject: Contact from Umnitza.com: Technical: P46 premium w/retrofit(Urgent)

Technical: P46 premium w/retrofit

Hello,

I'm looking for some new headlights and I'm interested in the 'Projector46 Premium Sedan 2002-2005 Facelifted with Orion [02-05Sfaceli]'. I have a 2004 330i. I currently have a bi-xenon zkw setup from the factory, and the projector bowls are burned out. I would like to replace the entire headlight housing with the Depo P46 premium with fx-r retrofitted + orion v2 angel eyes. From what I understand the fx-r is also bi-xenon; will I have to do anything other than plug these in for the bi-xenon to continue to work? Also, when I order - there are 3 options under Xenon choice for fx-r (fx-r w/adapter, fx-r w/adapters 35w & 55w). Are my factory ballasts to be used with the first option? Are new ballasts included with the 35 and 55w options?

Regards,

James"

They replied:
"Subject: RE: Contact from Umnitza.com: Technical: P46 premium w/retrofit(Urgent)

The FXR is completely plug and play into the system that you currently have. Your factory ballasts will be compatible with the FXR, but you only need to choose the FXR with adapter. New ballasts are included with the 35W and 55W option.

Good choice. You will be very pleased with the output.

üm•nitza
---------------
Umnitza Support"

jjcools
01-26-2011, 12:52 AM

Most likely your lights are already starting to deteriorate, you can see the damage by pulling the lights apart. I think there are some pics in this thread and in bf.c.

I think lightwerkz charges about 450 to do the retro and install AE but the AE are an added cost. When I asked about it I was thinking about going more OEM AE cause their are more of a blue white. So you might just email them, they are quick to get back to you.

Tampa330i
01-26-2011, 07:18 AM

Pack your bags :) This took 5 minutes or less to code. I changed, in the ALSZ (lighting module I assumed, guess I was right): "FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ : high beam & fog lights not used together when active", "PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON : To have both the bixenons and the halogen highs", and "BIXENON_EIN_BEI_LICHTHUPE : flash to pass to be both bixenon and halogen (while lowbeams are on)". I can't test the flash to pass by myself, but I re-read the module after and it stuck, so it should have worked. Here I put my normal lows on, then foglights, then switch to highbeams. The result:

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/833b963c4c34db90e09833918e9c45b3432bd6893577b586e6 5c8e520cf9d23e6g.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/a417e10cf9325c0a75af96d3fbd9cad2d016bbf878d24a94bf 39e63afa9bba9e6g.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/786113d165035e6d4f416cd63ef19052c670052fa0ba51e79d 19aebbcc0a7a1a6g.jpg

No hardware modification, whatsoever.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Be sure to take pictures of the meet, guys. Haha.

Mtnman
01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Holy shit! You did it!!!!!!!!!! Thats what i need right there! Great job tampa!:fistpump:fistpump:fistpump:fistpump:fistpum p:fistpump:fistpump:fistpump:fistpump

Tampa330i
01-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Was just a matter of time. I had someone test with me and confirmed when using flash to pass halogens the xenon low beams stay on. When flashing to pass with low beams + fog lights on, the fogs stay on, low beam xenon stays on, and halogen comes on. Even with the crappy xenon light, it's quite bright with all 3 sets going at once. Very cool. Mtn, what happens when you push your stalk forward right now, nothing? We can avoid changing the light type away from bixenon and just add halogen to your high beams. That is a reasonable solution for anyone who has the p46 with single xenon, yes?

Mtnman
01-28-2011, 06:30 AM
when i push the stalk forward, the bright light symbol in the dash lights up, but nothing happens past that. If you added "halogen" to mine, that would be the perfect solution. I dont need to not send a signal to the xenons, because i think all it is telling them to do is open the shutter for the high-beam. The depos have no shutter, so who cares if it still tells them to do so. Does that make sense?

Tampa330i
01-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Yup, that's what I'm thinking. If you ever choose to get bixenons again, no need to recode either. It's crazy bright having your halogens in addition to xenon on at the same time. I can't imagine how bright it's going to be once I get new projectors. I'll see if I can get a picture of the double highbeams + fogs tonight.

Mtnman
01-28-2011, 06:38 AM
exactly. now i just need to drive to florida to get you to hook me up! Lets see..... 10 hr drive (each way) for a 5 minute fix....perfect!

