PDA

View Full Version : Members Only Section

M3TA5IN
04-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Just a suggestion, I currently think you run a top notch site Marcus. Just thought I would throw this out there.

A members only forum that can only be seen by members and not anyone searching the site etc.

Back in my jeep days what we did in my club was have certain forums that new people could read and even participate in, but there were sections that they couldnt access as well unless they became a member. We had a lot of guidelines set in place (similar to zhpmafia) on how a person could be a member. For example: You had to have attended at least 1 meet and greet etc. Then in the members only section we would vote on the personality of the person and if they fit in with our group. If deemed they did, they became an actual member (instead of a forum poster) and they were granted full access to the site.

Now not saying we need to do all that, just making some suggestions. The reason I really liked our members only section was because we had a sticky in there with everyones name/contact info/etc.

This way if Marcus decides to go on a crazy cross country trip and then breaks down on I-83 north in Pennsyltucky. He can go on the forum, and see that BAM Cody is 2 miles from him and call my number. Then I break out the race team rescue truck and come assist you in the best way possible followed by a complimentary day spa treatment in my back yard hammock I just built.

Just food for thought, if you think its super redundant just tell me Im a tard and Ill be happy and go on about my day (which excludes your complementary day spa treatment Pennsyltucky style) :p

This was also good for our Jeeps because they break ALL THE TIME, guys the BMWs are a little better since we aren't smashing them against rocks :)

johnrando
04-05-2012, 08:31 AM
That's actually not a bad idea. And frankly, we could move some of the "general off topic" chat threads into that section, as some of it is "personal".

M3TA5IN
04-05-2012, 08:35 AM
That's actually not a bad idea. And frankly, we could move some of the "general off topic" chat threads into that section, as some of it is "personal".

Yep, that's where all of our personal stuff was. The people that were members we're all people that were basically family like here. Back to what I said in my other thread. I see this site as a club of family members more than a forum.

kayger12
04-05-2012, 08:38 AM
I like this idea.

Oli77
04-05-2012, 08:43 AM
I don't like that idea. I feel like a member already why become a "member only" person?

I vote for peace and love and sharing the moment and the story, not exclusivity behind closed threads.

My 2 cents.

johnrando
04-05-2012, 08:47 AM
To me, it's not about exclusivity... this site gets a million hits a month now. Things like personal stories, relationship issues, the possible fighter meet, stuff we share among friends are more "family" items than stuff that the world could/should see. Besides, you already have to be a "member" to join and post, so it's not really that different. I see what you're saying, I just view it differently. No issues either way. I've thought about this before but never came up with that (what I consider to be a) good idea.

EDIT: if we did go that route, it would take some work moving some of the topics around, and I'd be more than willing to help with that.

M3TA5IN
04-05-2012, 09:03 AM
To me, it's not about exclusivity... this site gets a million hits a month now. Things like personal stories, relationship issues, the possible fighter meet, stuff we share among friends are more "family" items than stuff that the world could/should see. Besides, you already have to be a "member" to join and post, so it's not really that different. I see what you're saying, I just view it differently. No issues either way. I've thought about this before but never came up with that (what I consider to be a) good idea.

EDIT: if we did go that route, it would take some work moving some of the topics around, and I'd be more than willing to help with that.

Good way to say it. I understand what you're saying too though oli. I think you're just seeing in a different way or like most things I probably explained it horrible lol

danewilson77
04-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Piece of cake to move that stuff. I do not know if we have the ability to "members only" a section with this software. Boss will know.

M3TA5IN
04-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Piece of cake to move that stuff. I do not know if we have the ability to "members only" a section with this software. Boss will know.

You should, we ran vbullitin on our site as well and did it.

Look at sisoffroad.com and a added bonus you'll see a picture of me on the home page you can stare at whenever you miss me.

Hornung418
04-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Kinda like BF.cOT where you can't view that section unless you were logged into the forum. But I vote that we should have a post minimum. Say 200 or so, just to show that you're an active participant.

johnrando
04-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Kinda like BF.cOT where you can't view that section unless you were logged into the forum. But I vote that we should have a post minimum. Say 200 or so, just to show that you're an active participant.

