PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Back to Black

Newjack
04-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Recently I had decided to go ahead and purchase a product to revitalize my cars exterior plastic trim (Sedan models only).

Knowing that I have my no holes license bracket being shipped to me in a few days, I wanted to make sure that when it is installed, the new plastic trim piece (to replace the OE license plate holder) matches the old trim currently on the car.

So I went ahead and purchased mothers back to black bumper and trim care.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2204_80572439

After giving my car a thorough washing, I decided to bust out this bad boy and get to work on my trim. Directions are easy and written on the back. (I recommend washing the car first just to ensure that there is no grime or dirt on the trim before hand)

Simply apply some of the product to a microfiber towel and then rub it onto the trim. Apply liberally. I could immediately tell the difference. My old blackish gray trim was becoming jet black again. I'm sure it isn't a good thing to get onto your paint, so it might be wise to use painters tape around the trim while you clean it.

I decided that I was too lazy after washing the car and just carefully wiped down my trim to avoid touching the paint as much as I could. Either way, about 10 minutes after you apply back to black, wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth to prevent swirling or streaks.

As of now I am very please with how this product worked. I will post back the next time I wash my car to see if the trim has faded back or if it stays. But right now I am very pleased with how well this product has worked.

EDIT: I have washed my car once since I have applied this product. I applied more coats to the front trim than the back trim, so the front trim looked a hair darker than the back did. Is the trim still black? Yes. I can compare it against a brand new front bumper trim piece I installed when I got my no holes license plate bracket. Unless you get right up against both pieces and really try to notice the difference it will be very tough to tell that the older trim pieces have faded back a little.

Current Jimmies status

[X] Not Rustled
[] Rustled

carsontl
04-10-2012, 07:37 AM
It's been my experience that it's a temporary coat and the trim will fade again, but as long as you got the product keep slappin it on there! Some of it's bound to stay and keep it darker!

Edit: good review btw!

nike001
04-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Yeah I use this as well, but like most other products.. it comes off/fades.

Oli77
04-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Darn I had high hope of making it forever black!

carsontl
04-10-2012, 09:08 AM
oli you could probably get new trim and coat it with a solid UV layer (like aerospace protectant) to keep it from fading longer... but this is about the best you can do for already faded trim

Oli77
04-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Can you put aerospace protectant 307 on top of "back to black"?

carsontl
04-10-2012, 09:46 AM
yeah but I don't think it works quite that way. the aerospace protectant bonds to the material and usually requires a clean surface for it to work right. I'm guessing it will wear off much sooner

redwagon
04-10-2012, 01:10 PM
there is a product that I've used called 'forever black' that worked pretty good, lasted quite a while.

M0nk3y
04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I use Black WOW with good success. Stood up alot longer than back to.black

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

danewilson77
04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I like the Meguilers Trim and
Dash Restorer.

Sent from SIGFest-2012, USA on HTC via TTv2

carsontl
04-10-2012, 01:16 PM
^that's a good one too

ryankokesh
04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
I used whatever the one chemical guys makes is called. Comes in an aerosol can so it's a little easier/harder to apply (depending on how you look at it) and it does seem to last quite a while. It's kind of like it doesn't just disappear one day, but fades slowly back to the original black so you don't notice it so much.

carsontl
04-10-2012, 03:28 PM
fade to black! that's what i use

Newjack
04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Edited main post.

mcaden
09-27-2012, 10:18 AM
And, altho slightly OT, for your paint on black cars there is a very good carnuba wax called Black Velvet. It was recommended to me by a local detailer and I like it for occasional use.

echo46
09-28-2012, 04:22 AM
Agreed, when I first applied I was very happy but my joy faded with the black of my trim.

cakM3
09-28-2012, 04:55 AM
I use Meguiar's Trim Detailer. Actually prefer this over the Mother's product....lasts longer between applications :thumbsup