Marcus-SanDiego
01-28-2011, 06:43 AM
Priceless.

Tampa330i
01-28-2011, 06:55 AM
You could probably get the software installed and working in less time. Do you have a good amount of computer experience & a laptop, Mtn?

Mtnman
01-28-2011, 06:58 AM
well.....there's the rub. Yes, pretty good computer experience (but not nearly as proficient as you) but laptop is a negative. Long story, but the mrs. is keeping the laptop and i have yet to replace it. anyway, we need a southeast meet sometime soon. so I plan on seeing you there.

danewilson77
01-28-2011, 07:14 AM
So.....$700 for a laptop or $700.00 for gas, hotel room, food for the trip. Sounds like an expensive 5 minute code fix to me.

IMHO...I recommend tackle the wife, and take the laptop. She'll never know what happened. She'll be like...."where did my laptop go?"...then you just give her the "WTF are you talking about?" look.

Works all the time.

Tampa330i
01-28-2011, 07:15 AM
That's cool, I look forward to a gathering. On another note, how is the wiring for the headlights as far as difficulty? Did you have bi-xenon zkws before p46s? Did you replace the ballasts? Umnitza said I could use my oem ballasts with the new projectors, but can they be mounted to the lights or will I have to tape them somewhere? I'm thinking about doing them myself, but I don't want to be in over my head half way through installing them. I'm pretty sure I can handle getting the old headlight out and new one in. As for the wires, just plug and play? What about the angel eyes, how do those get wired in? Do you need any special tools or anything?

Tampa330i
01-28-2011, 07:18 AM
So.....$700 for a laptop or $700.00 for gas, hotel room, food for the trip. Sounds like an expensive 5 minute code fix to me.

IMHO...I recommend tackle the wife, and take the laptop. She'll never know waht happened. She'll be like...."where did my laptop go?"...then you just give her the "WTF are you talking about?" look.

Works all the time.

I did this on my $300 netbook, which is now probably $200 :) lol @ taking the laptop.

http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=zhpcom-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&asins=B002U6JVDO

Marcus-SanDiego
01-28-2011, 07:19 AM

IMHO...I recommend tackle the wife, and take the laptop. She'll never know what happened. She'll be like...."where did my laptop go?"...then you just give her the "WTF are you talking about?" look.

Works all the time.

This ^^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

Mtnman
01-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Let me try to go find the install DIY i used. Im sure i found it on e46. Both for the depos and for the angel eyes. Ill try to get some time over the weekend and get that for you. I used 2 sided tape for the ballasts and taped them to the inside of the front bumper. I bought the best 3m tape i could find. Kinda sketchy, but they are still there 1 year later, so i think they are stuck pretty good. I used the ballasts that came with the depos. I waited about 2 months before i wired the angel eyes. the depos are seriously plug and play. its easy, trust me. 2/10 install difficulty. The wiring of the eyes was not that hard either, just installing a wire tap in your main ecu box is a bit nerve racking. I tapped the "accessory" wire. The AE's run all the time, and stay on about 10 seconds after the car is shut off.

Mtnman
01-28-2011, 07:24 AM
She'll be like...."where did my laptop go?"...then you just give her the "WTF are you talking about?" look.

Works all the time.

This look?:dunno

Sounds like a perfect plan. What could go wrong? :blink

danewilson77
01-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Yeah...time to man up....whoop some ass.....and get your sheeeeet back. The nerve. She took your laptop? Only one thing worse. Killin a dudes dog.

Tell her to buy her own......or she can GTFO. Period.....

To pull off the above....you gotta have a couple of things going on though.

1. Crazy madman look in your eyes.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Funny/l_60859efb239d0c694613df2921f154d0.jpg
2. You must be adorned with a wife beater.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Funny/2036455.jpg
3. Hair has to be all misplaced and disheveld looking.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Funny/phil20spector20crazy20hair.jpg
4. Boxer shorts are a must.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Funny/boxer_briefs220copy.jpg
5. Good lawyer in hip pocket. Lowell "the hammer" Stanley will do.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Funny/24651.jpg

Marcus-SanDiego
01-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Yeah...time to man up....whoop some ass.....and get your sheeeeet back. The nerve. She took your laptop? Only one thing worse. Killin a dudes dog.