Great idea if easy to implement. Makes sense, if you just post once or twice, or just to sell a car, that's a little different.

danewilson77
04-05-2012, 09:23 AM
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Other%20cars/1.jpg

kayger12
04-05-2012, 09:54 AM

This. Very well said, John.

kayger12
04-05-2012, 09:55 AM

I like this as well.

Ryans323i
04-05-2012, 10:09 AM
I support this idea.

328ioc
04-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I support this as well. Sounds like a great idea. Especially the contact info idea.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
04-05-2012, 12:28 PM
I could create a members only forum so that no one can see it but current members. That's not a problem. Without giving it much thought, I do find myself being reluctant to walling off current members to this "members only" forum. After all, if you've been here this long, I think you've already proven yourself. Indeed, all of the douche bags have already been cleaned out of this forum.

I'm for a members only section where nonmembers of ZHPMafia.com cannot browse but I'm not sure about excluding some of our current members simply because they do not have enough posts to qualify. I'd have to give that some thought.

M3TA5IN
04-05-2012, 12:34 PM
I could create a members only forum so that no one can see it but current members. That's not a problem. Without giving it much thought, I do find myself being reluctant to walling off current members to this "members only" forum. After all, if you've been here this long, I think you've already proven yourself. Indeed, all of the douche bags have already been cleaned out of this forum.

I'm for a members only section where nonmembers of ZHPMafia.com cannot browse but I'm not sure about excluding some of our current members simply because they do not have enough posts to qualify. I'd have to give that some thought.

My thoughts on that would be all currents are grand fathered. New guide lines only apply to new applications

Newjack
04-05-2012, 12:36 PM
I support this idea, primarily for the contact information. I think that's a really good idea.

Marcus-SanDiego
04-05-2012, 12:53 PM
My thoughts on that would be all currents are grand fathered. New guide lines only apply to new applications

I could live with that. Once they got to certain number of posts, they'd be able to view the members only posts.

I'll create the forum tonight.

az3579
04-05-2012, 12:54 PM
I do not support this idea.

/twocents

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
04-05-2012, 12:55 PM
^^ duly noted.

BP, would you prefer a public forum where our phone numbers are displayed to the world?

As I understand it, every member of our forum would have access to the members only forum. The only people who do not have access are visitors, who are not members at ZHPMafia.com.

Why would you be opposed to keeping our private information private?

danewilson77
04-05-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm in favor of all current members having access. As we get our "few" new members, they can be evaluated, over time, as to whether or not they would be granted access.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hornung418
04-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Great I'm wholly in support of this. I especially enjoy the swift plan of attack :thumbup

Oli77
04-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I understand what you're saying too though oli. I think you're just seeing in a different way or like most things I probably explained it horrible lol

I did, and initially, the idea of a "Members Only" club really turned me off.

Now that Mark and Dane have embraced the idea that as long as ALL current members are able to share a thread (stickey) with phone numbers and such, then I am with the lot.

I do see your point about sharing personal stories behind closed threads as well.

cakM3
04-05-2012, 02:28 PM
...would you prefer a public forum where our phone numbers are displayed to the world?

As I understand it, every member of our forum would have access to the members only forum. The only people who do not have access are visitors, who are not members at ZHPMafia.com...

Marcus,

I am in favor of keeping our private information in a members only part of this forum. I, myself, would not want my information or privacy-related stories put out for the world to see....I think this is a great idea :thumbsup

danewilson77
04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Marcus,

I am in favor of keeping our private information in a members only part of this forum. I, myself, would not want my information or privacy-related stories put out for the world to see....I think this is a great idea :thumbsup

Yeah, there's a few on here already.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
04-05-2012, 02:43 PM
I want to just take a second to say thanks to the members who throw in their constructive two cents to make this a better place-- this was a great idea.

Also thanks to the Boss who always is quick to embrace a great idea and quicker to make it happen.

Love this place. Love you guys (and girls). :wub

SureShot434
04-05-2012, 02:57 PM
I think this is a great idea. Gives us more privacy with our personal information. Don't really have anything else to say, because it has all been said already lol

Great job guys :)

M3TA5IN
04-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Also thanks to the Boss who always is quick to embrace a great idea and quicker to make it happen.

