PDA

View Full Version : From BMWMafia - Baby Convertible Car Seat - Britax Advocate 70 - By billschusteriv

danewilson77
04-23-2012, 04:27 AM
Product (Manufacturer/Model/Etc with link if available): Britax Advocate 70 CS: Next Generation Convertible Car Seat (http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/advocate-70-cs)

Product Photo(s) (stock or own photo):
http://www.britaxusa.com/uploads/products/car-seats/britax-advocate-70-cs-36-211-l.jpg

Product Description (manufacturer or other):

SafeCell Technology features SafeCells designed to compress in a crash, significantly lowering the center of gravity and counteracting the forward rotation of the child seat which normally propels the child toward the front seat

Integrated Steel Bars strengthen the connection to the vehicle and reduce forward flexing of the child seat during a crash

Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether® features a staged-release tether webbing to slow the forward movement, reducing the crash forces reaching the child, and a two-point attachment to minimize forward rotation while anchoring the top of the child seat

Side Impact Cushion Technology features energy-absorbing cushions on the exterior of the child seat to reduce side impact crash energy by 45% by diverting crash forces away from your child and providing extra protection for the adjacent passenger

True Side Impact Protection offers a head restraint creating an extra layer of energy-absorbing EPP foam, keeping the head, neck and spine “in true” or aligned, and deep side walls lined with EPP foam to distribute crash forces, shield from vehicle intrusion, and contain the head, neck and body

Click & Safe® Snug Harness Indicator is an audible aid that provides extra assurance when the harness is within range of appropriate snugness

Tangle-Free, Five-Point Harness distributes crash forces across the strongest parts of the body and provides a secure fit

Harness Ultra Guard System (HUGS™) provides resistance to forward movement in the event of a crash

70-pound Weight Capacity for safety and comfort as your child grows

Rear and Forward Facing Recline for child comfort and positioning

High Density Comfort Foam provides an extra layer of padding to gently cushion your child

Plush, Easy-Remove Cover with matching comfort pads and infant body pillow to provide extra comfort and easy cleaning without disassembling or uninstalling the child seat

Two Buckle Positions for your growing child

Infant Positioning Insert may be necessary for small infants to achieve a snug fit of the harness around your child (sold separately)

Quick-Adjust Harness repositions the harness shoulder height without disassembling the harness straps

Premium Lower LATCH Connectors for a quick and simple installation featuring a push button for easy release

Built-in Lock-Offs ensure a snug lap and shoulder belt installation with minimal effort

Anti-Slip, Contoured Base grips and protects the vehicle seat while offering optimum vehicle fit

Convenient Harness Holders keep harness straps out of the way when placing your child in the car seat

Certified for Aircraft Travel

Made in the USA with global components

MSRP (USD) $369.99

Product Dimensions: 19.5 x 18.5 x 26 inches ; 20 pounds
Shipping Weight: 25.2 pounds
Review:

We picked up this car seat in February when my daughter turned one as she was growing out of her infant car seat and taking a flight to Florida for her birthday.

Immediately after opening the box, I marveled at the size and construction of the seat compared to the infant car seat we had previously. The seat and manual were both large and imposing, yet easy to operate and read. I highly recommend taking some time with the seat and manual to learn how to properly install and utilize this safety device for your little (or not so little) bundle of joy.

Once you are familiar with the seat, installation and removal is quick and painless. As stated above, the car seat weighs about 25 pounds. There are a number of options for securing this seat in your car:

two lower LATCH connectors for use in automobiles newer than 2001;
two seperate lap and shoulder seat belt paths with "lock-offs" for either forward or rear facing; and,
Britax's Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether® which will allow you to further secure the seat to the other tether points in your car (back dash for sedans/coupes or cargo area for wagons when forward facing and sometimes on the floor behind the driver/passenger seats).
The LATCH connectors are, by far, the easiest (and almost fool-proof) way to get this seat installed in your vehicle. I've also used the seat belt method during an airline flight to Florida - this was also easy, but the "lock-offs" required some hand strength to force closed over the seat belt. We attempted to install the Versa-Tether®, when the seat was rear facing, but it made it very difficult to navigate in and around the seat. We've stopped using the tether points and will resume use when the seat goes forward facing.

Pros:

Easy to use
Lots of safety features

Cons:

Not a car seat you want to take in and out of your car every day. At 25 pounds, this seat may be a little heavy for moms to maneuver if swapping out between cars.

Verdict:

Based on my limited experience, this is the best car seat that I have used and wish I would have purchased one from the start!

Non-conflict of interest statement: I certify, at the time of this posting, that neither I nor any member of my immediate family has a material, personal, or financial relationship with the parent company of the product reviewed, or to a direct competitor of the parent company.