Tell her to buy her own......or she can GTFO. Period.....

To pull off the above....you gotta have a couple of things going on though.

1. Crazy madman look in your eyes.
2. You must be adorned with a wife beater.
3. Hair has to be all misplaced and disheveled looking.
4. Boxer shorts are a must.
5. Good lawyer in hip pocket. Get the one O.J. had.

Johnny Cochrane died a while back.

Mtnman
01-28-2011, 07:30 AM
^^^ LMAO!! That was perfect. So im going for the "cousin Eddie, Shitter's Full" look?
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/booneflyfisher/eddie.jpg

danewilson77
01-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Johnny Cochrane died a while back.

Good catch...edited^

Marcus-SanDiego
01-28-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm also guessing that our wives are not reading over our shoulders right now. Hehe.

danewilson77
01-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Nope....I mean....yeah!

pyreguy
01-28-2011, 03:01 PM
I have a lap top. I wanna make this happen. I can do anything with detailed instructions.

Tampa330i
01-28-2011, 07:43 PM
I have a lap top. I wanna make this happen. I can do anything with detailed instructions.

What's the make and model?

az3579
01-29-2011, 05:52 AM

No sir. I have my laptop but didn't want to use my primary machine as the "test bed", so I bought a used Dell Latitude D430 on eBay with no hard drive for... wait for it............... $125 shipped. I have a hard drive to use for it, so that is almost the total investment. More powerful than a netbook, costs less than half, has excellent battery life, weighs about the same, and has a higher resolution screen. It's a no-brainer.

Even if you don't find an awesome deal like I did, you can get cheap, used laptops that are more than sufficient for the job for around $200-250 if you don't want to shell out the ~$399 for a new, basic cheap laptop. You do not have to spend $700 on a laptop for something that has minimum requirements that haven't been the top spec for YEARS. :)

Tampa330i
01-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Is that single or dual core? What speed?

az3579
01-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Is that single or dual core? What speed?

Core 2 Duo U7600, dual-core, 1.2GHz. Ultra Low Voltage CPU.

Tampa330i
01-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Top of the line for that laptop, a good deal indeed. Did you get it from some random person or like an ebay store?

az3579
01-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Top of the line for that laptop, a good deal indeed. Did you get it from some random person or like an ebay store?

eBay. It was the only one for under $200 that was functioning. The rest without hard drives as well were about $200. I will now have a fully functioning, top-of-the-line (I think) D430 for under the cost of one without a hard drive. AND it has the extended battery. And a warranty that expires next month. :biggrin

danewilson77
01-29-2011, 09:30 AM

How is 1.2Ghz....top of the line in a laptop?

Tampa330i
01-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Top of the line for a d430, it can't fit any faster chip.

az3579
01-29-2011, 09:47 AM
How is 1.2Ghz....top of the line in a laptop?

1) It's only top-of-the-line for that model laptop, which was originally sold almost 3 years ago.
2) It's an Ultra Low Voltage processor, meaning it's clock speeds aren't anywhere near the clock speed of a regular chip. The tradeoff is that it uses a LOT less power than a standard laptop CPU and produces much less heat, both resulting in much longer battery life. Where a regular laptop would get a battery life of perhaps 3-4 hours, this one would be capable of 6-8.
3) The performance isn't that bad at all. Don't let the clock speed fool you. A Core 2 Duo at, for example, 1.2GHz, is better than a Pentium M 1.6GHz, for example. The dual-cores make all the difference, and depending on the application, can be much faster than single-core equivalent. In this case, it won't matter much because the apps for this use aren't optimized for dual-core, but I at least will have the expansion capability to branch off to other things with this laptop. They aren't even demanding apps, so the 1.2GHz will still blitz through it, dual-core or not.
4) Compare the CPU to today's netbooks and it still outperforms all but the most expensive ones.

Hell, I've got a Pentium II laptop here next to me that I've reimaged with Windows XP, with 256MB of RAM, and it's running better than some peoples' home computers I've seen that are much much newer. System optimization makes all the difference as well.

danewilson77
01-29-2011, 10:20 AM
OK....copy. I was looking at a laptop with the below...

Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz, 2.93GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache
6GB RAM (1333mhz); USB 2.0 Ports (3) RJ45 Ethernet IEEE 1394a (4-Pin) Port Audio-out Connectors (2) Audio-in/Microphone Jack Built-in Front Speakers (2)
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive; Slot-loading Dual-Layer (DVD+/-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 (1GB); 15.6" High-Definition Widescreen (900p); 6 cell battery
McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 6 Months; Steam gaming portal

az3579
01-29-2011, 10:39 AM
OK....copy. I was looking at a laptop with the below...

Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz, 2.93GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache
6GB RAM (1333mhz); USB 2.0 Ports (3) RJ45 Ethernet IEEE 1394a (4-Pin) Port Audio-out Connectors (2) Audio-in/Microphone Jack Built-in Front Speakers (2)
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive; Slot-loading Dual-Layer (DVD+/-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 (1GB); 15.6" High-Definition Widescreen (900p); 6 cell battery
McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 6 Months; Steam gaming portal

That's a mid- to high-end laptop that is overkill for this sort of thing.

danewilson77
01-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Yeah...I got you. I guess I had my mind on this computer when I said...what I said. I understand your direction.

pyreguy
01-30-2011, 03:33 PM
What's the make and model?

My laptop or my car?

Lappy is an HP dv5T
ZHP is '04 330i 6MT

danewilson77
01-30-2011, 03:43 PM
My laptop or my car?

Lappy is an HP dv5T
ZHP is '04 330i 6MT

Well....this is the ZHP section...so he must be talking about the car.

Tampa330i
01-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Sorry, yes, I meant laptop. Yours is plenty powerful enough to run this stuff.

az3579
01-31-2011, 02:55 AM
We should probably move all software- and computer-related stuff over to the existing thread for this software...
We're getting quite off topic.

Tampa330i
01-31-2011, 05:01 AM
Yes, back to headlights. I'm doing my taxes today, and I haven't filed in 3 years. Hopefully I should see a large chunk of change for a refund, then I'll go ahead and buy the fx-r retrofitted p46s from umnitza. I'll take the first leap on these, I can't find anyone else that has them. I also plan on doing them myself, so that'll be fun :blink . I know I need a magnet or claw tool to get the back lower bolts out, do I need any more specialized tools or wire accessories or anything besides screwdrivers, sockets, and wrenches? I'm starting to think I should throw a set of new ballasts in there as well, is there any better way of attaching these than tape?

az3579
01-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Hopefully I should see a large chunk of change for a refund, then I'll go ahead and buy the fx-r retrofitted p46s from umnitza.

Don't you lose high beam functionality with these? I mean push-stalk functionality, not pull. That would be highly annoying for me...

I know I need a magnet or claw tool to get the back lower bolts out, do I need any more specialized tools or wire accessories or anything besides screwdrivers, sockets, and wrenches?

Why would you need special tools for that? Can't you just have to take the intake out?

I'm starting to think I should throw a set of new ballasts in there as well, is there any better way of attaching these than tape?

You could do it the proper way; buy brackets, drill holes, and mount using nuts and bolts.

Tampa330i
02-01-2011, 02:59 AM
The fx-r is bixenon. According to umnitza, I will keep bixenon functionality with these. Even if I lost bixenon, I already have coded the halogen highbeams to come on in addition to xenon highbeams when I push the stalk forward(and fogs stay on as well). I am not mechanical and have never changed headlights on any car, I have no idea what tools would be needed. Just getting all my ducks in a row beforehand so I'm not making runs to autozone while I'm trying to install them. I'm checking with umnitza now on ballast fitment with these premium p46s, apparently they can't handle my technical question over email, so I have to call them.

shadowpuck
06-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Just as a follow up on my situation.
I decided not to spend the money on any type of Xenon retrofit or swap; that money went toward the track car....:)

What I did was replaced the lenses and upgraded the low beam bulbs with a set of Osram Rallye 65w bulbs. This was based on the recommendation of the lighting freaks over at the candlepower forums.....

shadowpuck
06-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Despite my ZHP only having been driven to church on Sundays (and only in nice weather), the lenses on the headlights were pretty worn out.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50475-2/IMG_5211.JPG

Trust me, the photos make them look better than they really were. That's also after I polished them last year.

So, let's start with removal.