X2

danewilson77
04-05-2012, 03:13 PM
I want to just take a second to say thanks to the members who throw in their constructive two cents to make this a better place-- this was a great idea.

:keith

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

az3579
04-05-2012, 03:39 PM
^^ duly noted.

BP, would you prefer a public forum where our phone numbers are displayed to the world?

As I understand it, every member of our forum would have access to the members only forum. The only people who do not have access are visitors, who are not members at ZHPMafia.com.

Why would you be opposed to keeping our private information private?

I'm not opposed to keeping private information private, I just think things like that should be handled via PM, that's all. I guess I'm still thinking along the lines of "private/hidden" sections of forums, which I've never been fond of. Just a personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

brettbimmer
04-05-2012, 03:59 PM
I like this as well.

Guess I better get posting! This does ruin one of my favorite quotes: "Those that say don't know, and those know don't say." :D

I try to only post when useful, and by doing so I try to limit my useless babbling here. Just my 0.02.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Essentially what we're talking about here is shielding our personal information and stories from the outside world -- which is not part of our membership.

As such, I am fine with having a members-only forum that is not visible to the outside world. It's visible to us, though. That's what is important.

Marcus-SanDiego
04-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Guess I better get posting! This does ruin one of my favorite quotes: "Those that say don't know, and those know don't say." :D

I try to only post when useful, and by doing so I try to limit my useless babbling here. Just my 0.02.

There is no post-count rule. If you are a member of this forum, right now, you will have access to this forum -- and all forums. What's more, there will not be a password or anything like that.

The fact is that the outside world simply will not be able to see the members only forum. Nothing will change for us. It will look like a regular forum.

brettbimmer
04-05-2012, 04:47 PM
There is no post-count rule. If you are a member of this forum, right now, you will have access to this forum -- and all forums. What's more, there will not be a password or anything like that.

The fact is that the outside world simply will not be able to see the members only forum. Nothing will change for us. It will look like a regular forum.

Thanks Boss. Sounds great!

danewilson77
04-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks Boss. Sounds great!

I do like it when you babble, Brett :)

Johnmadd
04-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I do like it when you babble, Brett :)

+1

M3TA5IN
04-05-2012, 05:57 PM
+1

X3

WOLFN8TR
04-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Essentially what we're talking about here is shielding our personal information and stories from the outside world -- which is not part of our membership.

As such, I am fine with having a members-only forum that is not visible to the outside world. It's visible to us, though. That's what is important.

I completely agree.

SoarinZHP
04-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I am in complete agreement with the "minimum number of posts requirement" for new members. I am extremely cautious (and hesitant) about revealing my identity in any form of electronic media. There are some really screwed up people in the world and I want to keep them as far away from me as possible. If they are gonna find me they better have to work really hard to do it.

brettbimmer
04-06-2012, 07:20 PM
LOL, Thanks all. :)

Group hug may be in order...though the icon isn't available on my dinodroid!

1 M Mike
05-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Forgive me if I missed it, but I've seen references in a few threads regarding the subject forum but no definitive guidelines even in this thread, and so was wondering what it takes to get off triple secret probabation in order to breach this inner sanctum.

Is it a certain minimum number of posts, or does one just sign in one day and a new forum automatically appears on the screen?

Marcus-SanDiego
05-23-2013, 10:31 AM
A minimum number of posts. I don't think anyone said how many it was because we don't want people to post whore just to make it.

When you get there, soon after you will see the new forum.

1 M Mike
05-23-2013, 10:33 AM
A minimum number of posts. I don't think anyone said how many it was because we don't want people to post whore just to make it.

When you get there, soon after you will see the new forum.
Danke.

ELCID86
05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
So I guess I'm on the old forum? How do you know??

fredo
05-23-2013, 10:47 AM
I believe Marcus refers to the "Members Only Section" forum, which you can see already.

ELCID86
05-23-2013, 11:18 AM
I believe Marcus refers to the "Members Only Section" forum, which you can see already.

Vielen Dank

Marcus-SanDiego
05-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Yep. It's just a forum within the ZHPMafia.com forum. When you have the requisite amount of posts, you'll see the forum. Simple as that. Shawn, the members only forum is available to you.