PDA

View Full Version : Just my $0.25.....

danewilson77
11-01-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm going to update this as I run into things.

1. Need a more efficient means to upload images. Big fan of IMG or right click, copy & paste.

2. Future forums - 1. Mod forum. 2. Horse power forum. 3. Regional forum (someday) 4. Split the F/S forum into several subsections (cars (zhp)/parts (zhp)/cars (non zhp)/other parts (non zhp)/miscellaneous)

3. Articles section....or maybe title it "in the news"...where people can post written articles or links to BMW news.

4. Zhp Mafia store.

5. Edit avatar section is disabled.

6. Reserved...

Marcus-SanDiego
11-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Dane, thanks. Keep it coming. Eventually, if we ever get enough members, there will be a need for more things. For now, we're but a modest little group just trying to see if this will work out in the long run.

I've never been part of a losing enterprise, but you never know!

Marcus-SanDiego
11-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Dane, would you mind expounding a bit more on your comment about images? I've always just hit the add-a-picture icon (see it in "go advanced" or "quick reply" menu).

Is there another way to do it?

ZSP-Mafia
11-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Getting the forum to work with tapatalk would be great as well.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-01-2010, 09:14 PM
You guys are too fricken advanced for me. I don't even know what tapatalk is.

Alphatek45
11-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Its an iPhone app. Prolly droid as well.
It's really nice.

danewilson77
11-02-2010, 03:53 AM
Dane, would you mind expounding a bit more on your comment about images? I've always just hit the add-a-picture icon (see it in "go advanced" or "quick reply" menu).

Is there another way to do it?

Many forums will let you add pics one of three ways...or all three ways. One is img. Easy copy and paste. No need to click on insert picture button. Another way, is right click a pic (on google, or at a vendor website), and copy and paste. Also very easy. Third way is here....you have to right click, copy the direct link, click on insert image window, then right click and copy into window, then say ok. Third option here is most laborious, and is a PITA when writing up a diy.

gr330zhp
11-02-2010, 06:26 AM
I really like the idea of a news section Marcus, where we post what we do to ours cars on a daily basis. Kinda like the thread Dane started on Bimmerforums. Good call Dane :)

Marcus-SanDiego
11-02-2010, 06:37 AM
We could do a "What Are You Doing To Your Car Today" thread in the general forum.

Or would you prefer an actual forum for this? Seems like overkill for this to get its own forum.

I'm thinking a thread in the general forum.

What do you think?

Dane, I will submit your comment to admin.

gr330zhp
11-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Yeah, a thread sounds good.

jjcools
11-02-2010, 11:40 AM
How about a wheels and tires section? That way people can talk about fitment and wheel options if they replace their OEM.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, a thread sounds good.

Feel free to start one. It's your forum.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-02-2010, 11:46 AM
How about a wheels and tires section? That way people can talk about fitment and wheel options if they replace their OEM.

good idea.

Alphatek45
11-02-2010, 01:50 PM
We could do a "What Are You Doing To Your Car Today" thread in the general forum.

Or would you prefer an actual forum for this? Seems like overkill for this to get its own forum.

I'm thinking a thread in the general forum.

What do you think?

Dane, I will submit your comment to admin.

A thread, within the general forum should suffice imo.
Dane's 2-4 are spot on.

adb1028
11-02-2010, 02:02 PM
if possible, a box on the main page that shows the most recent (active) threads like on e46fanatics would be nice.

danewilson77
11-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Who are our Supporting vendors?

danewilson77
11-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Also...the data in the "about me" section is not updating....

Marcus-SanDiego
11-02-2010, 05:21 PM
I pay for the site out of my pocket, Dane. No supporting vendors.

That said, I believe that I may give Khoa some real estate here at the site -- assuming he wants it. Khoa and I have been friends for a decade. He sells stuff that most people like; he has a good reputation.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Also...the data in the "about me" section is not updating....

I just checked your "about me" page. It seems to be updating now.

danewilson77
11-03-2010, 05:04 AM
So....you are saying, you don't want any supporting vendors?

Marcus-SanDiego
11-03-2010, 05:57 AM
So....you are saying, you don't want any supporting vendors?

What I am saying is we do not have enough traffic at this point to worry about it.

In the future, maybe we will.

danewilson77
11-03-2010, 07:25 AM
got it......thanks.

You arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre special.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Dane, exactly. haha.

C Withers Media
11-03-2010, 08:01 AM
1. Where can I whore my pictures?

2. Can we make Silverbeam a moderator please?

danewilson77
11-03-2010, 08:09 AM
:rofl:

danewilson77
11-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Put em in the gallery section? Noobs............

danewilson77
11-03-2010, 08:10 AM

^I was thinking Kevlar....

danewilson77
11-04-2010, 03:22 AM
:cool:Forum needs Santa smilies for Christmas....

Marcus-SanDiego
11-04-2010, 06:13 AM

Sounds as though we really should have a Pswirley's Photography Pen. Or something like that. You could be the host of that forum.

danewilson77
11-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Forum needs to be able to track what threads you have viewed, in that, if you haven't viewed a thread, it is highlighted.....if you have, it is not highlighted....

mimalmo
11-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I pay for the site out of my pocket, Dane. No supporting vendors.

We need to fix this. Shouldn't be too hard either.