On facelift sedans, there's 4 screws to remove. 3 are easy to reach - the 4th will take some precision and something magnetic.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50482-2/IMG_5213.JPG

Looking at the photo above, the corner light is removed via the screw on the right. Loosen the screw, pull the light out - easy.
The two bolts on the top of the headlight will be removed, along with the one at the back (not shown) and the one buried in the bumper/grill area (not shown).
There's plenty of writeups that cover these locations, so this is just an overview.

Once the screws are removed, I disconnected the lower trim piece and then slid the entire assembly out of the car. I left the headlight washers and trim piece still on the car. It's not difficult to do at all. The washers will extend a considerable distance. Be sure all the wiring has been disconnected from the headlight.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50488-2/IMG_5215.JPG

Another shot of the headlight removed.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50491-2/IMG_5216.JPG

Closeup of the trim piece and how it disconnects. Two clips on the outside, and one on the inboard area near the center grill.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50497-2/IMG_5218.JPG

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50500-2/IMG_5219.JPG

Shot of the car without any lights - always such an odd look.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50512-2/IMG_5223.JPG

There are seven clips around the outside of the lens. Pop those off and the lens will lift right off of the assembly.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50521-2/IMG_5226.JPG

Old lens removed.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50524-2/IMG_5227.JPG

Lens removed, and bulb sockets removed.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50527-2/IMG_5228.JPG

New lens gasket installed. It's recommended you replace then when removing the lens.
It simply fits in the channel along the outside of the assembly. The old gasket was pretty compressed.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50530-2/IMG_5229.JPG

Shot of the old and new gasket.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50533-2/IMG_5230.JPG

New lens installed. It simply clips back in place as a compression fit. It'll take some effort to compress the new gasket.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50542-2/IMG_5233.JPG

Yes, there's actually a lens installed.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50545-2/IMG_5234.JPG

Installed in the car again.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50554-2/IMG_5237.JPG

Both sides reinstalled.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50557-2/IMG_5238.JPG

Test with new bulbs installed.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/50563-2/IMG_5240.JPG

kayger12
06-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Nice work, Puck.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Very nice, SP. You've been missed around here.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

shadowpuck
06-18-2011, 04:02 PM
ahhh, too much work lately......we all know how that goes!

site looks great! good work! i'll do my best to be around more often......

Marcus-SanDiego
06-18-2011, 04:10 PM
ahhh, too much work lately......we all know how that goes!

site looks great! good work! i'll do my best to be around more often......

Understand. Hope you're around more. Always appreciate your contributions.

Glad you like the look of the site.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

spencers
06-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Looks fantastic. New lenses make a huge difference

danewilson77
06-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Great writeup. Well done. That takes 5 years off of the age of you ride.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Hornung418
06-18-2011, 06:53 PM
I need new lenses, badly.

shadowpuck
06-18-2011, 08:10 PM
just went out for a drive tonight - good grief. why did i wait to do this?

yes, xenons would be a nice upgrade, and that will happen someday. but, i'd be hard pressed to beat the value of this route.
lenses, gaskets, osram rallye bulbs, $150 or so all in. especially for plug and play install in about an hour.....

agreed - i couldn't believe how much nicer the front of the car looks with the new lenses. now i need to deal with all the paint chips up front! hehe.....

edlvrt
06-27-2011, 09:15 AM
I have those wonderful ZKW reflectors that need to go. I have read that the E90 ZKW reflectors are a direct fit and made of metal so they last forever. Does anyone have any experience with this swap? Sounds straight forward with little downtime. Thanks

spig
06-27-2011, 10:23 AM
I am slowly working through swapping the E90 ZKW reflectors. They are pretty easy to swap so far compared to what a lot of swaps look like. The thread first saw on e46f had good pictures and showed you how to do it. I had a pain trying to remove the pins that hold the swivel lenses just because I didn't want to hit it too hard and break it. Once I started banging on it and got it out, it looks pretty straight forward. Just need to drill the holes for the screws and guides and then start taking the headlight housing apart.

edlvrt
06-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Where did you source the reflectors? I have seen a listing on ebay for the left side projector assembly, but no right. Are the reflectors interchangeable left to right?

spig
06-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I got a pair from ebay. The left and right are pretty close. They are not exactly the same, but I don't see why you couldn't use two of the same side.