PDA

View Full Version : jvr826 Checking in from Santa Cruz County, CA!

jvr826
01-04-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm sure I've run into many or all of you out there in BMW forum-land as I've been around since about 1998. Started at Roadfly then moved on to Bimmerfest and occasionally you'll see me at Bimmerforums' track forum and Fanatics audio forum.

I met Marcus at a Bimmerfest event back a long time ago when I had an E39 and we both frolicked around that forum on Bimmerfest.

BMW history...
1996 E36 328is, Boston Green over Sand. Loved it, but it had some issues that nagged me, so I sold it to a private party after about 30 months of ownership.

1999 E39 528i, TiAg over Black leather, sport pkg, premium pkg, xenon. I ordered this from Bimmerfest founder Jon Shafer after meeting him at Roadfly. Owned it for 3 years.

2002 E39 530i, Steel Blue over Black leather, sport pkg, premium pkg, xenon, navigation. Also ordered this from Jon Shafer.

A couple years after getting the 530i I took it to a track event at Sears Point Raceway and learned two things... I would develop a track addiction and the E39 was not worthy of track duty.

2005 E46 330ci ZHP, Sparkling Graphite over Black Leather, xenon, black cube, cold weather, navigation.

The ZHP finished it's break-in period at Thunderhill Race Park rolling on stock brakes and tires. After many events I got the itch for a suspension and installed TC Kline S/A, camber plates, and some other goodies. I've had my hands all over this car inside and out over the past 5+ years modding for performance and handling as well as car audio. I'm also a detailing nutcase and usually spend 10-14 hours giving my car "the treatment" every spring using my arsenal of products and implements of shine.

She's been to over 30 track days since and I still enjoy it, but I don't go as often as I once did. Partially because of expense and time, and partially because I'm not really learning much anymore. I either need to progress into racing (can you say mo' money?) or teach. I'll probably teach unless I win the Mega-Millions $330M tonight at 8:15pm.

If that happens, you'll see me add two stalls to my garage, one with a lift, and fill the other with a 997.2 Porsche GT3. Of course I'll keep the ZHP too!

I'm an active member of my local BMW CCA club, SF Bay's Golden Gate Chapter, where I have replaced KrisL as one of the Autocross Program Coordinators starting this season. Our first event is April 9th, 2011 for any of you who are local and want to get involved.

I'm also a driving instructor with the club's car control program and really enjoy that role. I get to meet all sorts of great people and take extreme pleasure in pushing them beyond their comfort level behind the wheel.

Other than cars I am also into motorcycles and enjoy long-range cruising trips on my 1996 Harley-Davidson Wide Glide. I purchased this bike new in February of 1996 and she's currently showing nearly 112k miles on the clock. I've had my hands all over her too and do all of my own maintenance and work... short of engine internals, but that may change next time she needs something in there. I've beefed her up with suspension and power mods as well... I can't leave anything alone! When she was new I'd log about 10k miles per year, but as the years have gone on, work and other responsibilities have left me less time for the multi-week trips I enjoy so much. I've been across the entire country once and have made it as far east as South Dakota the week before Sturgis 2000 where I logged 7k miles in 21 days. Booyah! That is still the trip that all others are measured against. Last summer I spent 13 days roaming around CA, NV, UT, CO, WY, ID, and OR and logged about 3700 miles and as many smiles.

I'm jvr826 everywhere else too, so if you're looking for any info on stuff I've done to the ZHP, it's out there and mostly at Bimmerfest. I also mentor locals who desire to work on their car, but don't have the space, tools, or know-how, but want to learn. If that's you, get in touch and we'll get to it!

Marcus-SanDiego
01-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you, Jeff.

First, I met Jeff some ten years ago. He's one of my all-time favorite forum friends. I was lucky enough to meet him in person long, long ago. Indeed, he and I came up through the BMW-forum ranks together. We both started at Bimmer.org (before it was Roadfly). We then jumped ship to Bimmerfest.com when Charlie Romero (and Alan) had a falling out with Jon Shafer. Jon started Bimmerfest.com. A bunch of us followed Jon. Because the forums were small back then, a lot of our friends were part of multiple forums. It wasn't unusual for us to have a screen name at five forums. That's how I ended up at e46fanatics, with a 1969 date -- even though I didn't have an E46 until August of 2010. Ha!

Also, and I doubt anyone knows this, Jeff was an adviser to me when I was looking to buy a ZHP. I'd run cars by him and he'd tell me what he thought. When I bought Jeff's (the other Jeff) imola red ZHP, with natural brown leather, Jeff (this Jeff) told me that I had a winner. So, thanks, Jeff.

You're going to fit in nicely with this group, which is why I invited you to join the forum. You share some of the same interests with the Mafia.

I'm looking forward to seeing your screen name on a regular basis.

mimalmo
01-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Welcome

danewilson77
01-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Great having you here....