Check to see if there are additional costs for us to have an attached storefront to sell shirts, hats, stickers, bongs, etc with the ZHP Mafia logo. My brother runs a t-shirt & graphics business. He can point me in the direction of a few places that can print logos on stuff in small numbers for cheap.

Setup a PayPal accout for ZHP Mafia. Makes it easier to solicit payments, donations, etc as well as make payments and keep track of it all.

If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious to know the costs you are incurring. PM me of course. I want to help with the drive for this to become self-sustaining and perhaps see a profit in a year or two. Let me know how I can help. I've got tons of experience in marketing, sales, business budgeting and Excel.

-Eli

danewilson77
11-04-2010, 12:44 PM
I offered to help....he didn't want to....

Don't feel bad for him....he's loaded.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-04-2010, 01:32 PM
We need to fix this. Shouldn't be too hard either.

Check to see if there are additional costs for us to have an attached storefront to sell shirts, hats, stickers, bongs, etc with the ZHP Mafia logo. My brother runs a t-shirt & graphics business. He can point me in the direction of a few places that can print logos on stuff in small numbers for cheap.

Setup a PayPal accout for ZHP Mafia. Makes it easier to solicit payments, donations, etc as well as make payments and keep track of it all.

If you don't mind sharing, I'm curious to know the costs you are incurring. PM me of course. I want to help with the drive for this to become self-sustaining and perhaps see a profit in a year or two. Let me know how I can help. I've got tons of experience in marketing, sales, business budgeting and Excel.

-Eli

Eli, I appreciate the support.

I'm fortunate that I don't have to make money at this venture. And I do not mind incurring the costs on my own (they're fairly modest costs, by the way).

Fact of the matter is this: I did not start this forum to make money. Instead, I started it because the ZHP Mafia needs a place of its own. I've had other ventures that were the same way. I started the venture for one reason or another -- but it was never about money. Funny, though, the ventures have always turned out to be money makers, even when that was not a goal. It just happens that way when you're having fun at something.

Anyhow, do not be surprised to see some shirts, hoodies, stickers, and other items on the site in the future (because, heck, who doesn't want ZHP Mafia-branded items?). But know this: I'm not looking to gouge my forum members. There may be a little margin in it to compensate me for the trouble but there won't be much more than that. That's not how I roll -- especially when it comes to online communities (where many of the members are my online pals and real-life friends).

danewilson77
11-05-2010, 03:28 AM
^^^^^I like the way he rollz........

danewilson77
11-05-2010, 03:39 AM
Forum needs to be able to track what threads you have viewed, in that, if you haven't viewed a thread, it is highlighted.....if you have, it is not highlighted....

Actually the site does this when you get into the particular forum section to view the threads.

I guess what I mean......is ask the admin if there is any way.....when viewing the main page....with the different forum sections......if that highlight/unhighlight function can be installed. Otherwise you have to click on each section to see if any new posts have occured. Just an idea, to streamline the help...once the site gets HUGE!!!!

mimalmo
11-05-2010, 05:17 AM
Eli, I appreciate the support.

I'm fortunate that I don't have to make money at this venture. And I do not mind incurring the costs on my own (they're fairly modest costs, by the way).

Fact of the matter is this: I did not start this forum to make money. Instead, I started it because the ZHP Mafia needs a place of its own. I've had other ventures that were the same way. I started the venture for one reason or another -- but it was never about money. Funny, though, the ventures have always turned out to be money makers, even when that was not a goal. It just happens that way when you're having fun at something.

Anyhow, do not be surprised to see some shirts, hoodies, stickers, and other items on the site in the future (because, heck, who doesn't want ZHP Mafia-branded items?). But know this: I'm not looking to gouge my forum members. There may be a little margin in it to compensate me for the trouble but there won't be much more than that. That's not how I roll -- especially when it comes to online communities (where many of the members are my online pals and real-life friends).

Sounds good Marcus. Let me know where I can jump in and help out in the future.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Actually the site does this when you get into the particular forum section to view the threads.

I guess what I mean......is ask the admin if there is any way.....when viewing the main page....with the different forum sections......if that highlight/unhighlight function can be installed. Otherwise you have to click on each section to see if any new posts have occured. Just an idea, to streamline the help...once the site gets HUGE!!!!

Dane, when I had the BMW icons inserted on the main page, it disabled the ability to see when new threads were available. I will bring back the old icons. I'm with you. I need to see -- from the main page -- when I have read everything, or there is something new.

It will be done by this weekend.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Sounds good Marcus. Let me know where I can jump in and help out in the future.

Thanks, Eli.

danewilson77
11-05-2010, 06:23 AM
I thought this was Marcus...lol. Eli, I assume is the admin?

Marcus-SanDiego
11-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Haha.

danewilson77
11-06-2010, 07:18 PM
How are you guys getting your sig pic to show up?

danewilson77
11-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Are avatars working now?

Marcus-SanDiego
11-11-2010, 03:18 PM
They should be. I just checked. They are enabled.

danewilson77
11-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Here is the message I get when I try to upload image from PB. I just resized it to 80X80 pixels.

"Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.."

Marcus-SanDiego
11-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Try again. I changed the settings.

danewilson77
11-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks

Marcus-SanDiego
11-11-2010, 05:23 PM
You are welcome, sir.