Nomar06
01-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Welcome....

kayger12
01-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Welcome-- another Sparkling Graphite ci, FTW!!

Glad you joined up!

jvr826
01-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Welcome-- another Sparkling Graphite ci, FTW!!

Glad you joined up!

Thanks and thanks all for the warm welcome. I thought it was rare until I see one roaming around my tiny little town that is nearly identical to mine... well, before I modded it.

pyreguy
01-05-2011, 02:56 AM
welcome! I like that your car has seen track time.

kayger12
01-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Thanks and thanks all for the warm welcome. I thought it was rare until I see one roaming around my tiny little town that is nearly identical to mine... well, before I modded it.

Did you check out the ZHP registry yet?

Still a fairly rare color. Only 10 Graphite out of 218 registered ZHPs so far.

Love your mods, btw.

Alphatek45
01-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Welcome, glad to have you here.

jvr826
01-05-2011, 08:14 AM
welcome! I like that your car has seen track time.

That was 90% of the reason I ordered it. Originally I thought it was as it would be forever... little did I know I'd get the mod bug and soon enough it was up on stands in my garage with parts all over the place. I still have the original suspension and wheels stored, probably have about 20k miles on them is all. I probably should have sold all that back then when it had some value.

I'd really like an LSD. Now that I'm into autocross, another thing I never thought I'd do, it has great value there. I just can't understand why they are so expensive. I have a Jeep Wrangler and I could build both axels up enough to climb over ZHPs all day long and spend half what an E46 LSD would cost... makes no sense!

Gonna add to the registry now.

jjcools
01-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Welcome Jeff. Nice to see more Nor-Cal people joining!

Which town in SC County do you live? I like that area a lot!

jvr826
01-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Boulder Creek, just off the intersection of two of the best bay area driving/riding roads... Route 9 and Bear Creek Road. A little nook of great weather, scenery, and people.

az3579
01-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Join the club with the LSD... Too much money. :(

Mtnman
01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Welcome to the mafia. Sounds like you are going to be a great resource for all of us.

DESANT
01-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Welcome Jeff, glad to have you here.

jjcools
01-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Any pics for us Jeffe?

jvr826
01-14-2011, 03:42 PM
http://photos.linquist.net/2010/2010-08-21-Autocross-Test-Tune/IMG0602/977749940_Aia9a-L.jpg
Golden Gate Chapter Autocross

http://jvrconsulting.com/Gallery/albums/album14/DSC_0007.sized.jpg
Current look (different tires tho)

http://jvrconsulting.com/Gallery/albums/album09/DSC03709b.sized.jpg
2007 - after spending 14 hours detailing her, original wheels

http://jvrconsulting.com/Gallery/albums/album09/DSC03703b.sized.jpg
2007 - after spending 14 hours detailing her

http://jvrconsulting.com/Gallery/albums/album04/MF1A2074.jpg
The Corkscrew - Laguna Seca

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2644/4029087795_e90a69e41a_z.jpg
Interior after Leatherique treatment - best... stuff... evah!

jjcools
01-14-2011, 03:52 PM
That is a clean racer. Nice pics. Thanks

DESANT
01-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Very nice and clean ride, can you tell more about Leatherique?

Thank you.

jvr826
01-14-2011, 04:34 PM
I did a review at Bimmerfest...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406422&highlight=leatherique

A friend of mine had an issue with her M3 when it was hot out. Her words, not mine... smells like ass when the car sits in the sun. I recommended leatherique to defunkify it and she did the full deal. Problem solved. The M leather is even nicer than ours and it looked awesome when she was done.

Looks like they're having a 10% off sale this month...

http://leatherique.com/

DESANT
01-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Wow, thank you very much. 4 sure will buy it and let you know what I think and how it compares to Zaino. I was using Zaino for 4 years and couldn't be happier but I run out of it so.....

MrMaico
01-22-2011, 05:59 AM
Nice to see you here Jeff. It was your review at Bimmerfest to convinced me to try Leatherique, still have your picture gallery saved in Favorites. It completely changed the look of my leather. It always looked and felt too much like plastic/fake leather until I treated it, now it looks and feels like leather should and also helps keep my butt planted when I'm having some fun.

Barry

danewilson77
01-22-2011, 07:57 AM
I know John was inquiring about this (Leatherique) when we were attempting to clear his SRS airbag light. May wanna feed him a review and some tips.

jvr826
01-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Hey Barry... glad you found my post helpful!

My review link is above and tells how I went about it. It's pretty simple to use, but can be messy if you really soak the leather with the rejuvinator. Their website has some step-by-step instructions with photos too.

Warm weather application is best as heating up the interior allows the cow to soak in the nutrients better. Some folks remove the front seats completely and cover them in black plastic lawn bags, then set them out in the sun to bake.

I almost ordered more the other day, but man, the shipping is crazy expensive and put me off. I still have some left.